Find an unknown x coordinate from know y coordinate of curved line

I have drawn a number of (x,y) charts and i was wondering if there is a way
of locating an unknown  x coordinate with a known y coordinate directly
without having to manually interpolate the data.

For one option see
Interactive Chart
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/interactive_chart_display/index.html

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:41:01 -0800, Deane
<Deane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have drawn a number of (x,y) charts and i was wondering if there is a way
>of locating an unknown  x coordinate with a known y coordinate directly
>without having to manually interpolate the data.
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
Microsoft MVP Excel 2000-present
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel and PowerPoint tutorials and add-ins
0
Tushar
11/6/2009 10:30:50 PM
Check out the TREND function in XL help. For your case, swap the known x's
and known y's (as XL doesn't really care which is which, its just by
definition programmed to "input x, find y")
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Deane" wrote:

> I have drawn a number of (x,y) charts and i was wondering if there is a way
> of locating an unknown  x coordinate with a known y coordinate directly
> without having to manually interpolate the data.

Paste into "Advanced Find" "search for the words:" field????
Am I doing something wrong, or did microsoft really disable the ability to paste into the "search for the words:" field? You can paste into the email address fields, but that is it. I'm trying to search emails for a specific numeric string, and I don't want to have to type a 30 character number from an email when I could easily copy and paste it. Am I doing something wrong or are they really that stupid??? Thanks! Mick Does CTRL V work for you "Mick" <MickBurkellc@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1121234980.931014.46200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >...

how to find a second comma in a text
Hi, I have a text as --> Madison, Dane, Wisconsin How can I find the position of the second comma? thanks, Boon Assuming there is *always* a 2nd comma... =FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)+1) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Boon" <boonyawat.la-ongthong@cnh.com> wrote in message news:OISZ4IGbKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a text as --> Madison, Dane, Wisconsin > > How can I find the position of the second comma? > > thanks, > Boon > > thanks. this works well fo...

how to find numbers that give another number
hi all. I need to make a macro which look up a column of an excel paper and find the numbers that once summed give the number in cell b5 for example!!they could be 2 or 3 ..or 4..and so on!! You would need the solver http://tinyurl.com/4doog example -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsolutions.com "Rossella" <rossy77@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1145464775.044405.243700@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > hi all. > I need to make a macro which look up a column of an excel paper and > find the numbers that once summed give the number in ce...

ReInstallation of Outlook Client off line version on Vista Office 2007 Version 3.0vc
Has anybody successfully managed to achieve this as i need to add a new user to a vista machine which already has a CRM offline user attached. http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/removeclient.mspx Following the above link i know works fine for XP and 2003, but as things have changed in 2007 the above i am sure would not work with the new SQL Database that is installed with Vista and Outlook 2007. Any ideas. ...

Find and replace text thats not wdAlignParagraphCenter alignment
Im trying to make a macro that set alignment on all text to wdAlignParagraphJustify, except text that is wdAlignParagraphCenter. Right now i have this: With ActiveDocument.Content.Find .ClearFormatting .ParagraphFormat.Alignment = wdAlignParagraphRight With .Replacement .ClearFormatting .ParagraphFormat.Alignment = wdAlignParagraphJustify End With .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll End With With ActiveDocument.Content.Find .ClearFormatting .ParagraphFormat.Alignment = wdAlignParagraphLeft ...

Exporting As Text with X Number of Spaces Between Data
Is there a way to export data in a MS Excel spreadsheet as text and define the amount of spaces between the data being exported? The number of spaces need to vary. This concept is the opposite of importing text as "Fixed Width" and creating column break lines. Instead, I'd like to export columns into a text file and specify the amount of spaces between the text that is being exported from each column. The amount spaces in the text file needs to be different between each set of column data. Thanks! One way: Say you have 5 columns, and you want 2 spaces between A &...

Moving average trend line
When graphing, does a moving average trend line give equal weight to all data within the trend period (30 days in my case) or does the more recent data have greater weight (significance)? If the latter, do you know the weighting function? Thanks, Don Culp no weighting is done. Don Culp wrote: > When graphing, does a moving average trend line give equal weight to all > data within the trend period (30 days in my case) or does the more recent > data have greater weight (significance)? If the latter, do you know the > weighting function? > > Thanks, > Don Culp ...

"Disappearing" lines of text in Word docs
I've noticed a really unusual intermittent bug in my version of MS Word. Suppose there are two consecutive lines of text in my document, Line A and Line B. I want to insert a new line between Lines A & B, so I position the cursor in between them and hit return (not highlighting Line B beforehand, because I'm not trying to get rid of it). When I do so, Line B seems to disappear, with the cursor (and empty line in front of it) taking the place of Line B. However, when I hit "page up" or "page down", Line B reappears. Anyone know why this might ...

Find all the files in a folder
I had been using the FileSearch function to locate all the files of a particular type in a folder. Office2007 appears to have replaced that function with a FileSystemObject class, but i can't get that to work. Here is what I had been using. Any help would be appreciated. Set fs = Application.FileSearch With fs .LookIn = Range("C7").Value .SearchSubFolders = True .FileName = "*.csv" If .Execute() > 0 Then Row = 1 For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count Hi Phil This works in 2007 although it is not clear from your co...

Finding X- & Y-intercepts of lines crossing curves
I created some charts with multiple data series by specifying certain points on the curves. THe series are displayed as lines. Now I want to draw (or specify the Y coordinates of) a horizontal line on the chart, & have Excel tell me the X intercepts where the horizontal line crosses each curve. Ditto for drawing a vertical line & reading Y intercepts Any ideas Thanks!! Hi Dale, Maybe you adapt my example of intersections. http://www.andypope.info/charts/intersection.htm Cheers Andy Dale wrote: > I created some charts with multiple data series by specifying certain points on...

Macro to find a row and delete it and the 9 rows above it. #2
Thanks alot that did the trick. This forum and you guys are life saver -- Rusty_n ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Rusty_nl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=671 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31376 ...

Unknown User on Mailbox Rights
I'm running Exchange 2003, and see several entries on any users Mailbox Rights page that show: Account Unknown(S-1-5-21.........) These are probably from people that had rights to the mailbox, but have been deleted from the AD. Is there any way to map that entry to the user (if the user was deleted)? If so, how? Thank you. Ed As far as mapping the entry to a user account, you can view the SID for an account by using ADSIEdit (actual attribute should be objectSID). ADSIEdit is installed with the Windows 2003 Support Tools. You can export the objectSID using LDIFDE, but I don...

Highlight a line in a CListCtrl
I want to highlight a line in a CListCtrl via the code and cant find a member function to do this. Anyone know? >I want to highlight a line in a CListCtrl via the code and cant find a member >function to do this. Chris, By highlight, do you just mean the normal selection state? If so, just use SetItemState with LVIS_SELECTED. Dave and you may require to set this list view extended style to highlight items and subitems (full line) through SetExtendedStyle LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT "David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message news:9gp913dspm6mprunai829je...

(void **)&x
BYTE * a; What does this mean (void **)&a ? -mec It looks like an unspecified pointer type to a pointer to the address of a BYTE pointer which, from you example, is not assigned to any data space :o). It also looks confusing. This link might help you: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/language/tutorial/pointers.html Tom "mec" <mec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E594D380-7505-4E11-BDC6-082F7E3C358E@microsoft.com... > > BYTE * a; > > What does this mean (void **)&a ? > > -mec On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:07:02 -0700, mec <me...

Slow shutdown after installing latest X-Fi and 7900 GTX drivers.
Hello, I was playing the closed and open beta of Company of Heroes Online and I decided to install new drivers for the soundcard and videocard in my computer to be fully up-to-date and maybe it would give some more performance. The drivers installed are: 1. SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0013.exe 2. 258.96_desktop_winxp_64bit_english_whql.exe As expected it caused problems... it's rare not to get problems these days. The symtomps are as follows: 1. Windows shutdown takes very long. 2. First the GUI does nothing except shutdown a few tray icons. 3. It stops with the connectio...

Does anyone know of a template for bid estimate excel sheets? Is.
Check Microsoft Office Web Site or search google for "Bid Estimate" "Excel Template" "Lenora" <Lenora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00E08EC7-D926-49A2-9362-D59FC9088F88@microsoft.com... : ...

adding a Carriage Return or Line Feed character to an update query
I'm building an update query that will concatenate two fields and update the first field with the combination of the two fields. However, I would like to separate the two components with a blank line, or two carriage return or line feed characters. In Visual Basic, I'd use vbcr&vbcr to do this. How can I do this in an update query? Thanks in advance, Paul Paul wrote: >I'm building an update query that will concatenate two fields and update the >first field with the combination of the two fields. However, I would like >to separate the two...

Can I change line numer or column name
I'd like to change my line numbers to specific salespeople and column names to specific months. Does anyone know if thats possible and how to do it? Thanks Dave, you can't change the ones in excel but you can put your own in row 1 and column A, then you can hide the row and column headers if you want, tools options, view, uncheck row and column headers -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Dave Bonneville&q...

Reversing X axis flips Primary Y axis plot but not Secondary Y axis plot
In Excel 2007, I have three columns of values. When I create a scatter chart with these three columns, the first is the X axis data and I can show a Primary Y axis for the second column data and a Secondary Y axis for the third column data. But when I click on "Values in reverse order" on the X axis, only the primary Y axis data plot is flipped, not the secondary axis data. Please test this yourself and see what I mean. I can find no way to fix this problem. Please let me know if you have a solution. In Excel 2007, click on a chart with a secondary axes, then on the [La...

goto next line
XL2000 I have a macro that cuts and past special. is there a code that I can add to this macro that will go to the next line down if the first one is full lets start at J17 thru M17 ok I select the macro and it copies and past into J17 thru M17 now when I select the macro again I want the information to go to J18 thru M19 and so on something like this perhaps x=cells(rows.count,"J").end(xlup).row+1 range("a17:m17").cut range("j" & x) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "~Alan" <mastergasfitter@adelphia.net> wrote in message...

How to delete duplicated records. Each record has four lines
I would like to delete duplicated records from an excel file. Each record has four lines. Thanks. Arcesio, You'll find that none of Excel's tools (Sort, Pivot Tables, Database functions, Subtotals, Charts, Autofilter, Advanced filter, Data form, to name a few), work with multiline records. I think you should look strongly at converting your data to a bona fide database-style table. It will open up all kinds of Excel functionality. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "Arcesio Hernandez" <Arcesio Hernandez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7767...

How to capture global mouse coordinates ?
Hi EB, I need to create an application in MFC that would track the global mouse movement. That means, no matter where the mouse is and no matter whether my application window is active or not, it should show the current mouse coordinates. SetCapture() does not seems to work for me and also it takes lot of CPU. Any clue ? Thanks in advance, -b. >I need to create an application in MFC that would track the global >mouse movement. That means, no matter where the mouse is and no matter >whether my application window is active or not, it should show the >current mouse coordinates. Se...

Find Text in slideshow
Hi Guys I have a slide show with 100 slides I have a text area on the front page and a button called search I am trying to find a macro that will allow me to type into the text box and click search and have it jump to the page it finds that word on any help would be greatly appreciated On 1/7/10 11:35 AM, in article 46B6BC3F-4693-4445-B1CD-B9379A7B665E@microsoft.com, "Haggistech" <Haggistech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi Guys > > I have a slide show with 100 slides > > I have a text area on the front page and a button called se...

Outlook 2003 x Newsgroups
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0849_01C46756.68C9A3B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to read newgroups with my outlook 2003. This is possible? How to do? Tks Kdti Brazil ------=_NextPart_000_0849_01C46756.68C9A3B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = ...

delete line item
Hi all, does RMS records log for DELETE button when ever it is used to delete an item before a transaction is ended??? if it does, how do we find it???? thanks We were looking for the same type of tracking, and here is what we did... we restricted cashier's from being able to delete line items in the security settings, so whenever a cashier makes an error, they "delete the line" by hitting the "-" key. So you have 1 line showing the item, then 1 line showing the removal of the item. It works quite well and logs the event nicely. /Eric "ProNY" w...