Export Chart as GIF on Macintosh OS X

I get an error message trying to export a chart on a Mac running OS X
Excel version "X for Mac, Service Release 1" from the following code:

Sub ExportChart()
MsgBox (ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart.Name)
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart.Export FileName:="mychart.gif"
FilterName:="GIF"
End Sub

... I've never had issues on a PC...and the first MsgBox line work
fine, just as a check...

I get:
"Application Error '1004'"...

Thanks in advance, this is very frustrating...
Ti

In article <tcdunn.140dtd@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 tcdunn <<tcdunn.140dtd@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

> I get an error message trying to export a chart on a Mac running OS X,
> Excel version "X for Mac, Service Release 1" from the following code:
>
> Sub ExportChart()
> MsgBox (ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart.Name)
> ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart.Export FileName:="mychart.gif",
> FilterName:="GIF"
> End Sub
>
> .. I've never had issues on a PC...and the first MsgBox line works
> fine, just as a check...
>
> I get:
> "Application Error '1004'"...

This is a known bug in XLv.X. As a workaround you can save the
activesheet as a web page. Charts will be saved as .gifs in the folder
associated with the html document.

Please send MacBU feedback saying you want this fixed ASAP via the
Help/Feedback on Excel menu item in XL's menu bar.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/1/2004 1:43:18 AM
Thanks for the info and workaround.  Much better than my other
alternative... manual screen shots with [cmd][shitf][3]...

will send the feedback ...

Thanks,
Tim

This is a known bug in XLv.X. As a workaround you can save the
activesheet as a web page. Charts will be saved as .gifs in the folder
associated with the html document.

Please send MacBU feedback saying you want this fixed ASAP via the
Help/Feedback on Excel menu item in XL's menu bar.

---

Import and Export problem
Unfortunately, it became necessary to re-install windows XP due to a problem with a video driver. Before the re-install, I backed up all outlook files by doing an export to a CD and saving all contacts, e-mail folders and calendar to a .pst file. The CD tells me the file is there and they have data in them, but I can not get outlook to import the files back from the CD. I have tried to open the .pst files directly from the CD, specifying outlook at the program, but this will not work. Hopefully, someone will know how to recover my .pst data files as this is the only back-up I have. -- ...

x-y Line Graph question
I have a line graph. X is dates and Y is numeric data. I am plotting 12/1/2005 through 1/30/2006. The problems is my series does not start at the "left most" point of 12/1/2005, it is shifted slightly. And the line does not end at the "right most" point of 1/30/2006. Any ideas will be appreciated. thanks! XL has two distinct chart types even though they look similar, the XY Scatter chart and the Line chart. There is no XY Line graph. I believe you have a Line graph. Double-click the x-axis and from the Scale tab uncheck the 'Value (Y) axis crosses betwe...

Need large gap in chart
I am making a line graph with 2 sets of numbers that are very far apart - one set of numbers is around 7000 to 8000, and the other set is closer to 80,000. Of course, I get one line at the top of the chart that is pretty easy to read, but the line on the bottom that represents the smaller numbers is just TINY and looks pretty much straight. My question is this: is there a way to put a "break" into the graph between the smaller numbered data and the larger ones so they are all easier to read? Like a jagged line showing where the jump occurs or something? Hi, Jon has an exampl...

Excel 2007
When you set reverse categories for the horizontal axis, I noticed that the legend (which I normally placed at the bottom of the chart), did not correspondingly reverse. Is this WAD (working as designed) ? If not, how can i overcome this as the reader would have to mentally "remap" the legend to the bar chart. Thanks very much. Hi, Reversing the Axis categories will not effect the legend order. To do that you need to change the Series Order. In 2007 this is none via the Select Data Source dialog. Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data. Use the Up/Down arrows in the...

Community bank's new software doesn't export in my format
I am still using Money98 which does all of the little tasks I need (no investments at my age). Two national banks provide exports in .qif format as a matter of course, but when my local community bank went to new (better) software, ".qif" was missing from the list of available export formats. I wrote the bank and received word that the bank's vendor didn't support Money98. The bank officer said: "My guess is the contract they have with Intuit and Microsoft stipulates they not support it as those companies want consumers to always upgrade their software.&...

X-axis labels in Excel!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Why isn't there an option any longer to change the x-axis labels from default numbers to source data from the spreadsheet? This is ABSURD! Who on earth doesn't label their x-axis??? Leave it to Microsoft to leave out something so basic and essential. At least everything looks pretty. In article <ee989b5.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, eabboud@officeformac.com wrote: > Why isn't there an option any longer to change the x-axis labels from default > numbers to source data from the spreadsheet? > > This is ABSU...

Reinstalling Office X After a HD Failure
My HD had a catastrophic failure and I had to replace it. Now I am = trying to=20 reinstall Office X from the most recent upgrade disk (I've purchased = every=20 upgrade for as long as I have been using Office) and the software is = looking=20 for the older version for upgrade verification. =20 I've systematically "browsed" to the CDs from every earlier verion I = have, but=20 the verification is not accepted. Suggestions? Rodney Dixon <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My HD had a catastrophic failure and I had to replace it. Now I am trying to > ...

Display order of Bar Chart
How do I get a bar chart to display my data in the order I created it rather then in a sort ascending or descending order. I created my vertical axis categories in the exact order I want the bar chart to display the data however, when the chart is created is rearranged into ascending order of the data not in the order of the categories as I developed it. That is not how Excel behaves; when the data is in rows, the first category of the first row is at the bottom of the bar chart and so on, regardless of the y-values best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.s...

Chart
Hello, I created a line column chart on 2 axis. I have four data sets. The first 3 should go on the primary Y axis as columns and the 4th should go on the secondary Y axis as a line. However, Excel wants to automatically put both the 3rd and 4th data sets on the secondary axis as lines. I cannot find any command to change the 3rd data set to go onto the primary axis as a column. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! -Patty On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, Patty = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I created a line column chart on 2 ...

Gantt Chart Missing One Task Line When Printed
Hello! I am completely stumped here with Project 2007. When printing the gantt chart line 30 of my plan is blank. The line number is there, but the task info and bar is blank. It shows up in print preview. All other lines show up fine and the rest of the project prints fine as per my print settings - just missing one line! Printer drivers are updated, software has current update - anyone ever heard of this? I really appreciate your help! Hi Jean, Do you see a different answer if you turn off 3D bars? Tools > Options, View tab. There were some early problems with 3D ...

Charts and "global" changes
Hello all, I'm actually working in Microsoft Access97, which uses MSGraph 2000 for charting, so I thought this was really a "charting" question... not an Access question. I have an XY scatter chart (using just points... no X or Y error bars or lines) all laid out just fine, but I have a couple of questions that would make my work a lot easier. When the data first displayed on the chart, every data point had a different "style"... circles, triangles, x's, etc... I had to go into every one individually and change them to a black dot at size 3. Isn...

Exporting e-mail to a data file
I've tried a couple of varieties (Access, CSV) with similar results. Neither option includes the "Received" field. Why is that? How do I include the "Received" field in the exported file? Thank you, Bill Allen If you use Access to set up a linked table connected to your mail = folder, you will see the Received date among the available properties. = Third-party export tools are also available; see = http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm#tools --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olco...

Access 2003 VB Code Export Query Failing with Access 2007 user
I have a set of excel export queries I created in an access 2003 DB. Now, some of my users have upgraded to Access 2007 and are running in to a "Parameter" error when the execute the "canned" excel export queries I created for them. My only presumption is that it is due to the fact that I have hardcoded the export function, to go to an Office 2003 Excel file, and for whatever reason, Access 2007 cannot handle this. This make sense? And if so, any suggestions? I suppose if there was an easy way to test what version of office/excel they are running, I could change...

Pie chart
Is there an pie chart type where you can explode just one of the sets of data on the chart? I have access to both Excel/Powerpoint 97 and 2003, but there doesn't appear to be any differences in what's available for pie charts. Is there an add-in or something for variations on these pie or other charts. Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions. Diana Create a regular pie chart in Excel Click on the pie to select it (each slice will have a black handle on its outer edge) Click on the slice that you want to explode (only that slice will now have handles) Drag out the select...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...

How to export a portfolio with Money 2005, please?
I have accounts with more than one mutual fund company and have set them up for online access in Money 2005. I'd like to send a financial planner a snapshot of my "portfolio" - basically fund name and the number of shares in a spreadsheet / csv file, so that they can plug it into their software to analyze my holdings. I've spent some time exploring Money (including the Export choice which appears to export a single account (but all transactions)) but can't seem to find a way to do it. Is what I'm trying to do possible with Money 2005? Thank you, Russell ...

sizing a chart
Two Questions: (1) I have two charts that are exactly the same just showing different data. Is there an easy way to make these charts the exact same size? (2) How can I get them to line up with border lines I have on my worksheet so that they look right on the printout? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have. Hold the Alt key while moving and resizing the charts, and they will stick to the cell boundaries. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Jordan" <Jordan@discussions.microsof...

How do I create a 4-d chart?
I am trying to create a chart with 4 dimensions. In effect, I need a 3-D column chart where the vertical bars are "stacked" colmns. How can I do this? Evanr Have you heard about Tufte's "small multiples" or Cleveland's "trellis" displays? These approaches create a series of small plots instead of trying to put everything into a single overly complex chart. I would stay away form 3D charts in Excel. Trellis is a trademarked by Insightful software. I use the term "panel charts" to reflect trellis and small multiple charts in Excel. I have...

Exporting data to outlook, then updating....
Hi Everyone, I have a calendaring system developed in Visual FoxPro that I would like to use to send calendar information (appointments etc...) to Outlook, and then be able to either "delete and replace" or "update in place" later on. I have many examples of how to send data to Outlook, but haven't come across any that describe how to "synchronize" those items in outlook if they've changed in my VFP application (this only needs to be a one-way sync, once the data is in Outlook, it should be read-only). Is there an easy way to find the items that I've...

This one is tricky....Macro to save file as cell value x in direct
Hi Two cells A1 & B2 I am trying to create a Macro to attach to a button to Save an .xls as "A1".xls in directory R:/SALES/Team 318/"B2" instead of typing it in all of the time.... Any helpers? Past attempts at this have failed.....the winner will get a big MVP vote! Absolute respect Andy Try something like: Sub Test() Dim mypath As String Dim sfile As Range, sdir As Range mypath = "R:\SALES\Team 318\" Set sfile = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1") Set sdir = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B2") ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filen...

Equation in a chart
Dear all There is any possibility to add in the area of a chart a box or a text box or another way and to make it with a simple = to bring me a value of a cell? either a number or a percentage? I currently using Excel XP edition Thanks in advance Manos Hi try the following: - insert this textbox - select the textbox and hit F (to get into the formula bar) - now enter your formula. e.g. ='sheet1'!A1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Manos wrote: > Dear all > > There is any possibility to add in the area of a chart a > box or a text box or another way and...

Drop down list for graphs/charts
My boss wants a drop down box in Excel that will give us about ten different graphs. I did all ten of these graphs individually on separate tabs but my boss wants one tab with a drop down box that when we choose one of the groups, it will give us that graph. Can this be done? Based on the drop-down, in a separate range select the data which you want to plot. And plot this in one graph only. For e.g. you have data A1:A10 for the first graph, B1:B10 for the second. Lets say in M1:M10 use a formula which will get the data from A1:A10 or B1:B10 based on the drop-down selection. Plot M1:M10 o...

Exporting adds a character
I am currently working in an access database (i know this is an excel discussion group, im getting to that.) I have an excel page that is full of formulas, that i really want to be able to use, but i need to work out of access. Now, i can export directly into the excel page that i want to use, but the problem there is that every cell has an extra character added at the beginning of the data. For numbered values its fine, but for all the general values there is an apostrophe added. Is there a formatting issue that i need to work out? I have this question in the access database too, but n...

Creation of New Database and Exporting Tables from an existing Dat
I am splitting 10 existing tables statewise. Each such split table will have a distinct name. Eg: In case of Family table, it will have the name of the Tables as, Family Karnataka, FamilyAndhrapradesh etc. I have opened 25 new / different Databases with the respective names of the states - such as Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh etc. Now, I want to copy these split tables to the respective databases. Such as FamilyKarnataka to the database of Karnataka and FamilyAndhraPradesh to the database Andhra Pradesh. Please duide me... S Haresha Babu Sr Manager (IT) Syndicate Bank ...