Excel Charts with attached comments option

It would be good if you could add a comment to a cell and have an option when
charting that cell to either show the comment or not. The comment should then
be linked to that specific data point.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=60fc0a08-7834-4967-976d-e8af84a0caf0&dg=microsoft.public.excel.charting
0
Neils (1)

You can do this already, not using Excel's built in functionality directly,
but making use of its flexibility. And actually, the programming is already
done. Try one of these two fine (and free) Excel addins:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Neils" <Neils@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It would be good if you could add a comment to a cell and have an option
> when
> charting that cell to either show the comment or not. The comment should
> then
> be linked to that specific data point.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/14/2006 2:03:19 AM
I have tried the XY chart labeler and the comment does not stay locked to the
particular data point if the source data changes. Is there someway to lock it?

"Neils" wrote:

> It would be good if you could add a comment to a cell and have an option when
> charting that cell to either show the comment or not. The comment should then
> be linked to that specific data point.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=60fc0a08-7834-4967-976d-e8af84a0caf0&dg=microsoft.public.excel.charting
0
tomzane (6)
3/14/2006 2:24:32 PM
Tom -

The label will stay locked to the point, but only if you use one of the
default positions (Left, Above, etc.), and then don't adjust the position.

- Jon
-------

"tom zane" <tomzane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried the XY chart labeler and the comment does not stay locked to
>the
> particular data point if the source data changes. Is there someway to lock
> it?
>

> "Neils" wrote:
>
>> It would be good if you could add a comment to a cell and have an option
>> when
>> charting that cell to either show the comment or not. The comment should
>> then
>> be linked to that specific data point.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=60fc0a08-7834-4967-976d-e8af84a0caf0&dg=microsoft.public.excel.charting

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments
I am extremely frustrated by the inability of my friends to send me Level 1 ("Unsafe")attachments, such as URL's, Access databases and such without having to tell them they need to zip the file or change the file name extension. How can I fix this problem? I'm using Outlook 2002 with no service packs updated. Thanks Steve bashed at the keyboard and said..: > I am extremely frustrated by the inability of my friends > to send me Level 1 ("Unsafe")attachments, such as URL's, > Access databases and such without having to tell them > they need to...

Pasting excel chart into powerpoint
Office 2003. When I paste an excel chart into powerpoint, it's not pasting proportionally. I've added text boxes to the chart (in Excel). Also, the original chart is a full page in Excel, however when I paste it into Powerpoint, it's being reduced in size. when I enlarge it, the text boxes (that I added) then overlap one another in powerpoint, where they didn't do this in Excel. I just switched from '97 to 2003 and this wasn't a problem. Perhaps I'll also post this to the powerpoint newsgroup, in case the problem is there instead of excel. I have so...

How do I automatiicaly redefinie Source data range for a chart?
I have A Chart Defined by Category (X) values in Collumn B and Y values in Collumn C. Right now Both are defined by rows 4 to 114. I would like to be able to have the chart automatically redefine itself so if I put a value in C115 the chart would automaticaly set Y value range to be C4:C115 eithout having to manually define chart. Is this possible? If so how? I've tried OFFSET bu so far no luck. Hi, If you turn your data cells into a List, or Table in xl2007, the chart will auto expand. The named range approach will work if you set up the names correctly. See here for more info...

shared workbook in excel 2007
So many horror stories about shared excel workbooks crashing or losing data. I would like to have a shared excel workbook for our budget, shared among 30 people, who would enter in their budgets for specific departments. Are there users that have sucessfully utilized shared workbooks with 20-30 users? If so, what tips/secrets do you have to avoid the pitfalls of other sites, who have problems??? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice How to Create a Quiz with Free Quiz Template in Adobe Flash MX, Flash 8, Flash CS3, Flash CS4 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tuto...

.qfx file in excel
my bank for some reason will only allow me to download my statement in a qfx file (quicken) but i dont have any quicken programs i use excel to manage my finances how can i open this file up??? If the bank does not have .text (.txt) or comma separated variables (.csv), which would probably be listed as spreadsheet format, then I would complain to the bank. Meanwhile you could copy and paste from your checking activity HTML pages. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: ...

Percent increase in excel #2
How could I do a percent increase when I have two tables with money values, one from last year and one from this year? One way: A1: <last year's value> B1: <this year's value> C1: =B1/A1-1 Format C1 as a percentage. In article <29182E64-291B-4B10-804E-88FE105D24AB@microsoft.com>, "Aiko" <Aiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How could I do a percent increase when I have two tables with money values, > one from last year and one from this year? Thank you for your answer, I send you and e-mail because I came up with new pro...

Cannot open pdf attachments
Outlook 2000 When I try to open a pdf attachment it does not open the reader. All I get is junk. Is there a setting that needs to be changed? Yes, check your file associations in Windows (PDF files should be associated with the Acrobat executable). TT wrote: > Outlook 2000 > > When I try to open a pdf attachment it does not open the > reader. All I get is junk. > > Is there a setting that needs to be changed? ...

Excel Formula Help #6
Hi Everyone I have six numbers and letters in a cell on a spreadsheet and I am using the formula =RIGHT(F1,1) to obtain the first letter or number. However the formula is not picking the first number or letter in the string in all cases. Some of the cells are left blank. Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow > .. Some of the cells are left blank Probably these are trailing white spaces which can be cleaned up using TRIM Try it as: =RIGHT(TRIM(F1),1) High-five? Click YES below -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:23,500 Files:370 S...

Unable to start up my Excel files
One of my users have this odd issue with his Excel 2003. He's unable to start the files directly but instead he must start a blank excel sheet then open his files from there. Is there a solution to this issue? Please advise. Thanks! Dell 170L P4 800mghz 1gbram Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2003 SP2 Could the problem be that he cannot open files by double-clicking on them from Windows Explorer, but must open Excel (which will launch a blank sheet) and then open them directly from there using File / Open... If so then tell him to try Tools / Options / General / untick 'Ignore Othe...

Running Balance in excel pivot table
Hi, Have rows: Product, transaction no have data fields: qty rec, qty iss, balance (calculated field: qty rec - qty iss) want balance to be a running total with base field of product so want something like: ======================================================= product--------doc no-----------------rec-------------------- iss-----------------------balance ======================================================= acetic acid -------------------opnbal/ 1-----------------4----------------------0---------------------- (4-0)=4 -------------------sales/ inv-----------------0--------------------...

drawing excel like grids on access reports
Hi All, I want to draw excel like grids on my access reports. The line should start from the top of each label in the page footer to the bottom of the corresponding text box in the page footer.(For each text box in the detail section, there's one unbound text box in the page footer to display totals). I don't know how to do this. can anyone please help me? -- from chanakya Baruva Can't you use rectangle or line controls in your various sections? These should work unless your sections are set to Can Grow. If this is the case, you may need to use the Line method ...

Create New Company option missing
Create New Company is missing from GP Utilities. Anyone know how to get this option back? EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com Rick, Make sure you can locate the SQL folder under your Microsoft Dynamics GP installation folder. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "Rich Fisk" wrote: > Create New Company is missing from GP Utilities. Anyone know how to get this option back? > > EggHe...

Why is Excel trying to access the network
I'm pasting some text into a cell - it did come from a website, but it's not a link or anything. It's just plain text - why the need to access the network? Maybe it's another cell, switch to formula view and see if you see something else. Because the formula view may not show everything, you might want to copy to another sheet so you can adjust columns to see your formulas better without affecting the column widths on the original. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm ...

Attachment lockups, not responding
First I will describe the issue: This occurs on Windows 2000 and Windows XP (with all updates) and with Office XP and Office 2003 (all updates). When I start a new message I attach a Word document (various sizes) from my drive, and proceed to preview (double clicking) the attachment the Open or Save as prompt box locks up from 5-60 seconds or more. This happens when I'm connected to the network or disconnected, even in Safe Mode. I have tried disabling the Word editor in Outlook, Spell checker and that seems to not help at all. This problem only exists on a certain model compute...

column totals on stacked column chart
Hi. Is there a good way to get the column totals on a stacked column chart to appear above the columns? All I have gotten so far is the individual pieces of the column to show their values inside of the column, but the user wants the column total, above the column. Thanks. Mark Hi, Assuming your chart is a 2d stacked column you could use dummy data series plotted on the secondary axis to display the total. Create yourself a helper column on your worksheet that sums the values of each column. Add this to the chart. At first it will be an extra portion on each stack. Select the serie...

Excel no more new fonts
I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied to this workbook". How can I get around this? Thanks. Tuan, Any chance that you have a lot of charts in the workbook? There's a limit of 256 fonts in a workbook and each chart uses up two of them. Check here for more info. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;168650 John "Tuan Ma" <tma@conocophillips.com> wrote in message news:0e5201c365f4$c036d370$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied > to this workbook". How can...

Outlook 2007 (Trial) Tools->Options and Tools>Customize disabled
Hi, I've just installed Outlook 2007 (Trial) (12.0.4518.1014) onto a fresh Vista Home Premium Platform. The install went fine, but when I accessed the Tools menu, I found the "Customize" and "Options" menu items to be disabled. I still have 2 weeks before my trial license expires. Is this a restrictions on the trial version? Thanks, Randy Trial versions of all Office programs are full versions limited only to = the 30 or 60 day trial limit. Have you tried running Office Diagnostics on your Office installation? = Where in Outlook are you seeing these items...

Set color for chart serie in excel 2007/2010
Hi! I want to do a macro that sets the color for the chart series to the color the company has desided to use. We have a theme but we can only set color for the first 6 series and we often use much more series. I have understod that this isnt so easy as to loop thru the series and set the color since the color is set on different ways depending on the charttype for the serie, or is it a way to do this so it works for all chart types? thanks As you say only six basic colours are available. However each subsequent set of six is a shade lighter, although each incremental differe...

Excel charts into powerpoint
Is there some simple code that I can use to get a group of excel charts into an existing powerpoint presentation? ...

Custom Type Charts Problem
I am using Custom Type Charts in Excel, which uses Pivot Table as the Data Source. The problem that I am facing here is that whenever I Refresh the data using the Refresh icon, the Custom Type charts LOOSE their formatting. To make my problem clearer, I am attaching a sample Excel sheet herewith. In the sample file, go to 3rd sheet "Custom Type Chart" and have a look at the "Tubes" chart. Now click on the "!" Icon (this is the Refresh icon). The formatting of the chart changes. Try this out with the "Normal Chart". The formatting remains the same. ...

Display comments as data #2
thanks a lot , this worked exactly as required, the comment go converted to data Now just one more thing . is the vice versa possible i.e if i have dat in column A can it be shown as comment in column B. the reason i need this is bcos i am shifting some data with thei comments to MS access(Hence the need to convert omments to data) processing them and again converting them to excel (the need to conver data back to comments -- sonik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sonika's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=...

Excel 2002 Problem
My first message accidentally sent before I finished typing in the second problem. Second problem again: Macro buttons that I have created and placed on my Formatting toolbar do not work when I open Excel 2002 and have two or more workbooks open. The macros for each button are stored in my Personal workbook. I get a message saying "A document with the name PERSONAL.XLS is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name." However, if I go to customize toolbars, I can reassign the macro to each button and the buttons work fine. If I close Excel and open ...

Virus in Excel ???
I can't right click, copy and paste a cell. I can use ctrl c and ctrl v but that puts the info in the clipboard. The blinking dotted box no longer appears. Is this in a worksheet of yours, that nobody else has used? There is a way to use VBA code to prevent you from using right click to do anything. tod >-----Original Message----- >I can't right click, copy and paste a cell. I can use ctrl c and ctrl v but >that puts the info in the clipboard. The blinking dotted box no longer >appears. >. > Yes a new worksheet. The right click works. I can copy but when ...

Chart turns gray.. can anyone help
Hi, I am working with a large file.. but not as big as others. This one has a few charts. When I add another it starts acting weird... turning totally gray unless I click on it...? its it the fact that its not embedded or not in front or in back of the worksheet? Thanks for any helpful ideas on correcting this. Go to Options on the Tools menu, click on the View tab, and under Objects, select View All. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Steve Kay wrote: > Hi, I am working with a large file.. but ...

Creating signatures but leaving them optional
Hello -- I've just had to re-load my operating system and then Office (and Outlook). The way I used to be set up, I had a signature that I could include in an outgoing email message by going Alt-I-S (and then I think the first letter of the name of the signature). In more than half my emails, I don't use a signature, but in others, I have a standard signature I want to include. So I'd like to be able to include the signat ure with a simple key-stroke combination, but otherwise leave messages unsigned. I can't figure out how to do this now -- if I create a signature, i...