Excel Chart #2

I am developing a chart on Excel.  I have two columns
with numbers.  A third column has a formula to average
the two numbers.  I want to graph the average.  Problem
is my graph looks bad.  If I enter the two numbers, they
are averaged in the third column and graphed correctly.
The problem is Excel interprets rows that have not been
entered as zero and graphs them as zero.

I would like rows that have not yet have data entered
into them to be treated as if there is no data and thus
not be graphed.

Hope someone can help me?  I need this for a project I
working on to graph the pH of a pond.

thanks
John
0
fife (3)

Use the NA function in the formula, and the cells won't be plotted as
zero. For example:
   =IF(AND(B2="",C2=""),NA(),AVERAGE(B2:C2))

Your worksheet will show #N/A errors which you can hide with conditional
formatting. There are instructions here:

   http://contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Errors

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
11/1/2003 12:46:23 PM
Use

=IF(COUNT(A2:B2)=0,#N/A,AVERAGE(A2:B2))

for your average column.

Jerry

John wrote:

> I am developing a chart on Excel.  I have two columns
> with numbers.  A third column has a formula to average
> the two numbers.  I want to graph the average.  Problem
> is my graph looks bad.  If I enter the two numbers, they
> are averaged in the third column and graphed correctly.
> The problem is Excel interprets rows that have not been
> entered as zero and graphs them as zero.
>
> I would like rows that have not yet have data entered
> into them to be treated as if there is no data and thus
> not be graphed.
>
> Hope someone can help me?  I need this for a project I
> working on to graph the pH of a pond.
>
> thanks
> John

0
post_a_reply (1395)
11/1/2003 12:48:18 PM
Thank you.  I will give this a try.

John

0
fife (3)
11/2/2003 6:41:57 AM
Thank you.  I will give this a try too.

John

0
fife (3)

Highlighting cells #2
Excel 2007 sp1 with vista 32 business sp1 Background: When you highlight multiple non-contigious cells (i.e. hold the control key down and select several cells that are not connected) Excel highlights the selected cells in light blue. Problem: This light blue does not show at all on many projectors. In some case you can adjust the color temp and this helps. We do hundreds of presentation in North America each year and can not control what projection equipment we will be using. Requested solution: I would change the light blue background that is applied to selected cells to some other colo...

Store Operations crashes when viewing journal (F4) on register 2.
We have two registers, register 1 is the main machine where the database is located and register 2 is networked into it. Whenever you try to view the journal (F4) on register 2, the program crashes and gives this message just before closing: Run-time error '-2147417848 (80010108)': Automation error The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Install a default windows printer on register 2 - even if it's just something like the print to fax or MS Office Document...

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Excel not Access

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Excel 2007

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Chart template?
I am working with a chart, created from a pivot table. The chart has the various [drop down] fields available for selecting different values for the chart to show. I have formatted the chart with specific settings, fonts, colors, etc., but everytime I use one of the dropdowns, the formatting goes back to the default. I have looked for a place to save as a template, or defaults without luck. Thanks for any help you can provide! Alan ...

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

help with simple maths in excel

Excel Problem

Please ignore #2