Excel 2007 Scatter Plot Freak Out!

I am a fairly experience Excel XP and 2003 user and I have a few questions:

Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU
computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl?  Is this a feature?  It's never done
that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application.

How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot?  Not that I need
them, all my end users prefer scatter plots with no axis labels.  That way
the charts can be interpreted any way they please.  Yet another feature?

Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one add
a 2nd degree polynomial trend line to the data?  And why is it when I try to
do that and display the polynomial equation on the chart a linear equation is
displayed?  Is Excel 2007 dropping the 2nd degree factor from the trend line
label or is Excel 2007 refusing to do a quadratic fit because it thinks I do
not have enough data points?  Another  feature, right?

0
PaulZ (1)

Paul Z  -

> How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot? <

Chart Tools | Layout | (Labels) Chart Title | ...
and
Chart Tools | Layout | (Labels) Axis Titles | ...

> Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one
> add a 2nd degree polynomial trend line ... <
and
> when I try to do that <

So, it seems you do know how to add a polynomial of order 2 trendline, but
you don't like the result. When I use four points and "look at the data" and
there is an obvious curvilinear relationship, Excel produces an appropriate
quadratic fit. If I use four points that are exactly linear, Excel does not
include the squared term in the best fit.

-  Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Paul Z." <PaulZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a fairly experience Excel XP and 2003 user and I have a few questions:
>
> Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU
> computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl?  Is this a feature?  It's never
> done
> that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application.
>
> How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot?  Not that I need
> them, all my end users prefer scatter plots with no axis labels.  That way
> the charts can be interpreted any way they please.  Yet another feature?
>
> Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one
> add
> a 2nd degree polynomial trend line to the data?  And why is it when I try
> do that and display the polynomial equation on the chart a linear equation
> is
> displayed?  Is Excel 2007 dropping the 2nd degree factor from the trend
> line
> label or is Excel 2007 refusing to do a quadratic fit because it thinks I
> do
> not have enough data points?  Another  feature, right?

0
mike5208 (300)
3/8/2007 10:04:26 PM
Since the other features have been addressed, I guess I'll tackle this one:

"Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU
computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl?  Is this a feature?  It's never done
that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application."

I figure it must be a feature - does same on both my AMD X2 4800+ dual-core
2GB system and on my Intel E6600 Core-Duo 2GB systems.  Doing one set of x-y
scattercharts on either of those two machines takes 11 to 12 minutes to
complete, and once complete, then system performance while in Excel is on par
with a laptop with a dead battery.  Same work on a single-core AMD 3200+
system with 1 GB of RAM and Excel 2003 takes about 1minute 40 seconds.

"Paul Z." wrote:

> I am a fairly experience Excel XP and 2003 user and I have a few questions:
>
> Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU
> computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl?  Is this a feature?  It's never done
> that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application.
>
> How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot?  Not that I need
> them, all my end users prefer scatter plots with no axis labels.  That way
> the charts can be interpreted any way they please.  Yet another feature?
>
> Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one add
> a 2nd degree polynomial trend line to the data?  And why is it when I try to
> do that and display the polynomial equation on the chart a linear equation is
> displayed?  Is Excel 2007 dropping the 2nd degree factor from the trend line
> label or is Excel 2007 refusing to do a quadratic fit because it thinks I do
> not have enough data points?  Another  feature, right?

I would like to experiment with this. Can you send me a file with data (no
chart) and tell me what activity makes a dual cpu system crawl.
Thanks
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"JLatham" <HelpFrom @ Jlathamsite.com.(removethis)> wrote in message
> Since the other features have been addressed, I guess I'll tackle this
> one:
>
> "Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU
> computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl?  Is this a feature?  It's never
> done
> that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application."
>
> I figure it must be a feature - does same on both my AMD X2 4800+
> dual-core
> 2GB system and on my Intel E6600 Core-Duo 2GB systems.  Doing one set of
> x-y
> scattercharts on either of those two machines takes 11 to 12 minutes to
> complete, and once complete, then system performance while in Excel is on
> par
> with a laptop with a dead battery.  Same work on a single-core AMD 3200+
> system with 1 GB of RAM and Excel 2003 takes about 1minute 40 seconds.
>
> "Paul Z." wrote:
>
>> I am a fairly experience Excel XP and 2003 user and I have a few
>> questions:
>>
>> Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU
>> computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl?  Is this a feature?  It's never
>> done
>> that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application.
>>
>> How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot?  Not that I
>> need
>> them, all my end users prefer scatter plots with no axis labels.  That
>> way
>> the charts can be interpreted any way they please.  Yet another feature?
>>
>> Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one
>> add
>> a 2nd degree polynomial trend line to the data?  And why is it when I try
>> do that and display the polynomial equation on the chart a linear
>> equation is
>> displayed?  Is Excel 2007 dropping the 2nd degree factor from the trend
>> line
>> label or is Excel 2007 refusing to do a quadratic fit because it thinks I
>> do
>> not have enough data points?  Another  feature, right?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Office 2007 conversion to office 97 toolbars
I have Office 2007 on two laptops and i hate the new tool bars. Is there a converter to get the Office 97 tools bars to display? Try this link for an Add-On: <http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-18483_4-10637184&ontId=18483_4&spi=ca8ce47486251af8383c1da88963710e&lop=link&tag=tdw_dltext&ltype=dl_elite_dlnow&pid=11110773&mfgId=6254316&merId=6254316&pguid=m6kYFwoPjAIAADLhMj0AAABs&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2F3001-18483_4-10637184.html%3Fspi%3Dca8ce47486251af8383c1da88963710e> OR <http://download.cnet.com/...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Re: Outlook 2007 create background
I played around with this further. You can still use any HTML editor to = create stationery and place it in the user's Stationery folder. You can = also use FrontPage 2003 to create new themes with background images. = Details at = http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!230.e= ntry --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =...

Why does [group] appear after the filename in Excel 2003?
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 this morning. An Excel document I created yesterday in a shared network location that has never been touched by anyone but me is now opening with [Group] status. I need to activate Autofilter, but it is unavailable (greyed) on the Tools --> Filter menu. I also can't locate a definition for this setting or how to turn it off, nor do I have any idea why it is in this "group" mode. It is definitely not a shared workbook. Please help! You may have more than one sheets selected simoultaneously. Righclick a sheet tab and select ...

Show Excel in two separate instances/two monitors?
I've recently been upgraded to two monitors (one of the few things IT has done right around here!). But try as I might, I can't get two Excel (2003) workbooks to show in two separate instances so I can put one on each monitor! Any solutions? Ed Hi Ed, open 2 workbooks -- click the Maximize button (so you are in resize mode) --- drag a workbook by the titlebar to the second monitor... Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * Ed wrote: > I've recently been upgraded to t...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

Outlook Connector for Hotmail & Outlook 2007
I couldnt synchronize properly with my hotmail account and my calendars, tasks, contacts doesnt sync the current connector doesn't work with outlook 2007 - you need to wait for an updated version of the connector. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Sounds with Excel
Hello Friends Is it possible and how can I do this task with ExcelXp: If the value of cell A1 on "my worksheet" in "my workbook" is "1"-play any sound, If cell A1 is empty-don't play sound. For the next cell on the same sheet B1: if B1=1- play sound different than the sound for the cell A1, if B1 is empty-don't play sound. If both cells A1=1 AND B1=1 play sound different than the sounds for cell A1 and cell B1. I'm running WindowsXP. Thank you. Hi Tim have a look at http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm Frank Tim wrote: > Hello Friends...

Too many points on xy scatter plot!
I have been searching for a way to limit the number of symbols in an xy plot. When I have a couple of columns of several hundred points that I want to plot on the same chart, I need a way to differentiate them in black and white. I can do thick and thin, but if I want to use symbols, they all overlap to make a thick line. Dashes overlap to make a thin line. Is there a way to only put a symbol every tenth point or something similar? Thanks! Steve Jon Peltier has instructions for this in his Charting FAQ article: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#j...

display countdown timer in Excel
I'd like to display (in Excel 2003) a countdown timer in a worksheet (either in a cell or a textbox or other control). I want the user to be able to see the clock tick down from say 20 seconds to 0 in one second increments (or decrements, I guess). Is there a function that will do this? If this is somethingVBA can handle better, I can post this question in the programming newsgroup. Thanks, Bert It has to be done through VBA. You could write code or have someone do it for you. That someone would be Bob Phillips who has a free downlaodable workbook with a Timer setup. http://...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

MSP 2007 resources help
Hi all, Three questions: 1. What the constraint A<B,C means and how can I entering in the MSP? 2. I have 3 kinds of human resources. Lets say for example, kind A are engineers. I have 8 of them and everyone is costing 1500 Euros/month. Task A needs 4 engineers. How can I assign them to the task and add the appropriate cost? 3. I have 3 machines as a resource. Each machine has a usage cost of 3000 euros per task and function cost 2400 euros per month. How can I assign them in the appropriate tasks? And how can I distribute their cost? Thank you in advance -- - Hello...

Outlook 2007 CRM error
I get an error when starting Outlook that I have no CRM functionality, event ID 5897 shows up in the app logs with an autentication error message 0x8007002. Any ideas on what I should be looking for or how to fix this? ...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Cannot Close Outlook 2007. it keeps recovering info and restarting
Hi, I installed Windows Update KB980248 and updated the Bluetooth device driver three days ago. But since then I found I could not close Outlook. Every time I clicked close on top right corner, the main window closed but the outlook icon on the tray did not go away. Instead, it gave out a dialog saying 'Outlook stopped working', and then another dialog 'Outlook is trying to recover your information', followed by a dialog 'Outlook is restarting'. Then it restarted and the full window came back. I have been using Outlook 2007 for more than 2 years and it...

Outlook 2007 Delegate not receiving invite emails
One of my assistants is not always receiving meeting invites (on behalf of) from our clients even though the executive she supports has her as a delegate. They are both using Outlook 2007 on a 2007 exchange server. Any ideas or others having this trouble? ...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

Cannot Start Outlook 2007
I downloaded an update for Outlook 2007 today and now cannot open the program. I get error message which says" Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. I need some help please. This is my business email and I am out of luck. Thanks "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C97BB9D-810F-471F-B90F-64AE65FEE76B@microsoft.com... > I downloaded an update for Outlook 2007 today and now cannot open the > program. I get error message which says" Cannot start Microsoft Office > Outlook. Cannot...

creating shared calendar in outlook 2007
Hi, I would like to create a shared calendar (diary, bookings) for the corporate, the thing is, when I go to organization and default folders, I'm able to create but when I go to OWA or Outlook 2K7 can't seem the folder (either rss and others, only the main mailboxs), also I cannot see public folder , only mailbox in bot owa and outlook 2k7. What is the best method to create a shared calendar? Sorry, I'm completely newbie regarding ex2k7 On 4 Mar 2007 03:50:49 -0800, "k0D" <camocas@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I would like to create a shared calendar (di...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

What defines an advanced level of Excel?
I was wondering if somebody could help me with this. I was looking at applying for an office assitant job and it said I needed an advanced level of Excel. I have been using Excel for some time now, although I recently decided to do a short course starting from the basics to help identify what I may be missing in my knowledge. We didn't delve into complex formulars but covered all our basics and gave our selves the background knowledge to explor further. I am all over the place, such as inputing data, retreiving data from sources such as SQL server, text files and so on. Formatt...

Templates for Excel 2003
Hey y'all, Is the only way to get templates now through Office On Line rather than a direct download that works on my PC? I don't want anything to do with Office On Line. I don't want to have to download 2 Active X scripts just to get a template. I tried downloading one directly, but I got a message that indicated that I needed the Active X crap. Bah! TIA, Mike W. ...

problem while using excel
hi, exel sheet displaying page number in background in each and every cell of my sheet in background And displaying message first while opening the sheet as "margins doesn't fit can you please help me with this issue?? View > Normal -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200786 While i am using excel, when i try to copy and paste words, the program becomes very sluggish. very laggy and slow. how do i resolve this? You probably have a lot of formulae, go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>CALCULATION and change it to manual, you can then calculate the workbook by pressing F9, take a look ...