excel 2007, how to select a data point and cycle through data points

I've searched the archives but can find nothing on this topic.

Prior to excel 2007, I could select a data series (xy scatter chart)
and press the right arrow key to cycle through the data points, and a
data point highlighter would move from point to point so I would know
which point was currently selected.  Through many versions of excel I
have found this feature very useful.

Excel 2007 seems to be missing the little data point highlighter.  I
can still format individual data points, but I don't know beforehand
which point is selected.

Is this a know feature of excel 2007?  Is it known a bug?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

I have an addition.

I have now seen that on at leaste some charts the point highlighter
does appear in excel 2007.

In one file of mine with two charts on a worksheet, the point
highlighter appears on one chart but not the other.  In all other
excel versions, the highlighter always appears on all charts.

Brian

Hi,

For me I see a visual clue by the 4 dots enclosing each data point as I move
through.
Additionally if you click the Layout or Format contextual tab you will see
the name of the currently selected item in the Current Selection group.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
<bmurphy@xlrotor.com> wrote in message
>I have an addition.
>
> I have now seen that on at leaste some charts the point highlighter
> does appear in excel 2007.
>
> In one file of mine with two charts on a worksheet, the point
> highlighter appears on one chart but not the other.  In all other
> excel versions, the highlighter always appears on all charts.
>
> Brian

0
andy9699 (3616)
9/3/2007 8:11:57 AM
FWIW, I cannot reproduce Brian's problem. When highlighting a series, Excel
2007 (and prior versions) may not highlight each point in the series, but
when arrowing through the points, each point in turn is highlighted.

I have added the Chart Elements dropdown to my QAT, where I've found it very
helpful. (It and the PT Wizard the only things I've added to the QAT, due to
a philosophical problem with the QAT, but that's another story.)

Brian - I know your charts are very detailed, with many series of many
points. If the marker size is small, the four dots are harder to see. (In
general I feel that the element highlighting in Excel 2007 is less visible
than in prior versions, but I guess they had to change the whole look and
feel of the interface.) With complex charts, especially those that go
through a lot of revision during their history, funny things sometimes
happen. If you rebuild your troublesome chart from scratch in one sequence
of steps, does it then behave?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> For me I see a visual clue by the 4 dots enclosing each data point as I
> move through.
> Additionally if you click the Layout or Format contextual tab you will see
> the name of the currently selected item in the Current Selection group.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> <bmurphy@xlrotor.com> wrote in message
>>I have an addition.
>>
>> I have now seen that on at leaste some charts the point highlighter
>> does appear in excel 2007.
>>
>> In one file of mine with two charts on a worksheet, the point
>> highlighter appears on one chart but not the other.  In all other
>> excel versions, the highlighter always appears on all charts.
>>
>> Brian

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/3/2007 2:34:02 PM
A file containing one worksheet with two charts is at the following
location

www.rotordynamics.org/public/book2.xlsx

For me, the top chart in this file does not show the highlighter, the
bottom chart does.

There aren't a whole lot of points or series in these charts, and the
symbol sizes are the same.

I just re-ran the macro that created that sheet and those charts, and
the charts on the newly created sheet do show the highlighter on both
charts.

I guess Excel 2007 has its own ideas about when to show the
highlighter, and when not to.

Brian

> A file containing one worksheet with two charts is at the following
> location

"The page cannot be found."

> I just re-ran the macro that created that sheet and those charts, and
> the charts on the newly created sheet do show the highlighter on both
> charts.

This backs up my suggestion that there was "something wrong" with the
original file. What it was, I can't say. Sometimes we say a chart, a sheet,
or a workbook is "corrupt", without really knowing what that means. But
starting over with a fresh chart, sheet, or workbook clears up the problem.
Gremlins on your hard drive? Cosmic rays?

- Jon
-------

>A file containing one worksheet with two charts is at the following
> location
>
> www.rotordynamics.org/public/book2.xlsx
>
> For me, the top chart in this file does not show the highlighter, the
> bottom chart does.
>
> There aren't a whole lot of points or series in these charts, and the
> symbol sizes are the same.
>
> I just re-ran the macro that created that sheet and those charts, and
> the charts on the newly created sheet do show the highlighter on both
> charts.
>
> I guess Excel 2007 has its own ideas about when to show the
> highlighter, and when not to.
>
> Brian

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

SIP/RTC Audio Codec selection
Hi, When a SIP invite is made with the available codecs, what determines which codec is used? I've followed msdn doc http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee501014.aspx to set the prefered codec but this does not work. I also did not see any API calls that will either set the codec to be used or force a specific codec for use in any session. Is their a way to do this? I'm using WinCE 6 R2. ...

Excel 2007

Select Method of Range class failing???
Hello, I keep getting the following error in my macro: Run-time error '1004': Select method of Range class failed When simply trying to select cell A1 in a worksheet of mine. I can' figure out for the life of me why this would be failing. Here's m script (literally): Range("A1").Select I am simply trying to position the cursor on a worksheet in preparatio for a possible operation. I have never had this fail on me before an I can't figure it out now. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks in advance, -Pet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelF...

data input in text box

MS Money 95 data files

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access