Excel 2000 Line Chart Problem...HELP !!!!

I want to plot a line chart of interest rate changes.

The rates change a maximum of once a month on a pre-set day an
sometimes may not change for several months.

If I plot the line chart in excel the line it draws simply join
together the points so I get diagonal lines between two periods as i
the rate had changed progessively from one rate fixing to the next.

This is not the case.

The rate steps vertically from one fixing to the next.

ie 1st May rate is fixed at 4% then 1st June rate fixes to 4.25%

I only want to show months on my x-axis not all 365 days of the year.

Excel will show a smooth progression from 4% 1st May to 4.25% 1st Jun
giving the appearence that on 15th May the rate was 4.125%

What should be shown is that on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ....... 15th, 16t
...... 31st May the rate was 4% and that on 1st June it went verticall
up to 4.25 %.

How can I achieve this.

I have looked at numerous tutorials and cannot find the answer.

All help gratefully received.

Many Thnx

Jozz ;-

If you can switch to a XY Scatter chart, you can use the technique on
the Excel/Charts/Step chart page of my web site.

Otherwise, if you want to stick with a line chart *and* the x-values
are 'time', modify your data so that

1-Jan	10
1-Feb	12
1-Mar	15

becomes

1-Jan	10
1-Feb	10
1-Feb	12
1-Mar	12
1-Mar	15

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <jozz65.1658v5@excelforum-nospam.com>, jozz65
<<jozz65.1658v5@excelforum-nospam.com>> says...
> I want to plot a line chart of interest rate changes.
>
> The rates change a maximum of once a month on a pre-set day and
> sometimes may not change for several months.
>
> If I plot the line chart in excel the line it draws simply joins
> together the points so I get diagonal lines between two periods as if
> the rate had changed progessively from one rate fixing to the next.
>
> This is not the case.
>
> The rate steps vertically from one fixing to the next.
>
> ie 1st May rate is fixed at 4% then 1st June rate fixes to 4.25%
>
> I only want to show months on my x-axis not all 365 days of the year.
>
> Excel will show a smooth progression from 4% 1st May to 4.25% 1st June
> giving the appearence that on 15th May the rate was 4.125%
>
> What should be shown is that on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ....... 15th, 16th
> ..... 31st May the rate was 4% and that on 1st June it went vertically
> up to 4.25 %.
>
> How can I achieve this.
>
> I have looked at numerous tutorials and cannot find the answer.
>
> All help gratefully received.
>
> Many Thnx
>
> Jozz ;-)
>

> ---

jozz65

Double click on the lines, choose patterns and in the line section choose none.  This will only show the data points

Hope this helps.
0
anonymous (74722)
5/12/2004 1:56:05 PM
Tushar

Many Thanks

The X - Y Scatter is problematical as I am actually using two axi
(Which I failed to mention ;-)  ).

Your other solution works fine and seems so simple when you think abou
it..... Doh !

Thanks again for the speedy response.

Luck

Jozz ;-

You are welcome.  Glad to be of help.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Multi-disciplinary business expertise
  + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2004

In article <jozz65.165fbo@excelforum-nospam.com>, jozz65
<<jozz65.165fbo@excelforum-nospam.com>> says...
> Tushar
>
> Many Thanks
>
> The X - Y Scatter is problematical as I am actually using two axis
> (Which I failed to mention ;-)  ).
>
> Your other solution works fine and seems so simple when you think about
> it..... Doh !
>
> Thanks again for the speedy response.
>
> Luck
>
> Jozz ;-)
>

> ---

Tushar

excel database 25,000 plus names #2
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 ...

Need some advanced help on this one!
Hi guys, I found a sample Access program that takes data from its database to generate an EDI EDIFACT ORDERS file (OrdersS93a.edi). Here is the code: Private Sub Command0_Click() Dim oEdiDoc As Fredi.ediDocument Dim oSchema As Fredi.ediSchema Dim oInterchange As Fredi.ediInterchange Dim oGroup As Fredi.ediGroup Dim oTransactionset As Fredi.ediTransactionSet Dim oSegment As Fredi.ediDataSegment Dim oConn As ADODB.Connection Dim oRsInterchange As ADODB.Recordset Dim oRsGroup As ADODB.Recordset Dim oRsTransactionSet As ADODB.Reco...

Banking Services Update Problem #2
I have successfully completed all of the steps as provided for in the update instructions. Initially updates were received as usual. However, now all of the accounts that were disabled and set-up again are failing to update. Message received is "Update unsuccessful" and call summary message is "Microsoft Money could not update your account. Please try to update your account again." Also after updating, the accounts that were updated never displayed a password text box. I went through the disable and set-up process again and still no password text box on the upd...

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Excel button problem