Excel 2000: How do I make a simple chart with *two* value axes?

I am struggling to do something very basic in Excel 2000.
I'm starting to think it is impossible, which is hard to
imagine. So, can someone help?

In a nutshell, the problem is that Excel seems to specify
only one "value" axis, with the other being a "category"
axis. Whereas I want two value axes. Is there a way to do
that?

If you didn't understand that...

Let's say I have three lines I want to plot:

Line #1: (1, 10), (10, 20), (50, 30)
Line #2: (1, 15), (10, 25), (50, 35)
Line #3: (1, 17), (10, 27), (50, 37)

So each line has x values 1, 10, and 50.
The y values range from 10-37 or so.

The Excel table representing the above values looks like
this:

           Line1     Line2     Line3
      1      10       15         17
     10      20       25         27
     50      30       35         37

When I make a chart/graph of this in Excel, I want Excel
to distribute the y-axis between 0 and 40 (more or less),
but ALSO to distribute the x-axis between 0 and 50 (more
or less).

What Excel seems to want to do is pick one or the other,
but not both. So, for example, it'll distribute the y-axis
between 0 and 40, but then the x-axis becomes a "category
axis", and has the values 1, 10, and 50 evenly spaced,
instead of distributed numerically throughout a range.

It is very important for my data that both the x-data and
y-data be distributed numerically along their respective
axis. There are no "category" values.

Is there another way to organize the data and/or to pick
the chart type so it knows what I want it to display?

I'd appreciate *any* info on this.

The version of Excel I am using is: 9.0.4402 (SR-1)

My email address is sherry@timesten.com

Thanks!

-- Sherry.
0
sherry1 (2)

Okay, I'll answer my own question here -- use a "Scatter"
plot. There's an option that does connect the points in
each series with a line.

Odd name, but it's the right choice for this type of
problem.

-- Sherry.

0
sherry1 (2)
8/9/2004 11:46:06 PM
Glad you got that straightened out and thanks for letting folks know.
For a long time the XY Scatter chart was the only chart that supported
cardinal values along the x axis.  Then, with some version of XL, and I
don't remember which, MS extended the line chart so that if it had
dates along the x-axis it too could, optionally, be treated as having
cardinal values!

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <31ce01c47e6b$09ab2cb0$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Okay, I'll answer my own question here -- use a "Scatter"
> plot. There's an option that does connect the points in
> each series with a line.
>
> Odd name, but it's the right choice for this type of
> problem.
>
> -- Sherry.

Vlookup return most recent date (value)
Hello, I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal ID# (001). Column B contains a timestamp. My table has multiple entries for each ID# and different timestamps for each entry. I want to use a vlookup to find the MOST RECENT timestamp for EACH ID. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan With your data in ColA/B and the query ID in cell C1 try the below =SUMPRODUCT(MAX(($A$2:$A$100=C1)*$B$2:$B$100)) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "ryanholliday" wrote: > Hello, > > I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal I...

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

learning Excel #3

default values in a cell

'top' is not a valid value for the 'vertical-align' property.
Well, it is, actually, and the resulting .chm file works properly in HTML Help. But it's a bit tedious getting that wrong useless error message from VS2002 on every build. (Well, not every build, it only does it sometimes actually.) Any idea how I can persuade it to stop telling me this? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook