equation for smoothed XY Scatter line

In an XY Scatter Chart, where the selected chart
is, "Scatter with data points connected by smoothed Lines
without markers.", is there a way to obtain the function
of the line?

Perhaps not... since an XY scatter wouldn't necessarily
need to be a function, but this one is.  (the trendlines
don't fit well, though.(

Thanks.
Mark
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Mark -

Brian Murphy discusses the bezier curves Excel uses to draw the smoothed curve
connecting the points. Look for a link on his main page to his Excel stuff:

   http://xlrotor.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

mark wrote:

> In an XY Scatter Chart, where the selected chart
> is, "Scatter with data points connected by smoothed Lines
> without markers.", is there a way to obtain the function
> of the line?
>
> Perhaps not... since an XY scatter wouldn't necessarily
> need to be a function, but this one is.  (the trendlines
> don't fit well, though.(
>
> Thanks.
> Mark

>Brian Murphy discusses the bezier curves Excel uses to
draw the smoothed curve

Thanks, Jon.
0
anonymous (74722)

Subform Line Numbers
Hi I want to create a Purchase Order subform to order items, is it possible for access to create a line no automatically e.g. 0001, 002 and so forth. Thanks Nick It sort of depends on what you will be using them for but see if this link helps. http://www.lebans.com/rownumber.htm Nick Bradbury wrote: >Hi > >I want to create a Purchase Order subform to order items, is it possible for >access to create a line no automatically e.g. 0001, 002 and so forth. > >Thanks > >Nick -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may...

command line argument problem
I installed Windows XP Service PAck 2 recently and am getting the following error when trying to open OUTLOOK 2003 from Office 2003. "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using." How can I fix this? Dave Rightclick your shortcut to Outlook and remove any switches in the Target path. or browse to Outlook.exe and recreate the shortcut -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----...

how can i get the height of a line in a richeditctrl
Can someone help me,thanks in advance. Do you use multiple font sizes in the line? If you are using a single font size, it is easy; otherwise, you may have to iterate over all the characters of the line and compute the maximum bounding box. I didn't see anything obvious, but one approach might be to get PosFromChar for the preceding, current, and following line and compute the line height based on the delta between, for example, the position of the line-1 and line+1 joe On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:49:46 +0800, "Sunny" <sound_of_nature@hotmail.com> wrote: >Can som...

how to put connecting line between data points on scatter chart?
I have been monitoring my blood pressure daily with several readings per day. I have charted this on a scatter chart and would like to put a connecting line between the max and min values for one reading. I.e., Max is 140 and min is 80. I would have two dots representing those readings but I would like to have a straight vertical line between the two. My chart should end up looking like, ||| ||| ||| If you get the picture. I'm not too good about putting pictures into words (: TIA, Marc Marc: Sometimes it is easier to make the workbook than to explain it....

Equation/symbol in axis title
How can I insert equations in an axis title of an excel scatter plot? Specifically would like to insert accented lower case greek symbol for shear rate "gamma dot". I'm not sure this is what you have in mind - but you have nothing to loose. If you can produce what you have in mind within a worksheets cell [by using some rare font or so] try this: 1) Declare an Axis Title by typing Bla Bla. 2) Type whatever you need into cell F10 and make sure to display it as needed. 3) Click on the Axis Title and while it is selected click in the Formula Bar dna type: =F10 and hit ...

How do I reduce the number of lines in a spreadsheet?
Simple question - how do I reduce the number of lines in an Excel spreadsheet from say 25000 to say 45? Delete doesn't work. Hi Philamon You can't delete rows in excel but you can Hide them Check out this first before you do that http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Philamon" <Philamon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02199B4E-70D6-4042-9B01-56E21FA92B00@microsoft.com... > Simple question - how do I reduce the number of lines in an Excel spreadsheet > from say 25000 to say 45? D...

Need Help with #N/A in equation
I have a set equation that needs to be run on about a thousand different entries. A simplified version of the equation would be =A+B+C-D. The only problem is, "B" is only found in some of the entries. So for the majority of the times the equation is run for the different entries, it works, but when "B" is nonexistent, the equation returns a #N/A value. Is there anyway I can keep the set equation but make it work when B does not exist? -- mkerstei ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mkerstei's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com...

Text import out of line?
I have the following Macro.... Can you help me to eliminate the use of any cells on the import? It comes in all chopped up but I just want it as the text file is that I am bringing from Filename:="G:\Gas_Control\EXCEL\DEPT\Y2K\Weaternet Forecast\cgasdisc.txt Any HELP would be greatly appreciated. Sub Text() ' ' Text Macro ' Macro recorded 12/21/2004 by Kreft Dim destCell As Range Dim totConspWkbk As Workbook With Workbooks("DegreeDays.xls").Worksheets("text") .UsedRange.Clear Set destCell = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A...

histogram and a line graph on the same graph?
how can i combine two graphs together? can i superimpose one on top of another? Hi, Say you have 2 series you want to display on a graph with differetn graph type. - Add the 2 series as for a regular graph. Say you use Bar chart for now. - right-click (select) one of the series once displayed, and choose 'Chart Type' from the pop-up menu. Choose Line chart from the dialog. --> now you should have both series displayed with different type (Bar & Line) Now, say the 2 series have different scale, so you want them to be displayed on 2 different Y axis: - right click the ser...

How do I get the line chart labels to line up directly below the tickmarks?
Currently, my line chart labels are lined up in between each tickmark This causes the data to be skewed and appear inaccurate. Does anyon know how to get the chart labels to line up directly below the char tickmarks? Thanks -- rgoodson4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rgoodson40's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27305 Hi, Double click the axis to display the Format dialog. On the scale tab uncheck the option 'Value (y) axis crosse...

how to draw a fixed line length
I am trying to draw an outline plan of a building using stencil Walls, Shell and Structure (Metric). If I want one line 5M and the next 4M 'T' off the middle 6M how can I make the lines stay the correct length so the drawing is to scale? Is there a way to specify the length of the line and it will remain that length? Finally once the drawing has been completed is there a way to make the whole diagram larger or smaller so it will 'fit' to the page? Many thanks ...

subform data changes after each line input
In my subform I enter the data through text box entries as well as combo box selections. After I finish a line and go to the next one when I select in a combo box my selection is cascaded up to all the previous selections. The data from the previous lines is entered into the tables correctly it just gets changed in the view of the subform. Sorry I am new to Access programming. Any help Paul, It sounds like the combo box is unbound. In design view (of the form) look at the combo box. Open properties. Click on the DATA tab. The "Control Source" property is the field the data is...

Line chart even though values missing
I notice that my line chart doesn't draw a line if there are missing values. For example, I'm charting weight by date. But if I don't weigh myself on every single day, the line stops at the last day of a cluster of daily weights. Is there a way to have the dots be connected even if there are intervening missing data points? Thanks! -- MattBeckwith ------------------------------------------------------------------------ MattBeckwith's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30571 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php...

Issue with Cell alignment
This might be a strange question, and what I'm doing might be totally silly, but I need to know how to make it so that only the last few lines in my cell show, as opposed to any of the content before it. I have a regular, plain old, average Joe spreadsheet. In one of the columns, I am keeping a line-by-line "log" of events that happen with certain items in my list. For example, one cell will read: "5/12/07: Followed up with so-and-so, left message, waiting for a return call; 5/13/07: Received call back from so-and-so, was informed of this and that; 5/13/07: Sent c...

best fit line
I have a line graph with 6 series plotted (I.e. 6 different lines--sales on y, months of x). How do i add a best fit line to the chart? When i select Add Treanline, it only lets you select one series (and I'm assuming the result you get is a linear y=mx+b line....i 'm looking for the best fit line for serveral series... Thanks. jeremy -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You cannot fit a trendline for more than one series... each series can have its own. Your best bet is to put all your data into one series and then draw an XY scatter plot to which you add the trendli...

Selecting a line from a drop-down list
I have a table of data spread over four columns, with the keyword in th first column. What I want to do is select the required keyword from drop-down list, and have the other related information in the othe three cells automatically fill the required fields. For example, the data would be in an array from A3 to D10, and would b hidden so the user cannot see it. The selection fields are in an arra from A1 to D1. If I put a drop-down selection list in A1 which is se to choose from A3 to A10, how do I make the rest of the row autofil into the cells B2 to D2? I hope somebody can understand ...

line of dots between title and pg number, please
Using MS Word 2003, on XP... I have set up both my TOC and index as follows: title Pg Title one 1 Title two 2 Next title is three 3 four 4 etc. this goes on for 6 pages both in TOC and Index, (though index is alphabetical) Is there a way now, to insert on each line a series of dots/periods after the title and 3 spaces, and just before the number, and so that the ones, tens, and hundreds columns are correctly under each other on each line, without typing each dot on each line ??? Sorry for the run-on sentence. T.I.A. Sylvia M. Set a r...

Stop chart lines going to zero
Chart lines drop to zero on last point unless cell is highlighted and delete key pressed, which is no good if there is a formulae in the cell. Anybody know how to cure this ?? In article <68F329DB-DF81-4F7C-89BC-108D1DAB559C@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B? VG9tIEg=?= <Tom H@discussions.microsoft.com> says... > Chart lines drop to zero on last point unless cell is highlighted and delete > key pressed, which is no good if there is a formulae in the cell. Anybody > know how to cure this ?? > > Replace the "" in the formula with NA() -- Regards, Tushar ...

Can we change line spacing in Excel? (Not row height.)
If the text is too widely spaced apart between sentences in a cell, is there a way we can scrunch them closer together similar to what we can do in a word-processing program when we change line height? Tx. :oD StargateFanFromWork wrote: > If the text is too widely spaced apart between sentences in a cell, is there > a way we can scrunch them closer together similar to what we can do in a > word-processing program when we change line height? Tx. :oD I think you mean character (horizontal) spacing, not line (vertical) spacing. I don't think you can do that with Excel. But yo...

Graph an Equation
How Can I Graph from an Equation in Excel? Ex: P=-.0056Q + 12 or P=.0033Q + 8 Thank you in advance for any help! Mike One way: In A1, enter "Q", in B1, enter "Result". In A2:Axxx enter the domain of the function (the Q-values you want to look at, e.g., 1 to 100 in A2:A101). In B2, enter =-0.0056*A2 + 12, and copy down for as many rows as you filled in column A. Select a cell in the data range. Click the Chart Wizard, and choose an X-Y scatter graph (with or without lines). Finish the wizard.. In article <10uq3bkt92dh441@corp.supernews.com>, "Micha...

adding comment lines to SOP Invoice
I am trying to find a way to add about 6-10 lines of comments to the SOP Invoice. I have tried the Comment ID detail but can't seem to find a way to get more than four lines to print. I tried using report writer to stretch out the fields but no luck. Any suggestions? JO, Try adding Comment Text from the Sales User-defined Work/History table. HS "JO" <jo'neal@naumes.com> wrote in message news:1105993067.034166.38700@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to find a way to add about 6-10 lines of comments to the > SOP Invoice. I have tried the Comment I...

Time-Line Chart
I'm trying to create a "time-line" chart on both sides of the X axis. For example, item '1' lasts (3) seconds long and is 'positive' (above X axis). Item '2' lasts (2) seconds and is 'negative' (below X axis). Item '3' lasts (5) seconds and is 'positive'. Every time I graph this the lengths of the items are graphed vertically instead of horizontally. Any suggestions? *** ***** _________________ ** Thanks, Zack Hi, Zack, Try using a bar chart as the chart type. (Note: If you don't want your timeline...

Column-Line Chart w/ Dates
I have a chart that is using columns for category "A" on the primary x-axis (a $ amount). This category is broken down first by person, then by month. So essentially from left to right the columns will be person "1" and month "1", person "1" and month "2", person "1" and month "3", person "2" and month "1", and so on.... The chart is also using lines to mark category "B" on the secondary x-axis (a $ amount that is a portion of category "A", but not a percentage. Essentially c...

How to line up the last cell in each row?
I have some data for which I am only interested in the final column from each row. The problem is that each row is a different length, so that row 1 may be 10 columns wide, row 2 15 columns, etc. How can I get the last element from each row to line up in the same column so that I can sort, sum, etc.? Here is one solution: Insert a new column at A1 so you now have shifted all of your data to the right. Assuming that Row 1 has headers your first data record will be in row 2. Type this formula into A2 =OFFSET(B2:IV2,0,COUNTA(B2:IV2)-1,1,1) Drag copy down to the end of your data. Column ...

lines move in Visio chart when image is copied to Word 2007
I create a diagram in Visio 2007 and then copy and paste the finished diagram into Word 2007. Some of the lines (with arrows) change their position when pasted into Word 2007. Is there any way to "lock down" the lines in Visio so that won't move when the diagram is pasted into Word 2007? ...