Dynamic Charting But for a Stacked Colum Chart

Hi Excel charting Gurus,

 I have been trying for 3 days to adapt the dynamic Charting examples
from Jon Peltier's and TechTrax (http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/
Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=246)
But I Need to chart with a Stacked Column where the dates are stacked
along the X axis
Here is a link to what I am trying to do (www.jonson.ca/2Axis Not
Dynamic2.xls)

So that I do not have to make 12 charts, I want to allow the user to
pick a start and end dates (Via Sliders, That I get no problem!) and
have the chart  update based on the selection. Basically I want the
functionality that is in the 2nd sample of the TechTrax article But my
poor little brain just can't work out how to modify this example to my
chart.

Any clues or examples would be very much appreciated

thanks in advance

Bruce

0
bruce6570 (2)

Post an image file to your web site, not a workbook, and I'll have a look.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<bruce@jonson.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Excel charting Gurus,
>
> I have been trying for 3 days to adapt the dynamic Charting examples
> from Jon Peltier's and TechTrax (http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/
> Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=246)
> But I Need to chart with a Stacked Column where the dates are stacked
> along the X axis
> Here is a link to what I am trying to do (www.jonson.ca/2Axis Not
> Dynamic2.xls)
>
> So that I do not have to make 12 charts, I want to allow the user to
> pick a start and end dates (Via Sliders, That I get no problem!) and
> have the chart  update based on the selection. Basically I want the
> functionality that is in the 2nd sample of the TechTrax article But my
> poor little brain just can't work out how to modify this example to my
> chart.
>
> Any clues or examples would be very much appreciated
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Bruce

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/8/2007 1:47:00 PM
Hi Jon Thanks for replying

Here are two jpegs, One of the January chart I have built and one of
the data
www.jonson.ca/StackedColumnChartJanuary.JPG
www.jonson.ca/DataForChart.JPG

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Bruce

0
bruce6570 (2)
2/8/2007 6:20:47 PM
You can use the macro-free dynamic range approach work to change the number
of points per series, but not the number of series in the chart. To change
the number of series, which sounds like your objective, you need some kind
of VBA. Not complicated, you can still use sliders or similar mechanisms to
define the entire range to be plotted (by defining first and last rows or
first row and number of rows), then use a macro like this:

Sub RedefineChartData()
  Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.SetSourceData _
      Source:=Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("MyDefinedRange"), PlotBy:=ByRows
End Sub

- Jon
-------

> Hi Jon Thanks for replying
>
> Here are two jpegs, One of the January chart I have built and one of
> the data
> www.jonson.ca/StackedColumnChartJanuary.JPG
> www.jonson.ca/DataForChart.JPG
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
>
> Bruce

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

chart #2
when i do a chart i can see it until i click on to a cell then the chart goes gray, if i click back on to the chart i can then see the chart Hi Steve, Sounds like you have the Show Placeholders option enabled. Use the menus Tools > Options On the View tab under Objects click Show all steve hills wrote: > when i do a chart i can see it until i click on to a cell > then the chart goes gray, if i click back on to the chart > i can then see the chart -- Cheers Andy http://www.andypope.info ...

Text Box dynamic Color Fill
Hi, I have a textbox in excel that is linked to a cell. Depending if the cell value is positive or negative, I would like to change the textbox background color (fill). Any advice? Tks a lot! - Castor Hi Castor! You can use a macro, like the sample below to change the background color in the textbox. You have to update the name of the textbox in the macro, if it's not "Text Box 1", and the cell where you want to check for a positive/negative values. Sub ChangeTextboxFillColor() TheActiveCell = ActiveCell.Address If ActiveSheet.Range("A1") >= 0 Then Acti...

Line chart: Dates in uneven intervalls on x-achsis #2
'Supplementary' questions: Is there a clever way to make excel recogniz that '3 months' stands for '0.25 years', and '6 months' stands for '0. years'? I know, this is only cosmetics. Nevertheless it would be interesting ;) Gil -- gdavid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gdavids's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1589 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27378 You could use a helper column that divides months by 12 to scale as years. Jer...

excel should show 4 dimensional charts
For several years I have had an idea for an exciting development to charting in general, and specifically applying it to excel. I have often thought of writing a plug-in but have finally accepted that I will never get around to it so I throw the idea into the community for someone else to run with: The idea is straight-forward; create another dimension to the ranges selected for a chart (time being the most obvious but any dimension would work) and create multiple instances of the original two or three dimensional chart, using the exact smae formatting. Then, when viewing, have a '...

Link a chart to a worksheet
If data on one worksheet (swimming times) is used to create a graph or chart on another worksheet, can I automatically update the graph when I add new data to the original worksheet? Do you mean when you expand the data? Dynamic charts don't care where the data is, as long as the ranges are properly defined: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Roger Campbell" <RogerCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Data Vs Chart
Hi I have a lot of data in the following format. I need to trace the value of flag for a month.( I tried F11 thing but that chart is crowded.) sample data is given for 2 days. below. I want to come out with a neat chart that would helpme make, analyze the pattern on a daily and monthly and make decisions . Could any1 HELP! Day 1 Hour Value of Flag 3/17/2006 1 46 2 28 3 13 4 7 5 3 6 1 7 8 8 16 9 73 10 135 11 205 12 303 13 355 14 371 15 415 16 388 17 438 18 434 19 362 20 377 21 256 22 168 23 123 24 82 Day 2 1 67 2 25 3 23 4 6 5 6 6 7 7 12 8 10 9 46 10 118 ...

How do I name the colums and rows?
I want to put a name into the colums where it says "A-Z". I need help on doing this. Can you help? If you mean the built in column headers there is no way except removing them and fake lookalike headers in row1 Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Cin3" wrote: > I want to put a name into the colums where it says "A-Z". I need help on > doing this. > > Can you help? Can't be done. You can simulate this by hiding row and column headers (Tools/Options/View), then entering the values you want in A1:Z1. This won't change your cell references h...

dynamic selection of cells
hi The below code shows an error in the second line . if give sheet1.Range("C10").select its working fine but i want to populate the i value from C1 to C100 cells. For i = 1To 110 Step 1 Sheet1.Range(C(i)).Select varnbrows = Selection.CurrentRegion.Rows.count Selection.Value = i Next i thanks in advance -- parthaemail ------------------------------------------------------------------------ parthaemail's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31311 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=535899 Sheet1.Range(&qu...

Dynamic SQL Query and CRM Report parameter
Hello Everyone, Right now I am working on a CRM reporting. I am using SQL server 2005 Reporting services. In my Report I want to pass Field name as a parameter from Report interface. My query is as Following: ------------------------------------------------------ DECLARE @SQL AS nvarchar(1000) DECLARE @Param1 AS nvarchar(50) SET @SQL = 'Select Field1, Field2,'+@Param1+' AS Field3 FROM Table1' ------------------------------------------------------ @Param was difined in 'Report Parameters' and I initialed it. I use Field1,Field2 and Field3 in report layout. I use @...

How do I make the Y axis in an excel chart the category axis?
I would like to create a scatter chart where the x axis is the value axis and the y axis is the category axis, and I can't seem to figure out how to switch the two. Jon's site will tell you how to do so . . . http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#SwitchXY ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "megnadoodle" wrote: > I would like to create a scatter chart where the x axis is the value axis and > the y axis is the category axis, and I can't seem to figure out how to switch > the two. Hi, If you want the Y axis to be a category...

radar chart & labels
Is it possible to label *grid* in a radar chart...?The labels of Y-axis makes the chart unreadable... Hi, Here an explanation of what I think you are wanting. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng37.htm Post back if I mis understood. Cheers Andy uriel78 wrote: > Is it possible to label *grid* in a radar chart...?The labels of Y-axis > makes the chart unreadable... > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Dynamic Named Range
Hi, In excel vba, how to set dynamic named range so that it can use in sumif excel formula E.g. =SUMIF(Acct, "Total*", xxx)-SUMIF(Acct, "Expenses*",yyy)*-2 Acct refer to named range in column A xxx refer to dynamic named range in column C yyy refer to dynamic named range in column D Can anyone help and thanks in advance Regards Len Hi Len If Acct has been defined and is in column A, then range for column C would be Offset(Acct, 0, 2) and for column D would be Offset(Acct, 0, 3) SUMIF(Acct, "Total*", Offset(Acct, 0, 2))-SUMIF(Acct...

Restore of Dynamics database
Hi, Last week, we had a power failure which damaged some tables (three tables) in Dynamics database. We found this error until today. I can't recover these tables by DBCC CHECKDB because the minumum option is repare_allow_data_lose. We have the back of Dynamics a week ago. Could I restore the Dynamics a week ago, and at same time, keep the current companies database. Thanks Yong The Dynamics database contains information on users, user activity, AND current batches. Your batch information in all series would need to be corrected if you did this...

comparison charts
Wondering if you could help... I'm looking at charting two measurements in one chart....the stacke columns would preferably be side-by side, within the specific dates.. Total 30-Apr-04 7-May-04 0-30 Past Due 4,666 2,361 31-60 Past Due 293 974 > 60 Past Due 3 3 Excluding NFLD 0-30 Past Due 2,627 1,201 31-60 Past Due 293 524 > 60 Past Due 3 1 In other words, "Total" would have a stacked column for April 3 showing 0-30, 31-60, and >60 past due and right next to it Excludin NFLD would have a stacked column (for comparison)..then space..then Ma 7 (two ...

Values plotted incorrectly on Line Chart
Any idea what's causing this or how to fix it? In a line chart showing multiple series plotted over time, many of the points are plotted at the wrong level (wrong height along on the Y axis), although the data value is correct (as shown in the "tool tip" when hovering over the plotted point). For example, here are consecutive values for 3 series: 9, 2, 3, 3, 2 plotted as: 14, 7, 4, 5, 4 4, 4, 1, 1, 1 plotted as: 5, 5, 1, 2, 2 0, 1, 0, 1, 1 plotted as: 1, 1, 0, 1, 1 Hard to solve without seeking the problem. Email me (remove TRUENORTH. ) a copy of you workbook file bes...

A few stock charts/futures to look at
A few stock charts/futures to look at Hi everyone, Once again I have blown it sending out my newsletters consistently. Part of it is the strangeness in the market and the other part has been technical difficulties determining my top picks (at least that is the story I am sticking with). I hope you enjoy the list. As always if you have any questions or comments please add them to the news groups here or on our site. CLB : http://stocktruth.com/?stock=nyse&symbol=CLB CTRN : http://stocktruth.com/?stock=nyse&symbol=CTRN BBH : http://stocktruth.com/?stock=nyse&symbol=BBH OME...

How do I manually enter data in Visio 2003 org chart shape #2
I am setting up an org chart for employees in our service. I have entered the executive shapes I need and now want to manually enter the position data for each type of employee in the each of the executive shapes. I can enter all the data I need below the Executive name line, but it disappears when I leave the Executive shape. Am I restricted to only saving data on the Name/Title lines in the Executive shape ? shapes are generally meant to reflect individuals or positions, after you create the executive drag (as an example) a manager shape from the stencil and drop it on the executive....

how to add a secondary axis in excel chart?
Is this possible in `03 version? Don't see "Seconadry Axis" option available. Hi, You need a chart with 2 series. Double click the series and on the axis tab select Secondary axis. Not available for any 3d chart styles. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26951F31-7023-49FA-91A4-13BD6C94C4DE@microsoft.com... > Is this possible in `03 version? Don't see "Seconadry Axis" option > available. You'll need to have at least 2 data se...

Changing Chart data series
Hi all! I was wondering if there was a way to create a chart from data that is different from month to month. I have a summary page that I want to create a chart from, but I import the data and the number of rows varies every month. Some months I will have 4 rows of data and the next month I will have 25 rows of data. Here is an example of what I am trying to do: Column A is to be used for percentage calculations Column B has descriptions in it (all text) Columns C, D, and E are not involed in the summary Column F has numeric values in it. It is used for cost for the descript...

go from one chart to another
I am using the same data that Darell posted...since what I want is similar yet.... I have 20 departments with 4 regional managers looking after them. example: Title: Area Managers League AREAMANAGER1: Town1 Results Town2 Results etc AREAMANAGER2: Town1 Results Town2 Results etc I have created one chart with all the area managers, 4 others showing the departments for each manager(all Pie charts). Is it possible to click on the particular area manager and go to the particular area manager's sub chart? Thanks You can use a class module in VBA to make your...

Excel descendant box charts for genealogy
Seeking templates for a descendant box chart for genealogy purposes ...

Chart problems #3
When working on a tutorial online in the training section, I was adding a chart to my worksheet and when I clicked the view button, there is no chart. All it shows is the grid lines. Do I need to change my settings? I looked and found nothing. HELP! ...

Chart of Accounts Bulk Upload
What is the most efficient way to load a chart of accounts from another system into GP for initialization of the system? SQL? Integration services? Yes, we would have to fixup the unique fields for GP. I think the best way is Integration Manager. It's easy to use and utilizes the business logic within GP so that it won't import information that doesn't follow the correct schema. Without IM, you can use SQL import/export tools to import into GL00100. After doing that, you would run Check Links on the account master to build the account index table. See the SDK for more in...

Stacking 2 bars into one
I have a chart that I created in excel. It shows 6 lines of data. Three of the rows of data are shown in bars. The other three rows of data are shown as a line graph. How can I stack 2 of the 3 bars on top of one another? I can't seem to figure it out. Any help is much appreciated! Mona ...