Drop line on only one data point in series

Is it possible to add a drop line to only one data point in a series? If so,
how? I believe attaching an autoshape line to a single data point would also
meet my needs. I would like to be able to have a single data point marked
with a line that doesn't require repositioning every time I add new points to
the end of the series, which is daily. Any ideas?
0
nasdone (2)

An autoshape would move anytime a heavy truck drove by. You could add custom
negative error bars to the series, where the range containing the values
contained zero for each point except for the one you want the drop line for.
Easier might be to add a series with blank or #N/A values for all points
except the one with the drop line, then add a negative error bar with a
percentage value of 100%. Format the added series so it has no lines or
markers.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"nasdone" <nasdone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to add a drop line to only one data point in a series? If
> so,
> how? I believe attaching an autoshape line to a single data point would
> also
> meet my needs. I would like to be able to have a single data point marked
> with a line that doesn't require repositioning every time I add new points
> the end of the series, which is daily. Any ideas?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/21/2008 5:07:32 PM
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
nasdone <nasdone@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>Is it possible to add a drop line to only one data point in a series? If so,
>how? I believe attaching an autoshape line to a single data point would also
>meet my needs. I would like to be able to have a single data point marked
>with a line that doesn't require repositioning every time I add new points to
>the end of the series, which is daily. Any ideas?

When drop lines are on, they work for all points in all series, which is
not what you want.

Have you considered a 100% minus error bar? That still only works with
all points in one series, but you can create a second series with just
that one point in it, a visible "minus 100%" error bar, and an invisible
data marker.

Or *not* invisible, if you prefer: then, the data marker with the drop
line will stand out, apart from by having a drop line.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> An autoshape would move anytime a heavy truck drove by. You could add custom
> negative error bars to the series, where the range containing the values
> contained zero for each point except for the one you want the drop line for.
> Easier might be to add a series with blank or #N/A values for all points
> except the one with the drop line, then add a negative error bar with a
> percentage value of 100%. Format the added series so it has no lines or
> markers.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "nasdone" <nasdone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to add a drop line to only one data point in a series? If
> > so,
> > how? I believe attaching an autoshape line to a single data point would
> > also
> > meet my needs. I would like to be able to have a single data point marked
> > with a line that doesn't require repositioning every time I add new points
> > the end of the series, which is daily. Any ideas?

0
nasdone (2)

How do I use line numbering but not have it show on print?
I do not want the line numbers to show in printed material. Meinert wrote: > I do not want the line numbers to show in printed material. Go into the Page Setup dialog and turn off line numbering before you print. If you want it, turn the numbering on again afterward. To automate this, install the following macros in your Normal template (see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if needed): Sub FilePrint() ' intercepts built-in File > Print or Ctrl+P ' and prints without line numbering Dim userLineNum As Boolean With ActiveDocument.PageS...

How do I sort data in a spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet that has a number assigned to each name and it was made in aphabetical order. I want to change it to numerical order. How do I do this? You can't in Publisher. You can try pasting the data into Excel, sorting it and then paste it back into Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "stmary" <stmary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92E24369-2E8E-4B02-899D-95A4E389D6D2@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet that has a number assigned to each name and i...

How pull data always from same location?
I want worksheet AA to pull data from a set location of worksheet BB. Worksheet BB is edited by a user who may add, delete and move the rows. If I make 'AA'!A10 set to ='BB'!A10 that works fine until my user moves the data on BB to row 50. At that point my 'AA'!A10 shows a value of ='BB'!A50. How do I set things up such that even after my user moves data to row 50 my 'AA'!A10 continues to pull from ='BB'!A10? Thanks =INDIRECT("'BB'!A10") HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsof...

Removal of broken Hyperlinks from data copiedfrom a web page in to an Excel Spreadsheet
I have copied over 600 + lines into excel from a web page data base. I have cells which appear as hyperlinks (blue underlined text). When I put the insertion point over the cell, I get the little "hand" and a hyperlink box opens but is blank. I do not want the text in the cells to be hyperlinks nor do I want to open any hyperlinks. I went to the edit menu to select links to remove all but links is grayed out. I can remove each one, one by one, by using the arrow key to move into the cell, doing a right click and select, remove hyperlink. This works, but will not accept multiple...

Hi All, I would like to load an Excel spreadsheet directly into a single table in Oracle. Both the spreadsheet and the table have the same ordering of columns and have compatable data. I am aware that a way to achieve this would be to convert the .xls file into a .csv file and then use sql loader. However, I am interested in doing this in a quicker/easier way directly from Excel, eg. by adding in some functionality and clicking on a new button for loading into the database. We are all able to read from a database in Excel by importing external data. Surely there is a way to change that...

How can I "undo" an entry on a form/subform while still entering data ? 11-18-07
Hi I posted this question a couple of days ago and got 1 response but couldn't read it. Hopefully someone will have and answer. I have a form/subform for entering invoice data. What can I do if I realize that I have already entered the invoice ? Example: I enter the main form data and enter 5 lines of detail on the subform and then I realize that I have already entered this invoice before ? I would love to have a button that I could click that "undoes" the entire entry. How can this be accomplished ? Thanks Mark <mthornblad@gmail.com> wrote in message news:81271...

From and subject lines
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange how do i get the from and subject together on the same line. right now the subject is below the from and date. i have searched everywhere and cant figure out how to change this. please help. thanks. On 2010-03-25 10:13:41 -0400, global@officeformac.com said: > how do i get the from and subject together on the same line. right now > the subject is below the from and date. i have searched everywhere and > cant figure out how to change this. please help. thanks. I'm...

Can we restrict one user to send and receive email from only one external domain, but all internal addresses
We had a request to restrict internet email usage for a single user but allow internal email both incoming and outgoing. We did this using a non-internet routable email address for this user and restricted them from using the outgoing smtp connector. We now have a request to allow this user to still use internal email but add one external domain to send and receive to. Is this possible ? Thank you, Ken It is possible with Ex2k7 Transport Rules. For Ex2k3, you need to add an SMTP event sink program to the incoming and outgoing SMTP VS to filter his emails. http://support.microsoft...

point of intersection of two lines on line chart
Hello, is there a way to locate the exact point of intersection of two lines on line chart?? Dave - Andy Pope has a helpful web page: http://andypope.info/charts/intersection.htm - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ Dave wrote: > Hello, is there a way to locate the exact point of intersection of two lines on line chart?? ...

Analysing data through pivot
Hi, I am trying to convert the payroll data I receive from my clients into a csv file that I import in to my payroll program. Ideally I would like it to be all automatic (marco). The problem lies in the variable nature of the information I receive. Here is the basic layout: NAME | ID | Basic pay | Commission | Overtime Bob 2 500 300 50 James 3 400 20 Sarah 4 500 And so forth THe layout I am trying to achieve is the following: Bob 2 Bas...

How do I allow text to continue on next line rather than it being.
I need to allow words to flow onto the next line rather than them being hyphenated and then the last bit of the word on the next line. Its really annoying. How do I do this? Thanks Tools, language, hyphenation... Also in tools, options, you can clear automatic hyphenation under the edit tab. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "ImageStyle" <ImageStyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45BAF9D7-4BDE-46F4-A6F6-ED636FB57D24@microsoft.com... >I need to allow words to flow onto the next li...

Copying .pst files from one computer to another
I'm trying to save my contacts, inbox, drafts, and sent files as individual .pst files so that I can move them to another computer runnint Outlook. I seem to be successful in saving the files to a CD, but when I try to "import" them on the second machine, I get a message telling me that I don't have permission to the file. What's the fix? Thanks! Phil, is the the old Outlook on an XP machine? I can't even find any .pst files anywhere on mine to try to export to my Vista Windows Mail. Where did you find them ,if you are exporting from Outlook for XP. ...

Dynamic bar chart, must ignore "n/a" data...
Okay, gang, here's what I am trying to do. Assume I cannot use macros or pivot tables (the end chart must be usable by folks with ZERO excel ability.) Formulas only. (I know this would be easy with pivot tables.) Assume I have a table that is calculating how many pieces of fruit I pick. I have a column (A) that is called FRUIT. The user of the spreadsheet picks the type of fruit from a validated drop down list in (A) and then enters the number of pieces picked in (B). so the data might look like this: APPLE 2 APPLE 3 PEAR 2 PEACH 2 APPLE 4 Where each row is a different day...

Weird lines showing up on query, report & table printouts
I'm using Access 2007 and everything was working fine. Then all of a sudden it started printing very small grid lines in the upper left corner of every page of any query, report, or table printout. Everything looks fine in print preview but the lines keep showing up on the printouts. I found one website where another person described the same problem (it was posted in 2006 so was probably for an earlier version of Access) but there were no suggestions given as to what might have caused the problem or how to fix it. I've tried rebooting the computer, using earlier backup v...

Pivot table drops columns on refresh
Hello, I have a spreadsheet with appx 100 columns and 500 rows, that we use as a source for 15 odd pivot tables. When we refresh, about 30-40% of the time, it drops several columns. 20 of our columns are dates for the next 20 weeks of the year. When it drops them from the table, it also drops them from any subsequent calculated fields, forcing me to recreate the sheet multiple times. Strangely, it drops the first and last weeks of the months, but not the middle ones. Does anyone know of a way to get Excel to keep the tables from dropping fields? Thanks, jason This is a known pr...

importing customer summary data
Hello: This GP 10.0 client is not going to import customer historical data. But, they want the Customer Summary data to be updated and accurate. Is it safe to import this data through Table Import? If not, is it possible to do so through Integration Manager? Thanks! childofthe1980s It's possible todo through Table Import. There is no standard adapter in IM for customer summary data. If you ever run reconcile, you could have a problem because you won't have the transactions to support the summary data. -- Charles Allen, MVP "childofthe1980s" wrote: > Hell...

Multiple inputs one output
What could I use to enable one cell to have a value that is controlled by multiple options, but only one of them will be filled in but will vary each time. For instance, A1,A2,A3 are amounts of something that will be filled in and variable. Only one will be entered. I need the amount in A1,A2,or A3 to then be entered into G12 on another worksheet. Thanks for any help. Quick and dirty method (Assumes that one one of the three fields will have input, otherwise it will show all of the data entered) In cell G12 enter =VALUE(A1&B1&C1) if it is going to be text then enter =(A1&B...

Automatic removal of data labels with 0 value in a chart
Hi, I have some charts that I want to remove only the data labels which value = 0. I know how to do this manually,I am only interested in finding out how to display data labels in a chart whose values are equal to 0. If the only way to do this is by using BVA code, would you please send me some code. Is there a toggle swith in the Excel Options just like the one that currently exists not to display 0 in a work sheet? I have about 100 columns in seven different charts that I need to edit manually every week and it is very time consuming. Thanks. You can use a simple custom num...

Data Migration Framework failed
Hi, I tried to use the DMF to migrate simple data in the CRM. But it failed. It is a very simple scenario. I have a csv-File with only an AccountNumber and Name. I tried different cases. First the one above but it failed because the AccountID can not be NULL in the CDF database. Then I generate my own IDs but still no effect. So I tried to set the AccountID as identy row but again no success. Then I added a forth column in my source csv-file which has the OwningUserName in it. I fired the stored procedure to map the users. But the migration still won�t work. I get the data in the CDF Databa...

Create "One" Record from the "Many" Table
I have a Relationship between two tables. TableOne holds the client data. TableMany holds the InvoiceData. Referential Integrity enforced. InvoiceForm based on a query with data from the two tables, linked by ClientNumber from TableMany. When an invoice is created, the user enters ClientNumber and the client details appear. My question is about creating an invoice for a client not in TableOne. Is there some way to have the Client Record in TableOne created if it does not already exist, without opening the Client Data Input Form? Just the ClientNumber Field needs to be populated, all ot...

How do I draw a line equation in Excel
I want to draw the graph:y=100*2.71^(0,231*x). How do I will do it in Excel? Hi have a look at: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Arda OZANSOY wrote: > I want to draw the graph:y=100*2.71^(0,231*x). How do I will do it in > Excel? Arda - In one column, list the relevant X values (minimum to maximum at an appropriate spacing). Supposing you used column A, with the first X value in A2, enter this formula in B2: =100*2.71^(0,231*A2) Don't know what exactly the comma means, mixed decimal indicator? Any...

> 12 series displayed, or better way?
a user has 11 curves to dispay. in addition, there is a series of X,Y pairs that he would also like to display. when the (x,y) pairs are displayed (they are actually discrete points), the first one shows fine, but any point added after the first, does not visibly appear on the chart. I tried deleting one of the 11 curves... then a second (x,y) point would display. It appears that the chart was only able to handle 12 sets of data. The reason that I tried to do it with a new series for each (x,y) pair is that the info displayed when the cursor hovers over the data point is much more...

Access sub-folder by command line (in existing Outlook-instance)
Hi, I'm trying ty craete an Outlook Note (in Outlook 2007 on Win7) by using the command "OUTLOOK.EXE" /select outlook:Temp_Notes /c ipm.stickynote". In before I created the folder Inbox\Notes\Temp_Notes which I moved to Inbox. Outlook starts a new instance of Outlook and creates a new note by default in Inbox\Notes though. Probably this is defined in de form to which the messageclass IPM.NOTE is attached to. Copying or editing the form is not allowed. My questions: 1. How to prevent Outlook starts a new instance using command line switches like '/...

How to bind filtered data in list box?
Hi All, I have developed a from in excel 2003 contains year dorpdown and listbox. The list box source mapped/binded to a ragne and 'Year' dropdown has unique years from the same range of listbox source. My requirement is, if user selects year through 'Year' dropdown then the list box has to refresh with selected year's data only. I tried to filter the source data with selected 'Year' value but the listbox has been displaying with old records i.e., still I see whole data includes hidden rows after applying filter on source data. I should not see ...

Data Text to Columns
I have a large column and would like to split it for the literal that says "Company Name" and then have the company name right next to it which is enterable. I tried using Data/Text to Columns, Fixed Width, sliding the arrow after Company Name: and it did not seem to split the column. I also tried putting an arrow out a ways so that there looked as though there were two defined fields and that didn't seem to work either. Am I approaching this the right way??? HELP!!! Thanks! Hi this is not possible in Excel. You have to use two columns for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Fr...