Drop down list for graphs/charts

My boss wants a drop down box in Excel that will give us about ten different
graphs. I did all ten of these graphs individually on separate tabs but my
boss wants one tab with a drop down box that when we choose one of the
groups, it will give us that graph.

Can this be done?

0
JS1 (36)

Based on the drop-down, in a separate range select the data which you want
to plot. And plot this in one graph only. For e.g. you have data A1:A10 for
the first graph, B1:B10 for the second. Lets say in M1:M10 use a formula
which will get the data from A1:A10 or B1:B10 based on the drop-down
selection. Plot M1:M10 only in the graph.

Mangesh

"JS" <JS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My boss wants a drop down box in Excel that will give us about ten
different
> graphs. I did all ten of these graphs individually on separate tabs but my
> boss wants one tab with a drop down box that when we choose one of the
> groups, it will give us that graph.
>
> Can this be done?

You might also try one of these approaches:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartTypeDropDown.html
   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Mangesh Yadav wrote:

> Based on the drop-down, in a separate range select the data which you want
> to plot. And plot this in one graph only. For e.g. you have data A1:A10 for
> the first graph, B1:B10 for the second. Lets say in M1:M10 use a formula
> which will get the data from A1:A10 or B1:B10 based on the drop-down
> selection. Plot M1:M10 only in the graph.
>

> Mangesh
>

> "JS" <JS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>My boss wants a drop down box in Excel that will give us about ten
>
> different
>
>>graphs. I did all ten of these graphs individually on separate tabs but my
>>boss wants one tab with a drop down box that when we choose one of the
>>groups, it will give us that graph.
>>
>>Can this be done?

Drop Down List Question #2
I have a drop down list from 5 cells merged together so as I can read the length easier, I know I cant select a field from merged cells, is there any way that when I select my choice I can get cells either side of my selection A B F 12 Jan Apples $12.00 17 Feb. Pears $14.00 I have B Column as my range in drop down , how can I get the date and price to move as well? What I want to do is select Pears and the date, Item and price would move to say K L P Columns if my drop down list was in L column...

Advice required
I need to create some graphs from data that is derived from a long series of separate calculations on my source data. For aesthetic reasons, I would like to hide all the "interim" calculations on the spreadsheet, but I've noticed that as soon as I hide the interim data (i.e set the row height to zero), the detail on the graphs disappears. I presume that this is a design feature feature of Excel (I supoose I can just about accept the rationale for it), but does anyone know whether there's a way around this? Many thanks. CRS. Use white fonts -- Regards, Peo Sjobl...

File view doesn't list an expected source file
Hi, File view isn't showing a file it should show. One of the last steps needed to add Help support to an existing project is to compile MyProject.hpj. To do this, msdn says that I should go to File view, open the source files list, highlight MyProj.hpj, and then select "Compile MyProject.hpj" in the Build menu. MyProject.hpj is not in the Source files list, thogh. Can someone tell me why it isn't there? The file exists in my project's MyProject\hlp directory as a result of copying the sample project's hlp directory to my project, and renaming the files so th...

Reverse chart column and row order
I'm running Office 2007 and all my charts are showing up in reverse order: I want a bar graph that looks like this: Series 1 -------------------------------->Column 1 Series 1 ------------------------->Column 2 Series 1 ------------------------------------->Column 3 Series 2 -------------------------------------->Column 1 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 What I'm getting is: Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2---------------------->Column 1 D3M ----------...

Smart List search criteria
It would be helpful if 'ends with' was added as an operator in SmartList's search criteria. ...

Text box disappears on chart
I added a text box to a chart and when I click off of it, the text box disappears (goes behind the chart). I have tried Bring to Front and Bring Forward, and it may or may not stay visible and print. I have clicked on the frame of the text box (it changes pattern) and tried Bring to Front - same problem. Any ideas? Carole O The text box is on the worksheet, not the chart. To fix the problem, Select the text box, and choose Edit>Cut Select the chart (you'll see handles on its corners and sides) Choose Edit>Paste, to paste the text box onto the chart. Click away from the char...

Our organization needs Drop Ship in GP8.0 and later.it was in 7.5
The drop Ship feature has been eliminated from 8.0, why?! It was a tool that we had seen in 7.5 and was part of our decision to purchase GP. This feature will save hundreds of man hours on an annual basis. Please consider updating or loading it into updates. Crucial!!!! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and th...

Chart numbers from multiple sheets
Is Excel 2002 capable of creating a chart based on numbers from multiple sheets in a workbook? Addressed in your other thread. Regards, Leni -- LeninVM ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LeninVMS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31954 ...

Show Names drop down box not working
I recently graduated to Office 2003 and I'm having a problem I don't know how to get around. I want to send this email to a large number of people, so I want to select several names from one of my contacts folders. But it won't let me. Here are the steps I'm going through: From the Mail Screen, New, To, then I want to click on the "Show Names from the" drop down box, but it won't let me. When I click on the drop down arrow, nothing happens. I have used Outlook in its various versions for years and have always used this feature. These files were imported fr...

Bubble Charts Colours go wrong
Hi, I have some bubble charts which are maintained by a VB script i wrote. The script sets up a data series based on a table with custom labels, sizes and colours for each bubble. I've now come across a problem that despite my macro setting the colour of the bubbles correctly and even the sample colour box in >format data series> patterns showing the colour i want, the bubble does not. please help! Darren. You don't show the code. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 E...

Suddenly, to-do list is broken
Good afternoon. Thanks for letting me part of this forum. I am using Outlook 2007. Things have been rolling along very well. Thi morning I closed Outlook while I left for a while. Now that I am back whenever I open Outlook my to-do bar will not display any tasks (no will they show in the task list in the week view of the calendar) Instead, there is a message saying, "The Operation Failed. An objec could not be found." The tasks are still there and I can access the via the tasks tab, but the to-do bar and the calendar are missing th tasks, which is what really made me fall in love w...

Can I create a bar graph with both stacked and normal bars?
Hi I'm trying to create a bar chart for my company for turnover against targets. For the targets we want fixed bars, however on the turnover we wanted the same bars made up different colours, so the colours highlight where the turnover came from (therefore stacked). Can I have some bars fixed and some stacked on a chart please? On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, g <g@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I'm trying to create a bar chart for my company for turnover against >targets. For the targets we want fixed bars, however on the turnover we >want...

How to chart monthly sales for successive years
I want to show monthly figures with a line chart, with the second year coming after the first, the third year after the second, etc. I don't want the years to bunch up, ie 3 years-worth of bars for Jan, Feb, etc. I want Jan-Dec 2006, then Jan-Dec 2007, and so forth. Thanks for your help! Create a table with the dates across the top e.g. Jan-07, Feb-07, etc, then have the monthly sales figures below the dates. Select the dates and the sales numbers and click on insert chart. You can see an example of this at www.tejniya.co.uk, click on documents and goto Excel. MVK "wolf...

Increasing recently opened files list
Does anyone know how to increase number of files shown in recently opened files list? Mine shows four, and I'd like eight or ten, the same as I get in all my other MS applications. Any auggestions?? Thanks. tabboo wrote: > Does anyone know how to increase number of files shown in > recently opened files list? Mine shows four, and I'd like > eight or ten, the same as I get in all my other MS > applications. Any auggestions?? Thanks. =================================== What is the name and version of the program you are referring to? -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled...

delegates permission using a distribution list
I am having problems with permissions on delegates in Outlook. I have a distribution list which has editor rights in a users calendar. When I try and access the calendar it doesn't work. When I go back into the delegates properties again the permission has gone back to NONE. It does however work fine on some clients. Outlook 2000 is being used and Exchange 2003. Convert the DL to a security group. "Gareth Hutchins" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29a401c4ad33$4bb88de0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am having problems with permissions on d...

Exchange 5.5 Distribution Lists
I am running in Exchange 5.5/2000 mixed mode and I have noticed that if I change ownership of a distribution list using Exchange Admin, the permissions of that object are not automatically updated (I have to manually give the "owner" the permission needed to add members to the list). Is this some old Exchange 5.5 thing??? ...

Unevenly spaced x axis on chart
Hi Trying to make a chart where the x axis is number-of-days from a start-date, and y axis is a value measured on the particular date. For example, the columns may be: Date Days from Start Measurement 02/12/09 1 120 06/12/09 5 134 09/12/09 8 118 18/12/09 17 109 etc. I want a line chart showing the measurement vs days which I can do - BUT... I would like the x axis (days from start) to be spaced according to the number of days, which as you can see from the above are not evenly spaced. In other words, if there have been several days between measurements, I...

Removing gris effect in a chart
Hello all! I created a contour chart in Excel 2007. But there is a grid effect on the chart. Is it possible to remove it, and how? Thanks a lot! Hi, Select the legend and then select a legend entry. CTRL+1 to display the format dialog. The dialog should show Format Band in its title. Select Border colour and set it to No Line. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Olivier" <Olivier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8942BA16-4F43-4983-8057-0FECA1FC1711@microsoft.com... > Hello all! > > I created a contour ch...

created chart will not display
I tried to create a 3D pie chart within a spreadsheet. After highlighting the data that I wanted in the chart , the only thing that shows up is the chart title. The pie chart itself is no where to be found. Please advise Thanks,Belinda That probably means that Excel thinks your data are not numeric. If the values you are plotting are in, say, B2:B5, in some empty column, say C, starting with C2, enter =ISNUMBER(B2) and copy down to C3:C5. What do you get? -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 d...

Drop Down boxes #8
I want to create a drop down box where if no options are used within the drop down, then you are able to type your own answer You can enter any item in a cell with a data validation list, if you remove the check mark from 'Show error alert after invalid data is entered', on the Error Alert tab in the Data Validation dialog box. The box is shown here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal04.html#Error Brian wrote: > I want to create a drop down box where if no options are used within the drop down, then you are able to type your own answer -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ...

Adding the users name to a new list item
Is there a way to create a list so that when the logged in user creates a new item, it automatically insert's their user name into a column? I'm creating a time entry list, and don't want the users to have to type their name in every time they add a time record. The controller will review this list once a week and create reports based on the user, client, etc. Thanks in advance! Gavin Use the Created by column. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "Gavin Steiner" <gavin@interprom.com> wrote in mes...

Outlook 2003: How to show multiple task lists?
Does anyone know if it is possible to show multiple task lists (i.e. a personal list and a work-related list) side by side in the task list view by default? It's simple in the calendar to show two calendars simultaneously, and it seems completely ridiculous not to include the same functionality in the task list view. Any help would be appreciated. No, but you can use the right click on the additional task list you want to display and select "Open in new window" - then resize your windows to show them side by side. Why would one want to show task lists in the same way as cal...

Charts for Social Work
Need help in creating 2 charts. Not sure if it�s possible in Excel. Hopefully I�ll give enough details. Chart #1 Y-axis: Range is 35 to 5, where the 35 is a minimum value at the botto of the chart. X-axis: There are actually three categories, but it is not a Bar Chart per se. Category Names(should appear at the top of the chart, not as an axi label): Baseline, Intervention, and Follow-up (The X-axis should hav gaps, so each category is separated; there actually should be no axi label) The Y-axis represents a score between 5 and 35. The score for th Baseline is 22 and is supposed to be re...

Excel should allow chart axes to be set from sheet data.
I often chart account balances where I have x axis of dates and y axis of monetary amounts. It would be helpful if there was a facility to allow the x axis minimum and maximum to be set to some value as calculated from the data itself (or even calculated using a formula). I like to keep a "rolling" picture of the last three months (so, today()-90 to today()) and the next three months (today() to today() + 90) (on two separate charts). I have to manually update the x axis's minimum and maximum each day. you can set up formulas in cells to calculated your desired max/mins a...

Cannot change criteria on copied chart without changing original c
I have a chart that I created from a pivot table. Instead of creating 40 plus charts individually, I tried to copy the original chart and change the location for each chart. When I change the facility location for one chart it changes all others. How can I get around this? Steve You'll need to make independent pivot tables for each chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services 774-275-0064 208-485-0691 fax jon@peltiertech.com http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07FF39D...