drawing bell graphs side-by-side

i'm trying to draw two normal distribution bell graphs side by side in a same
drawing.

i was able to draw two different bell graphs following the help provided
earlier, but still cannot draw them together with some overlapping tails.

perhaps, the difficulty i have is "selecting" the columns (range?) .  i
"selected" all four columns (two columns for taller graph, and the other two
columns for shorter graph), but it draws a linear graph.

any help is appreciated.

Provide more detail about exactly what you did and what results you got to
help us identify what is going wrong.  Absent those details, I will guess
from your "linear graph" phrase that you are using a "Line" graph.  If so,
switch to an "XY (Scatter)" graph.

Jerry

"ChartsNewbie" wrote:

> i'm trying to draw two normal distribution bell graphs side by side in a same
> drawing.
>
> i was able to draw two different bell graphs following the help provided
> earlier, but still cannot draw them together with some overlapping tails.
>
> perhaps, the difficulty i have is "selecting" the columns (range?) .  i
> "selected" all four columns (two columns for taller graph, and the other two
> columns for shorter graph), but it draws a linear graph.
>
> any help is appreciated.
0
post_a_reply (1395)
5/15/2007 2:29:22 AM
thanks for the timely response,

here is how i did.

i first followed Tushar Mehta's a tutorial to create a normal curve:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/#enumeration

then, followed by creating two more column w/ mean of 20 and Std Dev of 1
(instead of 10 & 2 respectively).

i am able to plot both of these normal curve individually, using "XY
(Scatter)" - "smoothed Lines w/out markers".

i'd like to plot these side-by-side w/ tails crossing over.

what i did was selecting all four columns, then proceeded w/ "XY (Scatter)"
- "smoothed Lines w/out markers".  and result was a positive linear graph.

Data Range is displayed as "=Sheet1!$B$2;$C$35, Sheet1!$L$2;$M$35

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

> Provide more detail about exactly what you did and what results you got to
> help us identify what is going wrong.  Absent those details, I will guess
> from your "linear graph" phrase that you are using a "Line" graph.  If so,
> switch to an "XY (Scatter)" graph.
>
> Jerry
On Mon, 14 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ChartsNewbie <ChartsNewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>what i did was selecting all four columns, then proceeded w/ "XY (Scatter)"
>- "smoothed Lines w/out markers".  and result was a positive linear graph.

You can't just select a rectangle and expect the Excel Chart Wizard to
put everything in the right place. It's not that smart, and your custom
requirement is exceeding the limits of its abilities. You'll have to
learn to design the chart to meet your requirement.

The "positive linear graph" you are seeing is the second x-range (third
column), that is being plotted as a series against the first x-range .
The second and fourth columns, your two bell curves, can probably barely
be seen down near the base of the graph.

Delete the straight line, and the two bell curves should appear if the
y-scale is set to "Auto". But the second bell curve will be incorrectly
using the first x-range, so edit that series so that it properly uses
the second x-range, and then you'll be there.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

you're spot-on.

"Deleting the straight line" revealed a bell curve.  shape of this was not
the same as first nor second bell curves, so i'm assuming parameters got
mixed up.

can you give me a bit more instruction on "setting the y-scale to "Auto"
part?
i'm also not familiar w/ "editing the series for X & Y ranges".

also, am i suppose to use the "Custom Types" of chart instead of "Standard
Types" w/in the Chart Wizard?  if so, which one do i choose, since i didn't
see "XY (Scatter)" under the "Custom Types" menu.

> Delete the straight line, and the two bell curves should appear if the
> y-scale is set to "Auto". But the second bell curve will be incorrectly
> using the first x-range, so edit that series so that it properly uses
> the second x-range, and then you'll be there.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
On Tue, 15 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ChartsNewbie <ChartsNewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>Thanks Del.
>
>you're spot-on.
>
>"Deleting the straight line" revealed a bell curve.  shape of this was not
>the same as first nor second bell curves, so i'm assuming parameters got
>mixed up.
>
>can you give me a bit more instruction on "setting the y-scale to "Auto"
>part?

You're all right, we know the scale is automatically resetting because
the curves sprang into view as soon as you deleted the big line that was
making your curves so flat that they were invisible down on the bottom
of the chart. My worry was that you might have set the Maximum of the y
scale, so that it stayed fixed, in which case deleting that straight
line would not have made the bell curves appear.

>i'm also not familiar w/ "editing the series for X & Y ranges".

We'll deal with that in a little bit.

>also, am i suppose to use the "Custom Types" of chart instead of "Standard
>Types" w/in the Chart Wizard?  if so, which one do i choose, since i didn't
>see "XY (Scatter)" under the "Custom Types" menu.

XY (Scatter) is one of the standard types rather than a custom type, and
from your earlier post it sounds like you picked the right type (a very
common mistake is to choose "Line", which would be unsatisfactory for
this chart for a number of reasons).

I'm surprised to hear that neither of the shapes looks quite right to
you, as I'd hoped one of them would and the other one wouldn't. Let's
see if trying again works. After studying Tushar Mehta's tutorial...

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/
   excel/charts/normal_distribution/#enumeration

....I think the best way to do this is not "editing series", which I
talked blithely about. I'm happy to do that by hand, but as you're a
charts newbie that's probably getting too deep for now. Instead, I'm
going to suggest using the "Add Data.." dialogue in the Charts menu.

After you followed the instructions the first time, you selected the
*whole* of the two columns B and C, and Excel detected just the cells it
needed to build the chart. I didn't even know it could do that, which is
why Tushar's a consultant and I'm just an amateur!

So build your second pair of columns that make up the second bell curve,
but instead of putting it right next to the first two to make a solid
block of B, C, D, and E, I want to put the second two columns at J and K
(that gives plenty of room to completely duplicate Tushar's original
scheme, still reading column A for the basic input, but using cells $N$1
and $P$1 for the mean and s.d., instead of $F$1 and $H$1).

When you've made the second pair of columns of data, instead of going to
the chart wizard to make a new chart (we've already got one) go to the
"Chart" menu up on the menu bar (if it's not there, make sure you have
the chart selected) and select Add Data...

When the dialogue box to pick a range appears, select the whole of
columns J and K just like you selected columns B and C before, and click
"OK". A dialogue box called Paste Special should then appear. The
defaults for this box should already be ideal for you, but just to
check, they should be like this

   Add cells as: New Series
   Values (Y) in: Columns
   Series names in first row: YES
   Categories (X values) in First column: YES
   Replace existing categories: NO

When you click OK, your second bell curve should appear.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

i first did not find "Chart" button up on the menu-bar, and took me a while
to figure that out.  but, once i got my "Chart" button appear on the
menu-bar, everything went according to your guide.

thank you very much for your timely help.

sam
On Wed, 16 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ChartsNewbie <ChartsNewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>Del, thank you sooooo much.  it worked perfectly.
>your description was accurate and newbie-friendly.  much appreciated.

You're welcome, and thank you for coming back to say so.

Something I forgot to mention is that the reason the XY chart type is
uniquely suited to this kind of application is that, almost alone of
chart types, it supports *multiple x-series*, one for each y-series.
Almost all other chart series (bubble chart is the exception) forces all
series of the same type to share the same x-axis.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

how to generate data from graph in excel
I've a graph (source data of which is not avalable), from which I want to extract data (X & Y values). Can anyone guide me how to do this? Hi, Take a look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300643 Mike "Vads" wrote: > I've a graph (source data of which is not avalable), from which I want to > extract data (X & Y values). Can anyone guide me how to do this? Excel 2007 Translated http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300643 macro into Excel 2007 VBA code. http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/11_21_09.xlsm ...

Figures in data box and percentages in graph
Hi - I have a client for whom we have developed a report system. They now want an ammendment to some of the graphs which means that they want to be able to see the actual figures in the data box under the graph and the bars/lines in the body of the graph to be based on percentages. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Regards Andrew You need to fake the data table. Tushar Mehta has a discussion of data tables and alternatives on his web site, http://tushar-mehta.com. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Pelti...

Control to draw
Hi, I am trying to find the way to use some drawing tool in ms access. My project is to bring template image from file and then draw couple check marks on it and save as new image to db, template should not be altered. Any ideas ? ...

Graphs
I currently have a custom graph showing data as two 2 bars and 2 colored lines. I need to make one of the colored lines a bar. How can I do this? Select the series that you want to change and right click to change the chart type. "Metalteck" <Metalteck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2680EC52-61C5-4098-82C7-29556F72D922@microsoft.com... >I currently have a custom graph showing data as two 2 bars and 2 colored > lines. I need to make one of the colored lines a bar. How can I do this? ...

how do i create a cumulative frequencey graph using excel?
Let's say you have, starting in A1: quantity.......count......cumulative 1.................3 2.................5 4..................9 5..................11 etc So for the thing being measured (X), when x=1 you have a frequency of 3; when x=2 frequency = 5, etc In A2 enter =SUM($A$2:A2) and copy down the column Now select A1:A(whatever); hold CTRL and highlight C1:C(whatever) - that's how to select non-adjacent ranges The hit the Chart Wizard tool and you are away. Need more? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Student in ne...

How do I get the other side of a brochure from microsoft template
I am new to publisher and I am wondering on a six sided brochure,how do I access the other three sides not shown on the template? With your brochure displayed, select Insert Page -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "jorge" <jorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36C92F57-0735-44C2-A032-599CFB3A56B6@microsoft.com... >I am new to publisher and I am wondering on a six sided brochure,how do I > access the other three sides not shown on the template? ...

two-sides pages
How do I create two-sided pages for a recipe book? On the Tool bar, select Insert, Page -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E06BC684-DA3A-4A17-9DA5-5434D8BF7CC9@microsoft.com... > How do I create two-sided pages for a recipe book? ...

Flicker-free drawing and erasing backgound
Hi all, In my dialog-based program containing property pages I need to display a jpg image and draw over it repeatedly (I use GDI+). To eliminate flicker, I use optimizations like drawing into the memory and overriding background erasing of the property page. This solved the flicker problem, but the dialog now has problems with its backgound colour. The property page on which I'm drawing has a white background. If I move another window over the program or minimize and restore the window, the property page background gets the default grey colour (which lasts until I switch to another pro...

comparison charts
Wondering if you could help... I'm looking at charting two measurements in one chart....the stacke columns would preferably be side-by side, within the specific dates.. Total 30-Apr-04 7-May-04 0-30 Past Due 4,666 2,361 31-60 Past Due 293 974 > 60 Past Due 3 3 Excluding NFLD 0-30 Past Due 2,627 1,201 31-60 Past Due 293 524 > 60 Past Due 3 1 In other words, "Total" would have a stacked column for April 3 showing 0-30, 31-60, and >60 past due and right next to it Excludin NFLD would have a stacked column (for comparison)..then space..then Ma 7 (two ...

Creating a Line Graph with Selectable Data
I am trying to create a chart for use in the hotel industry. I have 24 hotels that I would like to chart future room rates over the course of a month. I want the ability to select the hotels I would like to compare on a line graph. Possibly check the hotel name which triggers the data to display on the line graph. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have tried to search for "selectable data", "dynamic charts", etc. and can't seem to find what I need. I am not an Excel expert but I work with the program daily. Best regards. I have jus...

How do I make a graph with 2-cycle X 3-cycle log-log graph paper?
I need to create a graph that uses 2-cycle by 3-cycle log-log graph paper. I was told that Excel can be used to do this. However, after fiddling around with it for an hour, I have been unable to figure out how to do it. Any suggestions? Charles A. Wilson - The only Excel chart type that supports log-log is the XY (Scatter) chart type. If more "fiddling around" with an XY (Scatter) chart doesn't yield results for you, post again with your problem and your version of Excel. - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com "Charles A. Wilson" <Cha...

Area beneath (or above) curve on graph
I was hoping anyone could tell me how, or if excel even can, calculate the area beneath a curve? I can't find an appropraite funtion to return this information in the statistics menu, but something tells me that there should be one. If anyone knows that would be great. I am actually graphing depth of streams, so my curves are concave-down. If the function to work out area beneath a curve can be altered to work out the area *above* one, then the formula would be very useful...and I would be eternally grateful. Thanks! -- Billybob4900 --------------------------------------------------...

Excel graphing and equation issues
Okay so here is my problem. For work, I have a curve that I need to put into excel and find the equation. So I look at the curve and record data points from the curve into excel. I will then graph the points and it will produce a curve just like the one have on paper. My problem comes when I ask excel to produce equations for the curves. The equations it produces do not match the curves when I enter a value into the equation. Why does this happen or how can I fix it? Make sure you start with an XY chart, not a line chart. Then make sure the equation has enough digits, so apply ...

how can i print cards on a single page and edit side two and make.
This isn't. Post your message in this bit, describe it in the top bit. That way, you see the entire message rather than just the start. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Drawings
Is visio good/detailed enough to draw a floor plans of a corporation? If not what do you recommend On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:28:48 -0700, Visio beginner <Visiobeginner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is visio good/detailed enough to draw a floor plans of a corporation? Yes. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Bow tie for Visio http://www.visio-bowtie.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

picture graph in Excel 2007
I used to be able to create a picture graph in earlier versions of Excel and I'm having problems getting this done in 2007. I can create the pictogrraph without problem by: copying the picture pasting it on one bar of the graph formatting the data point choosing stack and scale with 1 unit. The problem is that when I save the spreadsheet and then reopen, the pictures are gone. They will stay if I just choose stack, but with stack and scale, there is a problem. I can't use just stack because the scale will be off depending on the size and shape of the picture. Anyone have a solution...

Drawing tables
Hi, I am trying to draw a table from scratch by using the pen feature to create my table. I am having a hard time drawing the cells within my table. Every time I try to draw a cell, it keeps on drawing another boarder. Is there a trick I am missing on this procedure? Your expertise is greatly appreciated. Joe. Is there are requirement to use the pen feature? Try Insert > Table. I think that will be easier for you. Sandy "Joeman2010" wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to draw a table from scratch by using the pen feature to create > my table...

Moving the Show Desktop to the Left Side of the Screen?
Has anyone tried this posted at the following link? If so, if it does not work or you don't like it, can you get back: http://forums.techarena.in/customize-desktop/1119228.htm Restore classical Taskbar in Windows 7 1. Right-click on a blank area of the taskbar and, remove the checkmark from the item "Lock the taskbar; if there is" 2. Right-click on a blank area of the taskbar and select "Properties" from the context menu 3. Put the checkmark next to "use small icons" 4. Select "Never combine" from the drop-down menu located...

Display max and min on bar graph #2
Hello all. I am constructing bar graph to display the numerical results of our quality metrics, and my boss would like the maximun and the mininum displayed for each category as dots over and in the individual bars. I know I can add error bars, but is there any way to do it as a simple dot and not have the lines? I hope that makes sense. Add a series for the max and a series for the min. Change the chart type for each series to LINE and change the point display as needed. "SWeyer" <SWeyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:022A0A3A-C4C9-4700-88F4-DDEFD5...

Is there an easy way to create automation in a graph?
I am trying to have information within my graphs update automatically. Currently i am using an "offset" function that will create some sort of automation but i was wondering if anyone knew of a more efficient less time consuming method. Thanks If you are using Excel 2003, put you data in a List. A chart made from such data automatically updates. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Duser" <Duser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8C68974-E8F5-4566-BA84-F8EB673E5779@microsoft.com... >I am tryin...

quick help with graphing
okay, this is a pretty simple question. I learned how to do it once, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make it work. here is the problem: I have two sets of data- elapsed time(x-axis) and velocity(y-axis) on a line graph I can get it to graph, however I can't figure out how to change the scale of the x-axis (I can change the y-axis, but not the x-axis).....and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. also, I was supposed to put the x-axis data in one column and the y-axis data in another before I set up the graph, right? any help would be appreciated as this is...

I want to find the lowest point on the plotted line in a graph.
Hi, I want to find the lowest point on the plotted line in XY (Scatter) graph. I have many points scattered above and below the line. I need the lowest point on the line and not the lowest point on the graph. Hi, We need more detail about the line and your data points? Is the line a simple horizontal line, a slope or a undulating line? Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Edwin" <Edwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B9AF947-98BD-467F-9F23-93039DD968DC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I wa...

How to increase the size of a Pivot Table Graph
I have created a very simple Pivot Table 3-D Pie Graph, but it shows on the screen in a size of approxiamtely 2 inches by 2 inches (at 100% window size). I click on the graph to make the four corner points highlight, but I can't drag them to increase the general size of my graph. Can pivot table graphs be increased in size, or are that fixed to one size? Many thanks, Hi did you use the icon on the pivot table toolbar to create the pivot graph? mine always come out at full window size ...also works if i choose this option after choose data / pivot table and pivot chart report and...

Scatter Graph Data representation
Howdy, need some advice on how to plot the following data, I have a column of id's which are made of numbers and characters and another column of numbers. N122 20 N131 30 N131 20 N122 40 N144 20 What I need is to have the ID's on the X axis and The numbers on the Y but it keeps repeating the y axis values. I believe this is a text to number issue but am unaware of a way around this as i need the characters and numbers.... any advise would be helpfull Cheers I'm guessing you want to have the data for N131 plotted at the same X coordinate. When there are charact...

Client-Side Scripting
The black book (Working with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0) gives a list of several global variable that are available to use in Client-Side JavaScripts. One of these is SERVER_URL which "Returns the URL of the CRM Web server". In reality what this actually returns is: "http:// serverName/orgName" which is great, but what if you only want to return the "serverName" part of that string? This was the situation I found myself faced with, so I came up with the following function to do just that. // Returns the hostname of the server running CRM. getServerName function(...