dot plot chart+chart wizard

Can one make a dot plot chart using chart wizard. This chart will have 40
data points. The Y axis will be split in the middle with the upper half being
"+" and the lower half being "-". The median line on Y will be "0".

The graph will demostrate the differences from one number compared to a
second number.

Thanks
0
Martina (8)

If you mean a dot plot as described in this page and the links it contains:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

then no, you can't make a dot plot directly from the chart wizard, but the
page above includes a link to a utility that will make them.

If you mean something different, describe what it looks like, or provide a
link to an example.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"martina" <martina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can one make a dot plot chart using chart wizard. This chart will have 40
> data points. The Y axis will be split in the middle with the upper half
> being
> "+" and the lower half being "-". The median line on Y will be "0".
>
> The graph will demostrate the differences from one number compared to a
> second number.
>
> Thanks

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
1/26/2007 1:55:40 PM
Jon,

Near the bottom of the link you sent, has something similar BUT the
corresponding numbers (in my case it would be the difference between two
numbers) are on the Y axis, not the X. Also there would be no labels as to
each point being plotted. Let me see if I can get it to work using what you
sent me. SPSS is too compliacted for me and I am trying to gather a massive
comparison study between two laboratory instruments.

May contact you again later though. Martina

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> If you mean a dot plot as described in this page and the links it contains:
>
>     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html
>
> then no, you can't make a dot plot directly from the chart wizard, but the
> page above includes a link to a utility that will make them.
>
> If you mean something different, describe what it looks like, or provide a
> link to an example.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "martina" <martina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can one make a dot plot chart using chart wizard. This chart will have 40
> > data points. The Y axis will be split in the middle with the upper half
> > being
> > "+" and the lower half being "-". The median line on Y will be "0".
> >
> > The graph will demostrate the differences from one number compared to a
> > second number.
> >
> > Thanks

0
Martina (8)
1/26/2007 2:37:02 PM
Hi Martina,

Yes - plot the data as three separate series and then format each series to
show +, - or 0 as its marked and set the line display to None.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"martina" wrote:

> Can one make a dot plot chart using chart wizard. This chart will have 40
> data points. The Y axis will be split in the middle with the upper half being
> "+" and the lower half being "-". The median line on Y will be "0".
>
> The graph will demostrate the differences from one number compared to a
> second number.
>
> Thanks
Shane,
I sort of see where you are going with this but maybe I forgot to write that
there are 3 sets of numbers. The first series is from one lab, the second
series is from another lab, and the third series is the difference of the
two, hence some positive and some negative. It is the third series that I
want to do a dot plot.
Martina

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

> Hi Martina,
>
> Yes - plot the data as three separate series and then format each series to
> show +, - or 0 as its marked and set the line display to None.
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "martina" wrote:
>
> > Can one make a dot plot chart using chart wizard. This chart will have 40
> > data points. The Y axis will be split in the middle with the upper half being
> > "+" and the lower half being "-". The median line on Y will be "0".
> >
> > The graph will demostrate the differences from one number compared to a
> > second number.
> >
> > Thanks
0
Martina (8)
1/26/2007 5:54:00 PM
Hi Martina,

Post a little dummy data because I'm not sure what your data looks like.
Are you saying that values above the Median are + and Below the Median - and
on the Median 0?  And exactly what do you mean by the Median value will be 0?
 The median is the half why point and that might or might not be 0.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"martina" wrote:

> Shane,
> I sort of see where you are going with this but maybe I forgot to write that
> there are 3 sets of numbers. The first series is from one lab, the second
> series is from another lab, and the third series is the difference of the
> two, hence some positive and some negative. It is the third series that I
> want to do a dot plot.
> Martina
>
> "ShaneDevenshire" wrote:
>
> > Hi Martina,
> >
> > Yes - plot the data as three separate series and then format each series to
> > show +, - or 0 as its marked and set the line display to None.
> >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Shane Devenshire
> >

> > "martina" wrote:
> >
> > > Can one make a dot plot chart using chart wizard. This chart will have 40
> > > data points. The Y axis will be split in the middle with the upper half being
> > > "+" and the lower half being "-". The median line on Y will be "0".
> > >
> > > The graph will demostrate the differences from one number compared to a
> > > second number.
> > >
> > > Thanks
Here is more detail on how to do this, suppose your data is like below:
Column B is on set of lab results, column C the second lab result, Column D
the formula =C2-B2 to calculate the difference
 A            B               C                D
Name     Lab1         Lab2           Diff.
Test1	61	31	-30
Test2	87	47	-40
Test3	69	97	28
Test4	27	47	20
Test5	72	36	-36
Test6	15	6	-9
Test7	74	80	6
Test8	31	58	27
Test9	86	58	-28
Test10	1	61	60
Test11	70	60	-10
Test12	67	51	-16
Test13	53	43	-10
Test14	43	12	-31
Test15	18	42	24
Test16	15	67	52
Test17	89	77	-12
Test18	40	32	-8
Test19	58	49	-9
Test20	48	38	-10

Chart column A and D with a line chart.

Double-click the series and on the Patterns tab set Lines and Markers to
None, and on the Data Labels tab turn on Values.  Click OK.

Double-click any data label and activate the Numbers tab, choose Custom and
enter the following format:

"+";"-";0

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"martina" wrote:

> Can one make a dot plot chart using chart wizard. This chart will have 40
> data points. The Y axis will be split in the middle with the upper half being
> "+" and the lower half being "-". The median line on Y will be "0".
>
> The graph will demostrate the differences from one number compared to a
> second number.
>
> Thanks

Display Empty Cells as Bar on Bar Chart
I'm creating a spreadsheet to track patch deployment and it has five phases: Initial, Test, Pilot, Due Date and Production. Most of the cells have dates in them but some don't. I would like for the cells with no dates to either show a bar associated with the phase with no date or show nothing, meaning there would be a break in the bar. Is this possible? url:http://www.ureader.com/gp/1029-1.aspx ...

Chart turns gray.. can anyone help
Hi, I am working with a large file.. but not as big as others. This one has a few charts. When I add another it starts acting weird... turning totally gray unless I click on it...? its it the fact that its not embedded or not in front or in back of the worksheet? Thanks for any helpful ideas on correcting this. Go to Options on the Tools menu, click on the View tab, and under Objects, select View All. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Steve Kay wrote: > Hi, I am working with a large file.. but ...

automate 2dline with marker chart generation
In generating line charts with markers, I can change the color of the markers, but not the marker lines and series lines. The VBA code for the markers is: .SeriesCollection(1).Select With Selection .MarkerStyle = xlDiamond .MarkerSize = 9 End With .SeriesCollection(1).Format.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 200, 25) What are the references for the marker lines and the lines between the series points? Excel 2007 Chart Format markers and point line segments. http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/10_31_09a.xlsm the "Herbert Sei...

Pivot Chart: Can Page Fields Interact?
Dear Forum, I have a pivot chart with two page fields across the top, County an City. I would like it so that when I select a County, only the Cities in tha County will appear in the City page field to be selected. Can this be done in a pivot chart? Is there a VB solution. Thanks, Bill Cockeril -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com >-----Original Message----- >Dear Forum, > >I have a pivot chart with two page fields across the top, County and >City. > >I would like it so that when I select a County, only the Cities in that >County will appear in th...

getting data labels on xy chart from additional plot area
I am creating a scatter chart that is designed to show trends in employee performance. Employees are rated with 2 different tools, each using a 5 point scale. I am able to plot the intersection of each tool rating without a problem. However, I would like to be able to add a data label that is employee name. When I add names to the data series, my xy chart now plots each tool as a separate data point, not as an intersection. So...when I use source data like below, the chart looks fine, but employee name is not included. Tool 1 Tool2 ------------------- 4 5 3 ...

vba code causes excel charts to decrease in size and become misali
i have vba code which changes chart series; exports the chart as a gif file. When i run the through the code a number of times, the charts size, plotarea and legendlocation change. does anyone know the cause and solution? thks ken If you shared the offending code, it might help track it down. I've never had problems with this directly, but I've heard enough complaints about it. Then this week, one client suffered the problem on a chart I built for his company. All others using the workbook had no problem, so there might be something particular about his setup. - Jon ------- Jon...

How do i show a line of best fit in a scatter plot in excel?
Chart menu > Add Trendline - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "ShelbySenior07" <ShelbySenior07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:956F66C3-D7D9-4AC3-99F8-22E6C53722D0@microsoft.com... > Hello Does EXCEL automatically generate the equation of the line? Barry Mayers -- bmayers ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bmayers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35753 View this thread: http://www.exc...

where can i find a FREE MARKETING PLAN with a WIZARD
Does anyone know where i can find a FREE MARKETING PLAN with a WIZARD There are some templates on the Microsoft web site. Maybe one of those would help you -- http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=marketing "Cushla" wrote: > Does anyone know where i can find a FREE MARKETING PLAN with a WIZARD Hi Debra, i have found this very helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question, Many thanks Cushla "Debra Dalgleish" wrote: > There are some templates on the Microsoft web site. Maybe one of those would > he...

Set color for chart serie in excel 2007/2010
Hi! I want to do a macro that sets the color for the chart series to the color the company has desided to use. We have a theme but we can only set color for the first 6 series and we often use much more series. I have understod that this isnt so easy as to loop thru the series and set the color since the color is set on different ways depending on the charttype for the serie, or is it a way to do this so it works for all chart types? thanks As you say only six basic colours are available. However each subsequent set of six is a shade lighter, although each incremental differe...

sbs2003 sp2 RWW wizard doesn't complete
Hi everbody, -- simonxjsv12 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ simonxjsv12's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/162094.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1279861.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Upsizing Wizard Access 2000
I have split my database into a front end and a back end. The back end contains only the tables. I installed SQL Server 2005 Express. When I use the upsizing wizard I select "create new database" The next question is "What SQL Server would you like to use for this database?" I select the only choice "(Local)" Then I am asked for the Login Id and password. After I enter the login and password I get the following error: Connection failed: SQL State:'01000' SQL error Error:2 [Microsoft][ODBC Server Driver][Shared Memory]ConnectionOpen(Connect()) Co...

Custom Type Charts Problem
I am using Custom Type Charts in Excel, which uses Pivot Table as the Data Source. The problem that I am facing here is that whenever I Refresh the data using the Refresh icon, the Custom Type charts LOOSE their formatting. To make my problem clearer, I am attaching a sample Excel sheet herewith. In the sample file, go to 3rd sheet "Custom Type Chart" and have a look at the "Tubes" chart. Now click on the "!" Icon (this is the Refresh icon). The formatting of the chart changes. Try this out with the "Normal Chart". The formatting remains the same. ...

Creating a grouping variable with a scatter plot
I have the following data: Very Little Somewhat Moderate A Great Deal No Strongly Disagree 1 0 0 0 Somewhat Disagree 0 0 0 0 Somewhat Agree 1 0 1 0 Somewhat Disagree 1 0 0 0 Yes Strongly Disagree 0 2 1 1 Somewhat Dis...

Excel charts into powerpoint
Is there some simple code that I can use to get a group of excel charts into an existing powerpoint presentation? ...

Make a chart axis visible/invisible with VBA
(I posted this in the Programming newsgroup but realized it was probably more appropriate to post here...) Hello. I'm using Excel 2003. I have a chart on a page and I want to set the scale on the Y axis programatically with VBA. I have written code that does this successfully. The problem: The code will not work if the Y axis is hidden (which I want) - it throws an error saying it can't set the Maximum value. Where I need help: I'm having trouble writing the code to make the Y axis visible, then invisible again. The idea being that I'll display it, set the scale, ...

Adding charts with VBA
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx ...

how to fix end point of a chart
how to fix end points of a chart for different X & Y value Please clarify your question. What do your end points look like and what do you want to change? "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCC055D5-4568-43DF-9CDF-98A45D361AFE@microsoft.com... > how to fix end points of a chart for different X & Y value ...

Chart that will expand to aditional rows
I have a chart now with this in the data range: =PHQChartQuery!$A$2:$C$7 But I would like it to look like this =PHQChartQuery!$A$2:$C$500 But when I do there there alot of extra points on the graph. I would like it to only show on the graph only the rows that have data in them and then if I add data later on it will update the graph. So I don't have to keep redoing the range everytime data is entered. Is this possible? Hi, You need to use named ranges with dynamic formula. Have a look at Jon Peltier's page, which contains information on the technique and links to other sit...

Chart select, yet changing set of series
How can I have a chart that *only* plots series chosen by the user. Fo example: I would like to have a on/off (1/0) switch for each series of data. want the chart to only plot series with the on switch value. Also, I' looking for a true solution, not one that plots the off series on th axis. All help is, as always, greatly appreciated -- nam ----------------------------------------------------------------------- name's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3411 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55945 Oh I...

column totals on stacked column chart
Hi. Is there a good way to get the column totals on a stacked column chart to appear above the columns? All I have gotten so far is the individual pieces of the column to show their values inside of the column, but the user wants the column total, above the column. Thanks. Mark Hi, Assuming your chart is a 2d stacked column you could use dummy data series plotted on the secondary axis to display the total. Create yourself a helper column on your worksheet that sums the values of each column. Add this to the chart. At first it will be an extra portion on each stack. Select the serie...

Custom charts
I have two sets of data i want to chart. One set on the x axis and the second set on the y axis. How do I create this? David Wyatt wrote: > I have two sets of data i want to chart. One set on the x > axis and the second set on the y axis. How do I create > this? Do you mean an x-y scatter chart? Dave dvt at psu dot edu JUST SET YOUR DATA UP LIKE THIS X Y 1 3 2 4 5 6 AND SELECT AND XY SCATTER ON THE CHART WIZARD dvt wrote: > David Wyatt wrote: > >>I have two sets of data i want to chart. One set on the x >>axis and the second set on the y axis. How ...

Gantt Chart
I have 8 projects that I present in a Project-file. I want to separate the different projects by using different colors. That works for the left hand (Sheet), but I can't figure out how to do in on the right hand side (Gant Chart). Anyone got some advice? You can control the Gantt Chart colors with Flag fields. You'll have to use a number of flag fields to identify each project. http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm #31 - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > I have 8 projects that I present in a Project-file. I want to separate > the diffe...

Can I Apply Conditional Formatting to a Chart?
I don't agree with my boss's ideas regarding Excel Charts - I think that they are to cluttered and become less effective. So, I would like to apply conditional formatting via a checkbox to "turn off"(apply white/transparent properties)to one or more series in a chart, effectively eliminating the overlapping series from view temporarily. Can this be done? Is the answer VB?I think this could be very effective in clarifying data that is consistently overlapping each other. (Actually I would just make 3 separate charts on the same page, but nobody is asking me!) Tell me w...

break a slice up in my pie chart into sub-catagories
I need to have a sub-catagories (details) for each main slice of pie. Is there a way of doing that in excel? Hi, These may help you out. http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=471 http://www.andypope.info/charts/pies.htm Cheers Andy aliann wrote: > I need to have a sub-catagories (details) for each main slice of pie. Is > there a way of doing that in excel? > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Bar-of-pie Charts
I cannot seem to get this to work but I want to create either a bar of pie or a pie of pie. I have 3 data poits adding to 100% (easy Pie chart) Say Fruit(50%), Veggies(25%) and Grains (25%). I want to explode the fruit by showing it's composition. so of the 50% 33% is apples, 40% is plums, and the remainder grapes. That subset represents 100% of the fruit which represents 50% of the total. Can I do this with a bar or pie of pie graph and how do I do it? Jon Jon - Combine your two sets of data: grains 25.0% veggies 25.0% fruits 50.0% apples 33.0% plums 40.0% grapes 27.0%...