Does "find and replace" work within a chart?

"find and replace" (ctrl-h) will not replace text in the legand of my charts.
 Is there any way to make this happen?
0
jspalsky (2)

This page describes how you can change a series formula:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChgSrsFmla.html

Keep in mind that the series formula's first argument relates to the
series name, which appears in the legend. If it's entered as text, this
technique (or the associated add-in) will change it directly. If it's a
cell link, use Find-Replace on the worksheet range containing the series
names.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

jspalsky wrote:

> "find and replace" (ctrl-h) will not replace text in the legand of my charts.
>  Is there any way to make this happen?
Thanks!
0
jspalsky (2)

Excel find and replace within a range of values?
I've basically got a data set, that I need to convert to values for a neural net. My problem is I can replace standard entries such as 'male' to the corresponding numeric value but for fields such as age, where say a range between 25 and 35 is 0.5, it has to find every age within that range and convert them all to 0.5. Is there an easy way of doing this without having to do it manually? Si -- Bumble "I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life...

Find and Replace Text with CarriageReturn
I get a data extract that includes "\n" text. I would like to replace with CarriageReturn using a macro. I cannot seem to make the normal Find and Replace work for this. Rick one way: Cells.Replace _ What:="/n", _ Replacement:=Chr(10), _ LookAt:=xlPart, _ SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _ MatchCase:=False Regards Trevor "RickT" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:041b01c3d3e3$25637da0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I get a data extract that includes "\n" text. I would > like to re...

Find and Replace Footnote Numbering
I often have documents where I need to put formatting before or after the footnote number for every footnote, often for hundreds of footnotes...anyone know how I can do this in one shot? I know I can specify ^f in find and replace, but only in the find portion...it gives an error if you put it in replace. ...

Limitation of Find and Replace Text in Excel #2
It works fine. thanks so much -- wolfteet ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wolfteeth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1446 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26086 ...

Is it possible to find and replace text formatting?
Hello, I'd like to know if it's possible to find and replace text based on text formatting and style. For example, if I have text in Arial 9pt, and I want all text in this format to be changed to Arial 7 pt. Is this possible in Visio? Or do you have to do this manually? Thanks. Hi Luciel, There's nothing build in that will help you to do this...unless you define a Text style (Format > Define Styles...) You could define a style named LucyArial and give it the arial font, 9pt, etc... Then you apply that to shapes using Format > Styles, or using the drop-downs in the ...

find and replace in imported picture
Hello, I am trying to replace all decimal points by a comma in an imported picture in powerpoint 2003. Find .([0-9]) and replace ,\1 doesn't work. Any (simple) suggestion please? I'm confused. If it's a picture, you can't replace anything in it. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx "JL LEROY" <JL LEROY @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Find and Replace Problem when using RichEdit20W
Hi, VC++ 6.0 SP5 Windows 2000 I use RichEdit20W to build MDI application with RichEdit View supporting Unicode. After I using this DLL, I found that the Find and Replace functions doesn't work. I use ID_EDIT_FIND and ID_EDIT_REPLACE (default resource IDs) to provide a default menu item for user to find and replace text in the RichEdit View. But, I found that both functions work well if I use the older version of RichEdit (the default one) instead of RichEdit20W. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thank you very much! Kathy You need to use WM_FINDTEXTW or WM_FINDTEXTE...

Wild Cards in Find and Replace
Can I use # symbol in a search and replace as a wildcard? I have an if statement I want to change to and equals statement but I don't want to have to replace all 200+ entries manually. TIA Jon Simple answer is no. You can use ? to replace a single character or * to replace multiple characters. Eg. H?L finds all 3-letter words beginning with H and ending with L; H*L finds all words beginning with H and ending with L. "Jason Graf" <JGraf@ajdebruin.com> wrote in message news:#ooZPU8BFHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Can I use # symbol in a search and replace as a wil...

Find and replace formatting
When I use search and replacein word 03 it replaces eveything in capital letter even when i type in lower case in the replace with box. How do i stop this please? The answer is probably so simple but im just missing it!! Please help as its very frustrating. Thanks Maybe your Replace With box has the "All Caps" option turned on? (If it is, you should see a notation just below the box.) To turn it off, in the Find/Replace window click "More" and then "No Formatting" at the bottom, and if that's not on, click Format > Font and clear the &qu...

Open Excel from a VB6 application then use "Find and Replace" form
Hi all, I need to open Excel from an VB6 application and run the "Find and Replace" form using a value that the VB application has it. I like the "Find and Replace" form better that using regular code because it has an window that opens and shows what are the search results. Any suggestion is welcome!!! You can use the standard built in dialog like this Sub test() Set FindDialog = Application.Dialogs(xlDialogFormulaFind) Results = FindDialog.Show ' results is a boolean MyResults = ActiveCell.Value End Sub I've never been able to figure...

find and replace #4
Hello, Try to type ~ in a cell or a string containing ~ and look for its full content with the find and replace command. Why doesn'it find anything ??? It is the same with the vba function. It looks like ~ isn't considered in the argument while it is seen in the cell values. Is it the same for other chars. How do we handle that ? Cheers. From Excel Help: You can find asterisks, question marks, and tilde characters (~) in worksheet data by preceding them with a tilde character in the Find what box. For example, to find data that contains "?", you would type ~? as yo...

how to find and replace a symbol in my worksheet
I need help with finding and then replacing a symbol in my worksheet. In the find and replace box there is no way to insert a symbol there. I have tried to cut and paste as well as to insert the symbol in the find box. If anyone has an idea on how to replace a bullet with a comma please let me know. Thanks TC TC In the Replace What: box you would hold down the ALT key then hit the ascii code number on the NumPad. Bullets are usually ALT + 0149 So.........select the cells. Edit>Replace what: ALT + 0149 you will not see anything in the what: box, but it is there. with: , Replace...

Can you Find and Replace values with in a formula?
Is it possible to search and replace values within a formula? I realize it is easy to due to a value in a cell, but I am unable to perform this with the formulas with in the cells. Edit > Replace..........works fine for me on regular text or formulas in XL2k...........what version Excel are you having trouble with? Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "rascall" <rascall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A311F89-402F-4031-A727-CEEE0E5F2397@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to search and replace values within a formula? I realize it > is easy to due to a...

Find and replace with condition
Help - I want to update values in a column, but this is with conditions in other cells e.g. A B C 1 blue Fred 2 black Jim 3 blue Steve change blue to red in column A, where content of B = Fred Can this be done? For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp).Row If Cells(i,"A").Value = "blue" And Cells(i,"B").Value = "Fred") Then Cells(I,"A").Value = "red" End If Next i -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Stuart" &...

How do I find and replace a question mark in Excel?
I have a range of cells with a single question mark ?, Y or N. I can't filter with the question mark since Excel thinks it's a wild card. I wasn't aware of this when I set up the spreadsheet. So I would like to replace the question marks with something else, but this still presents the same problem. How can I specify that I mean a question mark and not a wild card? Thanks. use ~? instead and this will tell Excel to look for a ? as a ? and not as a wildcard. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 9...

Can you "Find and Replace" programatically?
Access Newbie. Not a programmer. Got a Membership database with 450 members. Got a field called Membership_Status that can be "Expired", "Active", "Inactive", "Pending New", "Pending Active", "New Member" and "Deceased" I would like programatically to: 1. First, go thru the whole database and change all "Expired" to "Inactive" 2. Then go thru the whole database and change all "Active" and "New Member" to "Expired" 3. Then go thru the whole database and change all "...

Find and Replace a cell value of unknown location
Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular column - say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when the cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known? And also is there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete the row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this one? To use a function you can use MATCH to find the value in a column. look in the help index. Howev...

How do i use the find and replace in excel 2003
I would like to replace 1800 product numbers and put my numbers onto them. can i do this all at one time or do i have to relace the numbers 1 at a time. Thanks for any help you can give me. "Bev" wrote: > I would like to replace 1800 product numbers > and put my numbers onto them. > can i do this all at one time > or do i have to relace the numbers 1 at a time. Unlikely that Edit > Replace would work since you probably have 1,800 different replacement product numbers for the original set. But a simple vlookup might suffice though. Here's an example: Ass...

find and replace, within workbook
Is there a registry hack excel, find and replace, within workbook I do Ctrl-F to search and get to the Find and Replace dialogue box and select in Excel 2003 SP2 the Options > > button. It will expand the dialogue box a bit more. After the expansion, it displays the three drop down fields and the two check boxes. I would like to set it so it searches by default Within: Workbook instead of Within: Sheet (the default). I have multiple workbooks and would like to search for all of them. Is there a registry hack to set to 0 or 1 that will change from Sheet to Find and Replace Within: ...

Find and replace #3
I have a table with 6 columns, A to F. Column A contains unique item numbers. Column B contains descriptions of those items. Columns C-F contain a random listing of the numbers from column A. I want to replace the random listings of items in C-F with the descriptions of the items from column B. There are 1300 items. Can I do this without running 1300 Find and Replaces? I would be happy with four new columns added that have the descriptions for the random items in C-F in the same order (not exactly a replace). Thanks! Al -- ovid962 -----------------------------------------------------...

Find and Replace #13
I have a worksheet with this formula in Col A1 thru A50: ='Mar Srv Rpt '!D62 (It's referencing another open worksheet) I want to hi-lit the formula and do a Find on Mar and Replace with Apr. However, when I do that, Excel opens windows explorer and wants me to "update values" and then gives me an #ERR in the Cell I'm working in. Is this a formatting problem on my part? If the workhseet is in the same workbook, and the sheet is named "Apr Srv Rpt " (note the space on the end), then it should work fine. Otherwise, you are 1) changing the link from an in...

Find and Replace 05-27-10
We are using a scanner to input a barcode number into "Find What" box in find and replace in excel. Is there a way to make it stay highlighted for the next input without having to use the mouse to double click to re-select after each input? ...

How do I find and replace the "
Hello, I've got approximately 3500 products in my spreadsheet. I'm not sure why, but the apostrophe signs are multiply. For example """"""Product a is 2""x3"" long.""""" I've tried using find and replace with the ~" but I keep getting a "Formula too long" error message. I get the message if I try to find and replace them singularly and when I use the replace all feature. Does anyone know how I can remove these apostrophes from my spreadsheet? I've searched high and low and can&#...

Find and Replace problem
hello all... first... thanks to all who offer their expertise..... this group has been a wonderful asset. My problem.... a few weeks ago I built a spreadsheet whereby I could enter time quickly by simply typing, say, 12.45 and the spreadsheet would automatically replace the . with a : on the fly. I set that find/replace routine up so that I could use the number pad to enter the times on the fly. Now, no matter what spreadsheet I open it will replace the period with a colon. And for the life of me I can't figure out/remember how I set it up or how to make it stop..... aaarrrggghh! ...

find and replace or ?
Hi, I have a spreadsheet I've been updating which originally utilized a helper column with a date in it. Another column contained a rather long formula which referenced the cell in the helper column with a relative reference. I put the value that was in the helper column in a different location and wanted to update the formula to accommodate an absolute reference to the newly relocated value. Find and replace worked fine for the first instance of the formula, but I had to change the cell reference in the "find" box to update the formula in the next instance. I know I can ...