determining (and displaying) slopes that exceed x

I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
criteria I set forth?

0
JZip (18)
1/6/2005 9:09:05 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

8 Replies
591 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

JZip,

Assuming the miles and feet data below, say you want to color any part of 
the series that exceeds a slope of 500 feet.  Try setting your data up as 
follows:

Miles	Feet	Slope	UL	LL	UL or LL >0
0	0				
0.5	124	248	0	0	
1.0	350	452	0	350	350
1.5	645	590	645	0	645
2.0	876	462	0	0	
2.5	978	204	0	0	
3.0	843	-270	0	0	
3.5	721	-244	0	0	
4.0	896	350	0	896	896
4.5	1,431	1,070	1,431	0	1,431
5.0	1,578	294	0	0	
5.5	1,438	-280	0	0	
6.0	1,548	220	0	0	

Assume the Mile heading is in cell A1.  The XY Chart original series is 
based on Miles and Feet.  The second series that returns the different color 
is the UL (upper level) or LL (lower level) > 0 series. 

The Slope is calculated as (Y2 –Y1) / (X2 – X1).  This slope formula appears 
in cell C3. 

=(B3-B2)/(A3-A2)

The UL (upper limit) is a formula that returns any slope value greater than 
500 feet.  This upper limit formula appears in cell D3:

=IF(C3>500,$B3,0)

The LL (lower limit) is an offset formula that keys in on any upper limit 
greater than zero.  It says “if the upper limit in is greater than zero, go 
to the Feet column and return the number one cell lower than the row 
containing the upper limit value”.  This lower limit formula appears in cell 
E3:

=IF(D4>0,B3,0)

The UL of LL > 0 column is anything in columns D or E that is greater than 
zero.  This is the column in which to create the second series. 

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com


"JZip" wrote:

> I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
> The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
> chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
> the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
> I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
> areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
> criteria I set forth?
> 
0
1/6/2005 11:26:50 PM
Fernando Cinquegrani (http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html) has some very creative 
charting utilities on his web site, including some contour charts. It's in Italian, 
but you could translate the page using babelfish.com or one of the other services.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

JZip wrote:

> I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
> The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
> chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
> the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
> I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
> areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
> criteria I set forth?
> 

0
1/7/2005 4:00:50 AM
Jon,
He certainly has some creative graphing ideas there.  Unfortunately none ot 
them relate to my problem.  As for the contour graphs, they aren't necessary 
since this data is from GIS maps that I have built.
Do you have any suggestions as to how to accomplish what I have in mind?  I 
have yet to try the other response i received here, but your techniques have 
worked out so well for me in the past (especially the XY Scatter Area Chart - 
thanks for that btw) that I thought you might have an idea as to how to 
accompish what I have in mind.  
If you like, I can send a copy of the pared down data of one of the charts.
Thx much.
Jeff

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Fernando Cinquegrani (http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html) has some very creative 
> charting utilities on his web site, including some contour charts. It's in Italian, 
> but you could translate the page using babelfish.com or one of the other services.
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
> 
> JZip wrote:
> 
> > I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
> > The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
> > chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
> > the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
> > I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
> > areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
> > criteria I set forth?
> > 
> 
> 
0
JZip (18)
1/7/2005 2:27:02 PM
Jeff -

What I thought is that maybe his contour chart might be somehow deconvoluted. If 
it's constructed of shapes, you might be able to measure slopes by the closeness of 
the lines. How did you want to color the chart region? Fernando's convex hulls 
example draws shapes on the chart which could serve this purpose. This is further 
outside of the Excel charting box than I usually venture, which is why I thought of 
Fernando's stuff.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

JZip wrote:

> Jon,
> He certainly has some creative graphing ideas there.  Unfortunately none ot 
> them relate to my problem.  As for the contour graphs, they aren't necessary 
> since this data is from GIS maps that I have built.
> Do you have any suggestions as to how to accomplish what I have in mind?  I 
> have yet to try the other response i received here, but your techniques have 
> worked out so well for me in the past (especially the XY Scatter Area Chart - 
> thanks for that btw) that I thought you might have an idea as to how to 
> accompish what I have in mind.  
> If you like, I can send a copy of the pared down data of one of the charts.
> Thx much.
> Jeff
> 
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> 
> 
>>Fernando Cinquegrani (http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html) has some very creative 
>>charting utilities on his web site, including some contour charts. It's in Italian, 
>>but you could translate the page using babelfish.com or one of the other services.
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>
>>JZip wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
>>>The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
>>>chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
>>>the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
>>>I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
>>>areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
>>>criteria I set forth?
>>>
>>
>>

0
1/8/2005 4:22:02 AM
Jon,
Actually, John's suggestion above worked.  Only thing is, I tried applying 
your scatter/area treatment to that series too, but was unsuccessful.  I 
think if I add the scatter/area treatment to this new series before removing 
the seconday axes it may work.  
These charts are getting a bit more complex than I had in mind.  I would 
like to find a way to display all the data I want, but perhaps find a simpler 
method of doing it, or perhaps automating part of it, particulary since I am 
hoping to do them for each trail in a State Park, and eventually, each park 
in the state.  Perhaps you can offer a suggestion.
The charts consist of:
series 1: elevation in feet (Y axis)/distance in miles (X axis) 
series 2: scatter/area treatment of series 1
series 3: intersection points along trail
labels of series 3 using X-Y Chart Labeller
series 4: sections of trail exceeding slope of .099
series 5 (hopefully): scatter/area treatment of series 4

The points are products of GPS data that I collect as I hike the trails.  
They can be anywhere from 150-1400 points, and require a good bit of work 
before even the first series can be charted, therefore any streamlining would 
be highly beneficial.  

Thanks for your attention,
Jeff


"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Jeff -
> 
> What I thought is that maybe his contour chart might be somehow deconvoluted. If 
> it's constructed of shapes, you might be able to measure slopes by the closeness of 
> the lines. How did you want to color the chart region? Fernando's convex hulls 
> example draws shapes on the chart which could serve this purpose. This is further 
> outside of the Excel charting box than I usually venture, which is why I thought of 
> Fernando's stuff.
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
> 
> JZip wrote:
> 
> > Jon,
> > He certainly has some creative graphing ideas there.  Unfortunately none ot 
> > them relate to my problem.  As for the contour graphs, they aren't necessary 
> > since this data is from GIS maps that I have built.
> > Do you have any suggestions as to how to accomplish what I have in mind?  I 
> > have yet to try the other response i received here, but your techniques have 
> > worked out so well for me in the past (especially the XY Scatter Area Chart - 
> > thanks for that btw) that I thought you might have an idea as to how to 
> > accompish what I have in mind.  
> > If you like, I can send a copy of the pared down data of one of the charts.
> > Thx much.
> > Jeff
> > 
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> > 
> > 
> >>Fernando Cinquegrani (http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html) has some very creative 
> >>charting utilities on his web site, including some contour charts. It's in Italian, 
> >>but you could translate the page using babelfish.com or one of the other services.
> >>
> >>- Jon
> >>-------
> >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>Peltier Technical Services
> >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> >>_______
> >>
> >>JZip wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
> >>>The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
> >>>chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
> >>>the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
> >>>I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
> >>>areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
> >>>criteria I set forth?
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> 
> 
0
JZip (18)
1/10/2005 2:53:02 PM
John,
That did the trick, thanks.  Plus, it allowed me to expand my knowledge of 
excel functions and their application.  Thanx a ton.
Jeff

"John Mansfield" wrote:

> JZip,
> 
> Assuming the miles and feet data below, say you want to color any part of 
> the series that exceeds a slope of 500 feet.  Try setting your data up as 
> follows:
> 
> Miles	Feet	Slope	UL	LL	UL or LL >0
> 0	0				
> 0.5	124	248	0	0	
> 1.0	350	452	0	350	350
> 1.5	645	590	645	0	645
> 2.0	876	462	0	0	
> 2.5	978	204	0	0	
> 3.0	843	-270	0	0	
> 3.5	721	-244	0	0	
> 4.0	896	350	0	896	896
> 4.5	1,431	1,070	1,431	0	1,431
> 5.0	1,578	294	0	0	
> 5.5	1,438	-280	0	0	
> 6.0	1,548	220	0	0	
> 
> Assume the Mile heading is in cell A1.  The XY Chart original series is 
> based on Miles and Feet.  The second series that returns the different color 
> is the UL (upper level) or LL (lower level) > 0 series. 
> 
> The Slope is calculated as (Y2 –Y1) / (X2 – X1).  This slope formula appears 
> in cell C3. 
> 
> =(B3-B2)/(A3-A2)
> 
> The UL (upper limit) is a formula that returns any slope value greater than 
> 500 feet.  This upper limit formula appears in cell D3:
> 
> =IF(C3>500,$B3,0)
> 
> The LL (lower limit) is an offset formula that keys in on any upper limit 
> greater than zero.  It says “if the upper limit in is greater than zero, go 
> to the Feet column and return the number one cell lower than the row 
> containing the upper limit value”.  This lower limit formula appears in cell 
> E3:
> 
> =IF(D4>0,B3,0)
> 
> The UL of LL > 0 column is anything in columns D or E that is greater than 
> zero.  This is the column in which to create the second series. 
> 
> ----
> Regards,
> John Mansfield
> http://www.pdbook.com
> 
> 
> "JZip" wrote:
> 
> > I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
> > The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
> > chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
> > the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
> > I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
> > areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
> > criteria I set forth?
> > 
0
JZip (18)
1/10/2005 4:53:04 PM
Jon,
I still can't get the new area treatment (the one I did for the slope 
series) to behave properly.  It remains oriented to the secondary x axis 
(facing upwards) even after I uncheck the category (x) axis crosses at max 
value box on the secondary y axis. The original area treatment is 
successfully flipped to be in line with the bottom of the chart, but the new 
one still points skyward.
Any ideas? 
Thx for all your help,
Jeff
  
"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Jeff -
> 
> What I thought is that maybe his contour chart might be somehow deconvoluted. If 
> it's constructed of shapes, you might be able to measure slopes by the closeness of 
> the lines. How did you want to color the chart region? Fernando's convex hulls 
> example draws shapes on the chart which could serve this purpose. This is further 
> outside of the Excel charting box than I usually venture, which is why I thought of 
> Fernando's stuff.
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
> 
> JZip wrote:
> 
> > Jon,
> > He certainly has some creative graphing ideas there.  Unfortunately none ot 
> > them relate to my problem.  As for the contour graphs, they aren't necessary 
> > since this data is from GIS maps that I have built.
> > Do you have any suggestions as to how to accomplish what I have in mind?  I 
> > have yet to try the other response i received here, but your techniques have 
> > worked out so well for me in the past (especially the XY Scatter Area Chart - 
> > thanks for that btw) that I thought you might have an idea as to how to 
> > accompish what I have in mind.  
> > If you like, I can send a copy of the pared down data of one of the charts.
> > Thx much.
> > Jeff
> > 
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> > 
> > 
> >>Fernando Cinquegrani (http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html) has some very creative 
> >>charting utilities on his web site, including some contour charts. It's in Italian, 
> >>but you could translate the page using babelfish.com or one of the other services.
> >>
> >>- Jon
> >>-------
> >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>Peltier Technical Services
> >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> >>_______
> >>
> >>JZip wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
> >>>The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
> >>>chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
> >>>the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
> >>>I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
> >>>areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
> >>>criteria I set forth?
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> 
> 
0
JZip (18)
1/10/2005 4:59:03 PM
jon,
ignore that last question.  i'm a dope.  i had the second area treatment 
selected as a stacked area chart type.  boy is my face red.  all is good now.
again, if you have any ideas as to how to simplify this process they would 
be warmly recieved, otherwise, thanks so much for your help.
jeff

"JZip" wrote:

> Jon,
> I still can't get the new area treatment (the one I did for the slope 
> series) to behave properly.  It remains oriented to the secondary x axis 
> (facing upwards) even after I uncheck the category (x) axis crosses at max 
> value box on the secondary y axis. The original area treatment is 
> successfully flipped to be in line with the bottom of the chart, but the new 
> one still points skyward.
> Any ideas? 
> Thx for all your help,
> Jeff
>   
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> 
> > Jeff -
> > 
> > What I thought is that maybe his contour chart might be somehow deconvoluted. If 
> > it's constructed of shapes, you might be able to measure slopes by the closeness of 
> > the lines. How did you want to color the chart region? Fernando's convex hulls 
> > example draws shapes on the chart which could serve this purpose. This is further 
> > outside of the Excel charting box than I usually venture, which is why I thought of 
> > Fernando's stuff.
> > 
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > Peltier Technical Services
> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > http://PeltierTech.com/
> > _______
> > 
> > JZip wrote:
> > 
> > > Jon,
> > > He certainly has some creative graphing ideas there.  Unfortunately none ot 
> > > them relate to my problem.  As for the contour graphs, they aren't necessary 
> > > since this data is from GIS maps that I have built.
> > > Do you have any suggestions as to how to accomplish what I have in mind?  I 
> > > have yet to try the other response i received here, but your techniques have 
> > > worked out so well for me in the past (especially the XY Scatter Area Chart - 
> > > thanks for that btw) that I thought you might have an idea as to how to 
> > > accompish what I have in mind.  
> > > If you like, I can send a copy of the pared down data of one of the charts.
> > > Thx much.
> > > Jeff
> > > 
> > > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> > > 
> > > 
> > >>Fernando Cinquegrani (http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html) has some very creative 
> > >>charting utilities on his web site, including some contour charts. It's in Italian, 
> > >>but you could translate the page using babelfish.com or one of the other services.
> > >>
> > >>- Jon
> > >>-------
> > >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > >>Peltier Technical Services
> > >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> > >>_______
> > >>
> > >>JZip wrote:
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>>I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed.  
> > >>>The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter 
> > >>>chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform).  I would like to show 
> > >>>the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color.  
> > >>>I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those 
> > >>>areas and then add it to the chart.  How do I determine which areas meet the 
> > >>>criteria I set forth?
> > >>>
> > >>
> > >>
> > 
> > 
0
JZip (18)
1/10/2005 5:21:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do I display an empty cell and calculate on it
I am using a reference on one sheet to fill the values in another. If a cell has not value it I want it to be blank. But I also what it to be used in a calculation when it is populated. I have tried nothing, but it enters a 0, I have tried =IF(Data!C2>0,Data!C2,""), =IF(Data!C2>0,Data!C2,null), =IF(Data!C2>0,Data!C2,isnull) but each has it's own problems. Is there a way to make a cell empty and calculate on it while referencing another sheet? Thanks Dave The standard way is as follows: =if(data!c2="","",yourcalculation here)...

not displaying the icon at TOP/LEFT corner of dialog application?
WHat is the effective way to cause a dialog application to stop displaying the little icon at the TOP/LEFT corner of the dialog application? I cleverly commented out some default icon related functions inside ::OnPaint() and OnInitDialog(). But all it did is replace the icon instead with an MSDOS icon. :-O WS_POPUP I think. >-----Original Message----- >WHat is the effective way to cause a dialog application to stop displaying >the little icon at the TOP/LEFT corner of the dialog application? > >I cleverly commented out some default icon related functions inside ::OnPaint...

Displayed Row Height Difference For Excel on Mac and PC
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Can anyone explain why the displayed row height is different on Excel for Mac compared to Excel for PC? When I open the default worksheet on my Mac, it displays 70 rows on the screen. When I open the default worksheet on my PC, it displays 50 rows on the screen. This occurs using the exact same monitor (Viewsonic 22") and the exact same screen resolution (1680 x 1050). The default row height on the Mac is 0.18" and the default row height on the PC is 12.75 points (0.177"?). I not...

Font list drop down display
I'm a font freak. I scroll through hundreds, maybe thousands, of fonts when I create publications. It seemed in the earlier versions of Publisher that if I selected my text and chose, say, comic sans, and didn't like it so I went back to the font drop down menu and the menu continued from the Comic Sans font down. With 2003 and the trial version of 2007 I may look at a "K" font and if I want to change it, the menu pops back up to the "A" fonts and I have to scroll through all of them again to go past the font I just tried. Make any sense? This isn't ...

CRM 4 Closed opportunity actual revenue not correct displayed
Hello, When selecting the screen opportunities with closed opportunities the display format of the Actual Revenue is not correct. We run a dutch format setup in with english as language. when opening the screen the actual revenue is correctly displayed IE 88.000 --> 880.000.000,00 Any Ideas Hi, Have you checked your Pricing Decimal Precion under Administration, System Settings? Regards, Donna "W. Groothand" wrote: > Hello, > > When selecting the screen opportunities with closed opportunities the > display format of the Actual Revenue is not correct. We...

I have data in a time series that starts from 0 but i dont want x.
I have data in a time series that starts from 0 but i dont want x axis to start at zero I want it to start earlier but to not show on the graph If it is an XY chart, or a line chart with a date scale, you can double click on the X axis, and adjust the axis minimum scale. What exactly don't you want to appear on the chart? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Zoe" <Zoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006FF703-D56C-438E-8343-B14962E8D5DA@microso...

Cell/X Axis Issue
My chart pulls data from another spreadsheet and populates the chart. The X axis pulls 2 cells and one has each word in it, i.e. one cell has 'Facility' and the other has 'Complaint'. On the other spreadsheet, the cells are one above the other like: Facility Complaint The issue is that the word 'Facility' ends up being perpendictular to 'Complaint' in the axis and I would like to have them both horizontal. This is a screenshot so you have an idea what I'm talking about: http://i41.tinypic.com/fc8x6x.jpg Hi, If you use Excel's default axis for bot...

Code to Query SQL Server with a parameter value (entered into an Input Box), and have that value also display in a selected cell on a worksheet
I'm wondering how BEST to accomplish this. I have a EXCEL workbook which populates data to, and retrieves data from SQL Server. I currently have VBA code which effectively sends the data from the EXCEL worksheet to SQL Server tables -- no problem with this. I currently have VBA code which effectively retrieves data from SQL Server and displays that data back into the worksheet -- no problem with this either. I'm currently using a Command Button (on-click event) and the code below to query SQL Server to determine the Max Version Number and add 1 to that value. This value is t...

How do display "paycheck" in report?
I'm using Money 2004 Small Business I'm running a month to date profit/loss report, which shows all income vs. expenses and a net worth. On the income part, my gross (no taxes taken out) paycheck amount shows. On the expense part, taxes on these paychecks show. I'd like to display only the net pay on the income part. Not gross. In my account listing, I use a split transaction to enter paychecks. On the "paycheck" window, I enter the gross paycheck amount on the "wages" tab and use the "taxes" tab to enter all related taxes. I finish and the cate...

Displaying html
Hi, I am not sure if this is possible. I want a component that can display Html on a UserForm. I think there are some components that will display HTML if you supply them with the source path for the html file. However, what I am looking for is a component that can take a String as an argument. If the String contains Html tags the component will format these tags into its visual represenation. for example: HtmlEditor.text= "<html><body><b>hello</b></body></html> Is this possible? ...

aiuto x principiante
windows vista ultimate da update error (dt000) 80070103 grazie Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice US Postal Service Address Validation with ASP.NET / XMLHTTP http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e19b3d1b-098c-4a19-9ea8-2e10692aec5f/us-postal-service-address.aspx grazia razumovic wrote: > windows vista ultimate da update error (dt000) 80070103 > grazie > > > Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice > US Postal Service Address Validation with ASP.NET / XMLHTTP > http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...

outlook cannot display embedded picture
My company's outlook 2003 suddendly can not display the embedded picture correctly, it all show as red cross. even view it in the internet zone. anyone can help urgently ? thanks Steven Might try clearing Outlook 2003's secure temp folder. This folder is stored under the "Temporary Internet Files" folder tree, so it can't be browsed to by using Windows Explorer. I tend to use a command prompt to get to said folder and clear it out using the erase command. And here are the steps if the above doesn't make sense. (Assuming you are using Windows XP) 1) Sel...

Data display problem in CListView
For some reason the data does not show up in the display when I perfor GetListCtrl().InsertItem( i, cString[i][0] ) GetListCtrl().SetItemText(i, 1, cString[i][1] ) etc I checked and the data is there but it doesn't show up on th display. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I might have done wrong? ...

Can Outlook display phone Caller ID
Outlook is a pretty versatile program. I know for example, that it can be used as a phone dialer. Does anyone know if Outlook can be configured to display the Caller ID of an incoming call? If not, does anyone have a suggestion of a program that can? Seems like a pretty straight forward task. Thanks, Jim Jim Walsh <jwalsh_nospam@tuspm.nospam.temple.edu> wrote: > Outlook is a pretty versatile program. I know for example, that it > can be used as a phone dialer. Actually, it uses the WIndows dialer. > Does anyone know if Outlook can be configured to display the Caller ...

x Bar and R chart
Has anyone created an x-Bar and R chart in excel. Uncle bob: I entered XBar Chart Excel and found over 9,200 references. So there is a lot out there for you to look at. There are a number of commercial add-ins if you are undertaking a major Statistical process Control (SPC) program. On the other hand, there are dozens of free downloads if your are looking for "how to" information. I have put a simple control chart "how to" on my site that may help to get you started. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_control_chart.htm .... Kelly koday@processtrends.com &qu...

Money 2007 Display question
In Money 2004, I was able to configure the account display to show the bills on the date they were due to be processed. In 2007 it displays the scheduled bills on the date they're to be processed by the bank which is three or four days before when they'll be due. I can't figure out how to change the date displayed to the due date. Thanks, ...

Office v.X and new G5
I just moved Office v.X from my G4 to a new G5. When I try to open an Office document (Word or Excel) I always get the message, "This action will open Microsoft Word (Excel) for the first time. Do you want to do that?" This message ALWAYS appears even if I have opened that document several times before. Any ideas? This is a security message from Panther (just later versions, I think), telling you a new program is getting launched on your computer (in case it's a virus triggering something completely new). But you should get it only *once* for each program. You might see if ag...

How do I put a gap between 2 data sets on the x axis?
Rather than put an extra line in my table of data, which gives me a big gap on the x axis, is there a way of putting a narrow gap on the x axis between two data sets I have the last few sets displayed on the secondary y axis and want to differentiate between those and the ones plotted on the primary axis. Heids - If it's a line chart, ending one series and starting another give an obvious gap where there are no connecting lines. This is how the data would look: A B 1 3 2 4 3 5 4 25 5 30 6 35 But I expect you have a column chart, because the gap in the...

Display required succeeding cells value if a cell value A1 is capt
Hi All, I'm a baby to Excel Programming. But I've to programme Excel 2003 work book in order that if sth is typed in the text box control. The code searches all the worksheets and displays the value in the label control. I've a textbox control, label control and a command button control in Sheet 1 Now with the below mentioned codes I suceeded to retrieve a cell value in a lable control.eg:A1. But the problem is, I've no idea to display all the cells value(B1 to H1) of that row from where the cell in a row, a data was retrieved. Any Idea!! Please Hel...

A formula that displays the last letter in a text
I frequently use text in cells. I use MID and LEN often enough, but is there a formula that will display the last letter in a text that will often vary in length. Thanks. Michael =RIGHT(A1,1) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob <MichaelRLanier@gmail.com> wrote in message news:0983e9df-8991-43ff-ab3a-09ee5450fbd6@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I frequently use text in cells. I use MID and LEN often enough, but > is there a formula that will display the last letter in a text that > will often vary in length. Thanks. > > Michael Hi Michael =MID(A1,...

Display or hide control characters in Excel 2007
In Excel 2007, how can I display or hide control characters? I can't find that option. I want to be able to see control characters in my spreadsheets (i.e. carriage returns, etc.). Thanks Excel has very limited capabilities as a word processor. If you have linefeeds in a cell, disabling "wrap text" will show the linefeeds as small squares. Other than that...............I know nothing<g> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:25:01 -0800, schackbo <schackbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Excel 2007, how can I display or hid...

Autofilter Displays Sums
I use Excel 2000 to display data extracted from DB2 via SAS. Worksheets use the Autofilter feature on all 45 columns and about 20 of the columns are summed at the bottom. There are also 4 hidden rows below the 'main' data, which is used in the QA process. How the data is updated (replaced) once every three months: Data is extracted from DB2 and a delimited text file is generated - the # of rows is noted. The target Excel file is opened and rows are counted. If the row counts are the same, the rows in the target file are selected and the 'Del' key is pressed - this retains a...

Page can not be displayed OWA
Hello, I just installed a Front end Exchange 2003 box. I also have two Exchange 2003 back end boxes. I followed the instructions to create my own certificate authority and install the certificate on the front end server. I also enabled forms based authentication requiring SSL. The port 443 is open on the firewall to the front end exchange and well as 80. When I type the address from outside the building (using https or http) a log on screen comes up. I log on with my credentials using domain\username. On the bottom left of the web browser I see it points to the correct back end server ...

Erroneous "New Email" display in system tray.
I am using Outlook Express version 6. The problem I'm havnig is when I open the program, it will always tell me I have multiple new emails when there are actually none. Anyone know what causes this? Is there an update or patch I need to install? Thanks. Ask in an Outlook Express group - this group support Outlook from Microsoft Office. Outlook Express belongs to Internet Explorer. You can also check http://www.tomsterdam.com for assistance with Outlook Express questions. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (i...

Change the space used for my x-axis labels
Can anybody help me? I have an column chart with words as labels. My problem is that I can't change the space used for the labels, that is some labels is in two or three lines and I would like to use more room for the labels and less room for the chart itself. But when I make the chart smaller then the labels just are dragged upwards - how do I prevent that?? ...