derivative plot

How do i create a derivative plot?
I'm supposed to take reaction rates (slopes) from my graphs and enter in new
columns in the spreadsheet...i'm confused
thanks

You need to calculate the slopes somehow, or were you just going to eyeball
the? I've sometimes used a moving regression on the data. Say my X (or time)
and Y data were in A1:B100 and I wanted a 5-point moving average. I would
enter this formula in C3, and fill it down to C98:

=SLOPE(B3:B7,A3:A7)

The derivative plot would use columns A and C.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"nickelndime" <nickelndime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do i create a derivative plot?
> I'm supposed to take reaction rates (slopes) from my graphs and enter in
> new
> columns in the spreadsheet...i'm confused
> thanks

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
1/31/2007 2:24:46 PM
Sounds like Chemistry!
How about using LINEST to get a polynomial fit (see
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm)
Do a manual differentiation of this equation and use it to find the slope at
any point
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"nickelndime" <nickelndime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do i create a derivative plot?
> I'm supposed to take reaction rates (slopes) from my graphs and enter in
> new
> columns in the spreadsheet...i'm confused
> thanks

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Plotting X axis as the log in a semilog plot
I can plot a semilog plot that uses the y axis as the log scale. How do I set the x axis as the log scale instead? Terry - > I can plot a semilog plot that uses the y axis as the log scale. How do I set the x axis as the log scale instead? < Use an XY (Scatter) chart type. - Mike Middleton www.mikemiddleton.com ...

trendline in scatter plot
how can i add trendline or best fit line on a scatter plot which has multiple set of data. for example, i had 3 set of data for 3 different depth (0cm,15cm and 30cm) and i plot all three in a scatter plot. is it posible if i want only a line for describe all three depth despite of having a line for each color (3 line for 3 depth). or if i made all 3 depth together in one set of data and get a trendline from that scatter, how i can differentiate which point is 0cm, 15cm and 30cm? -- shafierin Please give us a short example of your datasets best wishes -- Bernard Liengme...

Plotting an Orbiting Satellite
I want to plot a series of X-Y points on a scatter chart that represent the position of a satellite at a specific time. X-axis is Right Ascension (RA) and ranges from 0:00:00 to 23:59:59. Y-axis is Declination (Dec) and is -90 to +90. X crosses Y at 0. I have no problem plotting the points, but I want to add the local time at which each point occurs as a secondary X-axis and can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone help? Thanks. Mike Hogan In article <mJmdnRjSpNW8hpbeRVn-2A@comcast.com>, mhogansr@comcast.net says... > I want to plot a series of X-Y points on a scatter chart &...

Plot bitmap lines
I'm looking for help in displaying line data (1280x1 grayscale) in either a bitmap or plot. Basically I'm receiving lots of 1280x1 lines in real time and I need to display this data along the Y axis. The X axis then become time. There is potential 1GB of data (800k lines) but I certainly don't want to keep that much in memory. The real time data will then be saved to file to be displayed in the same fashion later. Of course then we will know the number of lines ahead of time. Any help in displaying either the real time data or file data would be appreciated. I know I can easi...

Plot hex values
Can I plot hex values directly? Not hex converted to decimal but hex values themselves? No. Hex values are text strings. -- David Biddulph "Andrew Mills" <Andrew Mills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C621A27-885B-415E-A8A6-AA60782F568C@microsoft.com... > Can I plot hex values directly? Not hex converted to decimal but hex > values > themselves? ...

Plotting 1 curve from 2 separate x-axis data
I have stock portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily. After portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December. Plots easily. These data are on 2 separate worksheets. Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year. The first 6 months is easy. How can I plot a continuous curve for the whole year without having to insert the first 6 months worth on the last 6 months worksheet? Not sure I explained this very well, but --- Dave The easiest way is to have both sets of data on one (a new?) worksheet. Then you can plot as with one or two series. Copy a...

Plot rate of return
I am interested in building a spreadsheet that will allow me to put in my investment account values at periodic dates over the past five years. I would like to compare rates of return (between two different investments) based on the actual amounts included in my periodic statements. Any help will be appreciated. TIA, Tom Don't know how that double posting occured. Sorry. Tom "Tom Brown" <Burner2NOSPAM@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message news:eyBz%23jEyFHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I am interested in building a spreadsheet that will allow me to put in my &...

timeline chart within a scatter plot
I have an excel scatter plot that displays some point information when the mouse cursor hovers over the data point. The information displayed are beginning and end time for different events that occured for that particular data point. What I would like to do now is be able to chart a timeline chart that will display the different time event when I click on a datapoint. Has anyone done anything similar to this? A chart that can generate another chart in excel? Thanks, You can use the click event to trigger a VBA procedure that creates the second chart. Here's an article about chart ...

anyone know how to plot Ternary Charts in Excel ?
Is it possible to plot Ternary (x vs y vs z) in Excel, like in Deltagraph ? Hi, Here are some links, from previous posts, on ternary plots. http://www.sfu.ca/~marshall/ternplot.htm http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/mineralogie/links/drawing/ternary.html http://www.geologynet.com/programs/ternplot.xls http://www.prodomosua.it/zips/triangolare.xls http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/phys-geog/tri-plot/ http://www.agri.upm.edu.my/~chris/tal/talxl.html ftp://www-sst.unil.ch/ftp/jfurrer/Trix_fr.zip http://www-sst.unil.ch/perso_pages/jfurrer/Applications/Trixcel/Trixcel.htm Cheers Andy Nigel Goodwin wrot...

Help needed for sorting the data and plotting graph
Hi All, I am a newbie to the excel world. I have requirement of analysing some data that I will obtain from symbian profiler. I will be having a .txt file with values seperated with tabs so that it can be directly open in excel. In that I have around 25 colums, first being sample interval and rest are having data. My requirement is to plot a graph against the sample interval with data from 2 colums. I can specify the column name for plotting purpose. Once I plot the graph I should be able to calculate the average value of one series for those interval in which the other plotted series is cross...

how to add a second x axis with same Y axis value in one plot
I'm plotting a figure with Y axis (Amount of products) vs. X axis (time as seconds). At the same figure, i'd like to add a second X axis, which shows the time as hours. This axis can be on the top of the figure, or below the exising X axis. Anyone has the idea how to add this axis? I researched the help center, it seems we can only add a second Y axis, is this true? Hi, No, once you have data on the secondary Y axis you can then display the secondary x axis. See here for explanation. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip008.htm Cheers Andy Mike wrote: > I'm plotting a figur...

Can Excel generate a 3-D scatter plot?
I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? Hi Andy Pope has 'tricked' one: http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm But you probably go for MathCad :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "zzzfizz" <zzzfizz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BA2BEAB6-63E1-46E7-816F-B282C590C3D9@microsoft.com... > I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go > buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? ...

..problems with drawing scater plot after coping
hi, I am doing homework for Econ class and we have to use banch of data from UN web site. So i download the exel tables from their website adn then copied the neccesary coloms from one excel to another and now i am tring to draw a scatter plot, but it will not let or another words draw something wierd. when i type the same values next to the columns and try to draw a scatter plot, it works. I also notice that i can not change the format on those copied rows of data. Can any one can give a hint? Thanks Margots Margots, It's possible that you have text, not numbers, from the web table. Tr...

xy scatter plot and split function clarification
I have data like this in a file. i need to draw a simple XY scatter plot, 221 -255 196 -255 191 -255 181 -255 168 -255 159 -255 151 -255 150 -255 105 -255 I opening this file and try to use split function Do Until EOF(TestFileNumber) Line Input #TestFileNumber, TempStr If TempStr = "" Then 'Do nothing Else ReDim Preserve Str2(Count) Str2 = Split((TempStr), " ") Count = Count + 1 End If but Str2 array indexes are always 0 and 1 though count increments and how do i draw the xyscatter chart whi...

Problem adding button to dialog derived from CPrintDialog
I have created a dialog based on CPrintDialog and I want to add a third button, but everytime I do it does not show up when the form is displayed and if I add a variable, I get exception errors and the program crashes. I have encluded the header file below, the .cpp file is a normal dialog file though I overrode the OnInitDialog and hide some of the controls. Everything works fine until I try to add a control and I am not sure exactly what I need to do to make my added control visible. Z.K. #pragma once #include "afxwin.h" // CMyDialog dialog class CMyDialog : publ...

Pictures (bitmaps) as Point Markers in XY Scatter Plot?
Hi, I've figured out how to load custom bitmaps into Shape objects and use them as Marker Points on my scatter plot, but I'm not sure I'm doing it in the best/correct way, especially for "portability" of my workbook. By "portabiliy", I mean, I want to send the Workbook to someone but don't want to have to send all the bitmap files along with it. Is there a way to make these shapes "part of" the workbook so that they're always available? Here's what I'm currently using to load the various bitmaps: dim myShape as Shape ...

Plotting 3 dimensional co-ordinates
I have a series of data in x, y, z co-ordinates and want to know if it is possible to plot these in excel, as I can only seem to find thet it plots in the x and y axis. Thanks The best that XL offers is a 3D surface plot in which the x and y axis are 'category' axis and only the z axis is a numeric one. If your x and y values are equi-distant, check the Excel/Charts/3D Surface page of my web site for more on the subject. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <d97001c4...

How to have multi plots in one chart or graph?
Hi, I want to plot three different data series in one chart or graph. However, I would like to view each one of them in different plot area in the same chart or graph. Would anyone know how to do it or have any suggestion. Thanks. -- Fred Something like this? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StackedCharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18FA5E15-ED1B-41CD-9D5C-DE37988B2073@microsoft.com... >...

controlling plot area
Excel 2003 I have several charts on a dedicated chart sheet, each with the same number of bars of graphed data. I want to adjust the plot area to a particular size within the chart area for each chart. I have used the "Selection.Height" and the other associated "selections" with some success, but the plot areas still seem to reset themselves a bit. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated and my thanks in advance. Brad The plot areas resize based on the font size, the length of the labels, the wind speed and direction, and various other uncontrollabl...

Plot order
I have research data entered by age groups. When the bar chart is created the youngest is at the top. We want the oldest group at the top. Is there any way of changing the plotting order without changing the spreadsheet data? Hi, Select the axis press Ctrl+1 to display the format dialog. On the Scale tab change the following properties; Enable: Categories in reverse order Enable: Value(Y) axis crosses at maximum Cheers Andy anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I have research data entered by age groups. When the bar > chart is created the youngest is at the top. We want...

Scatter plot with median and interquartile lines
I'm trying to plot house prices and house types on a scatter plot in Excel. To aid analysis by the reader I want to include median and interquartile lines for each category like 'this example' (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/ninja-lewis/chart.gif). I can plot plain scatter plots no problem in Excel 2003 but I don't know where to begin for adding these extra features. Can anyone help me? ninja-lewis -- ninja-lewis ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ninja-lewis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&a...

Plotting negative [h]:mm:ss on a PivotChart
Hi, I am using excel 2003 and have hit a problem. I want to display negative [h]:mm:ss on a pivot chart , but when i try the chart displays the bars but no values in the datatable or on the axis. The pivottable it is based on does display the -[h]:mm:ss correclty. I have set my calcluation tab to use the "1904 Date System", as this then allows the use of negative times. If I plot a normal excel graph onto the pivottable it displays the negative time correctly. However, i really need the filtering power of the pivotcharts, so this is not really an option. Has anyone any ...

Plotting data from a pivot table
Hi I'm plotting data from a pivot table in a bar chart. The x axis is grouped is by months with years, and the y axis is a simple count. The problem is for some months there is no data, and the pivot leaves that month out. Not good, especially if one is looking graphically at a trend analysis. It looks like the data is continuous month after month when its not (since somemonths are missing), and many years have fewer months than others. Any idea on how to get the empty months into the pivot? The only way I can think of is to create dummy data in the data set. Thanks Jerry In the PivotTa...

Date plotting problem, please help
Hi, I want to plot a date on the x axis and some data on the y axis. But when I plot it, I got an error message:"the maximum number of data points you can use in 2-D.....if u want more than 32,000 datapoint ... create two or more series". If i click "OK" then my X axis is the dd/mm/1900 which any relate with my data at all. My data is not more than 200 for sure. I tried to plot with line and xy scattering, i got the same result. Is it possible that my version of excel isn't the same of my computer? I have excel XP thai version (but i use english as defa...

Urgent: Switching between views derived from CFormView
Hi, I have a SDI application and have 2 views derived from CFormView. I am able to swap the views. But everytime I swap the view, it creates new view so I am not able to view my old data. On one view, I have Browser control, and on another I have few List Boxex. But, when I switch from List view o browser view, and back to List view, I loose all my selection. Can someone help me in resolving this issue? Help in regards of any samples is really is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Musa When you create the new view, are you passing it the same instance of the document as the old one? If not t...