Defining X-axis scales as dates or times

I often plot measured data as a scatter plot with the value on the Y-axis,
and a time or date on the X-axis.
The wizard will pick default values for the X-axis that usually need to be
altered.
Since moving to Excel 2007 I have been unable to specify the X-axis min and
max values as dates or times.  With '2003 I used to be able to specify, say,
a minimum of 08/09/2008 09:00 and a maximum of 08/09/2008 09:10.  Now I would
have to use numeric values of 39699.375 and 39699.3819444.
Does anyone know a way of doing this?
Thanks
0
SJAndre (2)

Hi,

That convenient auto conversion does not occur in 2007.
You will need to use a cell in each to enter the date and the format as
number in order to see the real date value.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"SJAndre" <SJAndre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I often plot measured data as a scatter plot with the value on the Y-axis,
> and a time or date on the X-axis.
> The wizard will pick default values for the X-axis that usually need to be
> altered.
> Since moving to Excel 2007 I have been unable to specify the X-axis min
> and
> max values as dates or times.  With '2003 I used to be able to specify,
> say,
> a minimum of 08/09/2008 09:00 and a maximum of 08/09/2008 09:10.  Now I
> would
> have to use numeric values of 39699.375 and 39699.3819444.
> Does anyone know a way of doing this?
> Thanks

0
andy9699 (3616)
9/12/2008 11:55:26 AM
Thanks for this, Andy.  Not the answer I'd hoped for, but the one I expected!
Perhaps a suggestion for a future update?

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That convenient auto conversion does not occur in 2007.
> You will need to use a cell in each to enter the date and the format as
> number in order to see the real date value.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "SJAndre" <SJAndre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I often plot measured data as a scatter plot with the value on the Y-axis,
> > and a time or date on the X-axis.
> > The wizard will pick default values for the X-axis that usually need to be
> > altered.
> > Since moving to Excel 2007 I have been unable to specify the X-axis min
> > and
> > max values as dates or times.  With '2003 I used to be able to specify,
> > say,
> > a minimum of 08/09/2008 09:00 and a maximum of 08/09/2008 09:10.  Now I
> > would
> > have to use numeric values of 39699.375 and 39699.3819444.
> > Does anyone know a way of doing this?
> > Thanks

0
SJAndre (2)
9/12/2008 1:28:01 PM
It's been suggested. I hope it's on the short list of improvements.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

> Thanks for this, Andy.  Not the answer I'd hoped for, but the one I
> expected!
> Perhaps a suggestion for a future update?
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> That convenient auto conversion does not occur in 2007.
>> You will need to use a cell in each to enter the date and the format as
>> number in order to see the real date value.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>

>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "SJAndre" <SJAndre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I often plot measured data as a scatter plot with the value on the
>> >Y-axis,
>> > and a time or date on the X-axis.
>> > The wizard will pick default values for the X-axis that usually need to
>> > be
>> > altered.
>> > Since moving to Excel 2007 I have been unable to specify the X-axis min
>> > and
>> > max values as dates or times.  With '2003 I used to be able to specify,
>> > say,
>> > a minimum of 08/09/2008 09:00 and a maximum of 08/09/2008 09:10.  Now I
>> > would
>> > have to use numeric values of 39699.375 and 39699.3819444.
>> > Does anyone know a way of doing this?
>> > Thanks

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Formulas to (a) pull month, year and (b) sum within date range?
I have a list of dates in column A, and numbers down cols B-E. Off to the right, I need a table that lists the month/year and the totals for each of the columns. It needs to be a separate table, rather than a pivot table, so it can be copied-and-pasted by others. What I _think_ I need is: -- a formula in H2:H10 (maybe more) that will look down the full range of dates (call it A2:A100) and put one month/year per row >> H2 = 02/09 H3 = 03/09 H4 = 04/09 etc. -- a formula in I2 that will sum all entries in B2:B100 with the month and year of H2 I think I could get the secon...

Calculating Time 05-21-10
Hi I'm setting up a timesheet but when I enter the format to + or - if the 'time' is negative the figures are not showing - is there a way around this? Thanks guys Only by turning on the 1904 date system, which I wouldn't suggest :) -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Fie M-C" <FieMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8071D879-166B-4F82-B949-76066EBA17EE@microsoft.com... > Hi > I'm setting up a timesheet but when I enter the format to + or - if the > 'time' is negative the figures are not showi...

More Date problems
I have a macro that deletes returned records older than 7 days. It first sorts the data into returned date order then checks to see if the first cell is empty (no records returned) and if so, re-sorts the data into the original order (a different date) and quits. If the first cell contains a date less than 7 days old ie date >today()-7, again it re-sorts and quits, otherwise it deletes the data older than 7 days, re-sorts the remaining data and quits. At least that what is supposed to happen The line to check the age of the date in the macro below doesn't work. G6 contains a control ...

Okay, it's time to call in the troops
I've nearly split my head open trying to figure out this issue, so I've decided to call upon the experts for some assistance with what could be a simple database structure problem, or Access quirk I'm not familiar with. I've created a database which holds respondent answers to a survey aimed at university donor satisfaction. The first piece I'm trying to extract data from and report on surrounds the type of gifts a donor has participated in (annuities, trusts, etc.). I have drawn CRAT, CRUT, CGA, CLAT, PIF as the gift types from my master table, and created a query for...

Shortcut Ctrl-X not working on multiple cells
In Excel 97, on some spreadsheets I can't use Ctrl-X to cut multiple cells at once. Other ways to cut work, but Ctrl-X is my preferred method. On other spreadsheets this does work. Has anyone ever seen this before? What happens when you try? Nothing? Error message? Cuts wrong area? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 21 Sep 2006 09:57:16 -0700, "CDM" <mctigrit@yahoo.com> wrote: >In Excel 97, on some spreadsheets I can't use Ctrl-X to cut multiple >cells at once. Other ways to cut work, but Ctrl-X is my preferred >method. On other spreadsheets this does w...

How do I create an alert of expiration date in Excel?
I created a spreadsheet to track documents. The last column is for expiration dates of documents. How can I set up an alert when the expiration date is approaching? Use conditional formatting in the cell. For example, with the date in A12, something like Formula is =TODAY()+7>=$A$12 as the condition. Then choose a pattern. "kachnycz" wrote: > I created a spreadsheet to track documents. The last column is for > expiration dates of documents. How can I set up an alert when the expiration > date is approaching? ...

How to set default zoom scale for IE8?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set default zoom scale for IE8? I am using XP with SP3, the default zoom scale is 100%, and I would like to change it into 135% as default. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Click the "Change zoom level" arrow at the bottom right corner in IE8, click "Custom" and set it to 135%. Click Tools, Internet Options, Advanced. Uncheck "Reset zoom level for new windows and tabs". Click OK. -- Regards, Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop ...

How do I change the default reminder time on custom follow up dat.
I want to change the default reminder time when I select "Custom" as my follow up flag. Right now it defaults to 4pm. I know where the reminder time setting is in Tools/Options, but that's not changing the reminder time for Custom follow up flags. Change the Quick Click Flag to anything except Today and it will default to the start of your work day. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2010/20100405.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tip...

User Defined Function vs. Named formula
I have used Named Formulas and am now learning about User Defined Functions. One thing I found with named formulas is that the naming conventions around global/local selections. Reading about UDFs makes me think they might be a better option for a lot of my work. Any insight as to When to use one over the other will be appreciated. Thanks Robert IMO they are different beasts. A named formula would be used to shorten formulae by including a name rather than the sub-formula (especially where it is repeated), and to improve readability/maintainability, as the name would/should be meanin...

how to automate min and max on axis based on calculation
While automating some chart making with code, I am trying to automate the span of time reflected on the x-axis. Auto doesn't work because I need the beginning to be based on an October of a given year. Similarly I have requirements for the max. The appropriate min and max are calculated elsewhere, but I am not sure how to code it to accept the value from a cell. Any help would be much appreciated. TIA This has to be done programmatically. For a ready-made solution see AutoChart Manager http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www...

Difference between % Gain and Total Return for All Dates?
Hi- Could someone tell me what the difference is between % Gain and Total Return for all dates? Which tends to be a more accurate picture of my portfolio performance? Thanks- -Dan ...

How do I change the date format?
If anyone could help, I would be appreciative... I have 800 rows of data where the date is currently formatted: 1. YYYYMMDD How do I change this to MM/DD/YYYY? 2. Telephone number is currently formatted as 7607236300. How do I change this to 760-723-6300? Thank you for helping me. #1. Select the column with the dates Data|text to columns (xl2003 menus) Choose Fixed widths, but don't include any separator lines. Choose Date (ymd order) and finish up. Change the number format (format|cells|number tab) to the format you want (mm/dd/yyyy). #2. Select the range t...

stopping the date from changing in Excel (and Google Spreadsheets)
Wehn I enter "October 10, 2006" into my excel spreadsheet, it always changes it to "10-10" or something like that. Where can I set my excel spreadsheet to display the full date? Also, does anyone have any experience with Google spreadsheets? Any good? Go to Format, Cells, Number, Date and pick the date format that works for you. Carole o "Flicker686" wrote: > Wehn I enter "October 10, 2006" into my excel spreadsheet, it always changes > it to "10-10" or something like that. Where can I set my excel spreadsheet to > display the...

complete a line in the middle of a graph to meet both X and Y axes
I have created a line chart with limited data and now want to execute that line in order that they intersect both x and y axes, on the same path.. How can i perform this in Microsoft Excel ...

Defining a cell to name file
Is it possible to define a cell in which would become the name of the excel file. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "TimlmiT" <TimlmiT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52A5823E-2DC5-4AED-BCB1-297A977AE2AD@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to define a cell in which would become the name of the excel > file. ...

Average time...
I've got the cells formatted with "Custom" and m:ss. I'm using the formula: =AVERAGE(F10:F15) and it gives #DIV/0 Is there any way to keep the times in minutes:seconds format and still get the average? F10:F15 probably does not house true time values. You can check whethe this is so with... =ISNUMBER(F10) Kevin Wrote: > I've got the cells formatted with "Custom" and m:ss. > I'm using the formula: > =AVERAGE(F10:F15) > and it gives #DIV/0 > > Is there any way to keep the times in minutes:seconds format and still > get the average -...

Creating a time line
I am interested in creating a timeline of events. Is there a way to do this using Office 2000 software? look at micrrosoft project instead "melanie" <couchm02@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:003201c3d542$d97d4810$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I am interested in creating a timeline of events. Is there > a way to do this using Office 2000 software? ...

XY Scatter Chart Not Showing X Axis
I'm trying to create a quadrant analysis. I have the four quadrants as stacked columns and the real data as a XY Scatter. The x axis for the XY Scatter is not showing. The real data series are marked as the secondary axis. Does anyone know how to make the X axis appear? Usually Excel gives you both secondary axes when you add an XY series to a column chart. Go to Chart menu > Options > Axes, and check the box for the secondary X axis. If you're using Excel 2007, it's found on the middle of the three charting tabs, under Axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft ...

Several files opening at the same time
I have a shortcut on my Quick Launch bar to a file called Index.xls wherein other hyperlinks take me to a zillion other places as a means of organisation of my computer data. For a couple of months I've been finding that whenever I click Index.xls another file called PERSONAL.XLS opens as well (or in fact momentarily before). I don't know why this is happening. As far as I know I did not change anything that might cause this phenomenon. I located PERSONAL.XLS and changed the filename to PERSONAL.XL1 to see if that might prevent it from opening, but now I have PERSONAL.XL1, PERSONA...

Date Modified sort issue.
Good afternoon. The issue is that when I sort (right-click --> arrange icons by --> Modified or click on the Date Modified header), it sorts by Date Modified, but categorizes by the Name (Folders, Shortcuts, Files. etc.). I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to sort an entire folder (either ascending or decending) by Date Modified. Thank you, WHEELS -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > Good afternoon. > > The issue is that when I sort (right-click --> arrange icons by --> Modified > or click on the Date Modified header), it sorts by Da...

Count if using multiple date criteria
Hello: I am working on a spreadsheet that records inventory. I need to create a formula that counts if any items were completed late by a person . The information regarding the person is recorded in one of two columns (M and N). The date completed is recorded in column O. The due date is column G. I also need to record this for each month received. The received date is column A. So for example, I need to know how many items received in November 2009 and assigned to J. Smith were completed after the due date. Thanks for any help you can give! Something like this: ...

Date format for any LCID
It's not possible to retrieve a friendly named date description including the weekday name from the OS, is it? I am looking for a function that would return for example Monday, 05.01.2010 (in English->LCID 1033) and Montag, 01.05.2010 (in German->LCID 1031) I would like localize my invoices, and I don't want to rely on my own mechanisms. Boris P. wrote: > It's not possible to retrieve a friendly named date description > including the weekday name from the OS, is it? > > I am looking for a function that would return for example > > M...

Date time problem
hi all, I have a date and one cell and a time in 24 other cells at 1 hour increments. how do i combine the date cell with the time cells example in a1 =9/26/05 in b1 = 08:00 results in c1 would = 9/26/05 8:00 AM Thanks FJS =A1+B1 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "FSt1" <FSt1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A1E48A8-14B8-46EB-93F2-F342AE41DC65@microsoft.com... > hi all, > I have a date and one cell and a time in 24 other cells at 1 hour > increments. > how do i combine the date cell with the time cells > example > in a...

Extracting times
I have a spreadsheet which has time ranges entered in the format "13:00 - 17:00" in a single cell. I wish to have these times automatically transferred to separate cells in another worksheet, eg "13:00" and "17:00" Use Data->Text to Columns ... delimited by - to split into two columns.... Then either paste or link to the other worksheet. ------------------------------------- Pl. click ''''Yes'''' if this was helpful... "Malters" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet which has time ranges entered in the format "...

New Date on each new page
I would like to print a page for each day for the upcoming year. 365 pages. I want to print all of them now. On each page I need the date for that day. What should I use for this? Pivot tables?? Thanks! Jim Hi Jim Enter the first day in A1 before you run the macro If it is working correct change PrintPreview to PrintOut This example will not print the sunday's Untested Sub PrintCopies_ActiveSheet() Dim yr As Integer yr = Year(Range("a1").Value) Do While Year(Range("a1").Value) = yr If Application.WorksheetFunction. _ Weekday(Ran...