Dates in Charts

I have a chart that I have created based on data that lists dates and
amounts.  The dates are not consecutive however when I create the chart it
shows all dates

March 1, March 2, March 3

Even though I did not enter March 2 at all.  How do I stop it from doing that?
0
Erika (21)

you cant. just like if you had numeric data 0, 3, 9, 15 and plotted it.
the numbers in between are still shown on the axis.

AGP

"Erika" <Erika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a chart that I have created based on data that lists dates and
> amounts.  The dates are not consecutive however when I create the chart it
> shows all dates
>
> March 1, March 2, March 3
>
> Even though I did not enter March 2 at all.  How do I stop it from doing
> that?

Change the axis type from Automatic or Time Scale (Date Scale in 2007) to
Category (Text in 2007). Pre 2007, right click the chart, choose Chart
Options, and on the Axes tab, change the selection. In 2007, select the
axis, press Ctrl+1 (numeral one) to format it, and in the dialog's first
tab, change the axis type.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/>
Advanced Excel Conference - Training in Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
_______

"Erika" <Erika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a chart that I have created based on data that lists dates and
> amounts.  The dates are not consecutive however when I create the chart it
> shows all dates
>
> March 1, March 2, March 3
>
> Even though I did not enter March 2 at all.  How do I stop it from doing
> that?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Attaching Chart to Email?
I have an Excel spreadsheet, and derived from it 5 charts. How can I attach one of the charts to an email to send to someone? (I know how to attach the whole spreadsheet, and the associated charts, but I don't want to send the spreadsheet and the other 4 charts, because they contain data not appropriate to share with the email recipient.) Thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Hi CWLee Try this example http://www.rondebruin.nl/mai...

Copy Charts
I know this is simple, but I cannot remember how. I want to copy a chart into another worksheet, but do not want to keep the links, just the picture and data as it is. Select the chart, hold Shift while clicking on the Edit menu, choose Copy Picture, and use the On Screen and Picture options. Go to the place you want the chart image to appear, and use plain old Paste (Ctrl+V). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "archsmooth" <archsmooth@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Converting a string date field/node in an XML document to Date type in a dataset
I am having problems with Date Strings when using VS.net method of converting an XML document to a dataset. I need the the date nodes to be of date type. As I am loading the Dataset to a datagrid, and I using the sort facility to sort by date. Currently the dates are being treated as strings. ree32@hotmail.com (ree32) wrote in message news:<7606ccc8.0409192108.3cbebe24@posting.google.com>... > I am having problems with Date Strings when using VS.net method of > converting an XML document to a dataset. > > I need the the date nodes to be of date type. As I am loading the ...

bar chart prints 1 unwanted horizontal row of dots & tick marks?
Office Excel 2007. Anyone encounter this? The sheet I'm printing is 19 columns wide by 69 rows high with portrait orientation. Bar chart is set between row 25 and 47 horizontally. The x-axis is increasing months. 2 vertical bars are set between the major gridlines. It so happens that the chart vertical gridlines are very close to lining up with the spreadsheet cells above/below the chart. Print preview shows nothing unusual, but when printed, 1 row right throught the middle of the chart has 1 to 2 dots and a character high tick mark appear to the right of each right most(second) bar...

Stacked Bar Chart Over 100%
Currently have a stacked bar chart showing to 100% (the plan) by 8 clients, how can I show that 3 of the 8 will be over 100% (greater than plan)? Brian, If this is a normalized chart (the one on the right in the chart types), it will always be 100%. You'll have to use the middle one. Are these percentages (as they appear in the worksheet)? If so, use the regular stacked chart (the middle one), and the axis should adjust to accomodate whatever your greatest percentage is. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "Brian" <Bri...

date format #18
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet containing lots of pivot tables. The source data contains date formulas in the following ways: =IF(FR5="","",TEXT(FR5,"yyyy-mm")) this returns dates like----- 2007-11 =IF(GM5="","",TEXT(GM5,"mmm-yy")) this returns dates like------- Nov-07 As a result, when I try to sort my pivot table data by date, the dates that are shown as Nov-07 are recognised as text therefore only allowing me to sort by alphabetical order. The dates that are like 2007-11, i am able to sort it by the earliest/latest dates. I...

Question on Sorting by (date, etc)
I have a column (A) which sre dates. If I select the column heading and click either the sort ascending or desending button, the date column alone sorts independent of the other eight columns that comprise the entire entry. How would I go about being able to sort by a particular column and have everything sort with it? I have other columns that I would like to sort by sometimes too, like "color", "type", etc. Thanks for reading! select all the columns and now go to data | sort . On Feb 20, 11:21=A0pm, "Ed" <2...@333.com> wrote: > I have a column...

Save chart (that's on a chart sheet) to html file?
In Excel 2007, is it no longer possible to publish a chart that is on object in a worksheet to an html file? In Excel 2003, you had the option to choose a chart as the item to publish. That no longer seems to be available. ...

Aligning tick marks and labels on line charts or scatter charts
I have the following data: X Y 1 0.2 2 0.8 3 0.5 4 0.7 I would like to plot it using a line chart or a scatter chart with X on the horizontal axis and Y on the vertical. I would like the X range of the graph to go from 0.5 to 4.5, so that the first and last point are NOT on the extreme edges of the graph. I would like the X axis to be labelled only at 1, 2, 3 and 4. I would like a tick mark aligned with each of these labels. Is this possible in Excel? Here is what I am finding... Using a Line chart: Option 1. The range is correct (0.5 to 4.5), and the labels are correct, but the tick marks ...

Charting data by date
Hi, I'm new to Excell 2002, and have made worksheets with data refreshed from the Web. However I can't get it to show up on a chart with dates on the X axis. Have the axis formatted OK, but how does it collect its data? Have tried a simple worksheet with manually entered data & the dates entered in column A, but still can't get a chart to work. ...June. Jon Peltier has a charting tutorial that may help you get started: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html When you manually enter data and dates, what problems do you have with the chart? June wrote: >...

VB Chart > Excel
I have a vb program that pulls data from a database and displays it onscreen. This includes a chart - is there a quick way of bascially copying this chart into an excel spreadsheet via code from my program? I have already got my listboxes and so on to fill in their info onto a new blank sheet, but the chart is also going to be handy. I assume one way is to copy all the data from the chart to a hidden sheet and use that maybe, but I am hoping I can do something simpler... Ta, James. James - Make a template that has some dummy data and the chart you like, already formatted. Create a new fil...

regarding allocation of chart series point colors
Greetings and thanks for your time I have labels A,B,C,D and data series of values a%, b%, c%, d%. This series is sorted into ascending order of values and feeds a bar chart (ie a Pareto chart). I would like to display this data also on a Pie chart, but would like to keep the same series point color for A,B etc. regardless of how the updated values change the rank order (say, C,B,A,D). Presently, if say, point A is dark blue at the start of the order and then after updating the % scores point A moves down to 3rd in the order, point A will take on another color. Any advice will be appreci...

ow to create comparison chart using text as value data?
lplease help me. I am trying to set up a comparison chart of 3 computers cost and features! I cannot figure out how to use the features as values on the x or y axis says data range is to complex so cant select rows or columns. I am trying to enter the features as my source data too bungled dont know what to do term project is now overdue and I am stressing out!~ Dont want to fail. please help me!do i have to redo the whole chart or what any suggestions and demonstration would be deeply appreciated. thanks, Dee Johnson The first thing you need to do is think how the chart should look. Wh...

how to replace the date
hi kabel, i have put the date 03/03/2004 in a worksheet in various cells, i woul like to replace that date with 03/04/2004. pls help me -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following - goto 'Edit -Replace' - enter your existing date and your new date P.S.: please stay in the original thread P.P.S. My first name is Frank :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > hi kabel, > i have put the date 03/03/2004 in a worksheet in various cells, i > would like to replace that date with 03/04/2004. > pls help me. > > > --- > Message p...

Validate Purchase Order Date
We were able to enter a PO (against a Project) dated 2004, several years before we started on GP, so I'd guess that (because this is non-posting) the date isn't validated against the fiscal periods that have been set up. However, this lead to a Project Begin Date of 2004, and caused an error when we tried to enter a fixed fee amount against the project "Fiscal information does not exist for the date range. The fiscal year must exist in order to create the periodic records". The only way I found to fix this was to go into SQL table PA01201 and fix the Project's b...

How do I sum dollars in one column based on dates in another?
How can I sum the total numbers contained in one column based on dates in another column? Example: I need the total of 5 units sold int the month of January 2006. I have the sale ammounts in one column and the closing dates in another. What forumla would I use for this? Thanks in advance for any help. =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(B2:B50)=1),--(YEAR(B2:B50)=2006),A2:A50) for January change 1 in the month part to a different month -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (remove ^^ from email address) Portland, Oregon "Alan" <Alan@discus...

using date function, month shows as January when i type (12)
when date of birth is A1 and i use the formula =date(year(A1)+19,month(12),day(31)), to get the last day of the year before the 20th birthday, 31/1/1919 appears instead of 31/12/1919. why is this? if i take the +19 away, the same thing happens. The only time it works is if i specify the year instead of using another cell. Does this formula do what you need? ="12/31/"&YEAR(A1)+19 The reason your original formula did not work is because the MONTH() and DAY() functions require serial date numbers (that is to say, an Excel date equivalent expressed as a number). =DATE(YEA...

Calculate difference between 2 date and times with average
I have used the formula: Start time End time 6/9/2007 10:35 AM 6/9/2007 3:30 PM 4:55 Formula Description (Result) =Text(b1-a1,"d:h:) But when I use the text function, I cannot calculate an average. Also, if you know a way to calculate the difference and exclude weekends... As for excluding weekends, investigate the NETWORKDAYS formula in Help. But if your workday is not 24 hours long, and you have holidays to contend with in addition to weekends, the problem is fairly complex. Here are the steps: 1. If StartDate and EndDate are on the same date, hours worked = number of hou...

Query Date Help W/Avg work days
please note that in order to get the date 6/28/1979 I am using average work days each month of 21.75 I have tried to Add just the total days to the date but it's not correct because I need it to be based off the 21.75 days per month not actually days. Total Years of Prior Service Days Hire Date Adjusted Hire Date 7 years 4 months 6 days 2685 6/15/1987 2/7/1980 (s/b 2/9/80) 1 year 8 months 13 days 620 2/10/2005 6/1/2003 (s/b 5/27/03) This is what is being calculated so far once I run the query. "aldunford" wrote: > This worked great thanks so much!! I have ...

hOW DO I CREATE A TWIN BAR CHART?

Workflow - date and time
hi I have a field called enrolment date which is usually lesser than the created on date. i want a workflow which says, when a new contact is created wait for 5 days after enrolment date and then create - 1st mailer task wait for 2 months and create - 2nd mailer task. i have got a workflow and it says when a new patient is created wait 5 days after contact.enrolmentdate if case 1 create mailer 1 end if if case 2 create mailer 2 end if however, both mailer tasks get create right away rather than waiting for 5 days and 2 months. in the wait for timer i ticked revaluate expressision whe...

automatically adjust charts
I am always charting 2 years of data. I have 2 spread sheets, one has multi charts and the other is all the data for the charts. I'm tracking about 6 different data points in a line chart. Each month the data sheet gets the previous months production data. I'd like to have it automatically adjust the charts. Drop the oldest month and add the newest month to the chart. That would save me the time of manually updating the charts. -- Baltimore Ravens Ravens Fan: You can make things a lot easier for yourself by creating a dynamic chart that plots the 24 months of data, or whateve...

Adding Dates
I have a field with arrival date then a field with days and another field with departure date. I enter a date in the arrival date field, then I put in how many days as a number in the days field and using a Macro command on exit I want the departure date to show automatically the arrival date plus the days. How do I do it ? On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:58:48 +0200, Ange Kappas wrote: > I have a field with arrival date then a field with days and another field > with departure date. I enter a date in the arrival date field, then I put in > how many days as a number in the days fiel...

Best Line chart to use?
I'm trying to create a chart that shows the run time (in minutes) o data backups at work. They start at various times from 00:00 to 23:59, with varying lengths. 3-D looks the best on paper, where it seems best to have the 24 hou clock across the x-axis with the run time as the Z-axis. I then need t somehow have each server running 'into' the graph for the run time This allows me to have a few 'stacked' on top of each other in cas multiple servers all start to backup at say, 03:00. Only I can't get it to work..lol Can you suggest a more relevant chart type, or if not...

I want to show chart data in order of bars, not row names
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to show a chart that has about 20 values, and I have sorted the source data so that I have the highest value items at the top and the lowest value items at the bottom. For example, if rows were Apple, Banana, Guava, Orange, and Yucca, I have sorted the data in order of the greatest value items (20 Guavas, 10 Oranges, 5 yucca, 2 bananas, and 1 apple). Yet the chart (a bar chart) only seems to let me display in either ascending or descending value by food name (either Apple to Yucca or Yucca to Apple...