Data Series Labels in Area Chart

Hello-

I'm trying to create a combination chart; one data series in an area chart,
and three in line format.  Got the chart created, but the data series labels
for the area chart show up in the middle of the area, which looks awkward.
Is there anyway to move them closer to the top edge of the area plot?  I
don't seem to find any options for moving the labels in an area chart.
0
Reb (11)

Hi,

The data labels for the area series have no options for alignment.

Add another line series to the chart based on the area data. This has
the options to align data labels. You can format the line series to have
no marker or line. And you can also delete the series from the legend.

Otherwise you could use Rob Bovey's chart labeler to re-position the
areas data labels.
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The data labels for the area series have no options for alignment.
>
> Add another line series to the chart based on the area data. This has
> the options to align data labels. You can format the line series to have
> no marker or line. And you can also delete the series from the legend.
>
> Otherwise you could use Rob Bovey's chart labeler to re-position the
> areas data labels.
> http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> Reb wrote:
> > Hello-
> >
> > I'm trying to create a combination chart; one data series in an area chart,
> > and three in line format.  Got the chart created, but the data series labels
> > for the area chart show up in the middle of the area, which looks awkward.
> > Is there anyway to move them closer to the top edge of the area plot?  I
> > don't seem to find any options for moving the labels in an area chart.
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
Reb (11)
9/1/2006 2:40:02 PM
You can also drag the label by hand. But you have to select an individual
label. The first click on a label selects the series of labels, even if
there's just one label. You need a second single click to select the label.
When it is surrounded by a gray border, you can drag it where you want with
the mouse.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Reb" <Reb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks.  Downloaded the chart labeler and it worked!
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The data labels for the area series have no options for alignment.
>>
>> Add another line series to the chart based on the area data. This has
>> the options to align data labels. You can format the line series to have
>> no marker or line. And you can also delete the series from the legend.
>>
>> Otherwise you could use Rob Bovey's chart labeler to re-position the
>> areas data labels.
>> http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> Reb wrote:
>> > Hello-
>> >
>> > I'm trying to create a combination chart; one data series in an area
>> > chart,
>> > and three in line format.  Got the chart created, but the data series
>> > labels
>> > for the area chart show up in the middle of the area, which looks
>> > awkward.
>> > Is there anyway to move them closer to the top edge of the area plot?
>> > don't seem to find any options for moving the labels in an area chart.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

error in importing data
Sorry the error is 0x8004032d ...

If you do not like scripting, you can try GAL Exporter or Fast User Manager & Reports from IMIBO - http://www.imibo.com > > "Ringholz, Blake" <bringholz@nospam.com> wrote in message > news:76AEFC2F-85A7-4666-8262-27FB0737D09A@microsoft.com... >> Hello All - >> >> I need to get an Excel Spreadsheet that lists everyone first name, last >> name, email address, job title, etc pulled from Active Directory. Is >> there an easy way to do this? >> >> Thanks, >> Blake > > > > > ...

Conditional charts
Is there a way to change the color of a chart bar based on the value of the cell that generates that particular bar? In other words, I have a chart with 15 vertical bars and I want to change the color of one or more of the bars if its value goes above 100% (but not all of the bars). JWeinberg Jon Peltier has instructions for conditional charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart Jeff wrote: > Is there a way to change the color of a chart bar based on the value of the > cell that generates that particular bar? In other words, I have a chart > wi...

excel charts #24
Is it possible to freeze a chart in excel and then add another chart with different column widths without having the changes affect the first chart? Hi, Move off the chart, press the Shift or Ctrl keys and select the chart. Then right-click it and choose Format Object On the Properties sheet select Don't move or size with cells -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Lorena" wrote: > Is it possible to freeze a chart in excel and then add another chart with > different column widths without having the changes affect the first chart? ...

Doing Analysis from large amounts of DATA
Hi all, I have an attachment that's apart of this message & within it I have 3 tabs 1) Revenue 2) Expenses & 3) Net Position. I would like to do some Analysis on the above three thou a way where I can manipulate the Data. How would I go about doing this? I've tried a Pivot Table thou it didn�t work out in the sense that it was messy & just failed in calculating stuff, not sure if I did it right thou.. Would really appreciate all the help as I actually have about 20 of these sheets which from that fall into 4 groups being 5 sheets per group. I hope this all makes sense, wo...

lost data when opening excel workbooks ; text import wizard popup
When opening many of my excel files ,which all have the same modification date, I come across the text import wizard which states that my text in these files is 'delimited'. All of the files ,including a few word doc.s have had their data changed to show all " y " with two dots above the letter for as far as the eye can see. No import or export has been done with the files and no modifications were done on that date, as far as I know. Is this a corruption problem or is their some 'fix' that I am overlooking. Thanks for any ideas. ...

Convert Column to row with variable data
Hi I'm using Excel 2k and I have a spreadsheet that looks like this Name Address Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 and need it to look like this Name Address 1 Address2 Address3 Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 I have a macro that can convert from column to row but only for a set number of columns. Is there any way to account for the variable amount of data for each address ? Any help much appreciated Thanks David David: I suggest the following formulae - copied down as necessary: C2: =IF(...

Adjust Labels
I have a series of pie charts that are updated via a macro. When the data is changed, the labels on these charts move around (and we know how Excel default labels line up). I need a way to fix them so they are readable. Is there any way to do that automatically? Office 2K, Windows 2K Thanks Erin ...

Page Number in Repeat Rows area
Is there a way that I can put a Page Number in the Repeat Rows area of a sheet - and get it to update when I print? I have found one piece of VBA that puts a page number within a cell but it is only updated if the cell is outside the Repeat Row area. When it is within the Repeat Rows area I just get a page number of 1 corresponding to the original row location.. I do some VBA programming but am not an expert. TIA cheers Chris Nothing comes to mind that doesn't require VBA code. You can paste the following in the sheet header (File | Page Setup) and page x of y will print on ea...

Auto expanding X Axis for Chart
I have a chart setup, currently with reference to 31 cells width. The chart looks great if the user places a value in each of the 31 cells, however if there are only say 20 values placed across the cell row, the chart is displayed over to one side, with nil values displayed where no dat values were entered. Is there a way to have the chart automatically vary the width depending on the amount of values entered across the refernced row of cells? If there was only 20 values entered, then the chart would show 1-20 charted and leave out the 21-31. Corey.... EXCEL 2007...

Importing data into Outlook #2
Is there a process or program with which I can transfer my ACT! data into Outlook contacts? Thanks! ...

Create interactive pivot table chart based on item selected
I'm trying to remember how to drag a chart object to the top left cell of a pivot table thus displaying a charted image of the detail item selected. Any suggestions? ...

Printing Labels on Sato CL408
We are in the process of migrating from our existing proprietary POS and Inventory system to RMS. Part of the migration involves migrating the label printing function for our existing Sato CL408 label printers. I have done this successfully except for one detail. The labels are small labels (1 in. by 1.5 in) that are printed side-by-side. To get the second side-by-side label to print, I have to "fool" the label designer wizard into thinking it is printing to a label 3.5 inches wide. The data on the left side is duplicated on the right side, resulting in two labels being p...

Publishing Microsoft Excel Charts to the Web
I routinely publish Excel charts to a web site for viewing in a web browser. When I do so, the charts are too large to fit on one screen without scrolling. Is there a way to make the charts fit the size of the user's browser window when you publish them? Jim - Embed the charts in a worksheet (right click, Location, As Object In: Sheet Name), and size them to fit before exporting. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Jim wrote: > I routinely publish Excel charts to a web site f...

How do I show a data table with legend keys in a line chart?
I am having trouble inserting a data table with legend keys into a line chart that contains a horizontal target line. Can anyone help me? Hi, I tried it in both 2007 and 2003 and had no problems. We need more infomation, can you post a sample of the chart somewhere. The only issue I have is that the target line is displayed on the data table, which I would prefer that it not be. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "excelbanker" wrote: > I am having trouble inserting a data table with legend keys into a line chart > that contains a horizontal target line. Can anyone he...

Output the list of frequent data
Dear all, Here comes two problems. Problem 1: I have a list of strings (say, in the column A1:A100). How can I find the "mode" (i.e. the string appearing most frequently in the list? For example, if the list is APPLE APPLE BANANA APPLE CREAM CREAM BANANA CREAM APPLE DONUT then I want the result is APPLE. It seems that the MODE function does not suppot data type other than numbers. Is there any canned UDF for it? Problem 2: Following Problem 1, I want to generate a list of the 3 most frequent data in the list. If the list is the one in the example, I want to list to be...

Modifing data to show up better in chart.
My Y1 axis is from 0-250 my Y2 axis is from 0-9000 When graphing percentages the line shows up at the very bottom since 99% < 1 is there a way I can multiply these percentages by 100 to show them as 9900% = 99 Normally you would just make then a 2nd axis but as you can see I already have a second axis of 0-9000 In article <A9E6F75B-7307-4291-BC7D-729F9DF88D50@microsoft.com>, MikePunko@discussions.microsoft.com says... > My Y1 axis is from 0-250 my Y2 axis is from 0-9000 > When graphing percentages the line shows up at the very bottom since 99% < 1 > is there a way I...

Movie of Charts desired
I'm having alot of trouble trying to show charts repeatedly. I change the data that is the 'source' of the chart, but even with a 'refresh' it doesn't want to show anything, till the last one. What gives? Any general hints or clues appreciated. Thanks. Ken Where is the chart(s)? How are you changing the source? What do you refresh? How do you refresh? What doesn't show until what last one? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <...

Creating Charts for Use in Powerpoint
I have a series of charts that I need to create for a Powerpoin presentation. I thought it would be easy to just create the charts/graphs in Exce and then just cut and paste to the PP-Slides. I'm finding that it isn' quite that easy. Here are some of my problems that I hope someone might be able to she some light on and give me some direction. 1. In Excel how do you control the size of the chart? - When I create a chart 1 and define the data ranges I get a goo looking chart then I thouht, why reinvent the wheel so I just copy th chart to create chart 2 and change the data range, but...

Data Validation #47
kshave multiple identacle sheets in a workbook(31 sheets). I am trying to allow users to only enter whole numbers in some of these cells. I know I can do it through Data /Validation/Allow - but, I want to do it on all 31 sheets at once. When I select all sheets - Validation is greyed out. Should I be using a different method? Thanks, Tom Apply the data validation on Sheet1 Copy the cell(s) in which you applied data validation Select Sheet2 Scroll to see sheet31 Hold the Shift key, and click on Sheet31 tab Select the cell where you want to paste the data validation Choose Edit>Paste Cl...

vba to prevent display of default series in doughnut chart
I am generating a doughnut chart using VBA and am having two immediat issues: 1) I am using the following line to ensure that the default chart tha is generated when I invoke the Charts.Add method is a doughnut chart: Application.SetDefaultChart FormatName:=xlDoughnut Is there a more elegant approach to ensuring that any chart create ends up being a doughnut chart, maybe when invoking the Charts.Ad method? I have tried to specify ChartType = xlDoughnut after th Charts.Add method but this does not do the trick every time (see cod snippet below). 2) When the doughnut chart is added (immediat...

Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big
I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have many charts and graphs that were created in Excel. Currently, there will be at least 26 graphs/charts in the document. In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough space to save the Word document because it gets too big. The document itself is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at least 26 graphs and charts. I'm looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts into Excel without it taking so much memory. One solution we thought of was to only paste the gra...

Merge data from Acces to word
I have an Access db with records on a form which I want to export to a Word Template with predifened fields. How can I do that? reidarT Take a look at Albert D. Kallal's Super Easy Word Merge at http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault "ReidarT" wrote: > I have an Access db with records on a form which I want to > export to a Word Template with predifened fields. > How can I do that? > reidarT ...

How do i highlight the current row for data input
How do i highlight the current row for data input. Mike, Can you provide a little more detail about what you want to do? Your question isn't very clear. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "mike" <msclafani@massbay.edu> wrote in message news:04fe01c36129$81bfa600$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do i highlight the current row for data input. Mike, If by highlight, you mean change the color of the current row as the user moves about, or something like that, it can be done via a ma...