data labels from second column

Hi

Column A is list of names (Bob, Sue, etc); column B is how much they
collected (58, 12, etc); Column C is the date they did it on - so record 1
says Bob collected 58 on 10/07/07, for instance.

I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as
the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the
collector's name.  So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the
chart area.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Chandler
0
Chandler (26)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as
>the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the
>collector's name.  So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the
>chart area.

Put the date to the immediate left of the amount collected, then move
the "Date" heading away temporarily. Then use the Chart Wizard to create
an XY (Scatter) Chart.

(I'm told Scatter Charts don't require you to have a blank cell above
the X range column, but I can't seem to get it to work, and anyway a
blank cell at top left is the norm for running the Chart Wizard
successfully, so might as well follow practice)

After you've made your scatter graph, you can move the Date header back
in place if you like, and even put the date column back in Column C.

Now for having the names as labels on the graph, you can put them in
manually if there's only a few names, with some effort, but it's much
easier to download one of the following two add-ins:

     Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
     John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

(text cut and paste from a post of Jon's naturally :-)

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Great stuff.  Only problem is that I've tried both add-ins and they do a
curious thing.  In my 14 record list they label the date (column
A)/collection amount (column B) at row 1 with the name at row 14, then the
date/collection amount at row 2 with the name at row 13, and so on.  In other
words the labels are attached to the wrong points on the chart - mirrored in
fact.

Bamboozled.  Will look again in the morning.

Cheers

Chandler

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as
> >the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the
> >collector's name.  So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the
> >chart area.
>
> Put the date to the immediate left of the amount collected, then move
> the "Date" heading away temporarily. Then use the Chart Wizard to create
> an XY (Scatter) Chart.
>
> (I'm told Scatter Charts don't require you to have a blank cell above
> the X range column, but I can't seem to get it to work, and anyway a
> blank cell at top left is the norm for running the Chart Wizard
> successfully, so might as well follow practice)
>
> After you've made your scatter graph, you can move the Date header back
> in place if you like, and even put the date column back in Column C.
>
> Now for having the names as labels on the graph, you can put them in
> manually if there's only a few names, with some effort, but it's much
> easier to download one of the following two add-ins:
>
>      Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>      John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com
>
> (text cut and paste from a post of Jon's naturally :-)
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
Chandler (26)
9/3/2007 10:24:01 PM
Is your data perhaps plotted in reverse order (point 1 at the highest
category)? Or are your dates listed latest to earliest in the sheet?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Chandler" <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Del
>
> Great stuff.  Only problem is that I've tried both add-ins and they do a
> curious thing.  In my 14 record list they label the date (column
> A)/collection amount (column B) at row 1 with the name at row 14, then the
> date/collection amount at row 2 with the name at row 13, and so on.  In
> other
> words the labels are attached to the wrong points on the chart - mirrored
> in
> fact.
>
> Bamboozled.  Will look again in the morning.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chandler
>

> "Del Cotter" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
>> Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>> >I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected
>> >as
>> >the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the
>> >collector's name.  So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within
>> >the
>> >chart area.
>>
>> Put the date to the immediate left of the amount collected, then move
>> the "Date" heading away temporarily. Then use the Chart Wizard to create
>> an XY (Scatter) Chart.
>>
>> (I'm told Scatter Charts don't require you to have a blank cell above
>> the X range column, but I can't seem to get it to work, and anyway a
>> blank cell at top left is the norm for running the Chart Wizard
>> successfully, so might as well follow practice)
>>
>> After you've made your scatter graph, you can move the Date header back
>> in place if you like, and even put the date column back in Column C.
>>
>> Now for having the names as labels on the graph, you can put them in
>> manually if there's only a few names, with some effort, but it's much
>> easier to download one of the following two add-ins:
>>
>>      Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>>      John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com
>>
>> (text cut and paste from a post of Jon's naturally :-)
>>
>> --
>> Del Cotter
>> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
>> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/4/2007 1:02:38 AM
Yup, that was it.  Many thanks for all the help.

Chandler