Custom axis label frequency

Hello,

I've been creating a spreadsheet with the daily value of my stock
portfolio, for personal records. Within the spreadsheet, I've created a
chart that shows the daily progression as a line graph. What I want to
do, is the X-axis (day value) display a label on the first trading day
of each week. Right now I'm given the option of placing a label every
number of days (ticks), but given that trading weeks vary in length due
to holidays, it doesn't end up the way I want. I'm also not given the
choice of starting after a few days, so the first label will always be
on the first day I started trading, which wasn't a Monday.
Is there a simple way of placing labels where I want, instead of
automatically?
Many thanks!

Diego

0
correo (1)

Probably the best way to do this is to create a dummy series, and only fill
in the entries where you want labels.  Let this series run across the bottom
of the chart, don't display the line or markers, but choose the option to
display Data Labels.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"correo@ironcito.com" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been creating a spreadsheet with the daily value of my stock
> portfolio, for personal records. Within the spreadsheet, I've created a
> chart that shows the daily progression as a line graph. What I want to
> do, is the X-axis (day value) display a label on the first trading day
> of each week. Right now I'm given the option of placing a label every
> number of days (ticks), but given that trading weeks vary in length due
> to holidays, it doesn't end up the way I want. I'm also not given the
> choice of starting after a few days, so the first label will always be
> on the first day I started trading, which wasn't a Monday.
> Is there a simple way of placing labels where I want, instead of
> automatically?
> Many thanks!
>
> Diego

I should add that you may want to use the XL ChartLabler Add-in which is free
on the internet.

If you need more detail let me know.
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"correo@ironcito.com" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been creating a spreadsheet with the daily value of my stock
> portfolio, for personal records. Within the spreadsheet, I've created a
> chart that shows the daily progression as a line graph. What I want to
> do, is the X-axis (day value) display a label on the first trading day
> of each week. Right now I'm given the option of placing a label every
> number of days (ticks), but given that trading weeks vary in length due
> to holidays, it doesn't end up the way I want. I'm also not given the
> choice of starting after a few days, so the first label will always be
> on the first day I started trading, which wasn't a Monday.
> Is there a simple way of placing labels where I want, instead of
> automatically?
> Many thanks!
>
> Diego

If the label shows the date, then the chart labeler (http://appspro.com) is
unnecessary. In a column next to the data you're plotting, put either 0 (or
whatever the Y axis minimum is) beside the dates where you want a label, or
=NA() where you don't want a label. Add a series using this column, format
it to show no line and no markers, and add data labels, using the Show
Labels option. The NA() points will not be plotted on the chart, so they
will have no labels either. Format the labels with the desired date format,
and format the label position to below the points.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:DB79D57D-22E2-483D-B1C3-E71978D5F87D@microsoft.com...
>I should add that you may want to use the XL ChartLabler Add-in which is
>free
> on the internet.
>
> If you need more detail let me know.
> --
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "correo@ironcito.com" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been creating a spreadsheet with the daily value of my stock
>> portfolio, for personal records. Within the spreadsheet, I've created a
>> chart that shows the daily progression as a line graph. What I want to
>> do, is the X-axis (day value) display a label on the first trading day
>> of each week. Right now I'm given the option of placing a label every
>> number of days (ticks), but given that trading weeks vary in length due
>> to holidays, it doesn't end up the way I want. I'm also not given the
>> choice of starting after a few days, so the first label will always be
>> on the first day I started trading, which wasn't a Monday.
>> Is there a simple way of placing labels where I want, instead of
>> automatically?
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Diego

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
1/27/2007 2:32:16 AM
Of course, if you need something different as the labels, you need to put
the labels in the next column, next to the 0 (or Y axis minimum) values. Add
the invisible series as before. Then use the chart labeler to apply the
column of labels to the hidden series.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> If the label shows the date, then the chart labeler (http://appspro.com)
> is unnecessary. In a column next to the data you're plotting, put either 0
> (or whatever the Y axis minimum is) beside the dates where you want a
> label, or =NA() where you don't want a label. Add a series using this
> column, format it to show no line and no markers, and add data labels,
> using the Show Labels option. The NA() points will not be plotted on the
> chart, so they will have no labels either. Format the labels with the
> desired date format, and format the label position to below the points.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:DB79D57D-22E2-483D-B1C3-E71978D5F87D@microsoft.com...
>>I should add that you may want to use the XL ChartLabler Add-in which is
>>free
>> on the internet.
>>
>> If you need more detail let me know.
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Shane Devenshire
>>

>> "correo@ironcito.com" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been creating a spreadsheet with the daily value of my stock
>>> portfolio, for personal records. Within the spreadsheet, I've created a
>>> chart that shows the daily progression as a line graph. What I want to
>>> do, is the X-axis (day value) display a label on the first trading day
>>> of each week. Right now I'm given the option of placing a label every
>>> number of days (ticks), but given that trading weeks vary in length due
>>> to holidays, it doesn't end up the way I want. I'm also not given the
>>> choice of starting after a few days, so the first label will always be
>>> on the first day I started trading, which wasn't a Monday.
>>> Is there a simple way of placing labels where I want, instead of
>>> automatically?
>>> Many thanks!
>>>
>>> Diego

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

How do I change the data set on the X axis? (office 2003)
OK, so I created a frequency histogram (bar chart) by selecting the values for the Y-axis, but I can't figure out how to change the values on the X-axis to fit the rest of my values.... When I make the graph using both sets of data, it gives me two separate bar charts on the same plane. Help please :) Thanks Remove the text in the top cell over the x-values; now make the chart. Excel thinks you have two data series best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "jrexattack" <jrexattack@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Barcode Labels in RMS to print on Zebra LP2844 printer
I purchased the Dyanamics RMS software bundle and in order to create the price barcode labels and print them, I just bought the Zebra LP2844 printer. I was sold the 2.25" x 1.25" label paper. When I try to select a default label design, I only see the Avery labels of which none of them are of that size. The Help section tells us to create our own or edit. I tried editing, per instructions in RMS, an existing Avery label design and saving it. I successfully modified it and the system allowed me to save it. When I went back into the Label wizard and opened up the label that I ...

customizations.xml help
I've imported a custom customizations.xml fiel( latest release for the application) and now accounts, leads and a few more are not on the workplace. While these are not needed for live, I kind of like to have them there as a lot of code samples use them. I can't make them show up by ticking the [i]Areas that display this entity[/i] on each entity menu. I know that I have to modify customizations.xml but how? what do I need to change so that I can tick these? TIA Hi, What you probably need to do is modify the sitemap. There is thorough documentation in the CRM SDK on how ...

CUSTOMIZATION CRM
Hi! I trying to customization crm, and I would wish if it's possible to modify label "HOME", "Account", "Lead", ecc... Someone knows it's possible? Thanks These customizations are not allowed by the sdk which is free for download. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=044A98B7-62A1-45A0-8816-45F084B0F63B&displaylang=en All customizations which are supported are garanteed to work after upgrades! Good luck customizing Ron Wallegie "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6099229F-E59A-49A9-A...

Customized MDI child wnd problem
Hi, I have customized the windows Title Bar and it's used in an MDI application. But once a child window is minimized the height of it is less than the height I want. What is wrong here? Thanks. ...

excel2007 pivot table chart x-axis
I make pivot table charts with multiple items on the x-axis. excel2007 seems to randomly blank out some of the x-axis numbers. excel2003 did not do this. In addition, I can open up an excel2003 file with a "normal" looking pivot table chart, but if I create a new chart in excel2007 from the same data, the problem occurs. I am also having this problem, any solutions? This problem makes pivot charting almost useless... "curve_ball" wrote: > I make pivot table charts with multiple items on the x-axis. excel2007 seems > to randomly blank out some of the x-a...

Conditional formatting with custom number??
I thought this would be simple... Each cell will have a number from 1-24 and an alpha character (ie: A, V, H, F). The number designates the time each person starts work and the letter designates where they are supposed to work. What I want is all the Day Shift people with one type of background, the PM shift people with a second background and the Night shift people with a third background. Then I want to count how many people are scheduled per shift per day. I have already done this individually setting up each cell, but that was before I learned about conditional formatting. If condi...

custom number- minutes:seconds.hundredths how to hide a leading z
Hi, I'm running up a simple sheet to enter/display times for a sporting event. As such, I have set a custom format of m:ss.00 and can enter a time of 1 (minute) 10 (seconds) 24 (hundredths) to show as 1:10.24 (this parts OK). But if the time is less than a minute, say 55.24 (seconds) I get 0:55.24 which although functional, looks messy. It also requires the person to enter the leading "0:". Is there a way to a)stop the leading "0:" from showing, and b)not require entering the "0:" for times less than a minute? --- pbw For your custom format: [<...

Secondary Axis Without Data Points?
Is it possible to have two Y Axes (one left and one right) with only one data series? Thanks, Phil Hi Phil, Yes but you need to cheat! Make chart in normal way. Now select the range of cells with the y-values and use Copy command; click on chart and use Paste. Now you have two identical series. Right click on the new data series in the chart; from popup menu use Format Data Series; on Axis tab specify Secondary Axis and on Pattern tab specify No makers and NO line (make second series invisible) Hope this helps best wishes Bernard "Phil Hageman" <PhilHageman@discussions.mi...

Custom toolbars and shared drive
I created an Excel workbook that has customized menus and toolbars. When I save the workbook to a shared drive, others were unable to access the customized toolbars and menus. So, I redefined the toolbars and menus from "custom toolbars" to "toolbars in the workbook" and saved this to the shared drive. Others were then able to use the menus on the spreadsheet but the toolbar format definitions stayed attached to their personal Excel configuration. My question is this, how can I quarantine the configuration to a specific file on the shared drive without re-def...

Customize Notes Form
Hi verybody ... I need to know is there any way to customize the notes form, I mean the form where I can attach files or write more text to the note. The problem is that I need to add a field to the notes entity to know if a specific note can be seen for our external clients. I developeda web page when I show you to our clients their actives cases and the notes related to each case, but I want filter some notes can't be seen by the clients. I'd really appreciate if somebody can help me ... thanks. -- MCP SBS 2003 Hi Joel, I having the same problem.. Any luck with this? Thank...

Label Wizard?
I have an LP 2824 Zebra label printer...works great, but when I try to use the wizard with RMS, if I say print items in a certain category, and say that category has 3 items, it will print out the first item 3 times...not all three. Is there a fix for this, or a reason why it does this? -- Thank You Vince :) ...

Dynamic legend labels
Is there a way to automatically change the legend labels? I have pointed the chart series name to a cell that changes depending on the data. These Label changes are actuall reflected in the series box within the source data dialog box, but this is not carrying over to the actual chart legend. Any suggestions? Thanks! If I right click a chart and use Source Data, I can see that a cell (let's say B1) is used to name a series. The data is this cell is reflected in the legend. If I change B1's entry, then the legend changes. Tell us more about what happens with you. -- Bernard V Li...

change label color
Hi. another question. i want change color of label in run time, when fire onchange event. any example code?? Maybe, crmForm.namefield.label.color ="#9F0240" or how????? Thanks for help. Miguel, You're almost there. The Label property returns the text of the label, but not the object itself. If your field is named "my_field", you should find an element named "my_field_c", which is the one you need: crmForm.all.my_field_c.color = "#9F0240"; -- Michael Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2 Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx ----...

Problems with X Axis for a Line Chart
I am trying to create a simple line chart, with the following data: 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 5471 5620 5826 5920 6059 .... but I am unable to generate a chart showing the years (1995, 1996, 1997, etc.) as labels on the X axis. The chart I end up with interprets the years as a separate series of data. Any suggestions? Click once on the series that represents 1995, 1996, 1997, etc. In the standard toolbar, go to Chart -> Source Data -> Series Tab. On the bottom right side of the dialog box, you will see a formula series references that look similar to this: =Sheet1!$A$2:$C$...

Filtering Addresses for labels
Can anyone tell me the best way to filter addresses and then print them to labels or steer me to the appropriate info? I recently download the Avery wizard which seems to have installed itself across my entire office suite but what's the best way to filter the address you actually want to print. I have Access installed, should I export to that or can I achieve what I want within Outlook. Thanks Stephen Start the mail merge from Outlook. Select the Contacts you want, then merge to those Contacts. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Stephen" <stephen.mailnet@btinternet...

can I customize cell fill patterns in Excel?
I'd like to change the standard fill patterns found under format > cells > patterns. I do not have Visio. Is there a way to do this in excel or with a free add in or something? ...

UserForm Labels "0" return
Hi I hope I can explain this okay. I have a userform which contains several labels whose captions are taken from various cells on a sheet, activated by a 'Details' command button. The trouble is, not every is used every time. For example, the cells have address line 1, line 2, line 3, postcode, phone number, fax number; in cases where there isn't a fax number, I'm getting the return "0". I've tried to remedy this by putting the following code in the ("Details")button_click event: For Each cntrl In UserForm1.Controls If TypeOf cntrl Is MSForms...

How can I do a mail merge for printing label from an excel spread
I printed the directions from excel to go to mail merge in word and it seems to me that something lacks in the instructions. danish firemen, see if this will help, For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source have a look here http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm A training tutorial for creating envelopes and labels. http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010390291033 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying ...

Debugging Custom Workflow Activities
Hi All, I'm new to working with workflows. I wrote the below workflow activity library. namespace sitatest { [CrmWorkflowActivity("CreateCustomActivity")] public sealed partial class CreateCustomActivity: Activity { protected override ActivityExecutionStatus Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) { MessageBox.Show("in Workflow"); IContextService contextService = (IContextService)executionContext.GetService(typeof(IContextService)); IWorkflowContext context = contextService.Context; IC...

Customizing Outlook Today #2
Cannot customize Outlook Today. When I select the customize button nothing happens. Any ideas? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820575 should fix the problem. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "John VV" <john@pacificwoodworking.com> wrote in message news:09ad01c34fc3$1d6f8250$a001280a@phx.gbl... | Cannot customize Outlook Today. When I select the | customize button nothing happens. Any ideas? ...

How to track response from Customers in MS CRM
How to track response from Customers in MS CRM ? Which can be done? should make use of Expected Response should make use of Response Code should make use of Promotion Code should make use of Lead Code This is an interesting question. In the context of email campaign-type activities, it seems there is little 'automatic' extended functionality built-in - the system 'looses' track of [undeliverables], [out-of-office] etc. even has difficulty with [unsubscribes] if the incoming email address is different to outgoing. Although as we did in our add-in you can design a query to ma...

Custom Function 03-19-07
Hi, I am stuck with a date function, I think it is just something silly I am missing, please could you advise. Many thanks for your time. Kerry ______________________________________ In a Module named Functions:- Public Function NumbWorkingDays(StartDate As Date, EndDate As Date) As Integer '.................................................................... ' Name: NumbWorkingDays ' Inputs: StartDate As Date ' EndDate As Date ' Returns: Integer ' Comment: Accepts two dates and returns the number of weekdays between them ' Note that this function does no...

Values on 'y' axis
Hello, I just open an spreadsheet with some graphs I did a few days ago and it appears as if the values on the 'y' axis have been rounded up (0,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5....etc) instead of been in a scale (0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2.....etc). The source data for the graph has not changed. I would appreciate it if someone could let me knwo why this has happened and how can I change it back. Thanks Format Axis/ Number/ Decimal places? You could try changing from Number to General? -- David Biddulph "Belcha" <Belcha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF141E22-C1C...

Error after customizations
I made some modifications to the Opportunity form (CRM 1.2), published my customizations, did an iisreset and I'm not receiving the following error message: "SELECT permissions denied on object 'Opportunity'..." Any ideas why this might happen? I have administrative privileges. When you add columns to a table, the assocaited view (in this case Oportunity) is recreated to include the new column. It soulds like security on that view did not grant properly. If you are comfortable with SQL security, you could just verify that the grants on this view match the grant...