curve fitting to a sine function

Is there a way to fit a curve to a fuction such as
y= A+B*sin((2*PI*x/D) +C)^(-e*x) + F*x

in Excel, or is this too difficult to do in Excel?
0
Tenarife (1)

In article <B814291D-401E-4B6C-B29F-F5B99F623290@microsoft.com>,
Tenarife@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Is there a way to fit a curve to a fuction such as
> y= A+B*sin((2*PI*x/D) +C)^(-e*x) + F*x
>
> in Excel, or is this too difficult to do in Excel?

See PLOT manager
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions
Could be done with Solver quite readily
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Tenarife" <Tenarife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to fit a curve to a fuction such as
> y= A+B*sin((2*PI*x/D) +C)^(-e*x) + F*x
>
> in Excel, or is this too difficult to do in Excel?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

How do I turn OFF the GETPIVOTDATA function?
I often want to reference a cell value in a pivot table by simply clicking on the cell (rather than typing in the cell reference) usually to use in a separate formula. I could do this in previous versions of Excel. In the current version of Excel I get the GETPIVOTDATA function which includes absolute cell references which means I cannot drag the formula down. This is quite minor but also enfuriating. View / Toolbars / Pivot Table / Click on 'Generate PivotData' icon to toggle function on/off -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel ...

Function/Formatting
Have a spreadsheet with a range of numbers(for ref the last 30 lotter draws) in cells A1:g31. What I would like is - if a number is entere in say cell m2, a formula or conditional format that would highligh that number in the range. Is it possible? Thanking everyone in advance. Scap ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way, select A1:G31 with A1 as the active cell (if you start selecting from A1 it will be active) or select it by typing A1:A31 in the n...

Outlook 2002 all of a sudden the insert file function hangs?
All of a sudden the insert file function for attaching files within email doesn't respond? Are you on a network using mapped drives? "mharting" <mharting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:371467D8-C111-4620-8087-723FDD6C670F@microsoft.com... > All of a sudden the insert file function for attaching files within email > doesn't respond? mharting wrote: > All of a sudden the insert file function for attaching files within email > doesn't respond? Install an Outlook add-in lately? Tried running Outlook in its safe mo...

Help needed (Automatic script function)
Hi there, I have a slight problem and I hope that the people at this forum can give me a hand. I have a database which has over 200 pages and I would need a script which could do the following to ease my work; http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4388/excel6wg.jpg I need the script to add the value in the E column (the way I show within the brackets). The script should ignore letters, commas points etc, and just add up the numbers to a 2 digit value, placeing the answer in the H column. I would greatly appreciate if someone could lend me a helping hand with this, since I have to add th...

Changing cell color from a function
I have created a fairly simple function that will effectively cycle a number from 1 to 288 then back to 0. It works fine. The function will be applied to around 1000 cells. In addition to the roll oevr I now want to indicate that roll-over has occurred by changing the fill-color of the cell. It does not seem to work I have copied the same cell-changing code :- Worksheets("Scheduled Servicing").Range("G44").Interior.ColorIndex = 3 Worksheets("Scheduled Servicing").Range("g44").Interior.Pattern = xlSolid to a subroutine and it works...

Auto-Fit Text Box as Default
In Publisher, can 1 setup "Best-Fit" in textbox auto-fill as default?? As it stands now, I have to go in and change it "per" document, but would like to have this always on for all my new docs Thank you H wood I don't know a way that you can do that. I am confused by the statement that you have to change it "per" document since it is a change that is made per textbox. The problem with making text boxes best fit by default is that they can't be linked to by other text boxes. -- Computing should be about insight, not numbers or flash. "Hwood&...

Excel 2003 Viewer: No more "Browse in same window" IE functionality?
With Excel viewer '97, by going into the file associations in explorer, you could modify the '.xls' entry and choose 'browse in same window'. In IE, this would then launch the excel attachment in the same window. After installing the recently released Excel Viewer 2003, the 'browse in same window' checkbox is greyed out. Is this a feature that was dropped in the new release? If so, is there any registry hack I can use to re-enable it? I'd really like to have the old functionality in the new version...without it, I can't push out the new version. Any hel...

sumproduct function #3
A few months ago I saw on this forum a reference to a site that summarised the work that USERGROUP members had done on the uses of the sumproduct function. Does anyone have that link, please? thanks Hi Bob the link is http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html Cheers JulieD "bobf" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:203501c51f37$a7c0f430$a501280a@phx.gbl... >A few months ago I saw on this forum a reference to a site > that summarised the work that USERGROUP members had done > on the uses of the sumproduct function. Does anyone...

Sum function problem
We're trying to get the sum of about 60 cells [not in a range, unfortunately] on an enormous spreadsheet. As the cells references are entered into the formula the cells are outlined in color and the cell reference in the formula turns a corresponding color. All good. After about 30 entries, the cells are no longer being highlighted and the cell references are in black. After entering all of the cell references in the formula and closing with the parenthesis, we hit enter and get an error message. I can't tell you the exact wording since it's my boss's spreadsheet an...

Getting straight lines in a best fit trendline of semi log data?
Thanks in advance for any light you can shed. I have been asked to create a graph that looks like this: http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/98/2/490/F4 It is a semi-log representation of a time series. I have created a spreadsheet here: http://ccbc.unc.edu/documents/logarithmic_test_graph.xls As you can see, the trendlines are curved. I have serched the archives but I'm missing a basic understanding of what to do. For example, the TREND function just gave me a specific value. If anyone can tell me how to make my clunky graph resemble the spiify published one, you will save both my...

sine wave trendline
If you have read this message already in a more general Excel group: sorry. It's only recently that I stumbled upon this group, and I'm at a dead end in the general group. I hope the charting experts here can help me. I have a few thousand data points: measurements made approximately (but not exactly) every 5 minutes over several weeks. When I plot these data points in an XY-chart, I can clearly see a "noisy" sine wave with a daily cycle (period). I'm not 100% sure, but there even appears to be a weekly cycle. I need 2 things: * a smooth sine wave line in the chart, w...

Function Keys Keyboard or Keypad
Remember the old keyboards that had the function keys on the left hand side? These came with the early PCs. Eventually the standard keyboard had the function keys on the top. It was very handy to have the function keys on the left hand side and I wish for that again. Perhaps this is not the proper forum, but I can relate it to Access because I like to step through code using the function keys and I want those keys nearer to me. Has anyone ever seen a keypad that contains just function keys that could be used in addition to a regular keyboard? Or how about the old style layout? This rea...

Visio 2003/2007 cross functional flowcharts
I've noticed recently that if I create a cross functional flow chart (with 5 bars), give each bar a title (1 thru 5). Do ctrl+a to select the cross functional chart, then click and drag to move it to a different place on the page. All of the bands move to a new location. Anyone else having this problem? Any solution. It just started for me within the past couple of weeks On Fri, 16 May 2008 13:17:59 -0700 (PDT), Katrina <Jeannetteb.brown@gmail.com> wrote: >I've noticed recently that if I create a cross functional flow chart >(with 5 bars), give each bar a title (1 thr...

Mid or Left function in report writer
Is there a function in report writer that will take off the first 5 or x number of characters from a string field in order to make another field. For example, a field with xxxxx-123456. I would like it to appear as 123456. LuvSQL, You can use the following global functions below. If you send me your email address, I can send you the complete list of ReportWriter functions (courtesy of David Musgrave) HS ------------------------------------- RW_Left Description: Returns the left hand specified number of characters from the string supplied. Parameters: in string IN_String. in integer...

Custom xpath function, ResolveFunction called but not Invoke...
Hi... We have an XsltContext object on our code to support some custom functions. I just went to add one and oddly I find XsltContext.ResolveFunction() is being called but Invoke() isn't. ResolveFunction returns return new XPathExtensionFunction(name, 2, 4, new XPathResultType[] { XPathResultType.String, XPathResultType.String, XPathResultType.String, XPathResultType.Boolean }, XPathResultType.Boolean); where class XPathExtensionFunction : IXsltContextFunction. From what's returned, I see that the ReturnType property is called a couple times but it's never followed up wit...

SLOPE function malfunctioning
Dear All - I hope someone can offer advice. I am using Windows vista and Microsoft Office 2003 – professional edition – I bought the computer in Dublin, Ireland, with Vista installed in June 2008 and the Office software before that. I am having a serious problem with excel. For my research, which I am supposed to be analysing now, I must use the SLOPE function, with which the “known ys” are plotted against “known ys” and a line of best fit gives a slope. My excel is giving a different answer to that of my colleagues (theirs is right, mine wrong). Also, when the area to ...

Getting a pointer to a member function in VC++
Hi all, Just come across a little problem and maybe someone can help? ;) I'm modifying legacy code to go from monolithic procedural code to OO, and there are limitations on what I can do, sadly. But what I have is as follows (with unimportant bits snipped out): BOOL UDPListener::CreateWorkers (UINT dwNumberOfWorkers) { DWORD ThreadId; HANDLE ThreadHandle; DWORD i; ThreadHandle = CreateThread (NULL,0,WorkerThread,NULL,0,&ThreadId); return TRUE; } and WorkerThread is a member function with a prototype as follows: DWORD WINAPI UDPListener::WorkerThread (LPVOID WorkContext) ...

Help with SUMIF & AND function
Hi, how do I create a formula to sumarize value by group and subgroup? My formula by group works but unfortunately the 2nd one doesn't work. What I need is : sumarize the value (column D ) of all products having group = A and subgroup = A. total group subgroup value by_gr by_subgr A A 10 A A 20 A B 30 B A 40 B A 50 B B 60 C A 70 C B 80 D A 90 D B 10 60 =SUMIF(A2:A12;"A";C2:C12) this is OK total 460 something like this: =SUMIF(A2:A12;"A".... AND ...B2:B12;"A";C2:C12) ??? Thanks in advance, mirko Hi =SUMPR...

Programming "Yield" function in Access
Hi, I've been looking for a way to program/calculate "yield" function in Microsoft Access. Finnaly I found a procedure on one of usenet groups. This procedure was created by Mirna Larson back in 2004. Looks like everything should work and this is exactly what I need. However I’m getting “User defined type” error. I tried to use references to different libraries – same error. I’m not an advanced Access VBA user. Basically I created a button on a form and inserted the code thinking that if this works I should be able to customize this later. Probably I needed to do ...

Scroll function gone after update
I have a client that does not have scroll bars on edit lists since updating to version 10. Also, even if there is a scroll bar present, we're unable to scroll by rolling the ball on the mouse, we have to click the scroll bar-we didn't have to in version 9. I am unable to find anything regarding this in knowledgebase. Thank you for any help with this. Tracey D Trace D, I am not wrong , edit list is report. First click the "Magnify" field in report and click the any one of the report field. Now mouse scroll will work in report. regards Jeganeed...

If function limitations help
I am created an advanced gradebook program for excel and was wondering if anyone had an idea of a better way to accomplish the following Column2 Column2 a 3 b 2 c 5 d 10 etc... with the output being in one row a a a b b c c c c c d d d d d d d d d d The idea is to have the teacher type the subject and how many times it appears as a heading but after the 4th I have to many if functions nested. I am using: if b2>=1,a2 for the first return and =IF(B2>=2,A2,IF(B2=1,A3)) for the second, =IF(B2>=3,A2,IF(B2=2,A3,...

Cannot view visual basic functions
I have had a spreadsheet emailed me which has some VB functions included. I need to look at this code but I see nothing in the VB editor. The spreadsheet seems to use these custom functions correctly. Is there some trick to saving spreadsheets such that the VB code can be inspected on another PC? Thanks, Arthur Next time you're in the VBE, can you show your project. Then expand it to see all its components. If you tried to expand the project components and are prompted for a password, then the developer locked it. Arthur Richards wrote: > > I have had a spreadsheet ema...

Public Function for Round up Numbers
Rather that placing the code Round([MyField],2) in all the currency fields that may go the 0.000 three places would a Public function resolve that problem. and If so How would the code be written? No. You need to use Round() in the AfterUpdate event procedure of any control where you think the user might enter more than 2 digits. Or use Round() around the expression if you are assigning values to a field, or around an expresion in your query. Use an Update query to fix up any existing fields that might already contain unrounded values. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western A...

Deluxe vs Premium
Does anyone know what the functional differences are between Deluxe & Premium? Are there any? In other words, if you ignore ALL of the limited subscription services that they list (i.e., gainskeeper, payco yada yada...) are the Deluxe and Premium identical in there capabilites? In microsoft.public.money, Claus DuBois wrote: >Does anyone know what the functional differences are between Deluxe & >Premium? Are there any? > >In other words, if you ignore ALL of the limited subscription services that >they list (i.e., gainskeeper, payco yada yada...) are the Deluxe ...

Date Function
I am running a query from a table that limits the output of data to a specific time frame. I am working on the last month minus 12 months. So what I want to see is from April of this year to May of last year. This is progressive as the months change. i have been using: Between (DateAdd("m",-1,Date())) And (DateAdd("m",-12,Date())) This gives me this years May which I do not want. Any help would be appreciated -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Wed, 09 May 2007 19:18:04 GMT, "rollover99 via AccessMonster.com" <u14080@uwe> wrote: ...