current and future chart section in different colours

Hi All Helpers, I have yearly charts set up for totals of
income etc (monthly and cumulative).  How can I make the
chart a different colour after the current month?
Preferably also hiding the cumulative lines after the
current date.
Thanks
Mon
0
anonymous (74722)

Jon Peltier has information on creating dynamic charts:

   http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html

that may help you.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
1/3/2004 5:33:38 PM
To end the cumulative graph with the current month, check the link
Debra provided or the Excel | Tutorials | Dynamic Charts page of my web
site.

To make the data for future months a different color, plot two
different series on the same chart, one for actual, the other for the
future data.  Now, color each as desired.  Basically, the data would be
laid out as:

		Actual	Project
Oct-03	1.1
Nov-03	1.2
Dec-03	1.3
Jan-04	0.8
Feb-04			0.7
Mar-04			0.8

and you'd plot 2 series, each based on columns.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <08a301c3d20b$bbd7a150$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hi All Helpers, I have yearly charts set up for totals of
> income etc (monthly and cumulative).  How can I make the
> chart a different colour after the current month?
> Preferably also hiding the cumulative lines after the
> current date.
> Thanks
> Mon

why do I get a different footer when copying and pasting text
I have a document that I want to copy chunks of into another document, but when I paste it into the new document it completely changes the footer and doesn't match the original or the new documents' footers - does anyone know why this happens and how I can stop this happening please? Hi Dawn, If the material that you are copying contains any section breaks, those section breaks will be copied into your document along with the configuration of the headers and footers that are embedded within them. A section break may look like a little thing, but a lot of information is...

Chart width as a variable
I want to create a chart in which there are two numerical variables, on would be height and one would be width. Could someone please let me kno how to do this? Thanks a lot -- ErictheFerri ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ErictheFerrit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2522 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38714 Eric - Put the desired horizontal variable (width?) in one column, and the corresponding vertical variable (height?) into the next column. Select this data, star...

2 MX records to two different Mail Servers
This is the scenario so please do not change it or make recommendation for the change...all hypothetical setup. I want to have two Exchange Servers at two different location to answer Internet Mail requests. These locations are NOT linked in anyway, but WILL use the same public DNS name for mail. For example, COMPANY.COM. If I have COMPANY.COM MX records pointing to two different IP Address (the two locations - I assume by MX weight records), will the mail arrive at the destination hosting the actual user mailbox? I have UserA@COMPANY.COM. Mail is destined to him - was not found on...

Problem in Excel Charting
Hi, I have the following problem in chart Steps Followed 1)Open a new Excel Workbook 2)Associate a database query (Select getdate() as TodayDate ) with A1 Cell. This would return "TodayDate" in A1 and current Date in A2 cell 3)Select the following from "Insert" Menu - "Name" - "Define" 4)There we can find the Names of the Workbook - Which includes the Name for the Data Range associated with the Query (added during STEP 2) 5)The value shown is =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3 although only A1 and A2 are populated. Could someone please explain the incons...

The best method for forumlas and charts???
Hello all, I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to go about getting the information I want to display in a chart. Depending on the response, I may also need help implementing the suggestion. Here's what I want to do: On Sheet3 I have a range of data, for example: Columns A B C D 20-Sep R Y G 21-Sep Y n/a R 22-Sep n/a G Y 23-Sep R R n/a On Sheet7, I want to have 16 line graph charts that...

How do I change the size of the text box in a flow chart?

duplex print head to head in landscape, current is head to foot
I have a 2 page doc that is 2 columns each side landscape. I need to duplex print it head to head so that it can read correctly when turned over side to side. It is currently printing head to foot You need to review your printer settings. It's not a Word function. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "spyder 9962" <spyder 9962@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15439535-FB4E-4BE7-8FA5-302761FD2135@microsoft.com... >I have a 2 page doc that is 2 columns each side l...

Embedded Chart does not appear on print preview
Please help! I have a worksheet with an embedded chart in it. The chart background is coloured blue and the pie chart within it is multi coloured. When I click on print preview I can see the worksheet with a blue box where the chart is but the multi-coloured pie chart has disappeared. So it is like the chart background is there but not the chart itself. Can anyone explain this? Kind regards & TIA Stuart :-) Select the chart, from Format menu, choose Selected Chart Area. On Properties tab, check the Print Object checkbox. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Tec...

Difference between balance due on statement and balance due in system?
A client of mine had a recent server mishap that caused them to lose 3 months of sales data. Fortunately, they keep paper records of customer charges and were able to adjust the customer balances accordingly. This worked for most of the statements. However, there is a small group that is really throwing me for a loop. This group of statements is printing a new balance due that is completely different than the balance due as listed in the customer manager. The difference between the correct amount and the mis-print is exactly the amount listed as "Previous Balance" on the statement. ...

Add future date with a button
Hi, I have a "last calibration" field on a form that is updated through the calendar control. Below that, I have a "Next Calibration Due" field that I would like to populate 1 year forward from the last calibration field. I used the expression builder "=DateSerial(Year ([StartDate]),Month([StartDate])+12,Day([StartDate]))" which works, however that field remains blank in the report. I thought perhaps just adding a button beside the "next calibration" field to calculate would be easiest. Thanks in advance, Chad Take a look at the Dat...

Apply Org Chart Template?
Hello, I have inherited a file containing numerous pages of org charts. The file was not created using the Organization Chart template and, therefore, the org chart menu and features are not available to me when updating these charts. Is there any way to apply the Organization Chart template to the existing file so I can access the org chart menu and features? I am using Visio 2007. Thanks. "Nina" <Nina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F58419C8-CC22-48E1-AD2A-0D3B5B1206D4@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I have inherited a file containing numerous page...

Freeze chart location & size
I do a lot of scientific charting of geologic data where I present several different charts side-by-side on a sheet. The data is usually some physical rock property recorded at a particular depth. It is very important to attempt to have these charts represent the same depth interval across all of the charts. The problem is this: Excel tends to resize the charts, at least vertically, which tends to stretch and shrink the depth interval, destroying the lateral correlations. Does anybody know how to lock/anchor/freeze the charts so that they don't change their dimensions. I can resiz...

Create a baseline in Excel 2007 on Excel Chart
Trying to create a basline of 98 across a bar chart in Excel 2007. Hi, The same techniques still work in xl2007. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A282F63-9BC4-44F5-A25D-D1B5BD1FC717@microsoft.com... > Trying to create a basline of 98 across a bar chart in Excel 2007. ...

Chart Data Labels in Excel 2000 for Windows
Excel 2000 Windows I have what is probably an easily solved problem but not for me apparently. I have a simple chart set up by columns : Well Location Date Pressure eg. 10-17-35-10 Apr-10-02 10500 10-18-36-25 Jun-05-03 11500 etc.etc. What I'm trying to do is to get the chart to recognize well location rather than Date as Data Label and post it to the Chart beside the symbol. Everything I've tried has failed. It seems to me that Excel in Apple was much more intuitive it would recognize the non-numeric Well Location as a data labe...

Copy worksheet with dynamic chart?
Can a worksheet with a dynamic chart be copied in the same workbook, and have the new worksheet chart still work referencing the cells in the new worksheet? I have worksheets setup with dynamic charts and formulas in the name manager with worksheet scope. When the worksheets are copied the charts disconnect from the formulas and use a set range reference. To fix this problem, I have tried to put the worksheet name into the name manager using a formula and indirect referencing but the name manager wont accept it. You have to use a round-about procedure. Save the workbook, move the sheet to...

numeric values in a chart
I need to display a value from the spreadsheet into a chart (for example values that are not captured by the chart). I tried with the camera and the copy link images but it did not work You mean as a text label? Select the chart, click in the formula bar, type =, then select the cell with the value and hit Enter. A textbox will appear in the middle of the chart linked to the cell. Move and format it as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "kurtz" <kurtz@discus...

Graph different markers
Using a line graph, I have created a burndown curve and I would like to have different color markers represent different types of reports. Is there any way to do this without manually changing the color of each data point? I would like this graph to update automatically if the type of report ever changes. Thanks! Hi, Maybe you could add additional data series to plot the various coloured markers. The data for the markers would be related to the curve data via some form of conditional formula. The extra data series would be markers only. If the above is not clear maybe you could pos...

Adding a second series to an existing chart
I have a very simple question, I would like to add a second series to an existing chart, how is it done? (I am comparing accidents in 2006 and need a series line for accidents in 2007) Thank you, Many ways to try, including: Chart menu/ Add data Chart menu/ Source Data/ Series/ Add Copy your new series, & paste into the chart (and paste special gives you the choice of new points or new series, together with various other options). -- David Biddulph "Angela" <Angela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:618B7D1A-FCA0-45FD-AC0D-247ADC2091B8@microsoft.com....

Printing 2 documents at the same time from different trays
When sending letters to clients, I would like to be able to print a copy on headed and also a copy on plain paper for the file. Is there anyway I can create a setting for this? It would be fairly straightforward using a macro to select the trays and print the document, change trays and print it again. You will find code at http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm that you can modify to achieve this. If you need any further help let us know. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham M...

Horizontal text changes when chart is uploaded in word
I have set "MNOK" in horizontal on the left side of a chart in excel 2007. When I upload the chart to word the text "MNOK" changes to letters under each other : M N O K Anyone know why ? -- AMH Consider saving the chart as a picture and then loading that picture into your word document. You won't be able to edit the Excel file directly from the Word document, but your chart will appear as you want it to. Jon Peltier further explains why this is a better idea . . . http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html -- John Mansfield cellmatrix.net "AMH" wrote...

Charts for printing
Hi all, I am new to Excel and using 2004 (Mac) version it to create graphs for printing in magazines and newspapers. Currently I save a graph in png and convert it to eps so that it could be used for printing. The problem is that charts lose their shine and appear blury in publication � unlike charts made in Illustrator and Freehand. 1: Is there any proper solution to save a chart and use it in a way so that it does not blur after printing? 2: Can an Excel graph really compete with graphs made in Illustrator or Freehand when it comes to clearlity crispness? 3: Is there any other program ...

Postcard template, place DIFFERENT pictures on each quadrant
I'm helping a real estate agent friend create postcards. Can I place a different picture in a frame so ther are 4 different ones on one sheet of postcard paper? I tried each card has the same picture Carver Smith wrote: > I'm helping a real estate agent friend create postcards. Can I place > a different picture in a frame so ther are 4 different ones on one > sheet of postcard paper? > I tried each card has the same picture ======================== Maybe the following articles will get you started: Answer Box: Print different labels on one sheet in Publisher http://ti...

Zero's plotted in charts?
Why would I show zero's for a column of data in my chart that are actually very large(56869685). Some of my charts have date segments that are missing when the data is there in the table? I checked the formatting for the data in the table and it is all set to a number, no decimal format. I don't understand? -- Thank you! The numbers may have been entered as text, even if the cells are now formatted as numbers. You can tell by clicking the Add Decimal button. If no decimal digit is added, it's text. To fix, select the column of data, and use Text to Columns with...

Create new series (on the same chart) for every change of values in a combobox
Just a little variation over the theme of the 3ad of last week: I've got a *scatter* chart that takes values from cells A1:B100 In C1 and in D1 I've got two combobox (created with data validation method), each one allows me to choose 4 different parameters. By changing these values, the values in A1:B100 and the chart change too. Is there a way to insert *new series on the same chart* every time I change parameter in C1 and D1, so that I can avoid to do the copy & paste single series manually? Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated :-) I sense that you're tryi...

Grouping dates in PivotTable/Chart
My data set includes data from approximately 3 years (daily data). I'd like to use the group data function in PivotTables/Charts to get weekly, monthly etc. averages. Unfortunately, if I choose "month", it groups ALL Januarys together and doesn't separate them out by year. Can I get individual monthly averages with this feature? Is there a better way to get individual weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly average graphs quickly and easily? Thank you! Heidi Hi You can choose Months and Years to group the pivot table so that it displays the yearly and then month...