creating stacked charts with two comparative columns

How do you create a stacked chart with two comparative columns, each column 
containing different data series.  Example: column one would have various 
categories of type of items sold in $, column 2 would have $ shipped, back 
ordered.
The columns would be grouped by month.  How should the data be displayed in 
the spreadsheet?  Is this  doable in Excel?
0
birchbark (3)
11/19/2005 4:32:01 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
759 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

How do you want the charts to display?   That'll help.

"birchbark" <birchbark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:269CE2F8-06FB-4ACD-9C00-7A2ED72BA516@microsoft.com...
> How do you create a stacked chart with two comparative columns, each 
> column
> containing different data series.  Example: column one would have various
> categories of type of items sold in $, column 2 would have $ shipped, back
> ordered.
> The columns would be grouped by month.  How should the data be displayed 
> in
> the spreadsheet?  Is this  doable in Excel? 


0
reply6075 (299)
11/19/2005 10:00:26 PM
Two columns would be side by side.  Column A would be in 3 or 4 colours, 
Column B would be in 2 colours, no space between these 2 stacked columns.  
They would indicate one month results, then there would be a space and the 
next 2 stacked columns would appear for the next month and so on.

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

> How do you want the charts to display?   That'll help.
> 
> "birchbark" <birchbark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:269CE2F8-06FB-4ACD-9C00-7A2ED72BA516@microsoft.com...
> > How do you create a stacked chart with two comparative columns, each 
> > column
> > containing different data series.  Example: column one would have various
> > categories of type of items sold in $, column 2 would have $ shipped, back
> > ordered.
> > The columns would be grouped by month.  How should the data be displayed 
> > in
> > the spreadsheet?  Is this  doable in Excel? 
> 
> 
> 
0
birchbark (3)
11/20/2005 1:09:06 AM
Links on this page should direct you to what you need:

  http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______


"birchbark" <birchbark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:F5A60259-DAC6-49B0-841A-302429BAEA12@microsoft.com...
> Two columns would be side by side.  Column A would be in 3 or 4 colours,
> Column B would be in 2 colours, no space between these 2 stacked columns.
> They would indicate one month results, then there would be a space and the
> next 2 stacked columns would appear for the next month and so on.
>
> "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
>
>> How do you want the charts to display?   That'll help.
>>
>> "birchbark" <birchbark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:269CE2F8-06FB-4ACD-9C00-7A2ED72BA516@microsoft.com...
>> > How do you create a stacked chart with two comparative columns, each
>> > column
>> > containing different data series.  Example: column one would have 
>> > various
>> > categories of type of items sold in $, column 2 would have $ shipped, 
>> > back
>> > ordered.
>> > The columns would be grouped by month.  How should the data be 
>> > displayed
>> > in
>> > the spreadsheet?  Is this  doable in Excel?
>>
>>
>> 


0
11/20/2005 2:56:09 PM
Thanks - I had just come across this link in a previous post and was trying 
it out when I got your post.  

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Links on this page should direct you to what you need:
> 
>   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
> 
> 
> "birchbark" <birchbark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:F5A60259-DAC6-49B0-841A-302429BAEA12@microsoft.com...
> > Two columns would be side by side.  Column A would be in 3 or 4 colours,
> > Column B would be in 2 colours, no space between these 2 stacked columns.
> > They would indicate one month results, then there would be a space and the
> > next 2 stacked columns would appear for the next month and so on.
> >
> > "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
> >
> >> How do you want the charts to display?   That'll help.
> >>
> >> "birchbark" <birchbark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:269CE2F8-06FB-4ACD-9C00-7A2ED72BA516@microsoft.com...
> >> > How do you create a stacked chart with two comparative columns, each
> >> > column
> >> > containing different data series.  Example: column one would have 
> >> > various
> >> > categories of type of items sold in $, column 2 would have $ shipped, 
> >> > back
> >> > ordered.
> >> > The columns would be grouped by month.  How should the data be 
> >> > displayed
> >> > in
> >> > the spreadsheet?  Is this  doable in Excel?
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
birchbark (3)
11/20/2005 3:09:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Plotting a chart on two axis
I am trying to plot a line chart on two axis with more than two series. e.g. series 1 = price, series 2 = %, series 3 = %, series 4 = %. Excel decides which series is plotted against which axis, how can I determine this instead? Thanks Luke Luke Dodimead wrote: > *Excel decides which series is > plotted against which axis, how can I determine this > instead?* Right-click on the series, select "Format", then select the "Axis" ta and you can choose against which axis that series will plot -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Luke - Draw the ch...

How to print one header over several columns of data
I want to print one title over a span of columns - what is the command? Format>Cells>Aligment>Horizontal>Center across selection? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:19:00 -0700, column title print <column title print@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to print one title over a span of columns - what is the command? ...

Excel Charts
Hi all , Can somebody give me information about any vendor providing a tool to that integrates Great plains data with Excel Charts and Graphs. Thanks in advance I would recommend Analysis Cubes for Excel (? not sure if that's still the name). It's the "BI" solution that MS bought from Professional Advantage. It is not too expensive, and will save you a lot of hours if you are currently doing a lot of 'reporting' thru smartlists. It is very use-able out of the box, and can also be customized with the help of the developers. Hope this helps, Maria. "vija...

How do you match one column's numbers with the 2nd column?
How do you math one column's numbers with the 2nd column? Like if you had: 1 2 2 3 3 6 4 5 6 7 ... and you wanted it sorted like so 2 2 3 3 6 6 1 4 5 7 Any idea how to do that? Thanks, Lee:confused -- lnsykalsk ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lnsykalski's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3403 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=53792 Assuming your data are in columns A and B insert a staging column before column B, with following formu...

email created in publisher has jibberish
When I create an email in Publisher and send it to my smtp email address, I open it up to read the email and it has the following jibberish before the actual email: v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} b\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} Is this something that can be prevented in the creation? Or is this something that happens after it is emailed? ...

Creating a frame window for MDI in a DLL
Have a question on creating an MDI 'application' from a DLL. I would like to launch an MDI 'psuedo' application from a DLL. That is, when this method is called from the main application, it would launch what would look like another application, that is an MDI frame with doc/view, etc.. I have seen something like this in .NET forms, however, I am using unmanged C++ code. I have some experimental code work done now and it appears that the call to LoadFrame fails (yes, I have included all of the necessary IDR_MAINFRAME resources). Is this possible? Has anyone done this? An...

Pivot table add one column
How can I add one column in pivot table? When I added a column of Average 100, pivot table created 3 more columns for the first 3 columns( and I don't like it) My data Book Label Price Average A Hard paper 200 100 B Soft 100 100 C Hard paper 200 100 F Plastic 50 100 K Soft 100 100 L Plastic 50 100 M Hard paper 200 100 K soft 100 100 R Soft 100 100 T Plastic 50 100 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My pivot ...

Chart repeats in report
Hi, I have form based charts and tables and reports as sub-objects in one report, "Appendix". This takes one report header and nine section headers, no footers or detail section used. However, I noticed, as I built "Appendix", that a peculiar effect has happened, which to my, ignorant eye appears to be random. The effect is that some charts are repeated on the next page, and the following pages, for several more pages. As they repeat they gradually change vertical height on the Appendix report's pages. That is, the same chart (or table) repeats on several ...

I want to make a two tone chart background
I am creating a chart and want the chart background above a certain value to be of a different color (to indicate a maximum allowable value has been exceeded). An alternative would be to jus have the gridline & axis value of a different color/thickness/etc Basically, you'll need to create some dummy series. Jon Peltier gives excellent examples of how to create horizontal bands here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/HorizBands.html Other background fills: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BackgroundFill.html -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes"...

Create Organization failed
I've moved my deployment to the production server and now want to create a new organization for testing purposes on the developmente server. When I run the New Organization wizard i get this error: Error| Create new Organization (Name=BigSky, Id=3a238cdc-773f-de11-81d3-000d9d4d28a8) failed with Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException (0x80072037): There is a naming violation. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072037) I have had the same problem and sam...

Were can I find a design master I created?
I created a master slide design and it does not show up in the design template menu. Where could it be found? Julio Which version of PPT are you using? -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx "Julio" <Julio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E246AB3D-9D8E-4C3B-A513-3E12EC97571E@microsoft.com... >I created a master slide design and it does not show up i...

ListView header columns
I have a silly question, in a list view in report mode with column headers enabled I am supporting sorting the items in the list view and would like to show the silly little up and down arrows indicating ascending or decending but I don't see any property related to having them displayed. Are they a custom drawn item or am I just missing the obvious? TIA Ron Ron Hall wrote: >I have a silly question, in a list view in report mode with column headers >enabled I am supporting sorting the items in the list view and would like to >show the silly little up and down arrows indicati...

Exchange 2007
Hi there, I'm trying to create a public contact folder in Exchange 2007. I can create a new public folder using the "New-PublicFolder" shell command, but it defaults to Post item types. Could anyone tell me how to set it so that it defaults to Contact item types? Thanks, -Richard rk <rk@leapbeyond.com> wrote: > Hi there, > > I'm trying to create a public contact folder in Exchange 2007. > > I can create a new public folder using the "New-PublicFolder" shell > command, but it defaults to Post item types. Could anyone tell me how > t...

Columns
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I am working on a translation. <br> I created parallel columns as per: <br><br>I am cutting and pasting my earlier work into this format. However, my footnotes are not moving over. I tried to insert footnotes in this new version, but that option was not available in the text box. <br><br>How do I get footnotes or endnotes for the text in the text boxes? You can have either text boxes or footnotes. Footnotes cannot exist in text boxes because text boxes are not part of the text, they're graphi...

Help Creating A Rule
I need help creating a particular rule. I get many SPAM emails that contain no text at all. Instead it is a graphic type that displays text. It looks like "Plain Text" but it is really a photo embedded into an email. How can I write a rule that will prevent this type of SPAM. You can't search the body for text. It is worthless trying to write something that can spot the issue in the header because it can vary so much. Any way to write a rule that can detect the absent of all text? Don't use rules - set your Outlook Junk Filter to highest. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Ou...

Macro to update Chart #2
I'm trying to create a macro that will update a dashboard of charts by pushing a button. The data resides in the same excel file but different page and the dashboard contains approx 7 charts. The charts are updated quarterly and rather than having to go into each one and shift the source data I would like to automate it....any ideas? I'm a novice to macros! -- lajohn63 Why use a macro? Make dynamic charts: Dynamic Charts - http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/dynamic-charts/ Dynamic and Interactive Charts (overview) - http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ...

REPLY TO: how can i creat options in a cell of excel worksheet
You really need to give more information on what you're looking for. What do you mean by "Options"? Also, if you don't leave a message in the message portion when you're posting, many of us can't reply to the request. HTH, Barb Reinhardt ...

How to chart security indices?
Hi, I have four columns each containing values for different stock securities. I would like to chart these columns in a line chart with a line for each column. But I would like to chart the index value as opposed to the actual value. Does anyone know how to do this? By index value I mean (1 + ((CurrVal - StartVal) / StartVal) * 1000) where 1000 is the base index value. Or if anyone knows of a more clever approach to measuring percent price changes please let me know. Thanks! Marcus - Assuming your dates are in column A and your stock prices in B:E, you would put formulas in columns F...

Display Data Table in chart but don't show plot area
I am using Excel 2003. I have created some charts/graphs with data tables, chart titles, etc. My customer only wants to see the data table and chart title for each graph. Is there a way to turn off the plot area and change the size of the chart so that the chart title is close to the data table? But the data table merely reflects what is in the cells used to make the chart! Why not just display that data in a new format? Or am I missing something? best wished -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "RW" <RW@discussi...

calculated column in pivot table
Can I create a calculated column in a pivot table from two other columns. I have tried creating formulas but that does not seem to do the trick. The answer is yes. For anything less general, we'll need specifics on what you tried, and what happened. "does not seem to do the trick" does not give us much to go on. Regards, Fred "freeriderxlt" <st.jdaich@gmail.com> wrote in message news:97a60a38-262d-4a91-9474-7c26d8c44be3@a16g2000pre.googlegroups.com... > Can I create a calculated column in a pivot table from two other > columns. I have trie...

Chart printed in real measurements
Suppose I have two colums of data. Article -- Length/Centimeters 10 -- 5,5 20 -- 0 30 -- 6,7 40 -- 7,7 50 -- 8,9 I want a Excel bar chart (that's easy) but when the chart is printed on my laserprinter, the length of the bar per article should be the effective length in centimeters on the printed page... Anyone -- SelzhanikPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces ...

How to? Exch2003srv receive e-mail and forward to two mailbox
Hi, Our company uses Exchange 2003 Server. One of the VP made a special request that I have no idea how to deal with. Basically, he wants any e-mail send to him, internal or external, not only arrive in his exchange mail box, but also arrive at his secretary's exchange mail box, all done on the server side. So, one incoming e-mail send to two different exchange mail box at the same time. If any one can give me a pointer here and there, it would be greatly appreciate. Thanks. Sincerely, Jadefox Open the VP account properties in Active Directory Users and Computers and then go to th...

combining data from two columns into one
Column A Column B Column C FirstName MI LastName FirstName.LastName@XXX.com Need to combine data in column A and B to make C. Can anyone help me? Thanks! ei Use a formula like: =a2&" "&b2 Regards, Fred "eintpc5146" <eintpc5146@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7A68BE4-41DC-46F3-B20F-737A14A5A1B4@microsoft.com... > Column A Column B Column C > > FirstName MI LastName > FirstName.LastName@XX...

Populating consecutive columns from a static set of cells?
I am trying to populate a master quote list and want each entry (1 row) populated by the info I enter from my quote estimate template in a separate workbook. I know how to link cells, but don't know what formula to use in the template to make each entry choose the next open row on the master list. Anybody up to the challenge? -- -Thomas Hi Thomas- If I understand your question, the first issue to clear up is that one workbook cannot 'send' data to another, i.e., your template can't send new entries to what you are calling the Master. What you need to do is work from ...

Excel 2003 Charts slow to refresh
I have a user whose charts are slow to refresh. I have reinstalled Office 2003 and made sure it is patched. I have also tried logging on to the PC as a different user. Neither made a difference. If the document is opened on a different PC (still 2003), then the charts up date quickly Any ideas? Thanks, Jim Fixed! - it was the graphics card Turned down hardware acceleration by 2 notches and hey presto, normal service was resumed! Jim "JimXOX" wrote: > I have a user whose charts are slow to refresh. I have reinstalled Office > 2003 and made sure it is patched. I ha...