Creating graph from values in multiple tabs within workbook

I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets within
a workbook.

Worksheet 01/01/07 Share price A �5
Worksheet 01/01/07 Share price B �2

Worksheet 01/02/07 share price A �4
Worksheet 01/02/07 share price B �2.50

I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down and select the data from
each cell in the worksheet but I have obviously got that wrong.

As you can see from above I am looking to initially create 2 lines over a
say a year to monitor the values of a number of different share prices.

Can someone point me in the direction of an idiot guide of how to do this.

Many thanks

Roger

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
roger lewis <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> said:
>I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets within
>a workbook.
>I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down and select the data from
>each cell in the worksheet but I have obviously got that wrong.

Don't try to take values straight out of the workbooks and straight into
a chart. You're only making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Take
values from the workbooks and put them into a range in one summary
workbook and build the chart there.

           A    B
01/01/07   �5   �2
01/02/07   �4   �2.50

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Regards

Roger
"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> roger lewis <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> said:
>>I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets
>>within
>>a workbook.
>>I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down and select the data from
>>each cell in the worksheet but I have obviously got that wrong.
>
> Don't try to take values straight out of the workbooks and straight into
> a chart. You're only making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Take
> values from the workbooks and put them into a range in one summary
> workbook and build the chart there.
>
>           A    B
> 01/01/07   �5   �2
> 01/02/07   �4   �2.50
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>   which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
roger lewis <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> said:

>"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets
>>>within a workbook. I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down
>>>and select the data from each cell in the worksheet but I have
>>>obviously got that wrong.
>>
>> Don't try to take values straight out of the workbooks and straight into
>> a chart. You're only making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Take
>> values from the workbooks and put them into a range in one summary
>> workbook and build the chart there.
>
>Ok Del, many thanks for your reply.  I will collate the info onto one page
>and chart from that.  Perhaps I was trying to be too clever.

There are still opportunities for automating the process. Have a look at
the INDIRECT() function, and see if you can use "foo"&"bar" create a
text string that evaluates to a particular cell in each workbook you are
building from. You might find you can create a column of workbook names
and a row of cell references, and build the block of chart data from
that.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> roger lewis <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> said:

>>> Don't try to take values straight out of the workbooks and straight into
>>> a chart. You're only making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Take
>>> values from the workbooks and put them into a range in one summary
>>> workbook and build the chart there.
>>
>>Ok Del, many thanks for your reply.  I will collate the info onto one page
>>and chart from that.  Perhaps I was trying to be too clever.
>
> There are still opportunities for automating the process. Have a look at
> the INDIRECT() function, and see if you can use "foo"&"bar" create a text
> string that evaluates to a particular cell in each workbook you are
> building from. You might find you can create a column of workbook names
> and a row of cell references, and build the block of chart data from that.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Tracking Tab Invisible
Can any one tell me how to show and hide tracking status TAB in outlook. Its visible for some of the machines and invisible in others. Thanks!! skg <skg@yahoo.com> wrote: > Can any one tell me how to show and hide tracking status TAB in > outlook. Its visible for some of the machines and invisible in others. Only if receipts have been received will the tracking tab be available. -- Brian Tillman What version of Outlook are you using? Are these messages for which you have requested tracking information? It's only going to appear on messages where you've requested ...

PERSONAL Workbook is not opening
WHen I open Excel, my PERSONAL workbook is not opening, then I can't access to my Macros. I have checked if its located in the XLSTART folder and it is. Can you help me to solve this out? Maybe personal.xls was disabled... xl2002+ has the abililty to quarantine what it thinks are bad workbooks. They can keep track of them so that it doesn't even try to open them. If you look under Help|About MS Excel, you'll see a button called: "Disabled Items...". Check under there to see if it's marked not to open. You can enable it there, too. If the workbook is real...

Run a macro from another workbook in the QAT
Hi, in Excel 2002 I'm able to create a customized button to execute a macro that is saved in another workbook and another path (a server for exemple), so when I click the button, this automatically open the file and executes the macro. Is this possible with Excel 2007 with a button in the QAT? On Mar 18, 9:41=A0pm, Wil <W...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, in Excel 2002 I'm able to create a customized button to execute a mac= ro > that is saved in another workbook and another path (a server for exemple)= , so > when I click the button, this automatic...

charting independent XYScatter graphs
I'm trying to create a XYScatter graph of 3 independent datasets from within VB6 using OLE/Excel2000. I'm using the KB147803 article as a basis, but am stuck and hope someone can help. The example in KB147803 seems to indicate that there can only be one set of X-Values for the 3 XY Scatter Graph data sets. The X-Value series is the first row of data in the sheet, and is called out as a set of Category labels ('cwCategoryLabels=1'), and applies to all three subsequent rows of Y-Value data. In my case, I want to plot 3 independent sets of XY data, so I'd like to pr...

Removing attachments from multiple emails
Hi: I searched to get all emails with attachments that are from last year or older. Now I want to select them all and remove the attachments from all of them, but keep the messages. I can do this one email at a time by opening it up, right clicking and choosing "remove", but how do I do this for several emails at once? Is there something in Outlook that will allow me to do this or is there a third party tool? Thanks, Kayda There are many third-party tools to add this functionality to Outlook. = See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP...

How to convert to absolute value?
Hello! How do I convert numbers to absolute value? Thanks Edit - Copy. Edit - PasteSpecial - Values - OK. Or do you want a code solution ? HTH. Best wishes Harald "Betsy Marlow" <cmarlow22@bellsouth.net> skrev i melding news:5WmHg.12873$j8.11911@bignews7.bellsouth.net... > Hello! > > How do I convert numbers to absolute value? > > Thanks > > Print abs(-12) 12 On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:16:31 -0400, "Betsy Marlow" <cmarlow22@bellsouth.net> wrote: >Hello! > >How do I convert numbers to absolute value? > >Thanks >...

Help with graph / chart
I have a graph for weeks 1-52, I have split this into 4 seperate graphs each showing a quarter (13 weeks) I cant remember exactly how I created them but possibly using some sort of copy paste as each chart show weeks 1 - 13 along the bottom. This should read......... for chart 1 1-13 for chart 2 14 - 26 chart 3 27 - 40 chart 4 41 - 52 How do I change this on each chart to read the week numbers indicated.? thanks Hi, You need to define the Category labels for the chart. Chart 1 is fine as it defaults to the values 1 to 13. For the other 3 charts you will need to create...

Don't plot zero values
I am currently using Excel XP. I have a scatter chart and would only like to plot non zero values. These are not null values. Is there a chart setting I can do to skip plotting zero values or do I need to somehow filter/sort the data first and then plot? TIA George Hey George - If there are true zeros in the data, perhaps the easiest way to exclude them from the chart is to use an autofilter on the data that hides the rows with zeros. Alternatively, you could insert a column to hide the zeros. Say the range with zeros is in B1:B10. Select C1:C10, and enter this formula into C1: =IF...

Button To Print Workbook With Certain Settings
hi, in a workbook i have 52 numbered sheets. they are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. on the first sheet i have two buttons. i need some coding help with the buttons. basically i want the first button (called even) to print all the even sheets in the workbook. and the second button will print the odd sheets in the workbook. also i want different margin settings for each button. the even button will need a left margin of 0.5 and the odd button will need a right margin of 0.5 - while all the other margins remain 0.2. i am hoping that this is possible. i tried recording the marcos but i am not...

Forward multiple emails
I am trying to pull together several emails from multiple sources and forward them out with a new email cover letter. I am trying to avoid forwarding each email separately. I want the emails to arrive together with the new email giving a summary of each. Select all the messages and press Forward. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Hendrix" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3bbf01c48f9d$4aabd870$a301280a...

diable command button based on field value
I have a command button which I would like to disable based on the following rules: If A = 1 then button is disabled If B = 2 then button is enabled Where you put the code depends on how the form works. If this needs to be checked for each record, use the form current event: If A = 1 Then Me.Button.Enabled = False ElseIf B = 2 Then Me.Button.Enabled = True End If But, what if A is not 1 and B is not 2? -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "barrynichols@gmail.com" wrote: > I have a command button which I would like to disable based on the >...

automatically sizing text with graphs
hi, is there a way to make the text in my charts size proprotionally with the graphs when i move them to another location (eg: a different sheet or chart)....I seem to have a problem with the way the graphs shrink but the text retaining their original size after i move them. -- Shoque ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shoque's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36320 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=566948 Right-click on the axis labels and choose Format Axis. Go to the Fon...

how do i create a quiz using excel?
hey guys...i badly need to make a quiz using excel,,,i got no clue how to do it. the quiz will be a simple one, no drop downs and should display the scores after the quiz is taken.... please help! Andruu, What type of quiz are you looking to create? What format are the answers? Numbers? Text? One suggestion..... 1. Add questions *What is 2 x 2?* 2. Assign cells for the user to insert their answers. (format cells as text/numbers etc) *Cell: B2* 3. Either in hidden cells, or on a seperate sheet, put the correct answers 4. Assign a point value for each correct answer (can be different for ...

Creating a new document from a multiple paged Excel document
Can I save only one page of an existing Excel multiple page document? If so, how? Thanks to anyone that can take the time to answer/instruct. Right-click the sheet tab that you want, and hit Move or Copy. Choose "Create a copy" and then, from the dropdown, choose "new book". **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ ******************************** "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBBDECC6-2432-41D4-99F2-C1EF10B1EC1F@microsoft.com... > Can I save only one page of...

displaying negative values
how do I hide the display of negative numbers? =if(A1<0,"",A1) HTH Regards from Brazil Marcelo "cfuller" escreveu: > how do I hide the display of negative numbers? Hi, That will work if cell A1 has a formula in it. If negative numbers are just typed in, you can use conditional formatting. Highlight the range of cells you want to format. Go to Format > Conditional Formatting... Enter cell value is less than 0. Click the Format... button and select Color: and then click the white icon. HTH -- Ken Hudson "Marcelo" wrote: > =if(A1<0,"&qu...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

Creating a Word document from an ASP.NET application
Hello, I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can be used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server without Office on it) to create a Word document based on a template (.dot) that is used only for the bookmarks properties (replaced momentarily with a personnal values). Best Regards, On Jun 21, 1:34=A0pm, "Bruno MAIGNAN" <bruno.maig...@ca-atlantica.fr> wrote: > Hello, > I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can= be > used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server witho...

Multiple e-mail account in MS Outlook 2003
I have 4 e-mail accounts set up (all from the same server) and can send from all accounts but I only receive mail for the default account. Any suggestions? Does each account use the same account properties? (e.g. same mailbox name, userid, and password.) "Crazy Squaw" <Crazy Squaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78F4A600-8A92-4011-8E4C-6094A77DEF4A@microsoft.com... >I have 4 e-mail accounts set up (all from the same server) and can send >from > all accounts but I only receive mail for the default account. Any > suggestions? ...

Nesting? How do I create a table to reference?
Tried to nest more than 8 componets but it did not work. Any help on creating a table to reference it would be appreciated. Never done it before. Tried the Excel help, and it was worthless. Here is my original post that explains more: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=498860 -- mcr1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mcr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15496 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498905 ok you have a two column table.starting in the lh column you...

parameter values not valid #3
keep getting a window each time I try and save a new task (Outlook 2000) it says: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid" I just set up Outllook, and can't figure out why it would do this. ...

Creating a menu for an MFC Application
Continuing my efforts to understand how to use Visual C++ (in Visual Studio 2008) to create a Windows application, I've come as far as creating a menu. I haven't been able to find a book that covers the current version of Visual C++, so am using an older book about Version 4 for general guidance. I've created a menu. At that stage, the book says to associate the menu with a class (using the Class Wizard). The method described doesn't apply to the new version of C++. So far, I haven't been able to find how to associate a menu with a class. Can anyone provide some help...

Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template
I am using excel 2003. Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - xlt. To create a document I just do new -> blank document. How can i fix this? thanks Tools>Options>Transition. Save Excel Files As. Change to MS Excel Workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:54:26 -0600, "Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote: >I am using excel 2003. >Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - >xlt. >To create a document I just do new -> blank document. > >How...

create automessages if user leaves the company
Hi I have the following problem. There is a user which temporary leaves the company and come back to an unspecified date. All mails which sent to this user are forwarded to an other user who take the taks in absence of him. In behalf of security the user is disabled, that means a rule or "out of office assistent" doesn't work to inform customers that this user come back on an unspecified date and the other take his tasks. Is there a possipility to configure an automatic out of office and keep the possipility to forward the mails to the other user in exchange 2k3 ? Thanks...

How to determine the closed value?
There is a number 14 in cell A1, and there is a list of number under column B, for example, 8, 11, 16, 18, 21 I would like to determine the value within the list, which is closest to 14, and 16 should be returned in cell A2. 8, 12, 16, 18, 21 I would like to determine the value within the list, which is closest to 14, and because 14 is between 12 and 16, then I prefer the larger number, and 16 should be returned in cell A2. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it in Excel? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Hi Eric, this should do it: =INDEX($B$1:$B$5,L...

print multiple attachments outlook 2007
How do I print multiple attachments to an email in outlook 2007 without selecting each one individually? File-> Print...-> select option: Print attached files This will of course print the message itself as well. In order to print only the attachments or a selection of your attachments in one go, you'll need a printing add-in. Some are listed here; http://www.howto-outlook.com/tag/printing -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlo...