creating a chart

I am trying to create a column chart on Excel displaying
Years VS. $ in Billions.  The problem is that I only want
one column which will display the amount in Billions.  I
want the columns to be labeled by year on the horizontal
axis.

For example:
Years  $ in billions
1990   200
1991   215
1992   220
1993   450
1994   520

When I select the range to be graphed, I highlight both
columns but then I get to columns and on the horizontal
axis its labled 1,2,3,4 etc. instead of the years....how
do I make it so it graphs the amount in Billions but it
labels the correct year underneath?  Does anyone know
how???????
0
anonymous (74722)

Remove the heading from the Years column, select the cells, and click
the Chart Wizard button. (An empty cell at the top left makes it easier
for Excel to create the column chart correctly.)

Jon Peltier has a webs site with lots of charting information, including
a page on setting up the data:

   http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Charting101.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Inserting Data set into chart
I was wondering if there is anyway in Excel XP to add the data set used to create a pie chart into the chart window. Thanks in Advance Nelson Not quite, but you can come close. Check the 'data table' capability of an XL chart or, since a data table is very limited in its flexibility, see Custom Chart Table http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <7F1EB9F5-5D18-4AED-99A2-4B9903234E9D@microsoft.com>, =?Utf...

How to creat new list by subtraction
Hello All, I'm new to Excell 2007 from Quattro Pro. I have two spread sheet mailing lists: (1) Master list. (2) Recently Mailed list (subset of master list). I would like to subtract-out (consolidate by removal) the recently mailed list from the Master list, leaving me with a new list of yet-to-be-mailed names. How you Excell fokes do that? Many thanks, Maggie One play which can deliver this .. Assume source lists are in identically structured sheets: Master, Subset in cols A and B, data from row1 down, with key col = col A (eg: unique ID #s) In another sheet, titled: Balance (...

In Publisher 2003, how do you create a check box?
I need to figure out how to create a form field in Publisher where I can create a check box without having to make little square boxes. lferguson wrote: > I need to figure out how to create a form field in Publisher where I can > create a check box without having to make little square boxes. Take a look at the Wingdings font. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org/ ...

Help required in Excel Charting
Friends, Please refer to the attached Sheet. I have some data in " data available". Its something like, say fro this km to this km, the # of birds observed is this much. And I need to generate a chart, that appears as in " Chart I need" I have used a scatter plot here using the data I copy into " How arrange the data". I have these questions. 1) I need a chart like what I have shown. 2) Is copying the data into the second sheet and charting based on th data inthe second sheet the only option available? 3)If yes, what is the alternative? 4) If no, I want to ...

Creating a Artificial Count Variable...for Interpolating
Hi, I have an enormous worksheet that I'm working with. Here' s a very small part of it (immigration data): A B C D 1 lag_year total_stock afghan_stock argentina_stock 2 1996 21631601 26988 97422 3 1997 23526859 4 1998 25422116 5 1999 27317374 6 2000 29212631 7 2001 31107889 8 2002 31916574 9 2003 32725260 10 2004 33533945 11 2005 34279584 48093 185144 As you can see I have data from 1996 and 2005 and want to interpolate the values in between. Now this matrix is 573x20...

Excel Macros: Creating, positioning and renaming a sheet
I am trying to create a macro that does the following: 1- Creates a new sheet 2- Places the new sheet at the end (extreme right) all all existing sheets 3- Reads the data written in the cell above the active cell (i.e. cell that was active when the macro was run), and renames the new sheet to that text string. For instance, if 1- there are 5 existing sheets - 1,2,3,4 and 5 (in that order L to R) 2- the button to run the macro is on cell C5 of sheet 1 3- cell C4 has data "aloha" then, if I hit the button: a new sheet called aloha should be created to the right of sheet 5 I think the...

creating a drop down list #2
I would like to create a list of drop downs for a single cell but im a novice and don't know how to do that or where to look for help.Please help Brian The simplest way: Create your list of drop down items on your worksheet eg in cells Z1 down to Z10 Then in say cell A1 from the Toolbar Data > Validation - in the allow box select List which will open anothe box Source: enter in the box =$Z$:$Z$10 and click OK Click on the arrow to the right of A1 and your drop down list will display your items for selection. You can of course create your list of items anywhere on your worksheet ...

VBA code to create multiple charts in a single Excel sheet
Hi, I need to create a macro in Access which creates a report in an excel sheet. The excel sheet needs to contain a number of sheets (Sheet 1,Sheet 2,Sheet 3....).Inside each Sheet around 9 charts have to be displayed. Please can somebody help me with some vba code for the same. Thanks, Sobha ...

chart Label text referencing worksheet cell value
I have a very simple bar chart that I want to display the values and the percentages of those values. For some reason, the percentage option is disabled under chart options, so i thought I would use a label instead, and send the calculation to it so it is dynamic. Sounds simple right? Wrong! I can only pass raw text into the label: Selection.Characters.Text = "100%" the following does not work, and the label disappears: .Selection.Characters.Text = Sheets("tbl_Voids").Range("A6794").Value is there a way of doing this? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com htt...

Cake recipe for creating a toolbox
Hi, I'm pretty new to vc++ and mfc, I've created a couple of simple test applications, now I'm creating a more sophisticated app. Let's take a reference point for example, Photoshop. I want to implement in my application a toolbox like dialog. To be more specific, a dialog similar to the layers view or colors view of photoshop. For now, I'll be satisfied if I can create a dialog that is bounded withing my main frame, has toolwin style and is modeless. Does it need to be associated with a doc/view? I know it is a pretty basic question, but I'm stuck... Thanks a lot ...

"Timeline" chart
I have some data that I would like to make a "timeline" style report. Is there an easy way to do this? Example: |----date1-----| |--date2--| |--------date3---------| Matthew Jon Peltier has links to several pages with Gantt chart instructions: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html Matthew wrote: > I have some data that I would like to make a "timeline" style report. > > Is there an easy way to do this? > > Example: > > |----date1-----| |--date2--| |--------date3---------| > -- Debra D...

Create an Ax file in a dll?
Hi, I have a requirement to use an ocx file in my c#. If I add the registered control through the toolbar in a Windows form, i can easily use the object. Visual Studio creates a File in the References called AxNameLib and I use this like any other object. However, I need to be able to do the same thing from a dll. I added the newly created file into a DLL but when I attempt to run the library I get the following error: ActiveX control 'b92e478a-add0-40b5-895e-f0d95c81609c' cannot be instantiated because the current thread is not in a single-threaded apartment. If thi...

Creating hyperlinks in documents
I am a teacher. I've created a template for a daily planner. I want to create hyperlinks to items in my daily plans. Some items are web-based, others are documents on my hard drive. I want to be able to click on the planner item and automatically open up the document. Is there a way to do this? Thanks SO much in advance for any help you can provide. What application is your planner in? Assuming this is Word, use the Insert | Hyperlink dialog to add links to both webpages and documents on your hard drive. klbya@officeformac.com wrote: > I am a teacher. I've created a template fo...

"FootPrint" vs. bar Chart
I would like to create a chart similar to a bar chart, except that instead of a bar, I want to use a symbol. For example, for 5,000 units I would like to see a series of footprint symbols going up to the 5,00 axis line instaed of the standard bar. Is there any way to do this? I am running Win 2000 and using Office 2000-soon to be upgraded to Office 2003. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks to all! paul2833 Wrote: > I would like to create a chart similar to a bar chart, except that > instead of > a bar, I want to use a symbol. For example, for 5,000 units I w...

LEVEY-JENNINGS CHARTS ON EXCEL
Does anyone know the function of creating a levey-jennings chart on Excel? Does this help: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "whoakj" <whoakj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19D61FB6-AD18-4B0F-BFEE-EBEDC76C6692@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know the function of creating a levey-jennings chart on Excel? ...

creating a formula that looks at the value of another cell and uses that value as the row value for for a referenced cell
Seems simple enough, but I have no idea how to do this. Here's an example: =IF(ROW(A3)<AO$1,'Page2'!$A?,""), where the question marks denotes the row number, the value of which, I want to get from another cell altogether. For example,say cell B1 had the value of 1000 and I wanted to use that value as my row number in the above formula so something like =IF(ROW(A3)<AO$1,'Page2'!$A(value from B1),"") = =IF(ROW(A3)<AO $1,'Page2'!$A1000,"") Thanks, K Try: =IF(ROW(A3)<AO$1,INDIRECT("Page2!$A"&B1),&...

How to create a scatter chart with 2 "X" values with common "Y"s
I Need to create a chart with lots of horizontal curves at different Y values. there are 128 to be precise and I would prefer not to create each as an individual series unless ... is there a way to copy a series mapping it tonew cells? (There are also a few diagonal curves so a bar chart wont work.) Thanks! Just copy the cells from your spreadsheet that contain your data series, then select the chart, Edit/ Paste Special, and choose the relevant options, including "new series". -- David Biddulph "M_LeDuc" <M_LeDuc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

How do I create my own design sets in Publisher?
I have a coporate template that I would like to use as a Publication Design. I'm importing a lot of Word documents and Master Pages are not global. Is there anyway to create your own design and save it globally (like you can color schemes) for when you can't use a pre-designed Set? Maybe this will help: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA101858851033.aspx?pid=CH100743501033 -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDE64C13-E068-4CFF-98C4-FFDDE3E83D89@microsoft....

how to create a new sheet in the workbook?
danial Do you mean via the Insert menu, Worksheet or via VBA code Sheets.Ad -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com And a couple more manual ways: Rightclick on the worksheet tab and select Insert. Then choose the type of sheet you want to insert. Tools|Customize|Commands Tab|Insert Category drag the "insert worksheet" icon to your favorite toolbar and click on it when you want a new worksheet (or two). danial wrote: -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

creating folders in crm
Dear All, Can anybody please tell me how to create public folders and sub folders which are accessed in Microsoft CRM 3.0.We are using Microsoft CRM web client.Please let me know ASAP. I am not sure if you can access the folders instead CRM as part of CRM folders but you can use "sitemap" and create new area in webclient. Thats one way to link to different web pages or sharepoint. /Aamir ...

Determining if a chart is selected
Is there any way (property) to determine if an embedded chart on a sheet is selected or if it exists? Or is the best way to try access the ActiveChart and catch the error. We have to make sure that the ActiveChart, if it exists, is Deselected before performing a certain operation and we only want to Deselect it if it is, in fact, selected. Any info this would be appreaciated. Thanks. Roy Trapping the error if Activechart doesn't yield anything is the quickest way to do it. You could, of course, start with the selection and loop to check if it is a chart (chartobject?) or a workboo...

pie charts automatically exclude zero values
I have a range based on which a pie chart is shown. I do not want the cells containing zero values in the range to be considered or shown in the pie chart automatically. How do I do this This link shows how you might set this up: http://www.cellmatrix.net/index.php/pie_chart_exclude_zero_values/ -- John Mansfield cellmatrix.net "Cris" wrote: > I have a range based on which a pie chart is shown. I do not want the cells > containing zero values in the range to be considered or shown in the pie > chart automatically. How do I do this ...

Missing type specifier DAO WorkspacePtr when creating COM class
Hi, I am using #import to create a COM class from a DLL that references the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.dll but when I try to compile the code, my executable will not build because of the missing storage class or type specifier WorkspacePtr (error C2501). I have been unable to find a header file that defines this type. Any suggestions? Thanks, Clive Clive Taylor wrote: > Hi, > > I am using #import to create a COM class from a DLL that references the > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.dll but when I try > to com...

Creating list removes cell merges
Excel 2003...there doesn't seem to be any warning that cell merges are lost when turning ranges into lists. Is this the defactor norm, or is there a way to turn on such warnings I don't see a way to get the warning using the menus. You could convert a range into a list using a macro and then you could inspect that range for merged cells first. Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim resp As Long Dim myListObj As ListObject Dim Rng As Range Set wks = ActiveSheet Set Rng = Selection With wks If Rng.MergeCells = True _ ...

Looping through records and creating ID field
Hi there - I'm doing a database that will need to link with a Paradox database. To accomplish this I need to make a certain field in Access. I basically have a table that contains a persons first name and surname. I need to create another field called ID Make that takes the first six characters of the first name, adds in a hyphen and then adds in the first character of the surname. I can do this easily with a query like: Left([First Name],6) & "-" & Left([Surname],1) For example the name William Gates would be turned into: Willia-G Now here comes ...