count data in column

Hi, I am using excel97 and trying to create a chart that has 5 columns
of data in it a,b,c,d,e.  I an trying to make a chart
only for certain data in column a and column d.

The data that I key off of is in column d and begins with s/
how can I count the number of s/ in column d?
how can I create a chart that shows both and only that data
that begins with s/ and the data in column a?

---

In cell F2 (I assume row 1 has headers) enter this formula:

=LEFT(D2,2)

and fill it down as far as you need. select any cell in the table, and
apply an autofilter (Date menu > Filter > Autofilter). Now in the
dropdown in cell F1, select s/. This only shows the rows in which the
cell in column D starts with "s/". By default Excel charts only show
visible data (change it by selecting Options from the Tools menu), so
now your chart only shows the desired rows.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/
_______

zchazman < wrote:
> Hi, I am using excel97 and trying to create a chart that has 5 columns
> of data in it a,b,c,d,e.  I an trying to make a chart
> only for certain data in column a and column d.
>
> The data that I key off of is in column d and begins with s/
> how can I count the number of s/ in column d?
> how can I create a chart that shows both and only that data
> that begins with s/ and the data in column a?
>

> ---

if cell is text move left one column

Data migration - Adventure Works

Sorting on Column headers
I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I really need to save time with this project if possible. Thanks!:) --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the > Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in > chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I > really need to save time with this project if possib...

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Character Length in a column
I have a column where every cell must have 14 characters. Lets say have the name Angel. I need 9 more charcters. Next cell down have the word cake. I need 10 more charcters.How do I automatciall insert the spaces I need to have 14 charcters. HELP PLEASE!!!!! GOIN NUTS ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements One way: Do you care about what characters are added? I'l...

Freeze the side column/top row & scroll others
what is the function to set (lock in or freeze) the first column and / or top row of a spreadsheet, so the words and numbers remain in the same place as you scroll the other columns and rows. (so you can add more columns..yet keep the main information in the first column/row) Freeze Panes..... In older versions of Excel, it is under Window. In 2007 version of Excel, it is under View. You first select a cell, then activate the command. Excel uses the selected cell's upper left corner to define the freeze point. Play with it. You can also Unfreeze panes that were fro...

How can I count unique values in a query in the report footer 12-16-07
I have a report that gives me the count of the status of individuals . This works fine as long is there is only one record in the query (in my query there is one record per month). When I query 12 months (individuals may appear in various months) it counts each record of an individual. For Example in a query considering 12 months for a widow Jones it may count her 12 times and for a survivor named Smith may count her 8 times: Widows 12 Survivors 8 I would like to add a count in the report footer that will tell me how many unique individuals I have in the report (Example widows: Tot...

SQL Statement trying to call column not specified in statement
I'm having some trouble with a sql statement within my sub. For some reason, it wants to reference CLPROPSTRTNMBER when I specifically asked for CLPROPSTRTNMBR (which is the correct column name). The code is below. I cannot figure out why it's trying to pull this reference. Public Sub D2REDataCall() Call DBConnect sql = "SELECT CLMAILADDRESS,CLMAILCITY,CLMAILSTATE,CLMAILZIP,CLPROPSTRTNMBR,CLPROPSTREETADDR,CLPROPSTREETUNIT,CLPROPCITY,CLPROPSTATE,CLPROPZIP,CLPROPCOUNTY,CLCREDITREPORTDT,CLRATEEFFECTIVEDT,CLCLOSEDT,CLTOTALLOANAMT,CLINTERESTRATE,CLTILAPR,CLTERM FROM " & tblC...

combination clustered column and stacked bar chart
I have data concerning the repair turn-around for three products over several months. There are two components to the turn-around time for any item, i.e., actual labor time and wait time. I want to graph this as a clustered column, each cluster representing the data for a given month and each bar in a cluster representing one of the products. Now for the tricky part: I want each of the bars to be stacked showing the relationship between the actual labor time and the wait time. John, I don't know if I'm fully understanding what you want. Possibly these two examples can hel...

Source data, in Chart Menu, is grey and not accessible.
I set up a pivot table and designed a chart, saved and closed out of the workbook. Upon returning to work on this project, when selecting the chart menu to work with my source data, the source data is grey and not accessible. What might be causing this and can I correct it? It's a pivot chart. As soon as it's created, it's linked permanently to the pivot table, and you cannot change the source data. you cannot add more data that's not in the pivot table to the chart, nor can you remove data that is in the pivot table from the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft...

Record Count Help
I have a form to track Dispute Calls that come into our call center. Each call is an individual record saved to a table. However, there are instances where I'll need multile records to count as 1 dispute. This way if a client calls 5 times about the same dispute, the query or report will count it at 1 and not 5. I thought about making a seperate textbox to manually input a number and have the query or report search for unique instances of records. But I'm not sure how to do that either. Assistance please? Thanks. You might want to include a field "DisputeID&quo...

Missing Data Options
I am trying to use Tools - Options - Chart. I want to use the "not Plotted" option. When I click on it my chart does not change. This happens after I've selected the chart and then trying to make these changes. What am I doing wrong? I want to create a chart that ignores missing data, and gives me a trend line based on the data I have. I've had my nose in my Excel "bible" but can't find the answer. I greatly appreciate any tips. Jim -- jimsmith888 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jimsmith888's Profile: http...

Extracting data and returing to colums.
I am about half way there, but I need some more help. These are web inquires that parsed out in the same colum and repeat th same way all down the page. I want to be able to use the fields as guidelines to pull the dat adjacent to it and sent to the new colum. In a way it is transposin all the data, but I need to pull all the first names of these peopl and have them align in the first colum. Same for Last name, business etc. So if the information that I have come across like this in th spreadsheet, I just want the customer infomation to move to th appropriate colums like the third example...

how do I convert Mozilla thunderbird data to outlook 2010?
Converted from an old Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird years ago. Like new Outlook and would like to switch back. Can't seem to see a conversion utility -- Mishka I suspect you export from thunderbird to a format Outlook can import, eg csv (assuming pop mail) "Mishka" <Mishka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:509C3250-167B-4FFF-9E07-5E5A8C625AA8@microsoft.com... > Converted from an old Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird years ago. Like new > Outlook and would like to switch back. Can't seem to see a conversion > utility > -- >...

Graphing daily data
I am trying to graph daily data for a month in Excel 2007 that groups like days (Saturdays, Sundays, etc) in the same series, while still showing individual values and dates. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Use your worksheet to pull the relevant data together into a series. Do the data manipulation in your worksheet, then the chart plots the series which you have generated in the worksheet. -- David Biddulph "Fozzie" <Fozzie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB004134-AD88-434C-9DAD-BFE4CB2FD058@microsoft.com... >I am trying to graph daily data f...

Pivot Table Data field
Hi, I am importing the data from Ms Access, and creating Pivot table. Pivot Table Columns Row------------------------------ | Data | Row, Data and Columns have drop down manus where you can select and unselect values. In Row and Columns when if i unselect any values in drop down menu and go back values are still there. However, With Data when i unselect any values it vanish i am unable to retrive it back. Please any one let me know if i unselect any values from the Data dropdown menu they still stay there. Regards, -- khansab143 -------------------------------------------...