Copy & Paste Chart

I can Copy & Paste an Excel Chart from one Workbook to another.

However, another User, when copying an Excel chart, and Pasting
into another Workbook, gets the Chart essentially as a "Snapshot"
with "EMBED".

Ideas???

TIA - Bob
0
BobBarnes (48)

What's your question? You don't say what you're looking for. What does the
formula bar say in parentheses after "EMBED"?

You can copy the chart as a picture: hold Shift while selecting the Edit
menu, choose Copy Picture, and choose the On Screen and Picture options.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Bob Barnes" <BobBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can Copy & Paste an Excel Chart from one Workbook to another.
>
> However, another User, when copying an Excel chart, and Pasting
> into another Workbook, gets the Chart essentially as a "Snapshot"
> with "EMBED".
>
> Ideas???
>
> TIA - Bob

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/19/2006 12:29:45 PM
Jon,

I'll have to check the Formula Bar later today when the User arrives on
Second Shift.

When I copy-&-paste, and get an editable Chart, the Formula Bar
is blank.

Will reply around 6:00 PM Eastern time today.

Thank you,
Bob

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> What's your question? You don't say what you're looking for. What does the
> formula bar say in parentheses after "EMBED"?
>
> You can copy the chart as a picture: hold Shift while selecting the Edit
> menu, choose Copy Picture, and choose the On Screen and Picture options.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Bob Barnes" <BobBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can Copy & Paste an Excel Chart from one Workbook to another.
> >
> > However, another User, when copying an Excel chart, and Pasting
> > into another Workbook, gets the Chart essentially as a "Snapshot"
> > with "EMBED".
> >
> > Ideas???
> >
> > TIA - Bob

0
BobBarnes (48)
9/19/2006 1:54:02 PM
Jon,

Here's the Formula Bar on the "Snapshot Chart"...
=EMBED("Excel.Chart.8","")

Thank you - Bob

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> What's your question? You don't say what you're looking for. What does the
> formula bar say in parentheses after "EMBED"?
>
> You can copy the chart as a picture: hold Shift while selecting the Edit
> menu, choose Copy Picture, and choose the On Screen and Picture options.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Bob Barnes" <BobBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can Copy & Paste an Excel Chart from one Workbook to another.
> >
> > However, another User, when copying an Excel chart, and Pasting
> > into another Workbook, gets the Chart essentially as a "Snapshot"
> > with "EMBED".
> >
> > Ideas???
> >
> > TIA - Bob

0
BobBarnes (48)
9/19/2006 3:55:02 PM
I actually expected to see this:

=EMBED("MSGraph.Chart.8","")

meaning a Microsoft Graph Chart object (the one used in PowerPoint and Word)
was embedded in Excel. I honestly don't know how to embed a regular Excel
chart in such a way as to display this kind of thing in the formula bar.

- Jon
-------

> Jon,
>
> Here's the Formula Bar on the "Snapshot Chart"...
> =EMBED("Excel.Chart.8","")
>
> Thank you - Bob
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> What's your question? You don't say what you're looking for. What does
>> the
>> formula bar say in parentheses after "EMBED"?
>>
>> You can copy the chart as a picture: hold Shift while selecting the Edit
>> menu, choose Copy Picture, and choose the On Screen and Picture options.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Bob Barnes" <BobBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I can Copy & Paste an Excel Chart from one Workbook to another.
>> >
>> > However, another User, when copying an Excel chart, and Pasting
>> > into another Workbook, gets the Chart essentially as a "Snapshot"
>> > with "EMBED".
>> >
>> > Ideas???
>> >
>> > TIA - Bob

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/19/2006 9:13:37 PM
Jon - Thank you.

As an Access Programmer, my first thought was...
Is that such a thing as "Tools - References" in Excel??

"Something" must be "unusaul" about his Excel installed.

As always, thank you.
Bob

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> I actually expected to see this:
>
> =EMBED("MSGraph.Chart.8","")
>
> meaning a Microsoft Graph Chart object (the one used in PowerPoint and Word)
> was embedded in Excel. I honestly don't know how to embed a regular Excel
> chart in such a way as to display this kind of thing in the formula bar.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Bob Barnes" <BobBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon,
> >
> > Here's the Formula Bar on the "Snapshot Chart"...
> > =EMBED("Excel.Chart.8","")
> >
> > Thank you - Bob
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> What's your question? You don't say what you're looking for. What does
> >> the
> >> formula bar say in parentheses after "EMBED"?
> >>
> >> You can copy the chart as a picture: hold Shift while selecting the Edit
> >> menu, choose Copy Picture, and choose the On Screen and Picture options.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "Bob Barnes" <BobBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
BobBarnes (48)
9/19/2006 10:04:04 PM
Not sure if this helps but I can get =EMBED("Excel.Chart.8","")
when copying a chartobject from xl2000 to xl2003. But I do have to have
both versions open. Simply saving the older version and opening in xl2k3
allowed for normal copy/paste.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

In our scenario, both Workbooks are Excel 2003.
Interesting.

Thank you - Bob

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Not sure if this helps but I can get =EMBED("Excel.Chart.8","")
> when copying a chartobject from xl2000 to xl2003. But I do have to have
> both versions open. Simply saving the older version and opening in xl2k3
> allowed for normal copy/paste.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> Jon Peltier wrote:
> > I actually expected to see this:
> >
> > =EMBED("MSGraph.Chart.8","")
> >
> > meaning a Microsoft Graph Chart object (the one used in PowerPoint and Word)
> > was embedded in Excel. I honestly don't know how to embed a regular Excel
> > chart in such a way as to display this kind of thing in the formula bar.
> >
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > http://PeltierTech.com
> > _______
> >

> > "Bob Barnes" <BobBarnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Jon,
> >>
> >>Here's the Formula Bar on the "Snapshot Chart"...
> >>=EMBED("Excel.Chart.8","")
> >>
> >>Thank you - Bob

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
BobBarnes (48)

2 axis column chart
Anybody who knows how to make a column chart with 2 different valu axis' -- MartinN ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MartinNT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27190 Make the chart with two data series Right click on one of the data series in the chart; select Format Data Series, open the Axis tab; click Secondary axis It needs to data series. It you have only one then you need to reproduce the values in another column and make a...

charts #14
I have an excel spreadsheet that has the name of a class, the date it was held, and the number of students in that class. I am trying to make a chart and it displays the date of the class and the number of students okay but then the name of the classes are all messed up. What can I do to make all the data display in a coherent manner? A few ideas come to mind. Create a bubble chart. Put the name on the x axis, the date on the y axis and the number of students would be the bubble size. Of course, in a bubble chart the x-axis cannot contain text. So, you will get 1, 2, etc. on the ...

Charting a flight logbok
Hi, I have simple flight logbook where every flight is written with the date in column A and flight times from column J and outwards. There are several flights per day and therefore several equal dates in column A. I do not sort A, I just write flights in the order they happen. I'm trying to make one chart that shows total flight time last 30 days always counting backwards from last entry. And one chart showing total flight time last 365 days with one column for each month and one column for the total of the last 365 days. I can make this manually but I would like to make this dyn...

PIVOT TABLE CHARTS
How can I stop a chart reformatting when I refresh a pivot table This is a known problem with PivotCharts. There's information in the following MSKB article, which suggests recording a macro as you apply the formatting: XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904 -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html "EOCLCV" wrote: > How can I stop a chart reformatting when I refresh a pivot table How can I solve this problem if I am using the PivotChart webpart in Sharepo...

copy from workbook to new workbook
Problem when I copy and paste to a new worksheet the column with th date changes from year 2004 to 2008. Any ideas why? :rolleyes -- Nesi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Nesia's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1534 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27040 Nesia Hello. I am not entirely sure why you are having that problem but here is an idea. The default date system in Excel for calculating serial numbers for dates (which is how Excel operates) starts on Jan 1st 1900. H...

Colours change unexpectedly for pie charts and graphs in Excel 200
Hi I have a user who is using Office 2003 and namely Excel who is has created pie-charts and graphs. At the time of creation the colours are correct, however, when saved and reopened the colours alter. Also if the user logs off then logs on the colours appear correct briefly. The file is in on a shared server and other users also see it in the corrupt colour state. Resolutions tried are, reset the colour palette, checked for a file in XLStart folder, checked if macros are present. Ran detect and repair, installed service packs. I would be grateful for any advice or if others have had ...

Copy data into a NEW worksheet
I have a workbook that the user runs one macro that imports a txt file to one of the worksheets, then another macro that imports data to another worksheet. There is some various math etc going on, but what I would like to do is in a 3rd worksheet have the text and data be combined into a document that I can print as a single page. I can not figure out how sum or copy the exact data in a cell range? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Krefty You don't provide enough detail of what you have and what you want to have for someone to know what to help you with. If you wish, s...

Need to Prevent a protected sheet from being copied?!?
I have a spread sheet that contains sensitive pricing details not to b viewed by the users, but needed due to being referenced in variou equations. This file is to be used by multiple persons who will get this vi email, and then enter data into unlocked cells in order to get a fina 'price'. I have protected both the sheets and the workbook. BUT I can still hilight and copy individual protected sheets and the paste them into a new workbook at which point it is completel unprotected. Ultimately I need to email this to others. Is there a way to prevent this copying and pasting? Thanks...

Need help setting up a leave copy on server
I have an exchange server. I'm trying to setup an option where I can leave a copy on server, so that the client can recieve the same E-mail on the website and on his computer at work. How can I configure that option on outlook meanwhile having an exchange server? Don't use a .pst file and the mail will remain in the exchange mailbox. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, ...

How suppress chart points
I want to suppress chart points for a cumulative line graph of monthly telephone costs where the particular month's values have not yet been entered but there is a formula in the cell which currently returns null but will return the value once it is posted on the accountmaster sheet. Hi, Use NA(). The will cause the data marker to be omitted. Note the line will be interpolated between valid data points. Something like this, =IF( <test> , <value> , NA() ) Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "sarcastix" <sarcastix@di...

combining chart types #2
Hi all, I am trying to create a chart showing pre-kindergarten student enrollment in 1975 & 2000 for about 15 countries. Countries will be on Y-axis. I want to create a bar chart that will be divided in half, with 1975 on the left side and 2000 on the right side, each side showing 0-100%. I know how to do this with a 100% stacked bar. What I'm having problems with is this....for 1975, I have just one percentage (enrollment) for each country. For 2000 I have data for 3 & 4 year olds. What I'd like to do with make the left side (1975) a regular bar chart and the right si...

Charting with dynamic data
All, I am creating a chart which is based on multiple columns worth of data. The problem is that the amount of rows changes and I have to be able to handle that programmaticaly. In other words, if the amount of rows was constant somewhere in my sub I would have something like: ..Chart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("NameGoesHere").Range("A2:A5, F2:H5") 'where the Range A2:A5 contains names that goes to label the X-axis. 'And F2:H5 represents the data for each name in A2:A5. No problem. However, I need that range to vary. I was hoping something like this ...

Paste Link Function
Is there a way to be able to copy the paste link function where the cell below automatically increments the cell number? (I.e. "=Monthly!$A$27" copy to cell below "=Monthly!$A$28") Thanks! Naive, If you mean you're copying that formula, take out the $ signs. That makes it a relative cell reference, not absolute as it now is. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "naiveprogrammer" <naiveprogrammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F603E98-21D2-42C7-9B94-89D203431164@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to be able to copy the past...

Is there a formula result that will not appear on a chart
I would like a chart that updates for daily sales statistics over the course of the month without dragging a formula, such that I enter the day's sales, and the chart updates for the new day (to be viewed against a target line). I do not want the chart to show the "zero" value for days which have not yet occured. I tried using a formula, but all formula results register on the chart (i.e. if the formula result is blank, or space, or a word, the chart plots a point at zero). I need it for a cummulative sales number day by day. Thanks! Jon Peltier has information on c...

Copy from Excel and pate into Word, automatically
Hello, I would like to create a button in Excel and this button is supposed to have the ability to copy cells which contains name and address, and paste it into a specific place in a specific file which has been opened in Word. Is this possible. Any help at all is much appreciated, thank you in advance. I have latest Excel and Word installed. Hi Frallan. Try the following... Option Explicit Sub PasteToWord() Dim AppWord As Word.Application Set AppWord = CreateObject("Word.Application") AppWord.Visible = True ' Change the range to suit your needs. S...

Copy a 2007 Word table into Excel
What is the most efficient way of copying a 2007 Word Table into excel? Excel 2007 seems to handle this differently than it did before. -- Thanks for the help More detail would help. What's happening when you try? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "tinks" <tinks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:998D16BE-4E16-4B4E-B428-ACA930976BE8@microsoft.com... > What is the most efficient way of copying a 2007 Word Table into excel? > Excel 2007 seems to handle this d...

Updating Chart Titles from Spreadsheet Cells
I'm using Excel 2002 and I want to be able to have the titles in my charts update based on entries in the associated spreadsheet. On a monthly basis I import data into a spreadsheet template that has a chart associated with it. It would be nice if the title block on the chart would update based on a cell in the spreadsheet. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi have a look at http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_chart_title/index. html HTH Frank > I'm using Excel 2002 and I want to be able to have the titles in my > charts update based on ...

Can I copy a worksheet with its page setup and print formats?
Is there a way to maintain the page setup and print formats when copying a worksheet? Our admin assistant wants to be able to set up the print margins, header/footer, page orientation, etc. one time and then make multiple copies of the worksheet within the same workbook. When you copy a worksheet (not just the cells but the entire worksheet) you get the same page setup. To copy a sheet just hold Ctrl down and drag the worksheet tab to the right or left. Or right click on the tab and select Move or Copy. -- Jim "MSSAC_QA" <MSSAC_QA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Charting with Difference indicator
Good morning all. Not quite sure how / if this one can be done. I have a series of charts that I use, that change when I add a new week (charting using the Offset function on Count/Counta) and my manager has asked me if it's possible to do this. When a number goes up, have it with an Up Arrow, and the number it went up. When it goes down, have it with a Down Arrow, and the number it went down. Eg. ----UP12----DOWN14----UP3----UP5 Is there a way to make this display on the chart? I can get the actual numbers displaying (eg 145, 157, 143, 146, 151) but not sure how I could get the actu...

Resize chart data label
Hi, I have chart data labels that are displaying as one line in Excel but push over into two lines when paste/linked into a PowerPoint slide. Is there some way to force the labels to stay on one line? And as a general matter, is it possible to manipulate the size of the box containing the data label at all? I can select it but can't seem to resize manually. I also looked for info on this in VBA help but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Kind regards, Don Don - You cannot resize a data label, an axis title, or a chart title, even though it looks like a...

Chart lines #2
Can I add a vertical line to depict the current day to a horizontal bar chart where the X axis is month/year? -- DMM I think you will find your answer here http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34522863-0250-419A-B627-0FB97C8DB202@microsoft.com... > Can I add a vertical line to depict the current day to a horizontal bar > chart > where the X axis is month/year? > -- > DMM ...

Can I obtain x values from y values on an Excel chart?
I've constructed an exponential curve, is there a function whereby I can enter new y values to obtain the corresponding x values, instead of having to print it off and read off manually? Many thanks from a novice -Helen Moore if Y=A*Exp(BX); then Ln(Y) - Ln(A) = BX or X= (Ln(Y) -Ln(A))/B Also remember you can use LOGEST or LINEST to extract the trendline coefficients into cells rather than copying them form equation on chart; see http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/ExponentialTrendline&%20LOGEST.htm http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm best wishes...

Using INDIRECT in named range for chart data series
I recently read a post that described how to use the indirect function to define named ranges for a chart series. I attempted to do the same, but still get a message from the data series editor that my formula contains an invalid reference. This is the formula for the series: =SERIES("Load",Data!Time,Data!Load,1) and Time is defined in the Data worksheet as: =INDIRECT(Data!$Q$10):INDIRECT(Data!$Q$11) Load is defined as: =INDIRECT(Data!$Q$6):INDIRECT(Data!$Q$7) Where the values in Q6, Q7, Q10, and Q11 refer to the desired starting and ending addresses of the seri...

Putting data tables with charts
I am wondering if anyone knows how to add a totaled table to the bottom of a chart. I know how to do the data table but my boss only wants the totals, not the other detailed information. I tried to do a copy/paste but it actually adds the information to the chart and I don't want the information added to the actual chart. Instead of a data table, you could use one of the alternative techniques that Tushar Mehta describes here: http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm Jaxxplace wrote: > I am wondering if anyone knows how to add a totaled table to the bott...

Help! Ungrouping Excel Charts --> EMF/WMF. Can't edit objects in 2007 (Freeform issue). Steve Rindsberg?
Hi, I am posting this again in a hope to get attention to my tricky problem Bob _________ Thanks Jon, Some consolotion, but no solution... :-) I am not doing any progress at all with this problem. Really need help!(Saw that Steve had beed in similar thread 1,5 yr ago) Regarding resulting EMF/WMF shapes, there seems to be a big difference between seeting the Shape Border to Solid manually compared to doing it through VBA or through a Chart Style ( I took a standard one). This is bizarre! Is there some way to emulate the manual action in the menu? i.e. something like: Application.Commandbar...