Controlling Chart formatting

Going mad - don't know if it is a general Excel chart problem o
specific to Macs (or my MAC?)

Various charts I have put together seem to change format at will
usually when I save the file or print it. Changes are usuall
restricted to font sizes of chart/data labels, sizes of text boxe
and sizes of pies. Not even consistent - for example a shee
containing 6 pies (printing on one page) will change the format an
display of 2 or 3 of the pies but not the rest even though all ar
derived from the same original so have the same formatting an
options

Any suggestions gratefully received

Apologies if this has been discussed here before
--------
Message sent via  www.excelforums.com

I've heard of this problem a lot, but I've rarely experienced it. I suspect it's because I
reformat practically every element in a chart. It seems that if you explicitly set many
formatting options in a chart, it is less prone to spontaneous changes. To prevent fonts from
readjusting, you could apply the suggestions on this page:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

AndrewL - ExcelForums.com wrote:

> Going mad - don't know if it is a general Excel chart problem or
> specific to Macs (or my MAC?).
>
> Various charts I have put together seem to change format at will -
> usually when I save the file or print it. Changes are usually
> restricted to font sizes of chart/data labels, sizes of text boxes
> and sizes of pies. Not even consistent - for example a sheet
> containing 6 pies (printing on one page) will change the format and
> display of 2 or 3 of the pies but not the rest even though all are
> derived from the same original so have the same formatting and
> options.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Apologies if this has been discussed here before.
> ---------
> Message sent via  www.excelforums.com

Inability to chart a logartihmic values
I have been working on some mathematical formulas and equations and am trying to chart them. However I need to be able to have a logarithmic axis for one set of the values and do not know how to obtain this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. To get a log scale, double click on an axis, click on the Scale tab of the Format Axis dialog that pops up, and check the Logarithmic Scale box. If you want to make the X axis into a log scale, make sure you have a scatter chart, not a line chart. The line chart treats the X values as nonnumeric categories, while the scatter chart treats them as ...

Errors tracking anything other than HTML formats
We are basically using desktop version CRM 3.0 and Outlook 2003. When tracking emails with anything other then HTML formats (images/Rich-text formats) we seem to have Outlook shutdown with no visible errors or the software will just freeze. We are not certain if it might be related to Word's Rich-text format though, but it causes us to usually shut down and restart outlook, worst cases reboot. We have install roll up 2 but it did not help. Roll up 3 is an improvement on some machine but still not consistent. Any help or suggestion on the following problems would be greatly apprecia...

Gantt Chart Task dependencies
Hello, I already have an Excel Gantt Chart, however I need to include dependencies in there (As you can define in MS Project) Has anyone a suggestion for me how I can get this in? You can either write a bunch of formulas to try to capture the constraints, or you can bite the bullet and use a software package (e.g., MS Project) that includes the capability you require. It is even possible to integrate the two, so that Project uses Excel data (don't ask me how, I've never tried with Project). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials an...

outlook2003 message format
I recently upgraded to outlook 2003. I don't see my message graphics or any pics at all in my messages. All I see are links to these pictures. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks Hi, i dont use 2003 but i have heard, that this is a security feature from 2003. It is not a bug it is a feature. >-----Original Message----- >I recently upgraded to outlook 2003. I don't see my >message graphics or any pics at all in my messages. All I >see are links to these pictures. Anyone have a fix for >this? >Thanks >. > sandy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Formulae for a score chart
I'm making a score sheet with results and the total result, but was wondering how I can make the position appear under the total (e.g First, second etc), in other words the formula. I'm sure there's a way it's just been a long day Thanks Nick There is rank; for example +RANK(B1,A1:A25,1) will show you where the value in B1 stands among values in A1:A25. the final argument ",1" is optional, but in this case makes it so that the lowest number has the "best" ranking. "Nick H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0...

PDFCReader Control
I have a form with a PDFCReader Control. I also have a listbox that is populated by pdf files in a specific folder. Users scan documents into this folder and the list is updated automatically. When the user single clicks on the list the clicked document previews in the PDFCReader Controls. This works well. The user can then select a location to copy the file, and this copy process works. I then would like to kill the file from the original location but since it is open in the viewer I get a windows error (as it should). Does anybody know how I can look through the pdf...

Keyboard shortcuts for Format Painter, Increase Indent?
I currently have a student who must work solely with keyboard shortcuts. Does anyone know of the keyboard equivalent for the Format Painter or the Increase Indent utility? You could follow the accelerator keys. Ctrl-c (shortcut to copy) select the receiving range alt-E (same as Edit on the worksheet menu bar) s (accelerator for paste _S_pecial t (accelerator for forma_t_s) enter alt-E,s,t,enter Alt-o,c,a,tab,tab got me to the indent box alt-o format c cells a alignment tab tab,tab to indent box. And Andy Brown once suggested this: ctrl-shift-P ...

custom control on modal dialog
Greetings. Have a custom control (a CStatic-derived class drawing on a Picture Control) that I cannot get to display on a pop-up dialog box. The strange thing is this: if I put it on a Dialog-based MFC application, it works fine. If I put it on a dialog that is called later (domodal or showwindow), the program crashes with an assertion failure on line 135 of afxwin2.inl. My question is what is the difference and how do I work around this? jorj Is it an ActiveX control? Is your control getting created properly? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Jordon Hofer" &...

QIF format
Anyone aware of software that converts an Excel worksheet to QIF format? >-----Original Message----- >Anyone aware of software that converts an Excel worksheet >to QIF format? >. yes, try http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/ it's a free Excel add-in that export/import data to/from QIF files ...

Problem adding a control
I'm trying to add a checkbox to a dialog. GetDlgItem(IDC_MY_CHECK) returns NULL and if I try to give it a member variable I get "An unsupported operation was attempted" in the DoDataExchange() function when I go to that dialog. What causes this? WinXP Pro SP2, VS6 SP6. Thanks, Drew Drew wrote: > I'm trying to add a checkbox to a dialog. GetDlgItem(IDC_MY_CHECK) returns > NULL > and if I try to give it a member variable I get "An unsupported operation > was attempted" > in the DoDataExchange() function when I go to that dialog. What cause...

Cannot change date format
We have CRM 4.0 installed, and I've been asked to change the Date Format displayed from US (mm/dd/yyyy) to UK (dd/mm/yyyy). Following the Settings -> Administration -> System Settings, and then the Formats tab I've changed the Current Format to "English (United Kingdom)" and this appears to show the Short Date in the correct format. If I then create a new Activity and set the date, it comes out 06/25/2008, which is not what I want. I've been in and tried to change the settings to, say, Gujerati (India) and although it saves this choice, it doesn't affect the ...

Pivot Chart
I have a 900,000 record database in Access and I use EXCEL pivot chart to query the database. It works wonderfully, except when I add additional fields to the database and I need to add these fields in the pivot chart, I have to start all over again. Isn't there a quick way to add a field to the pivot chart query ? Appreciate reply to SoonLeng_Lim@myrealbox.com Hi lsl, Go to the pivot table wizard, hit the back button a couple of times, click the get Data button. You are now in Microsoft Query. Just drag the fields you need to the results pane... -- Ed Ferrero http://edferrero.m6.n...

Chart Shows data wrong way around
Hi, I have this strange problem with a simple chart. Y Axis shows correct =A30.00 - and scaling upwards. X Axis is the problem. As you look at the chart the X axis displays the days correct 1 2 3 4 5 and so on. Now the problem is the actual bars read right to left, so day 1 has the bar over it for the last day and the last day has the bar for day 1. I am no way an Excel expert :) so if this is something very obvious then "opps" but any help is much appreciated on how to have them matching up correctly. I don't know why yours is backwards. If it is a horizontal bar chart, th...

how add static control into listbox control as its items
Hi, I am facing some typical problem. Here i need to add static control int to listbox control as its items. And i need to assign a unqiue id(Resource id)to those Static Controls using win32 api. Becuase i have to embedd this in to atl component. How can i solve this? plz suggest any solutons. -- Regards, RamakoteswaraRao Koti This is a tricky problem. But it only makes sense for active controls, such as CEdit, CComboBox, CButton (for radio buttons and check boxes), and similar active controls. You should not need to add a CStatic. What are you trying to accomplish (ther...

Cell Formatting of a Conditional Statement
I want to be able to change the background of a cell colour if a second condition is met - but for the background to remain unchanged if the first condition is met. So in the formula below, the background would be yellow if the 'c2' condition is satisfied. =if(c1>0,c1,c2) My actual formulae are much more complex but if someone can point me in the right direction in terms of principles that would be great 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell wil...

Formulas in custom number formatting allowed?
I need a quick way to change both calculated and data entry cells in a fairly large workbook into custom number formats based on whether they are integers or have up to 2 decimal places. The custom cell formats I would like to get working TOGETHER are: [=INT()]# #.## has Microsoft added anything to Excel to finally make this possible? The macros to do this seem to take a lot of time to work through the workbook. On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 23:45:26 -0700 (PDT), kgriff <kgriffee@gmail.com> wrote: >I need a quick way to change both calculated and data entry cells in a >fairly large wor...

Cell Formats
I want to limit the # of characters allowed in a cell to 11, regardless of what the user types in (less characters is fine). How can I do this? -- KKD Use Data Validation, and allow Text Length -> Less than or equal to -> 11. You can add information on the Error Alert tab to notify/prevent users from entering longer data. -- Paul - Paul ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul's Profile: 1697 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=192385 http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz Do you want a m...

Function or formula to add different formatted cells
Is there a way in which I can use a function or formula to add, multipl and/or divide cells which are formatted differently and get an en result? I am specifically needing to divide a general number by tim frames (hh:mm:ss) and multiplying by another general number, yet I hav no idea if that can be done. Help -- rcdunn200 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rcdunn2003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=138 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26894 Hi as a starting point: http://ww...

File format specification
Can anybody please recommend a document giving the detail of the ASCII file specification relating to the importation of data into EXCEL from an external application Thank you very much I'm not sure I understand your question. Wouldn't the specification be dependent upon the layout of the text file. And text files could have lots of different formats. Nick wrote: > > Can anybody please recommend a document giving the detail of the ASCII file > specification relating to the importation of data into EXCEL from an > external application > > Thank you very much ...

Date time formats keep reverting back to default
I have a column of dates that I assigned a custom format to. When the data in this column gets refreshed from a data base query the format keeps reverting back to the default format. How can I stop this behavior? I doubt you can. Sounds like the format is coming over with it. Why don't you record a macro, and give yourself a toolbar button to run. Start recording, select the column, change the format, hit Ctrl+Home and stop recording. For reference: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/record_a_macro_in_microsoft_excel.htm http://www.officearticles.com/misc/methods_to_run_a_macro_in_m...

2 axis bar chart?
I need to create a two axis chart using columns for both data sets. One of the custom charts uses 2 axis, but requires a line rather than a column for one data set. Is there a way to use a separate column (not stacked) for each data set? Gordon - You don't need to constrain yourself to the abbreviated list of built-in custom chart types that come with Excel. Does this page describe what you want: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech...

Conditional Formatting Help Please 01-25-08
I have a datasheet form where I had several conditions depending on a couple of fields one of the fields is numeric. I have been asked to add another number field and a condition of changing back color . When opening form the last condition is being applied even though the field associated with this condition is blank. How can I fix this? Thank you for any help you can provide. You're not the only one who's totally confused! You really need to give us a few more specifics if anyone is to help you. Names of the fields involved, what you have in the Conditional Formatting of w...

Redundant Conditional Formatting In Move From 2003 to 2007
I have an Excel model that after I moved it from 2003 to 2007 has a lot of redundant conditional formatting rules. Some conditional formats moved fine, other cells have the same rule duplicated 10 to 12 times. Is there an easy macro way to remove duplicate conditional formatting rules? Also, my conditional formatting rules usually should be the same if they are on the same row looking up/down the existing column to see if conditional formats conditions are triggered. Even though I setup the rule correctly locking the row or column as needed, it looks like Excel considers it t...

Bubble chart that displays profit/loss clusters in a full day
I´ve tried to make a bubble chart that displays profit/losses for a day trader in the forex market. But I cant get it rigt. The chart gets all wrong. What I try to is as follows: The Y axis should be the time of day when the trade was placed and the x axis should be the profit or loss (positive or negative number) Preferably a loss should display as a red bubble and a profit should display as a blue bubble, increasing in size with the size of the profit/loss. Therby I will be able to identify the time when profit or loss clusters. Here is a example of the dataset: $ ...

active chart option
How do I activate the "Active chart" option in "Chart" tab of "Options" selection under the "Tools" menu? I can see it but I can't activate it. Regards, giacomo Hi giacomo, Try selecting the chart before going to Tools > Options Cheers Andy giacomo wrote: > How do I activate the "Active chart" option in "Chart" > tab of "Options" selection under the "Tools" menu? I can > see it but I can't activate it. > Regards, > giacomo -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope...