Connecting Points In An XY-Scatter Plot Graph

I made a data table to help me organize my workout schedule at the gym. On
the X-axis I used the date, and for the y-axis I have weight. I have several
different excersizes, and thus several different plots (on the same graph). I
don't do every excersize every time so the points are some what scattered.
The graph is a "XY (Scatter) with data points connected by lines."

Ok. My problem is that the points of a line are only connected when I do the
same excercise twice in a row (not row as in column). For example; on
04/06/06 and 04/08/06 I do bicep curls, the points are connected. But if I
work out a day inbetween those two, and do not do that excercise, the points
won't connect! Note that on the inbetween day I leave the space in my data
table blank.

Having the graph set up in this manner lets me see how often I work out on a
particular machine, and the progress that I have made over time. I want to
keep the graph this way if possible.

Thanks for all of your help.
I know my post is somewhat long, but I didn't want it to be ambiguous. And
frankly I want to get an answer that works.

Sincerely,
Adam WK
0
AdamWK (2)

Select the chart, go to Tools menu > Options > Chart, and choose
Interpolated for how you want Excel to deal with the blank cells. This has
to be repeated for every chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Adam WK" <AdamWK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a data table to help me organize my workout schedule at the gym. On
> the X-axis I used the date, and for the y-axis I have weight. I have
> several
> different excersizes, and thus several different plots (on the same
> graph). I
> don't do every excersize every time so the points are some what scattered.
> The graph is a "XY (Scatter) with data points connected by lines."
>
> Ok. My problem is that the points of a line are only connected when I do
> the
> same excercise twice in a row (not row as in column). For example; on
> 04/06/06 and 04/08/06 I do bicep curls, the points are connected. But if I
> work out a day inbetween those two, and do not do that excercise, the
> points
> won't connect! Note that on the inbetween day I leave the space in my data
> table blank.
>
> Having the graph set up in this manner lets me see how often I work out on
> particular machine, and the progress that I have made over time. I want to
> keep the graph this way if possible.
>
> Thanks for all of your help.
> I know my post is somewhat long, but I didn't want it to be ambiguous. And
> frankly I want to get an answer that works.
>
> Sincerely,
> Adam WK

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/8/2006 7:59:52 PM
Thanks Jon! You rock! Works great!
..Adam WK

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Select the chart, go to Tools menu > Options > Chart, and choose
> Interpolated for how you want Excel to deal with the blank cells. This has
> to be repeated for every chart.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> 2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
> _______
>
> "Adam WK" <AdamWK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I made a data table to help me organize my workout schedule at the gym. On
> > the X-axis I used the date, and for the y-axis I have weight. I have
> > several
> > different excersizes, and thus several different plots (on the same
> > graph). I
> > don't do every excersize every time so the points are some what scattered.
> > The graph is a "XY (Scatter) with data points connected by lines."
> >
> > Ok. My problem is that the points of a line are only connected when I do
> > the
> > same excercise twice in a row (not row as in column). For example; on
> > 04/06/06 and 04/08/06 I do bicep curls, the points are connected. But if I
> > work out a day inbetween those two, and do not do that excercise, the
> > points
> > won't connect! Note that on the inbetween day I leave the space in my data
> > table blank.
> >
> > Having the graph set up in this manner lets me see how often I work out on
> > particular machine, and the progress that I have made over time. I want to
> > keep the graph this way if possible.
> >
> > Thanks for all of your help.
> > I know my post is somewhat long, but I didn't want it to be ambiguous. And
> > frankly I want to get an answer that works.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Adam WK

0
AdamWK (2)

Office Update 10.2.3 kills network connections to shares.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Don't ask me why, but I witnessed this myself. I just did a clean install on a 27&quot; iMac updated the OS to 10.6.2 set up several SMB shares and ran the final office update 10.2.1.(which I had disk images of) I left the clients place telling him to use the software update on MS Office for the remaining updates. He updated his Office to 10.2.3 and it killed the ability to connect to the shares I had already set up. I went back and tried to reconnect the shares and the &quot;Connect to Server&qu...

how can I put 2 or more variables in a graph in Excel?
I try to apply cross-correlations, adding 2 or more variables in a graph. How can I do this so I can compare these variables? Inge, For most chart types (Excel calls a graph a chart), you can select the columns (use the Ctrl or Shift key if they're not adjacent) for the variables you want graphed before you start the create process. Or later, use Chart - Source data - Series, and add the series yourself. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "Inge" <Inge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4C478C1-493F-4B87-A0BF-CA6675FBD343@microsoft.com... >I try ...

Are Charts with Multiple XY Datasets Possible?
I'd like to be able to build a chart using multiple XY datasets -- say from two different experiments. If I plot the two columns of dataset as XY, then Add Data and try to plot the two columns of dataset B, get an XY plot (A), overlaid by two line plots, one for each column o dataset B. I tried googling but have not found any usefu information. Thanks Steve Shervais -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com when you add the 2nd range did you check the box saying that the firs column is the x axis values -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Steve - There are s...

trendline going below points in the chart
I have a burndown graph, so the trendline has a negative slope. I'm only interested in the X-intercept. How do I keep the trendline from exceeding the normal bounds of the chart? When it goes down to -2000, it shrinks the rest of the chart so that it can't be seen and is useless. Thanks, Brad. Brad - You can double click on an axis, and on the Scale tab of the dialog box that pops up, set the axis minimum and maximum that you want. This prevents data series or trendlines from redrawing the chart scales. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Service...

"Unable to connect to server" error 800ccc0e/800cccoe
I've gotten this error before, normally it means the server is unresponsive or non-existent. The problem I have is that I can ping the server, login using Horde (webmail) on the same server and-- worst of all-- can even use the server's I.P. address without any response. I also fail to send through any SMTP server, whether my own or my ISP's. I don't have Pc-Cillin installed, as the Outlook Support site suggested, but I am running Norton Antivirus. Is there anything else that could possibly cause this issue? Thanks! - Quiller quiller@equiller.com Try turning off ou...

How to add Upper/lower control limit lines to a graph (not drawn)
I have several quality charts that I do monthly. How can I get the the upper, lower and center lines to appear at a specific data point (number) as part of hte chart format. In other words, withiout having to use the Draw Line tool each time? Excel 2003. Fake it. In other words, seutp some "dummy" series that are calculated, and plot them on your chart. Format them to look however you like, and remove the original chart gridlines. If you have a legend, single-click twice the legend entry for your dummy series and press delete. If done correctly, the entry will not...

How to control graph area
Still running stone age version of excel (97). Att least in this version it is very difficult to control the size of the diagram area when you cetreate a graph with the diagram tool. This problem is dual. On the one hand there is no entry/input (that I can find) to specify an EXACT diagram area (in pixels, cm etc. On the other hand if you use the drawing to to create the exact borders of the desired area and then adjust the diagram (the coordinate system) acrodingly - the d' thing won't remain stable. Now is ther anyone out there how knows what to do. A hidden surface entry for...

2003 org connected to 2003 org....but with same email addresses
Hi I am starting a domain migration, but ideally we want to setup users from scratch. Currently we have an exchange 2003 organisation, with front and backend servers, and we want to leave the mail flowing into that org during the staged migration.....we then want to create a new exchange environment on the new domain. The users will have the same email addresses. Will the ADC cope with this? so in essense mail will flow to to the old exchange server, but then if it doesn't find a account with the email address as I would have either deleted it or removed the SMTP address, I then need i...

Missing Graph Functionality
In Office 2003, I used to be able to select the following when formating a data series in a graph: fill effects | shadows This would basically give me shadows on the left/rigt sides, etc. This does not appear to be available in Office 2007. Can I still make this selection? Hi, Are you sure about that selection in 2003. For a column chart the option of a Shadow is available on the Patterns tab. The Fill Effects button displays a dialog with Gradient, Texture, Pattern and Picture. But these are all fill effects and not shadows. Any way in xl2007 you would select the series and then usi...

CRM connection to subsidiary
Hi, we have introduced MS CRM with an own CRM Server. On this CRM Server we have also implemented a SQL Server. Additionally we use an own Exchange Server 2003 and Active Directory. In near future we face the CRM connection to our subsidiary which has to get access to our CRM system. They have their own Exchange Server 2003 but should - if possible - not have an own CRM Server. Has anyone experience regarding this problem and give us some advice? Is a CRM-connection to our subsidiary with these conditions possible? Thank you very much for your help!! Angela Hello Angela. This is Krish...

Clustered column graph with mixed data in 2nd column
I'm trying to create a clustered column graph with mixed data in the 2nd column and I cannot find a way to do it. Any suggestions? What's "mixed data"? Do you mean you want to build a stacked column for the second column in the cluster? If so, look here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "drhatt" <drhatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:648BC5CE-4DE9-433C-A824-325B6995D...

On Hand Quantity Point in Time
Ok, so I have figured out how to make a crystal report generate a on hand quantity for an item at any given time in the past. I have that now as a sub report and transfered the value in a variable to the main report to to perform other logic tasks but it has some issues. I can not sum or count any calculations for the report in total due to the nature in which the calculations are done so what I really need is someway for the SQL server to provide that answer. That is, given item X and date Y what was the quantity on hand on that day based on the sum of calculations and the adjusted be...

Scatter chart
I am trying to create a scatter chart for names on a map(boats in a boat yard) I want to supply the x & y values of the boat position and have the name of the boat displayed at that point. Is it possible, because I am finding if I supply x & y values Excel seems to interpret that as 2 series of numbers Help gratefully received Thanks Phil Let's say your Boat names are in A2:A10, the X value is B2:B10 and the Y Value is C2:C10 Create a scatter chart for your X Y values as you would normally do. You'll need an addon like Rob Bovey's XYChartLabeler. It can be f...

xy scatter graph labels
I have a XY graph named scatt in a form and it works great except I can't get the data labels to show up on it. When I select the data points and select the X value for the data label I get a number for each point of data. I have 26 points of data and it numbers them 1 -26. I need it to place the name of the Physician that the data belongs to in the label. The Physician name data is in the column A of the datasheet of the graph. I've searched the internet for 3 hours and can't find the answer. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance Becky ...

Graphing STRANGENESS
I am graphing two series of data using EXCEL using a line chart. The first series displays correctly and the second series is displayed as the SUM of the data for the first and second series. Has anyone ever seen this before? What causes this? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Someone far wiser than I (thanks Jon) pointed out that I had a stacked line with markers. Oops! "Barb Reinhardt" wrote: > I am graphing two series of data using EXCEL using a line chart. The first > series displays correctly and the second series is displayed as the SUM of > the data for the fi...

ms office 2004 power point
Does anyone else having trouble sending power point presentations in an attachment to a pc? delwald <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone else having trouble sending power point presentations in an > attachment to a pc? Nope. Any specific problem you'd be experiencing ?? Make sure you don;t includ Mac specific media in the presentations though (eg PICT or .mov). Corentin -- --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) --- http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com MVPs are not MS employees - Les MVP...

How do I make multi column stacked graphs in Excel
-- Ed Hi, See the links on Jon's page for Cluster Stacked charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy Ed B wrote: ...

saving ppt file with animation- excel graph animated by series
I have an ppt file that has excel graph copied in the slide. I have created an animation using the custom animation by series. This enables me to animate each series of plotted data in the graph. The problem is that I only need 3 of the 6 series to be animated. I remove the other three series from the animation pane and I preview the results and everything is perfect. The three series of data that I need animated are in fact animated. When I save the file, it reverts back to animating all six series of plotted data. Is there a different way of saving a file with animation that I ...

tools, option, send immediatley when connected
team so i've got this question about outlook.. i always go through and uncheck 'send immediately when connected' this works great- --- sometimes i need to double-check my emails before sending them out.. why is it that when i go 'file, sendto, mail recipient as attachment' in excel-- why doesn't this email (with the XLS attachment) _STAY_ in my outbox until i hit send/recieve? i mean-- seriously? is it a BUG? is it a feature? is there a way to make 'send immediately when connected' really work like it should?? ...

OL 2003 drops connection to Exchange 2000
I have been running Exchange 2000 on a Small Business Server for 3 years and it has always worked reliably inside our network until we added some Outlook 2003 clients on new machines. The OL 2003 clients get locked up for 3-5 minutes at a time although they still have access to other network devices as well as the web. This happens 2-3 times daily for each OL 2003 client. Is there a compatibility problem, e.g. protocols, between Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2003? Thanks, Bill ...

Account gets updated everytime it connects
I have MS Money 2004 Deluxe. Everytime I allow automatic updates or force a manual update, 1 account always has activity. The top says you have no unread statements, but it will have an arrow with a (5). 5 is the number of funds in this account. I click OK a couple of times and it doesn't change anything. It's like it's just checking the balance or something. I have another account with the same company that doesn't do this. Ideas? Thanks In microsoft.public.money, Mick0866 wrote: >I have MS Money 2004 Deluxe. Everytime I allow automatic updates or force a >...

How to add slope formula to graph
I am taking a chem lab and i have to add the y=mx+b formula to my graph. I know that I should be able to do this but i do not remember how. Plot some points. Select the series, and on the Chart menu, select Add Trendline. Add a linear trendline, and on the Options tab, select Display Equation on Chart, and if desired, Display R-Squared Value on Chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "jessrand" <jessrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE3D8678-24A2-4D76-8006-AD7F3E59EB21@mic...

Remote Connectivity
When using terminal server on your personal computer, can the personal activities that you conduct such as MSN messenger, websites visited on your local computer be seen by the network, after you log off of the remote desktop connection? I notice that even once you sign off, there's a message that states the remote connection is still running in the background. Please advise ...

yello boxes in xy graph
What are the yellow boxes in XY graph? What boxes ? I cant see anything. can you explain a little ? >-----Original Message----- >What are the yellow boxes in XY graph? >. > ...

double bar graph help
i need to make a double bar graph and i cant figure out how. I just got word 2007 and i cant figure out how to do anything. Can anyone explain how to create a double bar graph? Hi, Not sure what you mean by double by but maybe these links will help. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html If not post back describing the chart Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "brittany" <brittany@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F9D81F0-AD99-44C6-A1F8-0...