conditional format of data tables in charts

I've created a chart that is based on a data set where the cells have
conditional formatting (if value a > value b then colour the cell red)

I have the data table displayed with the chart (in chart options, 'show
data table' is ticked), but the condtional formatting is not displayed
in this table, i.e cells that are red in my original data set are not
coloured in the chart table.

Is there any way to apply the conditional format on the table displayed
within the chart?

Cheers

Dan.

Daniel,

Unfortunately you can't apply conditional formating to data tables.
However, you could eliminate the data table and build a similar one under the
chart in the worksheet using worksheet cells.  You could then apply the
conditional formatting to this revised worksheet cell data table.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"daniel.finnigan@redcats.co.uk" wrote:

> I've created a chart that is based on a data set where the cells have
> conditional formatting (if value a > value b then colour the cell red)
>
> I have the data table displayed with the chart (in chart options, 'show
> data table' is ticked), but the condtional formatting is not displayed
> in this table, i.e cells that are red in my original data set are not
> coloured in the chart table.
>
> Is there any way to apply the conditional format on the table displayed
> within the chart?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dan.

As John points out, use worksheet cells to simulate the effect of a
data table.  For an introduction, see Custom Chart Table
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <1106304043.212899.243580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
daniel.finnigan@redcats.co.uk says...
> I've created a chart that is based on a data set where the cells have
> conditional formatting (if value a > value b then colour the cell red)
>
> I have the data table displayed with the chart (in chart options, 'show
> data table' is ticked), but the condtional formatting is not displayed
> in this table, i.e cells that are red in my original data set are not
> coloured in the chart table.
>
> Is there any way to apply the conditional format on the table displayed
> within the chart?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dan.

Any utilities to remove the ALL the Microsoft formatting tags?
Hi Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try and export an HTML format file? This is driving me NUTS. And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion. I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data, plus the minimal table structure and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!! I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC and I cant remember what it was called. I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00 for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...) Ship Shiperton Henethe p....

tables in word

Link Drop Down with Pivot Table
Hi I'm using MS Excel 2003 and need a solution regarding link my drop down list with my pivot table. Query : I have created a drop down list in which month can be selected and wanted to link with pivot table in which month wise team count is displayed for a selected month. Presently I'm drag n drop the month in pivot table and its shows the count. But this exercise I have to do every time when I need the report. Is it possible that I have select the month from my drop down list (created in same sheet) and pivot table shows the data related to that month. Please h...

Convert Pivot Table to Values in Macro
The code below converts multiple worksheets to values. Except, as I discovered recently Pivot Tables. Can you help modify the code to also convert Pivot Tables to Values? ============= Sub SetAllSheetsToValues() Dim shtSheet As Worksheet, shtActive As Worksheet Dim rngR As Range, rngCell As Range Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set shtActive = ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet For Each shtSheet In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets With shtSheet If .ProtectContents = False Then ' skip protected sheets On Error Resume Next Set rngR = .UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, _ xlErro...

using a UDF in place of a cond. format, b/c I need 4, not three
I know this is an age old topic here, and I'm really hoping that I don't just get referred to another web page [that type of help of course has its place and merits]. And if I had the time, I would have more fun going through docs and notes to find out how to do it, but time is not something I can barter. What I'm looking at is: I'm thinking along the lines of an example where I normally set the borders of my columns [except if it's the first row] in a cond. format via something like this: =AND((NOT(ISBLANK($A1))),(ROW()>1)) But, if I need that space for a Con...

Inserting a value in a table when a connector is added between two shapes
Hi everybody.. I have a Visio drawing containing six different shapes in my stencil. When adding a connector between two shapes, is there a way other than by VBA to make Visio insert the shape IDs of the two connected shapes in a relationship table between the two shapes.. An example.. if I have the two tables Course and Objective, and I want to add an objective to a course, I would create a table between the two tables, say RelationCourseObj where the primary key would be the two primary keys from the two tables... Now is there a way with the database wizard to make Visio automatically...

chart formatted for Weeks, not Days
I am trying to graph some data in Excel 2002 SP3. Column A contains dates (1 date every 7 days) and Columns B through Z the actual data. On my graph I wish to change to eliminate the extra spaces between data points because every day is displayed, not just the weekly dates entered. The only options in the Format Axis I can find are Days, Months, Years. Where is the Weekly option ? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ! ...

Formula to Autofill Info based on Other Data
Using: Excel 2000, on Windows 98 Good morning! I'm hoping that someone on here can possibly help me. I have basic Excel knowledge, but this is out of my skill set. My boss has given me a project to work on, in which I have a workbook with two worksheets that I am dealing with. The worksheets are labelled PRICE and SUMMARY. On the PRICE sheet, I have several columns. Column A lists the product name, Columns E list the per page charge for the *red* program, and Column G lists the per page charge for the *blue* program. Those are the columns we will be dealing with. All specific inform...

Chart Legend #3
I have Line charts on various sheets. The charts are identical in size. There are 12 items graphed on each chart. However, the legend on each of the charts seems to be displaying different numbers of charted items. I'm not sure how to explain this clearly. On one chart's legend, it might show 12 items (three columns with four items each), which is correct. Another chart's legend may only show 2 columns totally only eight items (it should be 12). I even have one chart's legend showing only 4 items (as if it is only one column displaying). I can't figure out what...

Adding multiple items in unordered data to match a target amount
I have 3 columns of data - invoiced amounts (A), banked amounts (B) and commission charged (C). A = B + C For each B, there is one C. However, there can be multiple items in A for one item of B + C. Further, the rules for how commission is charged varies by amounts sold; I cannot calculate C by reference to A or B (individually) with any level of accuracy. I'm therefore looking for a way of selecting 1 or multiple items in column B, adding them to 1 or multiple items in column C and tracing this to 1 or multiple items in column A. Help would be gratefully received. ...

Purge data based on another Excel file???
I am attempting to purge data from a large list based on data in another document. I have the files I want to remaove in on file and the file I want to remove them from. There should be simple way to do this no? ...

Importing Data From Access Problem
I'm trying to import some query results from MS Access into Excel using the Import External Data function. Some of the queries are coming across OK, others are only bringing the column headers across and some are bringing partial data. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening? Thanks Helena ...

custom header date formats
How can I set the date format on a custom header? I know I can use &[date] to insert the date...the problem is I want the date to display in a specific format (ex: MMDDYY or MMDDYYYY) Thanks! Ron --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Use something like: & TEXT(Today(),"d-mmm-yy") HTH Otto "Ron777 >" <<Ron777.102ysm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Ron777.102ysm@excelforum-nospam.com... > How can I set the date format on a custom header? I know I can use > &[date] to insert the date...the problem is I want the...

Pivot table #63
I have a pivot table that is connected to an OLAP data source. It is on a network drive so users can access it. It works fine for me and other users, but one user gets a "database <DBName> does not exist" error when he tries to change a filter on the page dimension. I am very new to Pivot tables, so I'm not sure how it works. Does this user need some kind of software loaded in order to access OLAP data sources? ...

A question regarding coordinates of points within a chart
Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be accessed via a mousemove event? I realize this will require quite a bit of coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point on an X-Y scatter I have. The data set consists of around 27000 points, and I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point. Wazooli Wazooli, Take a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events . . . http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221 then, take a look at this post ...

displaying dates in UK format
I didn't write the original database and my knowledge of database design is not good enough to duplicate the work already done. With a variety of computers running Windows98 and/or XP, using Access2003, I cannot get dates to display on my forms in UK format (i.e. dd/mm/yyyy or even d/m/yy). The computers in use all have the short date format set to dd/mm/yyyy in regional settings. I have read through http://allenbrowne.com/ser-36.html and tried the formatting suggested there and it didn't work for me. I added it to "Lost focus" and "OnExit" and ...

selecting rows of data
I have an excel worksheet with 4 columbs. I want to automatically select multiple rows of data according to search which will partly match one cell in the row and put the full ro as results in a new worksheet. for example 30/01/03,New York,233.85,complete 20/03/03,New Hampshire,188.22,complete 22/03/03,Texas,90.78,incomplete 23/04/03,Oregon,467.99,complete If the search string is "New" how can I produce a new worksheet whic will contain 30/01/03,New York,233.85,complete 20/03/03,New Hampshire,188.22,complete Any suggestions would be appriciated -- Message posted from http://w...

Bubble Charts
Does anyone know if the bubble chart default shape of circle can be modified to other shapes (i.e. triangle, square)? The flexibility to present different shapes could be useful when presenting two series on the same chart. For example, one series could be the default circle, another a triangle. I have seen this capability in other applications with advanced charting capabilities. I am using Excel 2003. Regards, Joel Hi, Yes you can change the shape. To do so you need to use a custom marker. Create a shape using the autoshapes menu. Format the shape in terms of colour and border. Copy...

Changing OLAP Pivot Table Connection Source
I have numerous spreadsheets that have pivot tables pointing to an OLAP Cube via a connection string. Is there an easy way (either automated or manual) to change the connection string to point to a new version of the OLAP Cube? I can edit the connection properties and navigate to the new .odc connection file, but get an error saying "The OLAP provider returned an unexpected number of dimensions." ...

Link to other slides from table using c#
Hi, I'm looking to create links from a certain slide to another, and I need those links to be from within a table. I need it to be something like this: var pptApp = new PowerPoint.Application(); var presentation = pptApp.Presentations.Add(Office.MsoTriState.msoFalse); var slides = presentation.Slides; slides.InsertFromFile(@"C:\Users\Tng1\Documents\PresentationTemplate.potx" , 0, 1); var titleSlide = slides[1]; titleSlide.Name="TitleSlide" ; var tableSlide = slides[2]; tableSlide.Name = "TableSlide" ; va...

Backup Data
Blanket broadcast to anyone. Just got a new machine that has MS Money 03. Old machine had same. Tried to download backup from older machine to new machine but couldn't get a restore. Anyone have any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, cbauer wrote: >Blanket broadcast to anyone. Just got a new machine that >has MS Money 03. Old machine had same. Tried to >download backup from older machine to new machine but >couldn't get a restore. Anyone have any ideas? What did you try, and what happened as a result? Try simply copying the backup file from the old machine...

Conditional Formatting dependent on whether cell is populated.
I want to conditionally format cell G2 dependent upon whether there is a value in cell C2 AND G2 Therefore, if cell C2 has a value in it and cell G2 doesn't then cell G2 color = Amber if cell C2 has a value in it and cell G2 has a value then cell G2 color = Green Any helpful hints or useful suggestions? Thanks Tel Conditional Format of G2, condition 1: =AND(COUNTA(C2)=1,ISBLANK(G2)) format Amber condition 2: =COUNTA(C2,G2)=2 format Green -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Tel" wrote: &...

pattern of data
I have a table in the below format- For example Customer A and Dzip 678 is being served from ozip 099 twice and 011 once ozip dzip customer 099 678 A 011 678 A 099 678 A 121 875 B 122 875 B 122 875 B I need the below format for the above table. the data in the brackets indicate the no of times ozip appears in the table for a particular set of dzip,customer ozip dzip customer 099(2),011(1) 678 A 121(1),122(2) 875 B Please let me know the query which will give the data in the above format. Thanks in...

Data validation for 2 valid values
I want a cell to allow only 2 valid values but not have a drop-down list appear. How do I do that with Data->Validation? Data>validation>allow>list, put the 2 values separated by a comma in the source box, uncheck in cell dropdown -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:ujuB%23w52DHA.2000@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I want a cell to allow only 2 valid values but not have a drop-down list > appear. > > How do I do that with Data->Validation? > > Using a list, as Peo suggested, will force users to match the ...

external data #3
I would like to be able to access external data from more than one source. Any help on how to do this would be fantastic. I would like excel to reach out to a Access database that I specify at the time it reaches out to get some external data. Usually I get external data through the "get external data", but that only connects to whatever datasource you initially choose. i'd like to be able to choose which Access database I am pulling data from at the time I bring it into Excel. hope that helps, Thanks, Lou Sanderson. "Ron Coderre" wrote: > I think we'l...