complex chart

Hi!

I have the table below, containing 2 Y-values per X-value, i.e. a minimum 
value and a maximum value for every period (X-axis). There are 6 periods.

values from different series can overlap.

What is the best way (graph type) to present this table? I guess some tricks 
should be involved.

	1975/1980		1981/1985		1986/1990	
a	2500	2700	2700	2900	2900	3000
b	2500	2700	2700	3000	2900	3000
c	2500	2700	2700	2900	3000	3200
d	2800	3000	3000	3100	3200	3500
e	2800	3000	3000	3100	3500	3700
f	2500	2700	2700	3000	3200	3500
g	2500	2700	2700	3000	3200	3400
h	3000	3200	3300	3500	3500	4000
i	3000	3200	3300	3500	4000	4200
j	3500	3600	3700	3800	4500	4700
k	3300	3500	3500	3600	4300	4700
l	5000		5200		5500	6500
m	0	0	5000	6000	6000	7000
n	3700		3700	3900	4000	4500


hope someone knows an acceptable answer.. Thanks!

tom

0
10/6/2006 2:11:02 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
636 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 8

some clearification:
shown are three periods, but achtually there are 6..

"tom ossieur" wrote:

> Hi!
> 
> I have the table below, containing 2 Y-values per X-value, i.e. a minimum 
> value and a maximum value for every period (X-axis). There are 6 periods.
> 
> values from different series can overlap.
> 
> What is the best way (graph type) to present this table? I guess some tricks 
> should be involved.
> 
> 	1975/1980		1981/1985		1986/1990	
> a	2500	2700	2700	2900	2900	3000
> b	2500	2700	2700	3000	2900	3000
> c	2500	2700	2700	2900	3000	3200
> d	2800	3000	3000	3100	3200	3500
> e	2800	3000	3000	3100	3500	3700
> f	2500	2700	2700	3000	3200	3500
> g	2500	2700	2700	3000	3200	3400
> h	3000	3200	3300	3500	3500	4000
> i	3000	3200	3300	3500	4000	4200
> j	3500	3600	3700	3800	4500	4700
> k	3300	3500	3500	3600	4300	4700
> l	5000		5200		5500	6500
> m	0	0	5000	6000	6000	7000
> n	3700		3700	3900	4000	4500
> 
> 
> hope someone knows an acceptable answer.. Thanks!
> 
> tom
> 
0
10/6/2006 2:18:01 PM
That partially clearifies it. What's the significance of the letters down 
the leftmost column of your table?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"tom ossieur" <tomossieur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:9A705D30-A83B-4C78-87D0-068F1398D742@microsoft.com...
> some clearification:
> shown are three periods, but achtually there are 6..
>
> "tom ossieur" wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have the table below, containing 2 Y-values per X-value, i.e. a minimum
>> value and a maximum value for every period (X-axis). There are 6 periods.
>>
>> values from different series can overlap.
>>
>> What is the best way (graph type) to present this table? I guess some 
>> tricks
>> should be involved.
>>
>> 1975/1980 1981/1985 1986/1990
>> a 2500 2700 2700 2900 2900 3000
>> b 2500 2700 2700 3000 2900 3000
>> c 2500 2700 2700 2900 3000 3200
>> d 2800 3000 3000 3100 3200 3500
>> e 2800 3000 3000 3100 3500 3700
>> f 2500 2700 2700 3000 3200 3500
>> g 2500 2700 2700 3000 3200 3400
>> h 3000 3200 3300 3500 3500 4000
>> i 3000 3200 3300 3500 4000 4200
>> j 3500 3600 3700 3800 4500 4700
>> k 3300 3500 3500 3600 4300 4700
>> l 5000 5200 5500 6500
>> m 0 0 5000 6000 6000 7000
>> n 3700 3700 3900 4000 4500
>>
>>
>> hope someone knows an acceptable answer.. Thanks!
>>
>> tom
>> 


0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
10/6/2006 6:50:40 PM
those are vessel types.. every row is the cost development for one vessel type

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> That partially clearifies it. What's the significance of the letters down 
> the leftmost column of your table?
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
> 
> 
> "tom ossieur" <tomossieur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:9A705D30-A83B-4C78-87D0-068F1398D742@microsoft.com...
> > some clearification:
> > shown are three periods, but achtually there are 6..
> >
> > "tom ossieur" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I have the table below, containing 2 Y-values per X-value, i.e. a minimum
> >> value and a maximum value for every period (X-axis). There are 6 periods.
> >>
> >> values from different series can overlap.
> >>
> >> What is the best way (graph type) to present this table? I guess some 
> >> tricks
> >> should be involved.
> >>
> >> 1975/1980 1981/1985 1986/1990
> >> a 2500 2700 2700 2900 2900 3000
> >> b 2500 2700 2700 3000 2900 3000
> >> c 2500 2700 2700 2900 3000 3200
> >> d 2800 3000 3000 3100 3200 3500
> >> e 2800 3000 3000 3100 3500 3700
> >> f 2500 2700 2700 3000 3200 3500
> >> g 2500 2700 2700 3000 3200 3400
> >> h 3000 3200 3300 3500 3500 4000
> >> i 3000 3200 3300 3500 4000 4200
> >> j 3500 3600 3700 3800 4500 4700
> >> k 3300 3500 3500 3600 4300 4700
> >> l 5000 5200 5500 6500
> >> m 0 0 5000 6000 6000 7000
> >> n 3700 3700 3900 4000 4500
> >>
> >>
> >> hope someone knows an acceptable answer.. Thanks!
> >>
> >> tom
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
10/9/2006 12:40:02 PM
With respect to the chart, I meant. Are they category labels, or do they 
indicate different series of data? I am not sure I understand how you want 
the chart to look.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"tom ossieur" <tomossieur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:57EBC97F-658E-45FE-838D-07F50CABDC79@microsoft.com...
> those are vessel types.. every row is the cost development for one vessel 
> type
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> That partially clearifies it. What's the significance of the letters down
>> the leftmost column of your table?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>>
>> "tom ossieur" <tomossieur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:9A705D30-A83B-4C78-87D0-068F1398D742@microsoft.com...
>> > some clearification:
>> > shown are three periods, but achtually there are 6..
>> >
>> > "tom ossieur" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi!
>> >>
>> >> I have the table below, containing 2 Y-values per X-value, i.e. a 
>> >> minimum
>> >> value and a maximum value for every period (X-axis). There are 6 
>> >> periods.
>> >>
>> >> values from different series can overlap.
>> >>
>> >> What is the best way (graph type) to present this table? I guess some
>> >> tricks
>> >> should be involved.
>> >>
>> >> 1975/1980 1981/1985 1986/1990
>> >> a 2500 2700 2700 2900 2900 3000
>> >> b 2500 2700 2700 3000 2900 3000
>> >> c 2500 2700 2700 2900 3000 3200
>> >> d 2800 3000 3000 3100 3200 3500
>> >> e 2800 3000 3000 3100 3500 3700
>> >> f 2500 2700 2700 3000 3200 3500
>> >> g 2500 2700 2700 3000 3200 3400
>> >> h 3000 3200 3300 3500 3500 4000
>> >> i 3000 3200 3300 3500 4000 4200
>> >> j 3500 3600 3700 3800 4500 4700
>> >> k 3300 3500 3500 3600 4300 4700
>> >> l 5000 5200 5500 6500
>> >> m 0 0 5000 6000 6000 7000
>> >> n 3700 3700 3900 4000 4500
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> hope someone knows an acceptable answer.. Thanks!
>> >>
>> >> tom
>> >>
>>
>>
>> 


0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
10/9/2006 8:47:19 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Data not showing on my chart
OK, you will will probably be laughing about this at the water cooler over the next couple of days, but my data is not showing up on my chart! I'm sure it's something really stupid I overlooked - Charts are my weak area, but I've done several in the past just fine. I checked my source data three times now - - Each series name (from the row labels), and corresponding data for the series value is all accounted for. - Each column header shows in my category (X) axis. - My value (Y) axis is there as well. Basically - all series names and category (X) axis & value (Y) axis l...

HOW DO i CREATE 3 PIE CHARTS SIDE BY SIDE- FOR 3 SERIES OF FIGURES
INCOME ANALYSED 5 WAYS FOR EACH OF 3 YEARS. hOW DO I CREATE 3 PIE CHARTS SIDE BY SIDE FOR EACH OF THE 3 YEARS? Hi, You would have to create 3 separate charts. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Sarahh" <Sarahh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40AF3534-26A3-4B6A-ABF3-78EC397BA60E@microsoft.com... > INCOME ANALYSED 5 WAYS FOR EACH OF 3 YEARS. hOW DO I CREATE 3 PIE CHARTS > SIDE > BY SIDE FOR EACH OF THE 3 YEARS? ...

Excel 2007 charts not showing up in their own sheet
I have had Excel 2007 for some time now but haven't used it much. I opened a 2003 spreadsheet and went to a worksheet that was supposed to have a chart I made earlier. The chart, however, is not there. I thought this might be a compatibility issue and tried plotting some numbers in non-compatibility mode. The chart shows up fine until I move it to it's own sheet. I have re-installed Microsoft Office Suite as well as Suite Service Pack 1. Is there something I can do to make this work? Anything I might have turned off within Excel or somewhere else that would stop this fro...

Bubble Charts
When I try to chart data using bubble charts, the resulting chart doesn't appear to represent the data at all. Am I missing something? Hi, It's hard to say... the bubble chart will want X and Y values, along with a bubble-size value (the 3rd value). Do you have that kind of data? If not, check the data sources (right click on chart) to make sure the values you want are being used in the manner you're thinking. jeff >-----Original Message----- >When I try to chart data using bubble charts, the resulting chart doesn't appear to represent the data at all. Am I miss...

Embedding pictures on data points of a chart
Hi, Im trying to embedded the pictures on data points of a chart through VBA using following code. ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Points(4).DataLabel.Fill.UserPicture PictureFile:="C:\Syam\PptPics\Picture4.jpg" ', PictureFormat:=xlStackScale, PictureStackUnit:=4 , PicturePlacement:=xlAllFaces But im facing error. If if using the code after removing the ****************** PictureFormat:=xlStackScale, PictureStackUnit:=4 , PicturePlacement:=xlAllFaces ***************** in the abovecode then the picture can be imported with out any error. Can anybody tell me how to proceed th...

Page Field on Pivot Charts
Hello, When creating a pivot chart, if I do not add a page field, the blue page field section remains. is there a way for me to remove this so when it is distributed electronically, it is not shown? Hi Cardosol, When you finish creating the pivot chart as desired on the table itself right click in the list you will find "Hide Field List" click on it and what ever fields were displayed will be hiden.(excel version 2003) Try it and let me know. Suleman Peerzade "cardosol" wrote: > Hello, > > When creating a pivot chart, if I do not add a page field, the b...

Org chart properties across pages
I have created a large org chart, several thousand people, spanning several hundred pages. It works great but only one major irritation... When I am importing from a database it ramdomly assignes a subordinate layout, or so it seems. Looking at the properties it should be "&Child Layout Style = 4", however that property seems to change. I tried updating the master stensil, but no luck there either, still assignes a random value when I reimport, and I have to go into every page and change each managers subordinate to the proper setting. Anyway I can create either a V...

stacked column chart #5
How do you add multi columned data to a stack chart without all of the information stacking in one colum? For example I have 2 types of date for to compare for multiple years. Is the possible? if not any sugguestion on a different type of chart to use? "Photochoc" wrote: > How do you add multi columned data to a stack chart without all of the > information stacking in one colum? For example I have 2 types of date for to > compare for multiple years. Is the possible? if not any sugguestion on a > different type of chart to use? Set your chart type to the stacked...

Format Chart Bars with code?
I have data laid out in 3 columns... date in the first, a number in the second,and a color (Green, Red, or Blue) in the next. I have a chart with floating bars and would like them to be the color of the color in column three. Can I do that with code? Is there a better way? The conditional chart technique on this web page works without any VBA: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

spinner control in chart sheet... please help!
I have a worksheet with A LOT of data... x Y Y1 Y2 Y3 data data data data data .... .... ..... ..... ..... I have a chart sheet with all data plotted (xy scatter) and really need something like a spinner button so that I can scroll and only plot a block of my data at a time and have the chart update automatically with the contol. Doesn't have to be a spinner button, but it was a guess on my part. I have now bought 3 LARGE VBA for Excel books and am still unable to do seemingly simple tasks I need. Could anyone take me step-b...

Interactive XY Scatter chart
I have created an interactive XY scatter chart, driven by a drop down box, whereby the use of the INDEX function determines which of the 15 different dimensions to plot. My challenge is that the numbers of these 15 dimensions come in three different formats (general, currency and percent.) Any ideas how I might have the Y axis of the chart change according to the number format of the chosen dimension? The dimensions look something like this: Price $1.50 $1.80 $1.40 $1.85 $1.40 Years to maturity 3 4 3 5 4 Probability 80% 77% 85% ...

How to determine if a chart is embedded or not
Hi guys, a question for you Excel VBA experts. I wrote the following function which applies formatting to a chart: Function FormatAxes(Optional SheetName As String, Optional ChartName As String, _ Optional IsEmbedded As Boolean, _ Optional Xmin, Optional Xmax, Optional Ymin, Optional Ymax, Optional XMinorUnit, _ Optional XMajorUnit, Optional YMinorUnit, Optional YMajorUnit) Dim xlChart As Chart If SheetName = vbNullString Then SheetName = ActiveSheet.Name If ChartName = vbNullString Then ChartName = ActiveChart.Name If IsEmbedded Then Set xlChart ...

Memory Leak when copying charts to another worksheet
Hi I have a BAD memory leak when I copy a chart... even a blank chart to another worksheet. It eventually causes excel to crash. In my example, the sequence to crash excel was as follows: - Copy Chart 5000 times (loop) - less times would work too, and you'd see the increase in private bytes as you go along - Copy method of range class failed - Clicked End button on debug message box - Closed Excel - Message: The picture is too large and will be truncated - Excel.exe - Application error. The instruction at "0x300dc756" referenced memor...

gauge charts and dashboards
does anyone know how to set-up a gauge chart in excel, or other software Here's my take on these dial gauge charts: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SpeedometerXP.html Sure, you can construct them in Excel, but they are actually very poor at presenting useful data. In fact, the metaphor of dashboard as jet fighter cockpit is itself flawed. Here's a short post on effective dashboards, with links to a few other resources: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dashboards.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/> Advanc...

Changing Colors on an Excel Bar Chart
I am running Office 2000. I have a chart that has both positive and negative values. What I want to do is display the positive number in blue and the negative numbers in a different color. Bill - You could make some conditional charts: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Bill Godwin wrote: > I am running Office 2000. I have a chart that has both positive and > negative values. What I want to do is display the positive...

Multiple Chart replication
hi I have a worksheet that contains six small pie charts but am having great difficulty in obtaining the same chart size throughout. Formatting each chart individually is taking a long time and it obtaining an exact size replicacation is proving to be an uphill task. any pointers or tips would be gratefully appreciated! I wrote an article in Tech Trax e-zine about pie charts, and there's some useful macros near the end. One of them helps make the charts the same size. Here's the article: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=390 - Jon ------- Jon P...

how can i make a squared chart area
Hi, am drowing lorenz curve and i need to make the length of the X-Axis of my chart exactly equals the length of the Y-Axis. Hi, To make sure the area is exactly equal will need a little VBA code. Select the chart and run this routine. Sub SquarePlotarea() With ActiveChart.PlotArea .Width = .Height If .Width <> .Height Then .Height = .Width End With End Sub Cheers Andy squared chart area wrote: > Hi, > am drowing lorenz curve and i need to make the length of the X-Axis of my > chart exactly equals the length of the Y-Axis. > ...

Make your chart more effective
I am trying to duplicate the bar layout of the chart displayed in the "Make Your Chart More Effective" at Microsoft.com/training. I cannot seem to get the bars to group as three's. My chart only displays invidivual bars. It works for my 2 x 4 chart where I end up with 4 groups of 2 bars, but I need 12 groups of 2 stacked bars. Any help? Thank you. -- Connie The page I found that had that phrase in it had only clustered column charts. (Plus those 3D column charts, which are not at all effective.) You mentioned stacked bars. How should they look? Excel doesn't do ...

Conditional formatting a bar chart
Hello. I feel that I am so close, I can taste it! I have looked at a number of postings here and tried some of the referenced websites but just haven't been able to get this to work. Any help would be appreciated. My problem is: I have a bar chart tracking stock performance. For each stock, I have a cost basis and a current value which is either greater or less than (or possibly equal to I suppose) the cost. What I want to do is to create a bar chart that when the current value is less than the cost, the difference between the current value and the cost is shaded red. When the curr...

Creating data for a chart
Hello, I'd like to ask whether I need to create a column of data for every line on a chart. For example, I have a column (A) of numbers, one number for each day. I have created another column (B) for the chart where B1=A1, B2=B1+A2, B3=B2+A3 etc. In column C I have 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc for the day. If I want another line on the chart do I need to create column D. Is there a simpler way of doing this eg. the formula is placed in the chart so I don't need to create a column for each line. Thanks for your help, David The simplest way to provide data for a chart is to use the workshee...

Combination Charts
I am trying to create a stacked bar-line chart. I have figured out how to create a bar-line chart but I want to change it to a stacked bar. I am trying to show how two columns(bars) add up compared to the third (Line). Budget A + Budget B compares to Total Budget (line) make a stacked bar chart with all three items select the total buget bar and con convert to second axis then selecting the totla budget section select new chart type as line. then play with the formating to get it to show what you want it to. "Phyllis" wrote: > I am trying to create a stacked bar-line chart...

How do I create an auto updating excel chart?
I have moved over to excel 2007 and cannot work out how to create a chart that updates automatically. Can anyone help ? Option A: Use an Excel 2007 Table (like an Excel 2003 List on steroids) as the data source. Option B: Use dynamic ranges as the source data: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicColumnChart1.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "dave01" <dave01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

HELP! Chart Zero Values
Hi, I'm new to this forum...I hope someone can help. I have just become trainee Office Trainer, and a delegate has asked me a question that can't immediately help her with. She has a job interview thi afternoon and has been given some Excel tasks to do. She has been asked to create a scatter chart using 2 columns of data i the spreadsheet. How do you get the chart to not display the data i either the x or y axis data is null? I know you can get the chart to not display the values if both x and are zero, but what if just one of the axis is zero? If anyone can help me with this ...

2 Axis Column Chart #3
I want to create a column chart that has one data series on the left axis, and the other series on the right axis. Pretty easy if you want the 2nd axis to be a line, but can't figure out how to do this with a column. Hi, You need to stagger your data to stop the 2 sets of columns overlapping each other. See here for information. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy dguilbault wrote: > I want to create a column chart that has one data series on the left axis, > and the other series on the right axis. Pretty easy if you want the 2nd axis >...

Line Chart
I am trying to create a line chart but am having trouble with labeling the X-Axis. The graph is charting temperature on the y-Axis and the date and time of the testing is running along the X-Axis. There are at least 1096 time entries and I would like the X-axis labels to only display the date which is only two days and not the time (reason for all the entries). The X-Axis is currently displaying the time at a 90 degree angle and only one date at an 180 degree angle, becuase of the numerous time entries the second date does not show up along the X-Axis. Please help. Use an...