combination stacked column and line data

Help.
I've been asked to create a chart that has two sets of data that are stacked
(columns) and 5 sets of data that display in line format.  Is this an option
in Excel.  I can do a columan and a line but can't seem to add more than
that.  I'm using Excel 97 (but have access to Excel 2003).
Please and thanks.
0
Cowtoon (33)

Don't spend a lot of time looking for every last permutation in the "built
in custom" chart types. What you probably want isn't there, but it's easy to
roll your own type.

Make a chart with all data plotted in one format (probably line, so you have
to change fewer series). Select a series that you need to switch, and use
Chart Type from the Chart menu to change it to the type you want. Repeat for
the next series you need to change.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Cowtoon" <Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help.
> I've been asked to create a chart that has two sets of data that are
> stacked
> (columns) and 5 sets of data that display in line format.  Is this an
> option
> in Excel.  I can do a columan and a line but can't seem to add more than
> that.  I'm using Excel 97 (but have access to Excel 2003).
> Please and thanks.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
1/7/2006 1:43:10 AM
Thanks John.
I didn't realize it would work that way.  I'll give it a go.
Thanks so much for your help.
DIana

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Don't spend a lot of time looking for every last permutation in the "built
> in custom" chart types. What you probably want isn't there, but it's easy to
> roll your own type.
>
> Make a chart with all data plotted in one format (probably line, so you have
> to change fewer series). Select a series that you need to switch, and use
> Chart Type from the Chart menu to change it to the type you want. Repeat for
> the next series you need to change.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> "Cowtoon" <Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Help.
> > I've been asked to create a chart that has two sets of data that are
> > stacked
> > (columns) and 5 sets of data that display in line format.  Is this an
> > option
> > in Excel.  I can do a columan and a line but can't seem to add more than
> > that.  I'm using Excel 97 (but have access to Excel 2003).
> > Please and thanks.

0
Cowtoon (33)
1/7/2006 2:18:01 AM
Most people don't realize this. They see the few examples offered by Excel,
and assume that's all there is. Microsoft doesn't always clearly explain how
to use their products to their fullest.

- Jon
-------

> Thanks John.
> I didn't realize it would work that way.  I'll give it a go.
> Thanks so much for your help.
> DIana
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Don't spend a lot of time looking for every last permutation in the
>> "built
>> in custom" chart types. What you probably want isn't there, but it's easy
>> roll your own type.
>>
>> Make a chart with all data plotted in one format (probably line, so you
>> have
>> to change fewer series). Select a series that you need to switch, and use
>> Chart Type from the Chart menu to change it to the type you want. Repeat
>> for
>> the next series you need to change.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>> _______
>>
>> "Cowtoon" <Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Help.
>> > I've been asked to create a chart that has two sets of data that are
>> > stacked
>> > (columns) and 5 sets of data that display in line format.  Is this an
>> > option
>> > in Excel.  I can do a columan and a line but can't seem to add more
>> > than
>> > that.  I'm using Excel 97 (but have access to Excel 2003).
>> > Please and thanks.

So true.  I assumed the same thing and I'm not usually limited by MS's
software, but I certainly was this time.
It was soooooo easy to change ... I couldn't believe it.  I'm so glad I
posted it.
Diana

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpREMOVE@CAPSpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> Most people don't realize this. They see the few examples offered by
> Excel, and assume that's all there is. Microsoft doesn't always clearly
> explain how to use their products to their fullest.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> "Cowtoon" <Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks John.
>> I didn't realize it would work that way.  I'll give it a go.
>> Thanks so much for your help.
>> DIana
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>
>>> Don't spend a lot of time looking for every last permutation in the
>>> "built
>>> in custom" chart types. What you probably want isn't there, but it's
>>> easy to
>>> roll your own type.
>>>
>>> Make a chart with all data plotted in one format (probably line, so you
>>> have
>>> to change fewer series). Select a series that you need to switch, and
>>> use
>>> Chart Type from the Chart menu to change it to the type you want. Repeat
>>> for
>>> the next series you need to change.
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> Peltier Technical Services
>>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>>> _______
>>>
>>> "Cowtoon" <Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
nuttin (5)
1/10/2006 7:23:33 AM
By the way ... thanks so much for the tip.  It worked perfectly.  I did it
this morning and it worked wonderfully.  Diana

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpREMOVE@CAPSpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> Most people don't realize this. They see the few examples offered by
> Excel, and assume that's all there is. Microsoft doesn't always clearly
> explain how to use their products to their fullest.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> "Cowtoon" <Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks John.
>> I didn't realize it would work that way.  I'll give it a go.
>> Thanks so much for your help.
>> DIana
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>
>>> Don't spend a lot of time looking for every last permutation in the
>>> "built
>>> in custom" chart types. What you probably want isn't there, but it's
>>> easy to
>>> roll your own type.
>>>
>>> Make a chart with all data plotted in one format (probably line, so you
>>> have
>>> to change fewer series). Select a series that you need to switch, and
>>> use
>>> Chart Type from the Chart menu to change it to the type you want. Repeat
>>> for
>>> the next series you need to change.
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> Peltier Technical Services
>>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>>> _______
>>>
>>> "Cowtoon" <Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
nuttin (5)
1/10/2006 7:26:00 AM
Glad to help.

- Jon

"DianaH" <nuttin@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> By the way ... thanks so much for the tip.  It worked perfectly.  I did it
> this morning and it worked wonderfully.  Diana
>
> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpREMOVE@CAPSpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>> Most people don't realize this. They see the few examples offered by
>> Excel, and assume that's all there is. Microsoft doesn't always clearly
>> explain how to use their products to their fullest.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>> _______
>>
>> "Cowtoon" <Cowtoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks John.
>>> I didn't realize it would work that way.  I'll give it a go.
>>> Thanks so much for your help.
>>> DIana

A macro to increase line spacing
I'm trying to make a macro on my Word 2007 "Quick Access Toolbar" that will add 6 points after each line that I've selected. When I record a macro to do this, it adds the 6 points fine, but then sets the indent at "0", which was what the paragraph had when I recorded the macro. What I'd like it to do is ignore the indent of whatever paragraph I'm using the macro on, leave it as it is, and just add 6 points. Any suggestions how to do that? Here is how the Macro reads in VB--perhaps if I alter some of the parameters that would do it. Thanks for...

RSS stack error help pls
I need to demo RSS for CRM (VPC image), i install the CRMrss from michaeljon miller site, extract to C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM Server\CRMWeb\rss\ change the two .cs files so port include 5555. check the web.config to ensure app key is there for ISV integration. copy the isv.config.xml to the resources folder. go to visual studio 2005 command prompt, go to rss\code to run the make.bat. output from screen is 1 file copied. open the browser, i got the Exception of type System.Web.HttpException was thrown, stack error.. any help? thanks! ...

Hiding empty rows and columns
Does anyone know the code for hiding all blank rows and columns in a worksheet. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following (adapted from: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows) Public Sub HideBlankRows() Dim R As Long Dim C As Range Dim Rng As Range On Error GoTo EndMacro Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual If Selection.Rows.Count > 1 Then Set Rng = Selection Else Set Rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows End If For R = Rng.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1 If Application.WorksheetFuncti...

Twist Data?...
Hi all... I've got the following in a dataset: 19 30 1200 FI FI 20030906 36 19 30 1324 FI FI 20030906 36 and I want the following result: 19 30 1200, 1324 FI FI 20030906 26 Any guess on how to do this? thanks much!... Hmmm... Not quite clear: The data is arranged in columns, I assume It looks as if both items in the same column are the same, you want just one item, otherwise the one in the top row first, then the one from the bottom row. But what about the last 36s that should yield 26? Typo? Does the dataset have more columns or more rows or both? And how big is it?...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Transformation of data into columns

Data Validation List not showing

Chart "Benchmark" Line Graph Question
I am generating a graph of many team's monthly audit productivity percentages (bar graph) with a "benchmark" (line graph) at 95% (y axis) across 6 month period (x axis). The problem is that the line graph appears on the graph but the ends of the line are centered in the end columns (left & right). Is there as simple way to extend the benchmark line out to the edges of the graph? MJ Have a great day and live life with passion! ...

Adding extra data options
Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. Can you add extra data fileds and types in CRM 3.0? You can add extra data fields to an entity. Go to entities customization at setting area. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "xxdcmast" escribió: > Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would > like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. > > Can you add extra data ...

Is there a way to sort a column without invoking a macro?
I am trying to get a feel for some probabilistic properties. For example, I am trying to look at the statistics of the intervals between randomly occurring pulses. I have no problem getting a column of uniformly distributed pulse times, but they are unsorted, Every time I recalculate with cmd-=, I get a new unsorted set of pulse times because of the use of the RAND function. Is there a way of taking this unsorted column and pasting it into another colun that would be sorted without invoking a macro? To simplify and be more specific consider the following. 1. In A1:A100 I have a set...

unique with 2 columns

Is there a way to graph data which utilizes the "fixed" function for decimal places? When I try this it will not graph, as the data has become text or something - even though I've selected number in the cell formats. If you've fixed the number of digits using only number formats, the values remain numeric, and they should chart just fine. This means selecting the range, going to the Formatting menu and selecting Cells, and on the Number tab, selecting Number in the category list, and setting a number of digits. I'm not familiar with a "fixed function". I...

Column and Line Chart
I am making a Custon Chart using the First -Column and Line Chart. When I setup the chart it makes the last column a point instead of a column. When I go in to change the type of Chart it makes the bar much bigger than the others. I know you can go into Format and decrease/increase width- but I can't believe there is a not a way to tell excel to make this a column on setup so they are all uniformly spaced. How does Excel decide whether it is a point on a line or a bar? -- Thanks, Nikki Hi Nikki - Excel simply splits the number of series between the lines and columns. If you wa...

Does table size make a difference in how well Access protects data
I am having a problem that has been going on for several weeks now. I am slowly trying to figure it out. the problem is that Access 2003 keeps deleting records after they are entered. Quick view of database: running Access 2k3 back end and frontends, 12 machines access the DB at any one time, mixture of Win2k Pro and Win XP pro all patches and service packs installed for all OS's as well as Access 2k3. Running Client/server set up controlled by Small Business Server 2k3. database resides on a machine running XP Pro. when new orders are entered into the system, the DB will tell the d...

Sending data with CAsyncSocket.
Please tell me if/where I am wrong... If I have an established TCP connection using CAsyncSocket... When I send data I will normally be sending a packet that is about 100 bytes or so. I would send each packet with a separate call to "Send". Normally the Send will return a value equal to the number of bytes I sent. I would just write my code to call Send whenever I need to send a packet. Normally I would never receive an error or an indication that fewer bytes were sent. But if I did, I would handle this error. There is no need for me to use the "OnSend" function. Co...

PF-replication: SQL-Data -> PF-contacts
Hi, we have some customer information stored in our MS-SQL Server 2000 and like to sync it with the contacts in our public folder (Exchange 2003). Of course ye can do it manually, but is there a way to automate it? Or is it possible to make a public folder with all data stored on the sql-server? (kind of a view) Kind regards, Paul ...