Combination charting with two axis

I would like to create a combination chart with three chart types:
1. line chart to show month to month accum total growth for the year.
2. a single bar for each month showing the target.
3. a stacked bar for each month showing two actual total comprise of two
sub-groups.
I can not figure how to combine the bars and obtain one stacked bar and one
single bar.  The bars are either all stacked or all single.
0
JB (195)

You have to fake the clustered-stacked appearance through careful staggering
of the data:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html

Then copy the range for the "line", select the chart, and use Paste Special
to add the series as an XY series, with a subtype of lines and markers.
You'll probably have to fudge with the X values and the secondary axes to
make the markers appear where you want them.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to create a combination chart with three chart types:
> 1. line chart to show month to month accum total growth for the year.
> 2. a single bar for each month showing the target.
> 3. a stacked bar for each month showing two actual total comprise of two
> sub-groups.
> I can not figure how to combine the bars and obtain one stacked bar and
> one
> single bar.  The bars are either all stacked or all single.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Manually Setting Date/Time Range of Axis
I have an XY chart that takes data from two columns. The 1st column is a production amount (in cubic yards), while the second is the corresponding date/time. The data is plotted as expected (x = date/time, y = production). The workbook is automatically opened on a shift basis, to generate a shift report. As such, the data in the columns that the chart is looking at changes each time it is run. The problem with this is the time range on the x axis is not maximized for the date/time range in the column (i.e.: it shows a larger range than required). I would like to manually set the ...

PublishObject add chart to outlook
Hi, I am trying to code a VBScript to get Excel chart and paste in Outlook. For somereason, the email does not attach gif file but only html body. Do you have a solution for this? Set objChart = objExcel.ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 2") objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.PublishObjects.Add(xlSourceChart, chartFile, objChart.Parent.Name, objChart.Name, xlHtmlStatic, "weekly_chart", "").Publish True Set FStream = FSObject.OpenTextFile(chartFile, 1) strHTMLBody = FStream.ReadAll FStream.Close Set FStream = Nothing With MailItem .HTMLB...

Copy and paste a chart using a macro
I am trying to copy and paste a chart from one workbook to another and maintain all formatting (including titles, font sizes, colors etc) using an excel macro. So far I have something like this: ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Activate ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select ActiveChart.ChartArea.Copy Workbooks("Chartbook.xls").Worksheet("Section A").Paste Unfortunately, when I paste the chart the axes font size changes as does the plot area. ::Win98SE, Excel 2000:: ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum...

Use a loop to create multiple Charts
I am running a loop in VBA which is supposed to draw a new chart fo every (2) column(s) of data. However, I am not sure how to make it "jump" from column to column. Part of my program (does not include the "For i=1 to3 e.t.c.) is below The *high-lighted *part is the part I am trying to change. Instead of fixed reference I wanted to get the data I have in th _underlined__part. Any suggestions??? Sheets("OUTPUT All data").Select _Range(Cells(11,_2_*_i),_Cells(11,_2_*_i_+_1)).Select_ Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType ...

Major and minor gridlines on logarithmic axis excel 2007
In excel 2007 all service packs. Create a scatter plot with data greater than 1E13. Select logarithmic axis with any base (such as 10) Choose major and minor gridlines. When the data is large (> 1e13) only major gridlines show up. Minor gridlines only does work, but not major *and* minor. Are their any solutions? It's almost impossible to read a log plot without minor gridlines, and it's important to highly the major lines as well with a dark line. Log plots are essential in any engineering or scientific plotting. Excel is slowly and painfully becoming quite standard for...

colorIndex listing for Chart with autoformat settings
Hi, Is there an access through VBA to the listing of the Border.ColorIndex sequence used by Excel for SeriesCollection(n) in dependence of "n" in Charts based on default / autoformat settings ? All my trials to acceed to this parameter for individual curves lead to " - 4105" :-(( Thanks in advance Regards Jean -4105 means default, as you must have guessed. Getting the color of default-formatted series is not straightforward. You can start by figuring the color index of the bottom two rows of the palette, which Excel uses as default chart colors. Th...

Column chart with different column widths
I am trying to create a chart where the (y) vertical axis is one metric (%) and the (x) horizontal axis is also scaled as a %... In other words I would like each column to be a different height and width... I really appreciate any help you can offer... I am a student in finals and need to submit a paper by Thursday (5/14) night... Best, Lee Hi, You will find information on the chart type here http://www.andypope.info/charts/colwidth.htm http://www.andypope.info/charts/colwidth2.htm http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/marimekko-chart-utility/ Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP -...

How to merge two Excel files. #3
i m using office XP, i have lots of data in different excel files, each files include two or three worksheet, and all worshett are in different layout, how to merge all this excel files in one excel files, is there any kind of facility in excel ....?.......can any body help for that........? Thanx in advance, BrijLo81. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release Date: 9/29/2003 right click menu on sheet name, "select all sheets" and "Move or Copy" so you ca...

Chart Source Data Ranges Changing when Data Sheet updated from text file source.
I have a simple Excel wb with 2 sheets. Sheet 1 is simple Line Charts. Sheet 2 is the data for these charts. The data comes from a text file via the 'Import External Data' tool. The text file is filled throughout the day with data every 5 minutes starting at 00:00. Because the chart will contain 288 data points I've set my series values to"=<data sheet name>!$C$2:$C$289" I have 2 questions. 1) Whenever I refresh the Data Sheet from the external text file the series values in my charts increment by the number of new data points. This is no good as it causes my c...

Creating chart
Ok. I am really new at this and I want to create a chart that shows two different sets of data. Wendy already answered one of my questions in regards to the secondary axis. When I select the two sets of data and then use the chart wizard I always end up showing only one column. How do I create the second column showing the second set of data? Jon Peltier's charting intro may help you: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Charting101.html Perhaps you haven't left the upper left cell of the data range blank. Carl Johnson wrote: > Ok. I am really new at this a...

how do i merge two pipe charts to depict change
i would like to create a chart that depicts week to week progress for three items; i would lke to use a 3d pipe chart and have the next weeks' chart show the previous weeks chart and them on top of each column frpivy in a different color hos many units were added this week in each category...oj ...

Organisational Charts
I am currently trying to locate an MS CRM partner organisation which has an organisational/relationship chart product. So far I have viewed the products on offer from Salescentric and c360, but wondered if there were any others in the market. -- Thanks Nathan ...

Outlook XP & Synching two PCs
OK, I have one client, two PCs. He has a desktop at his office, a Sony notebook for the road AND, here it comes, a Nokia 9290 Communicator synching to both PCs. What I have done thus far is set up his mail on his desktop, tweaked it out so far as folders, rules, etc, and then exported to *.pst and imported onto the notebook. So, I have two PCs with identical e-mail profiles, etc. All is good so far. Now, when he fires up the notebook on the road and is gone for say a day or week or more, he then gets back to the office and has two DIFFERENT e-mail environments as all the mail on the noteb...

combining two cell values to one value to chart
Hello While making a chart I wish to combine two values from two seperate cells to make one value to send to a chart. In this case it is the values for the columns named S3 and S4. Enclosed is the ss please refer to sheet 3. I don't know the formula for adding the two and displaying. It's a bit confusing this ss formatting. The S3 col are L and S4 is N. I don't know if I have to make the calc show in a cell or just do it on the fly. Using the chart wizard it's the series values I believe is where a formula could go. thanks for any help given, Steve Sorry, looks like I ...

chart purchases by customer, various items or all together
I have a worksheet which shows all the purchases made by a customer over an extended period of time. Can someone tell me how to make a "chart" which (hopefully) will show a line starting on left and heading northbound as it moves to the right (sort of like what you see when they show the price of gasoline on the nightly news). I have posted the dat here http://bbdldarts.homestead.com/excelexample.html, and I also put commas between columns of info. It would be nice if I could get a chart that breaks it down by product and dat, not just total products. please help if you can ...

How can I make a small flip chart with divider tabs?
I am a sales trainer and I would like to make a small spiral bound flip book with tab dividers on the left side for answers to common objections. The size would maybe be 4" w X 6" h. Any suggestions for a template? ...

Values on 'y' axis
Hello, I just open an spreadsheet with some graphs I did a few days ago and it appears as if the values on the 'y' axis have been rounded up (0,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5....etc) instead of been in a scale (0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2.....etc). The source data for the graph has not changed. I would appreciate it if someone could let me knwo why this has happened and how can I change it back. Thanks Format Axis/ Number/ Decimal places? You could try changing from Number to General? -- David Biddulph "Belcha" <Belcha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF141E22-C1C...

pie chart in a report
I apologize if this has already been discussed - I read through several threads but didn't really find a solution. I need to include a pie chart on a report showing an total employee earned wage % and a total company paid benefit % in the pie. It needs to change with every record employee record. The chart's in the group footer. The chart looks just like it should in design view (2 colors) but when I switch to either report view or print preview, it becomes a one-color chart. Here's the SQL. If this has to do with this Row Source, would you please explain it s...

chart disappears #2
In excel 2007 I have data on a sheet from which I created a chart. I then moved the chart to its own sheet. I updated the data once a day for a couple days and the chart was also updated. Then one day I open the file and the chart is gone. The sheet it was on is still there. The data sheet is still there, but the sheet is gone (or not visible?) and I can't figure out why or how to get it back. This is happened twice now and is getting quite irritating. Any thoughts? I have been unable to reproduce this. I did what you did but my 'day' was about 1 1/2mins. The chart su...

XL2007 Pivot Charts: Path to data in another workbook keeps chang
I have 2 workbooks in the same folder (My Documents). 1 has several worksheets with raw data (Row 1 = headings, then data) 1 has several worksheets with pivot tables and pivot charts that are based on the data in the first worksheet. Every time I open the workbook containing the pivot tables and charts, the path to the data sources for each pivot chart and table has changed from My Documents to: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel Even if I edit the data source for each chart/table, and then save the workbook, when I open it again, the paths to the dat...

Is variable chart scale possible?
I would like to know if it is possible for the axis scales on a chart t be variable, without using auto-scaling. In other words, for each axis, I want the Minumum, Maximum, and Majo Unit to be the values of three particular cells in the worksheet. I would be ideal if I could simply put the cell addresses in the field for the min, max and major unit instead of just values, but this doe not seem to be possible. Is there any way around this? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from htt...

How to set this up for a chart?
We're comparing some new fixtures for our work vehicles to see how many miles they will last. Each fixture has several components. When we need to replace one, we record the odometer reading of the vehicle. How would I set this up to have a comparison chart? Let's say four vehicles. Each fixture was installed at a different odometer reading, but that was the "zero" for that vehicle. I have the odometer at replacement. Maybe the bottom scale as a mileage value higher than my total miles for any one vehicle, and the vertical scale as number of failures. But what would be...

Animated chart
Jon Peltier recently posted an article called "Gas Price Interactive Time Series" on his blog. Can anyone please explain how the animation works? The chart plots the data in the first two rows of the data sheet. The scroll bar under the chart is linked to cell A1 in the data sheet. This corresponds to the row of the data list which is listed in row 2 of the data sheet and plotted in the chart. The first row of the data sheet contains series names, which do not change. The second row extracts the values from the proper row using this formula: cell B2: =INDEX(B$9:B$808,$A$1) ...

Stationary chart when scrolling
Is it possible to pin the location of a chart so that when you scroll around, the chart maintains its position on the screen? Thanks. I am not aware of any way to do this -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "bflorox" <bflorox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A884AF6C-08B3-4AAE-9BB5-EA06EECF9FE2@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to pin the location of a chart so that when you scroll > around, > the chart maintains its position on the screen? > > Thanks. Hi, Only if you Freeze th...

Automatically Updating Charts for Additional Data
Hello, I have a data table to which I add sales volume on a daily basis. I then create a chart based on all the volumes in the data table. The only thing different from one day's chart to the next is the addition of the new day's sales volume. Is there a way I can cause the existing chart to automatically update whenever I add a new sales volume rather than needing to manually create the chart each day? This data table is used for all of our branches - one sheet per branch. Likewise we have 20 sheets for 20 branches, wherein we maintain the daily sales volume of all the bran...