column of text cells

I have a column of country names entered as text, and I need to graph the number of occurances of each country. Help please!
0
anonymous (74722)

Got it. Thanks anyway!
0
anonymous (74722)

Using variable names for cells
I seem to remember a technique where I could assign a variable name to the contents of a cell so that whenever I wanted to use the contents, all I had to do was call up the variable name. Unfortunately I cannot find the way to set up the process. Any suggestsions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks and a Happy New Year. -- Take out the trash to reply '05 FLHTCUI Hi dim rng as range set rng=activesheet.range("A1") msgbox rng.value -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ultraglide wrote: > I seem to remember a technique where I could assign a variable name to >...

Find MAX data in sheet (Cell)
How would one go about finding the cell that contains the MAX info, o say any/all cells that exceeds 8,000 characters/spaces in a Excel page -- confuzedagai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- confuzedagain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2943 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49148 1. Highlight the entire document 2. Select Format->Conditional Formatting 3. Select "Formula Is" 4. Input this formula =LEN(A1)>8000 5. Format with something obvious like green bac...

Average formula where blank cells are counted as zeros
I am trying to write an average formula that takes into account the blank cells. I had only cells A2, A4, A6 filled out, but when I do =average(A1:A6), it is not treating the blanks as zeros so the answer is much higher than it should be. Should I do a logic formula within the cells? If you know the range, you could do the division yourself: =sum(a1:a6)/6 But this would include other non-numeric cells in the count of cells (6), too. krwelling wrote: > > I am trying to write an average formula that takes into account the blank > cells. > > I ha...

changing numbers to text
Hi group, I have a long list of zip codes in column A that has been complied. the problem is that some are text and some are not. What I mean is that I "test" them with =ISTEXT(A1) for example, if they are text I get TRUE if not I get False. I want to convert all of them to Text so that I can export them to ACcess. I tried converting the ones that were not text by choosing the Text under Format menue/ Cells/ Number then Text but this doesn't convert it really. When I "test" it with =ISTEXT(), its still not a text. Any help is very much appreciated C. ...

hide hidden text from viewing
This is very confusing! Where is the option to turn off the viewing of hidden text in the document? I selected a number of hidden text and now I cannot turn it off so that others do not see it. I would recommend that your new version of Word includes something useful and easy to find in this regard! Thanks. There are (at least) two ways to unHide the Hidden Text: (1) with the Show Non-Printing Characters command (Ctrl-Shift-8, or the paragraph- symbol button on your toolbar or ribbon) and (2) a check-box in the View Options. If (2) is on, (1) won't override it. On ...

Cells not sorting right with other worksheets
I have some problems!!! First I have multiple worksheets in a workbook. And in one column that has some names. and the columns next to them has data which is yes/no go/ngo for each person. If I add a person it will update itself in each worksheet. But I need to sort it. So I sort it and it sorts fine in the worksheet I'm working in. But with the other worksheets it sorts it but the data for each person doesn't stay with the person... I hope I explained this problem to where someone can understand. PLEASE HELP!!! How do you have the referencews set between each worksheet? &qu...

text date to date format
I have column filled with: 'Apr 3 2005 4:37PM And I need to change it to: 04/03/05 4:37PM How do I get a textual date column into a sortable date/time column? I'm having problems because it sorts everything by alpha then numeric. For example, I have "Apr 15, 2005" before "Aug 10, 2003". I need to get these sorted by year, month, day...not alphabetically. Thanks in advance for your help! you are right: the filter is not a time but a alpha sort you may change the cell format or copy the value in an other cell and put the new format in the new column. ...

How to find cells with links to other workbooks?
I have a spreadsheet which shows under the edit menu links to other workbooks. I have tried to find where the links are without success. Is there a easy wy of finding such links? Hi you may try http://oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm and search for Findlink.zip (http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindLink.zip) "Bathonian" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet which shows under the edit menu links to other > workbooks. I have tried to find where the links are without success. Is there > a easy wy of finding such links? ...

Summing cells in pivot tables
I have a problem summing cells in a pivot table. When I double-click on a cell that I want to add, the formula from that cell gets added. Eventually I run out of characters. Is there a way to switch how the cell gets picked up. I can manually enter the cell addresses that I am trying to sum but that takes forever. Thanks, Ted There are instructions here for adding the Generate GetPivotData button to a toolbar, and toggling the feature on and off: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html Ted wrote: > I have a problem summing cells in a pivot table. When I double-cli...

Conditional format if cell=0 then font colour same as background .
I have linked a cell from another sheet. If the original cell is blank, 0 shows in the linked cell (text would be typed in source cell). To handle this, I conditionally formatted the linked cell, so if it equals zero, the font colour is the same as the background colour of the cell so you can't see the zero But the zero still prints even though it is not showing prior to printing Try the formula =IF(Sheet1!F14="","",Sheet1!F14) in the linked cell. HTH Sandy -- to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk "Paligap" <Paligap@discu...

Refresh pivot chart when info in a cell changes
To all, I am looking for help with a Macro. What I ultimately want to do is refresh a pivot chart when the user makes a selection from a list (in a data validation cell). For example, I am an end user that selects my territory from a "drop down". The pivot chart will update to the information that is directly related to my territory. Thanks in advance for your help. Excel 2007, PivotTable With Table dependent drop-downs instead of data validation drop-downs. With non-event-driven macros. http://www.mediafire.com/file/ygzjqyi2j1x/03_09_10.xlsm ...

Adjusting Text box size
In Access 2007, after creating a form using the wizard, all of the text boxes created for entering data are the same size. When I try to adjust the width of one, they all change width. How can I unlock or change this feature? I have deleted a box, and then re-added it. This sometimes works -- however if you get the size close to the size of the other boxes, it “locks in” again. I appreciate all sincere answers. Ron ah yes....a new feature in 07... in Design View; select the 'Arrange' tab then on the left side of my ribbon is: Tabular Stacked Remove You want t...

Display value of cell
Using Excel 2000 In a cell the formula shows instead of the value/result, how do I correct this? I want to see the formula. Reply to kdfoxca@yahoo.com Thanks. Are all formulas cells show the formulas or just one? Maybe you have a space before the = (Excel think it is text now) Or your cell is format as text -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Kenya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:050b01c3942b$e28b7240$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Using Excel 2000 > In a cell the formula shows instead of the value/resul...

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

Cell Reference #3
In a workbook, is it possible to know all the cells where a particular cell is referenced in a calculation. Specifically, if I make a change in one cell, what are all the cells that will be affected. ...

Maximum number of characters in a cell
Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255 characters? Bill Hi Bill, > Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255 > characters? A cell can contain about 32000 characters, but Excel will display only about a 1000 of them (depending on font and fontsize). Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP http://www.jkp-ads.com If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) in your text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much more text. -- HTH, RD ----------------------------------...

merge cells with a twist
A B C joe @ domain.com trying to merge cells in a row so that column a(joe) b(@) c(domain.com) and that result is joe@domain.com Thank you. =A1&B1&C1 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "jd" <jdumont@@novuscom.net> wrote in message news:uaAWelbgFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >A B C > joe @ domain.com > > trying to merge cells in a row so that column a(joe) b(@) c(domain.com) > and > that result is joe@domain.com > Thank you. > > =hyper...

Deleting a word from a Cell
Hi Can anyone help, i am trying to deletel the last word from a Cell My cell currently read: - M04274059519 Total and I need a formula that will delete the "total" word Would really appreciate some help linexe On Jan 21, 7:27=A0am, Linexe <l.clark...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Hi > > Can anyone help, i am trying to deletel the last word from a Cell > > My cell currently read: - =A0M04274059519 Total > > and I need a formula that will delete the "total" word > > Would really appreciate some help > > linexe C...

Number to text conversion ......HELP
Dear Friend.. I need help in converting formula calculation ( Number or Currency ) into Text EQ. Result = 2,500.00 converting to .....two thousand five hundred.. Thanks Check http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0001.htm at "The Access Web" -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Eko Hery" <eko@megaenterprise.com> wrote in message news:BCD8B0CE.1D8%eko@megaenterprise.com... > Dear Friend.. > I need help in converting formula calculation ( Number or Currency ) into > Text > > EQ. Result = 2,500.00 con...

referring cell in macro function
If a create a macro intended to be used as a function in a worksheet is there a property of the referring cell? I want to know what cell the formula is in. Dim callCell As String callCell = Application.Caller.Address Returns the cell address of the cell where the UDF is used. "zxcv" <zxcvnosend@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:aef3cafd-4c52-40a6-8348-ebf957b3abad@a21g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > If a create a macro intended to be used as a function in a worksheet > is there a property of the referring cell? > > I want to know what cell the form...

Combing Text with Ex. Field Name to Create A New Field Name....I Think?
Hello, I have a query that will return data from a table, and another query. Here is my question. This is an existing fuel database. It runs on a keylock system so there are keys numbered A1 to C10. The table returns a sum of fuel based on a key (for example A1). I have a set of fields from another existing query labelled DIFFA1, DIFFA2, etc. What I would like to do is return the value for "DIFFA1" when I am returning the information from Key A1. I would like to set up an expression something to the effect of: Expr1: "DIFF" & [Key] I did this and it returns the ...

time entery to the cell
any one can help me how to make the cell automatically take from the time of the computer... because i am using the timesheet tha can download from office online but the problem isour staff are key-in the correct time for there time in or time out... what i want is no need for them to enter the time, they just click the time in or time cell the time of the computer will be recorded to the cell.... Thanks a lot to all the expert that very helpfull..... jeff Hi see: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html for entering a timestamp automatically then a cell changes -- Regards Frank ...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...

Making cell change colour
Hi all I want to make a cell change colour 'on click'. Is there any way that this is possible? Help would be appreciated, Many thank darren --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi this would require VBA / using an event procedure like Selection_change. Do you want to go this way? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi all > > I want to make a cell change colour 'on click'. > > Is there any way that this is possible? > > Help would be appreciated, > > Many thank > > darren > > > --- > Message posted f...

Using a value from a cell inside a formula!
Hi! I've got two cells that contain the start and end row of a matrix in sheet. I want to use these row numbers in a =COUNT.IF formula to count th number of specified instances in this matrix. But my problem is this; how can I use the values in the two cell inside the COUNT.IF formula?? I should look something like this; =COUNT.IF(F"cell1":F"cell2";"=argument") As you can see, the column (F) is specified in the formula but the ro number needs to be fetched from cell1 and cell2. Can anyone help me with the correct syntax? Thanks! -M -- marsupilam --...