column chart changes my data

Hi I have attempted to make a column chart with error bars using
6.3	0.008199
6.8	0.0151625
7.5	0.006469
as my data, BUT when i highlight and insert chart my figures (6.3,6.8,7.5) 
change to 1,2, and 3. and my other figures change to 1-8
I am trying to show rate of reaction vs pH level
can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong as I dont normally have any trouble 
with these charts.I am using office 2003
-- 
thanks to all
0
3/5/2008 8:24:01 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
788 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 13

You should be using an XY chart for numerical value, particularly for 
scientific analyses.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"chrisswifto" <chrisswifto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:1E438C0C-587D-4478-BF29-5407BC033198@microsoft.com...
> Hi I have attempted to make a column chart with error bars using
> 6.3 0.008199
> 6.8 0.0151625
> 7.5 0.006469
> as my data, BUT when i highlight and insert chart my figures (6.3,6.8,7.5)
> change to 1,2, and 3. and my other figures change to 1-8
> I am trying to show rate of reaction vs pH level
> can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong as I dont normally have any 
> trouble
> with these charts.I am using office 2003
> -- 
> thanks to all 


0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/6/2008 4:11:43 AM
I cant use a XY scatter for this info, I need 3 columns listed 6.3, 6.8 and 
7.5 across bottom axis (this is the level of pH) and my 3 results on side 
upright axis (this is rate of reaction results) these results are a MEAN 
(average result) so I need to use the standard error bars (this part I am ok 
with), I am comparing rate of reaction with 3 different pH levels but with 
only 1 rate of reaction result per pH as they been averaged, PLEASE HELP as 
it wont allow me to input the data i need it keeps changing the figures.
-- 
thanks to all


"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You should be using an XY chart for numerical value, particularly for 
> scientific analyses.
> 
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
> 
> 
> "chrisswifto" <chrisswifto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:1E438C0C-587D-4478-BF29-5407BC033198@microsoft.com...
> > Hi I have attempted to make a column chart with error bars using
> > 6.3 0.008199
> > 6.8 0.0151625
> > 7.5 0.006469
> > as my data, BUT when i highlight and insert chart my figures (6.3,6.8,7.5)
> > change to 1,2, and 3. and my other figures change to 1-8
> > I am trying to show rate of reaction vs pH level
> > can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong as I dont normally have any 
> > trouble
> > with these charts.I am using office 2003
> > -- 
> > thanks to all 
> 
> 
> 
0
3/6/2008 9:06:02 AM
You don't care that the 6.3, 6.8, and 7.5 are not proportionately spaced 
according to their actual values?

You don't want to show the standard deviation of measurements at each pH? 
The standard error is meaningless if you have more than one data value 
averaged at each point.

If you make an XY chart you will get actual X values against actual Y values 
with no problem. A column chart does not expect numerical values for X 
values, it expects text labels. Finding none, it assumes you want to plot 
two numerical series, and since it thinks you have not specified category 
labels, it uses the easiest thing it can, which are counting numbers (1, 2, 
3, etc.). Three wrongs will not make a right, but if you want to make a 
column chart with that data, put a label like "Rate" in the cell above the 
column of reaction rates, and leave the cell above the pH values blank, then 
select the range and make the chart.

If you change your mind and decide to use meaningful error values for your 
error bars, put your standard deviations for the three means in the next 
column. Double click the series, click on the Y Error Bar tab, Click the 
Both icon, select the Custom Error Amount option, click in the (+) box and 
select the StDev values in the worksheet, then click in the (-) box and 
again select these values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"chrisswifto" <chrisswifto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:E98A899D-D254-4CD4-AAE2-B0E90A58F626@microsoft.com...
>I cant use a XY scatter for this info, I need 3 columns listed 6.3, 6.8 and
> 7.5 across bottom axis (this is the level of pH) and my 3 results on side
> upright axis (this is rate of reaction results) these results are a MEAN
> (average result) so I need to use the standard error bars (this part I am 
> ok
> with), I am comparing rate of reaction with 3 different pH levels but with
> only 1 rate of reaction result per pH as they been averaged, PLEASE HELP 
> as
> it wont allow me to input the data i need it keeps changing the figures.
> -- 
> thanks to all
>
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> You should be using an XY chart for numerical value, particularly for
>> scientific analyses.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>>
>> "chrisswifto" <chrisswifto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1E438C0C-587D-4478-BF29-5407BC033198@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi I have attempted to make a column chart with error bars using
>> > 6.3 0.008199
>> > 6.8 0.0151625
>> > 7.5 0.006469
>> > as my data, BUT when i highlight and insert chart my figures 
>> > (6.3,6.8,7.5)
>> > change to 1,2, and 3. and my other figures change to 1-8
>> > I am trying to show rate of reaction vs pH level
>> > can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong as I dont normally have any
>> > trouble
>> > with these charts.I am using office 2003
>> > -- 
>> > thanks to all
>>
>>
>> 


0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/6/2008 12:37:57 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: