Color Break in Line Charts?

I have a cash projection spreadsheet with a linked line chart.  In the
projection sheet, the font goes from black to green when the data goes from
actual to projected.

Is there a way to make the line or the x-axis change colors at the point
that the date does so (i.e., have the line turn green halfway through the
chart)?

Thank you in advance.

On Oct 23, 8:39=A0am, Mr. Platypus
<MrPlaty...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a cash projection spreadsheet with a linked line chart. =A0In the
> projection sheet, the font goes from black to green when the data goes fr=
om
> actual to projected.
>
> Is there a way to make the line or the x-axis change colors at the point
> that the date does so (i.e., have the line turn green halfway through the
> chart)?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Wow.  You and I asked the same question in two different ways.  I hope
one of us gets an answer.
0
es330td (2)
10/23/2008 1:56:44 PM
Hi,

Yes/No - not the axis in 2003, but suppose your lowest value is 0, that is
the x-axis crosses the y-axis at zero.  Add two new series to your data set
all of the values of which will be 0.  See below.  Add these two series to
the chart, turn their markers off and change their colors as you need.
Remove them from the Legend

Data   Dummy X1   Dummy X2
12         0
31         0
21         0
54         0                   0
34                              0
54                              0
61                              0

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Mr. Platypus" wrote:

> I have a cash projection spreadsheet with a linked line chart.  In the
> projection sheet, the font goes from black to green when the data goes from
> actual to projected.
>
> Is there a way to make the line or the x-axis change colors at the point
> that the date does so (i.e., have the line turn green halfway through the
> chart)?
>
> Thank you in advance.
Thank you much.  Unfortunately, that is not going to work.  Adding dummy data
will not be advisable as the chart is continually having data added to it.

It don't want to have to update a dummy data set every time.

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes/No - not the axis in 2003, but suppose your lowest value is 0, that is
> the x-axis crosses the y-axis at zero.  Add two new series to your data set
> all of the values of which will be 0.  See below.  Add these two series to
> the chart, turn their markers off and change their colors as you need.
> Remove them from the Legend
>
> Data   Dummy X1   Dummy X2
> 12         0
> 31         0
> 21         0
> 54         0                   0
> 34                              0
> 54                              0
> 61                              0
>
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
> --
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Mr. Platypus" wrote:
>
> > I have a cash projection spreadsheet with a linked line chart.  In the
> > projection sheet, the font goes from black to green when the data goes from
> > actual to projected.
> >
> > Is there a way to make the line or the x-axis change colors at the point
> > that the date does so (i.e., have the line turn green halfway through the
> > chart)?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
Hi,

2003 and earlier has no way to format the axis to more than 1 color.  You
can buy 2007 it lets you use gradient fill on the axis, but it is a gradient
not a solid color all the way to the half way point.

I suppose you can draw two lines using the line tool and format each to a
different colors then line them up over the axis.

You can check Jon Poltier's site but I doubt he has a solution.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Mr. Platypus" wrote:

> Thank you much.  Unfortunately, that is not going to work.  Adding dummy data
> will not be advisable as the chart is continually having data added to it.
>
> It don't want to have to update a dummy data set every time.
>
> "ShaneDevenshire" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Yes/No - not the axis in 2003, but suppose your lowest value is 0, that is
> > the x-axis crosses the y-axis at zero.  Add two new series to your data set
> > all of the values of which will be 0.  See below.  Add these two series to
> > the chart, turn their markers off and change their colors as you need.
> > Remove them from the Legend
> >
> > Data   Dummy X1   Dummy X2
> > 12         0
> > 31         0
> > 21         0
> > 54         0                   0
> > 34                              0
> > 54                              0
> > 61                              0
> >
> > If this helps, please click the Yes button.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Shane Devenshire
> >

> > "Mr. Platypus" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a cash projection spreadsheet with a linked line chart.  In the
> > > projection sheet, the font goes from black to green when the data goes from
> > > actual to projected.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to make the line or the x-axis change colors at the point
> > > that the date does so (i.e., have the line turn green halfway through the
> > > chart)?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
Hi,

There is no reason the dummy data has to be static.
You only need a few bits of information to draw 2 lines.
If you plot 1 additional data series as an xy-scatter with 2 points you
only need the start and finish x value to change. Y values would be zero
or whatever value your x axis crosses the Y.
These 2 values can be determined by formula. The formula can either be
stored in a couple of cells or named ranges if you do not want to use
the worksheet.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Combo Chart
I would like to do a combo chart. Any ideas? TIA Lacreeda Lacreeda - Plot all the data in a chart using the chart type you want to use for most of the series. Select one series you want to change, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and pick the chart type you want for this series. Repeat for any other series you want to change. Excel offers some built in combo types, but it's easy to make your own, and you can be much more flexible this way. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ Lacreeda wrote: > I wou...

Copying data from one chart to another

Force a page break in code
I need to force a page break in the Detail_OnFormat Event when a value changes. How do I do that? Thanks, Bill Bill wrote: > I need to force a page break in the Detail_OnFormat > Event when a value changes. How do I do that? > > Thanks, > Bill Insert a PageBreak control from the ToolBox bar at the desired location. Even though such a control is never "visible" other than in design view they do still have a Visible property. That property effectively turns on and off the PageBreak so you can minipulate that in your code. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP...

1 Chart

Visio 2003--Can't drag objects from templates into flow charts.
Utilizing Visio 2003 in an Microsoft XP environment, I have not been able to drag objects from templates onto flow charts. I do not understand why. ...

Time performance Chart
Greetings. (help) I need to develop a chart that graphically depicts an employees start time and end time each day. This chart would be a bar chart. The bar chart would have days of the month along the bottom, and the side would start at 00:00 at the bottom and end at 24:00 at the top. I need to be able to enter an employees start time and end time and have it charted along the bar. So if the employee started at 07:00 and ended work at 18:00, the chart would show a colored bar that corresponds to the start time and the end time. Also, if an employee came back to work the chart would refl...

Custom Toolbar in Chart
How do you create a custom toolbar with a ComboBox that will be avaliable when a chart is active? I'd like to have a TOOLBAR where a ComboBox (or ListBox) is used to select a variable. This would then change the source data for the chart. I've got the code to change the chart, I just can't get a ComboBox in a Toolbar to work properly when a chart is active. Tx, Randall I'm not sure what you mean by "I just can't get a ComboBox in a Toolbar to work properly when a chart is active." If you mean it should be active only when a chart is... One 'tric...

Color not working
I am operating Windows 2000, using Office Pro 2003. I am no longer able to format my cells with colors, either shading or text coloring. I have run the repair feature, but it didn't work. Bold, Underline, and similar functions still work. Please help. Thanks. CC Have a look at this: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 Biff >-----Original Message----- >I am operating Windows 2000, using Office Pro 2003. I am >no longer able to format my cells with colors, either >shading or text coloring....

Chart
Does anyone know if there are some "Add-Ins" for Excel that allow to use gauges that look like "Speedometers" (circular gauges)? Please refer to http://www.infommersion.com/demos/portlets/demoshell.html#demos for the kind of graph I'd like to include in a spreadsheet. Thanks, Tom Tom, see if this will work for you http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Exc...

how to automatically suppress space before after column break?
Having Spacing Before and After on some of the styles, I seem to be unable to have the space before at the beginning of a column automatically dismissed when applying a column break. I have tried a couple of options under compatibility, but to no avail. This in on Word 2003. The No HTML function + No Space Before after column break do not solve the problem. Can you help please? Tools | Options | Compatibility: Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break. If this isn't working, then check to make sure you don't have an empty paragraph before the first text pa...

Page break preview & blue line
I using Excel 2003 In page break preview I have always do some thing wrong I'm just pull the blue line by using mouse all page was destroyed It there any tips to return the blue line to the Default pages size setting As far as I know the 'default' print area is all the data, and once you have changed the print area and saved the file you can not get it to go back to the previous setting. If you have problems with this or any other proceedure do try to remember to save your file before you do the awkward bit and then you can go back to the saved copy it it does not work. ...

... I want to change a chart type ...
I have a "Line - Column" chart in my spreadsheet. My Bars represent the month which is in a Linked Cell. The Value of the Bars is a Dollar amount from a Linked Cell. The Line represents a Target Dollar Value. I would like to add a second line that would represent a count from a linked range of cells. Can I edit my existing chart, or do I have to create a new one? Could you give me a few pointers? Darrell Select and drag the new column onto the chart. In the resulting dialog box, ensure you specify 'new series'. Once XL finishes adding the series, if it is not the...

Problem with charting Net income vs Year
Im having some problems with my Excel chart. It will not plot Net Income vs Year. It keeps trying to treat Year as a different data series. It will work if I use text i.e. a1990, a1991, etc. but it refuses to use 1990, 1991... Any Ideas??? Use an "XY (Scatter)" chart, instead of a "Line" chart. Jerry Hunter wrote: > Im having some problems with my Excel chart. It will not plot Net Income vs Year. It keeps trying to treat Year as a different data series. It will work if I use text i.e. a1990, a1991, etc. but it refuses to use 1990, 1991... Any Ideas??? Delete the co...

copy-paste from excel to powerpoint
Office 97 When I copy a number of cells from Excel to powerpoint, I can't get rid of the grid lines. There are no borders. When I'm in Excel, I see the faint grid lines as you normally would. Unfortunately, these lines also display in powerpoint. How do I stop that behaviour. Thanks so much for any help. Diana Select all the cells you are copying. Then: Format > Cells... > Patterns Then select white color ( bottom right) When the backgound color is set the gridlines vanish unless borders are turned on -- Gary''s Student "Cowtoon" wrote: > Off...

What is 'Align Text to Base Line Guide'?
Trying to make sure all lines have the same amount of space between them I selected paragraph from the format menu and under the line adjustments there is a box 'align text to base line guides' Ok I did that, now there are lines at the margines of my newsletter. What are these? Also selecting this pushed my text down from the top edge of the text box. What is this? The baseline guide measurements are in the Arrange, Layout Guides, Baseline tab. There is help in the Help menu. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Go_Girl3647" <GoGirl3647@discussions.microsoft.com...

command for breaking link in excel is not seen.
i have copied files containing fromulas to another file. while opening the new file, each time, it is asking whetehr to update the data from parent file. I wish to break the link in second file, but could not find the command for that. while opening links, it shows only three commands, which odes not include command for ' breaking links'. Hi Suresh, If the links are no longer required, delete the link formulae or convert them to values. You may find Bill Manville's FINDLINK.XLA addin useful This is freely downloadable at: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp --- Regards, ...

grayscale autoshape changes to color when converting to PDF
When converting from Microsoft Publisher 2007 to Adobe Acrobat 8.0 PDF, the autoshape picture that we changed to grayscale changes back to color when reviewing the created PDF. Are you setting Acrobat to print in black and white? Select the PDF printer, properties, paper/quality tab. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CDJ" <CDJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BE9EE01-97DB-4AB6-BD9C-25E27E0BB68D@microsoft.com... > When converting from Microsoft Publisher 2007 to Adobe Acrobat 8.0 P...

Highlight color for selected items
How can I find out what color is used for highlighting selected items (for example in Windows Explorer)on a users computer? Normally it is a blue color, but a user can change that. "Urban Olars" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:071c01c3c941$3db2c890$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How can I find out what color is used for highlighting > selected items (for example in Windows Explorer)on a users > computer? > Normally it is a blue color, but a user can change that. See if it's GetSysColor/COLOR_HIGHLIGHT. -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] Take a ...

Sequentially number lines automatically

IE 6/ActiveX assert in CTLNOWND.CPP line 305
Hello, I have a problem with an ActiveX inside a web page. A random ASSERT in CTLNOWND.CPP line 305 occours during a GetDC first call. It's seems wnd handle is still NULL (it begin valid immediatly after). If I retard calling putting a button in html page it work. CDC* COleControl::GetDC(LPCRECT lprcRect, DWORD dwFlags) { ASSERT((m_hWnd != NULL) || (m_bInPlaceSiteWndless && m_bInPlaceActive)); ..... This problem occours random (more times on faster machines and in release mode) and just on "init" time on my control. Probably my control does this operation in ...

modify linked cells without breaking link
I have a workbook with a number of worksheets (2003.) The 2nd and 3rd worksheets have cells that are linked to the 1st worksheet. This workbook will be used to schedule production. The 1st worksheet has a list of products that we produce. The 1st worksheet has a column for the min # of cases we need to keep in stock at all times and the max # of cases we must keep in stock at all times. The 1st worksheet also contains a column where the production scheduler would enter the actual # of cases in stock. The 2nd worksheet in the workbook takes the actual cs in stock and compares ...

FormatAutoshape->ColorsAndLines->Fill->Color->Background
Does anyone know what the above switch does? As far as I can see, it forces a fill of white. I am using Office 2003 with Windows XP. It forces the fill to match the backgrouns fill at any point (I guess you have a white background). Give your slide a background picture or gradient (right click > format background), cover it with eg a plain blue rectangle. Now insert a circle and do as you did above. Move the circle around to see how it works. -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials...