Cluttered labels on refresh

I have a pie chart that gets its info from a pivot table.
My problem is every time I refresh the pivot table all of
the labels for the pie slices get s cluttered up and you
can't read them.  So I then have to manually go and
separate each label. Is there a way for it automatically
spread them out.

Thanks,
Chance

0
jsmyth (4)

Chance -

Microsoft admits that pivot charts have a problem losing their
formatting when you refresh the pivot tables.

XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting (215904)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904

They recommend that you record a macro while fixing your chart, then
rerun the macro whenever you refresh the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Chance wrote:
> I have a pie chart that gets its info from a pivot table.
> My problem is every time I refresh the pivot table all of
> the labels for the pie slices get s cluttered up and you
> can't read them.  So I then have to manually go and
> separate each label. Is there a way for it automatically
> spread them out.
>
> Thanks,
> Chance

Ron Bovey chart labeller
As near as I can tell, the bovey chart labeller comes as Excel add-in. Unfortunately, the students who use my labs cannot install add ins on the computers. Is there a way to convert this to a macro? -- Gary Klass gmklass@ilstu.edu Editor, PSRT-L 4600 Politics and Government Illinois State University Normal, Illinois 61790 http://LILT.ILSTU.EDU/gmklass (309) 438-7852 (fax) 438-7638 The Chart of the Week: http://LILT.ILSTU.EDU/gmklass/cow Gary The modules and forms with code are not protected so I suppose Rob would not mind if you make t...

Looking for Datmax label format
Hi. Has anyone had success printing price labels with a Datamax printer? I have tried using the RMS Label Designer, but have not had much success. I'm able to query data and send it to the Bar Tender program via access, but that is very labor-intensive. Anyone have a working template I could look at? Failing that, any advice on how to develop my own template or find another way to print labels directly from RMS would be appreciated. I'm using a Datamax E-4203. Thanks Since no one answered my post, taking the bull by the horns, I opened up the label designer. Since I need priceta...

Label for totals in group footer
I have a group header in my report called “Category” that contains two categories. I also have a group footer for category that contains my sum/totals. I want to add a label beside the totals in the group footer that relates to the category. How do I do this? I assume I need some type of expression. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you! AccessKay wrote: >I have a group header in my report called �Category� that contains two >categories. I also have a group footer for category that contains my >sum/totals. I want to add a label beside the totals in the gro...

2003 moves minus signs to trail data labels!
My "minus signs" are trailing their data labels on my excel charts. Instead of: -27.6% It's displaying: 27.6%- The numbers in the reference cells are formatted normally with the minus sign before the number (-27.6). My only thought is I just upgraded from 98 to 2003. I did not have this problem in 98. What do I do? John - Sounds like somebody applied a custom number format. Select the labels, press CTRL+1 to format, and on the Number tab, select one of the standard percentage formats. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Servic...

Refresh Graphic Image #2
Hello, I have copied and pasted a graph (Stock Chart) to my excel sheet for analysing.Now I would like to refresh to update it.What is the easy mwthod to do it or if i like to write a macro, What are the commands. ...

Excel 2000 Data Labels
Does anyone know how I can assign data labels to data in a cell. For example say I had a file of survey data and the data values in the cell stood for: 1=strongly disagree, 2=disagree, 3=neutral, 4=agree and 5=strongly agree, is it possible in Excel to assign such labels to the data values as can be done in say SAS or SPSS? Peter, I think you have the numbers 1 - 5, and want to get the corresponding text. Make a table: 1 | Strongly disagree 2 | Disagree 3 | Neutral etc. Now in the cell where you want the text, use: =VLOOKUP(A2, ReferenceToTable, 2, FALSE) A2 is the cell contai...

Data Labels #14
In Microsoft Excel 2007, is it possible to change the content of all data labels (on all series) to include series name, category name, etc? I am only able to change these one at a time. Why can you change the position of all of the labels at one time, but not the content? Hi, You can turn on and modify all data labels at once by selecting the chart, not the series, and choosing Chart Tools, Layout, Data Labels, More Data Label Options. If this helps, please click the Yes button. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "thomas022" wrote: > In Microsoft Excel 2007, is it possibl...

how do I surpress the printout of an empty field and its label?
I have 18 products and the name and address all in one record in the original Excel spreadsheet. My customer enters a number for the amount of a desired product. Of the 18 products a person may want 3 of one and 2 of another so the other 16 fields are null and I do not want them to print out on my report. want I want to print is: Joe Shmoe 123 Any place dr. NY,NY 12345 3 Book "A" 2 Book "B" What I don't want is what I get: Joe Shmoe 123 Any place dr. NY,NY 12345 3 Book "A" 2 Book "B" Book "C" Book "D" the other 14 g...

Update label and record query steps
Hi, I have a time consuming import code which has multiple steps. I amend the label caption to show which step the import is on but would like to show all steps and if possible place these steps in an archive table as the process is run by several users. At the moment I have: 1 - Preparing import...... which is replaced by 2 - Importing cust table 114,240 records (est. dur. 1 min)......... which is replaced by 3 - Importing sales table 842,600 records (est. dur. 4 mins)....... etc etc What I would like is: Query steps...... 18/02/2010 23:30:30 - Step 1 - Pre...

Importing series labels from a column in a scatter plot
I'm trying to create a scatter chart with about 110 individually labele data points. I've got the data in three consecutive columns with th name in the first column but I can't for the life of me figure out ho to get excel to import the names from column A as the series name fo the associated xy data in column B and C. Here's an diagram of m problem. A B C Dogs 5 8 Cats 3 3 Mice 4 2 ... I want a point labeled "Dogs" at (5,8), "Cats" at (3,3), "Mice" (4,2 and so on. Is there any shortcut here or am I going to have to m...

Attachment Label quirk in 2003
Hi, I have searched and have not been able to find this reported anywhere. In Outlook 2003 I tried to change teh label on an attachment but the file name is still displayed in the message body even when the label has been changed. I change the label by right clicking on the attached file and selecting properties. This allows me to change the value for the label. In 2000 the displayed label would change as well but in 2003 it remains the file name. Is there any way to correct this so the label is displayed in the message body when it is changed? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

typing different address onto one label sheet
I don't see how to view an entire label sheet so that I can type different addresses on each lable. I was able to do this with the old "picture it publishng." The way it is now, it only lets you type one address and prints them on all of the labels. Am I missing something? You will have to layout your page manually. Select the appropriate label from the page setup. Click "Adjust Label printing"(2003) Make a note of the margins and gaps. These will be the numbers you will want to type in the Arrange, Layout Guides. If you are using Publisher 2007, select the s...

MFC Paint screen does not refresh
Hi I have a VC6 app that I am trying to develop. It takes a 700 maps and processes each one individually the program is set around one big loop I intend that it should paint all the maps however it just paints the first and the last map at the end of the major loop I have an Invalidate(); UpdateWindow(); it does not force an update except for the first and last map If however I do a Invalidate(); UpdateWindow(); AfxMessageBox("next one",MB_ICONEXCLAMATION|MB_OK); then I can step through each map - not very attractive given there are 700 maps I tried to use Inval...

Auto-Refresh Sharepoint
I would like to know how this is normally accomplished out there in the real world. We're looking at putting some of our Excel Reports out on our Sharepoint Intranet - Naturally, we need to set up a DSN on the server. But up until now, we've had developers refreshing the data locally, on their own machines, and then sending the Excel file to the manager who needed it. Doing it this way, we only had to use Windows Authentication. First - is this commonly done? Second - how do you setup the authentication? Any input would be appreciated. ...

Too many Post Messages causing app not to refresh
Hi, In my App, I am posting messages quite often. Still, the App is unresponsive and does not refresh as quickly as it = should. The only thing I can think of is in MainFrame, I am doing a=20 SendMessageToDescendants(), which could be causing the problem. I am thinking that sending too many PostMessages could be causing the = app not to refresh as quickly as it should. I would like the app to be responsive in spite of the post messages. Is there anyway of going about doing that? Thanks, >In my App, I am posting messages quite often. >Still, the App is unresponsive and does not ref...

Custom Labels
I had created several custome labels for Word 2000. They now seem to have disappeared; still using Word 2000. Where should I look to try and find them? Alex Several possibilities. 1: When in File, Open... and searching for these files, make sure the "Files of Type" is set to either all Word Files, or All Files. It may have gotten set to a different file type, thus filtering OUT .DOC files. ....or... the file extension (.doc) may have gotten wiped out somehow (renaming the file with extensions visible?), and may no longer be associated with Word. 2: Go to &...

Address Contact field to be available in the Shipping Label Report
Please include the Address Contact field in the Shipping Label Report. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=1158d4e9-ea03-4f92-ac38-a9987b25dc94&dg=microsoft....

Formatting long decimal numbers as TEXT cell, not refreshing?
I have some long numbers in an Excel cell such as 0.100300015999999. Since these are part numbers I do not want to specifiy the formatting with a certain number digits past the decimal. In the cells they currently only display 9 digits past the decimal (i.e. 0.100300015) even though the full number is contained in the cell as displayed in the formula bar. I reformat them as a TEXT cell and it does not change. I can click on the number in the formula bar (i.e. where it is displayed in the excel space below the ribbon bar) and the specific cell will then properly change and display the...

label print
I have a spreadsheet that works out costs...page1 then invoice page 2 Then another for receipt. This info is got from page 1 and auto transfers to the other pages for me so its ready to print. The one link I dont have is to have another page for printing the address label on to a sticker.I can get to print onto an envelope but have a couple of issues with that (printer) Can this be easily done on excel if at all. or do I have to got to word and print using a template. The address will change every time. thanks ...

Cannot choose "series name" for label
Excel in Office XP offered the choice of "Series Name" "Category Name" or "Value" in the "Format Data Series" popup. Now I have Office 2007 and it seems that Excel has lost the ability to choose. It looks like the only option available is to "Add data labels" which unfortunately labels the series with the value and not the series name. Is there a way to add the series name or get around this (without manually tpying it in which I am doing now?) Hi, To specify the ranges/values for the series data, labels and names you can use Select Da...

multiple labels
How can I print labels when the data base indicates a number of labels. In other words, it I need 2 address labels for one person and then 6 address labels for the next person. In my data base I have a column that states the number of labels needed for each address. Does this make sense? Please advise. Thankyou Try the KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179288/en-us -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Penny T" <Penny T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5432D36B-FF63-41B6-A42...

Moving Category Labels on Graphs with negative values

Why can't I see the data labels I just added?
I have a stacked column chart I created last week with three data series. I added a fourth series today. I have data labels on the original three, and tried adding data labels to the fourth series. Excel acts like I added the labels by giving me a choice to format them, but I can't see them at all. I've tried changing the font color, but they don't show up at all. Three of the four data series are in consecutive columns B-D and the fourth series is in a non-consecutive column F. Does this have anything to do with it? I have Windows XP and Excel 2007 with SP1. What am I doin...

Merging numbers in labels
I want to label several hundred slides using labels with individual numbers and classifications like this: CS - 1 (CS for color slide, with individual numbers starting with 1 going to 84). I've set up a custom label templet in Word 2007 for Slide PROlabels but can't figure out how to put individual numbers on them without labeling each one. I've tried setting up some sort of merge system through Excel, but that's a total mystery to me. Is there anyway to accomplish this? Also, I can't change the font type or size for printing on labels even though I've...

Add data label that was once deleted ...
Hi All, I've made a Waterfall chart once (actually Jon did ... ) ..but I deleted an individual data label of a certain series. Now I would like to get it back ...but how? All help appreciated, Sige XL97 ...