Cluster AND Stacked Bar chart

Hi All:

I'm curious whether I can create a combination cluster AND stacked bar
chart.  I have a group of students I'm tracking out over a number of
semesters.  As semesters progress, I'd like to indicate the number that
engage in a certain beahvior (stacked bars).  I'm tracking four different
cohorts.  Ideally I'd like to lay the cohorts side-by-side.  Furthmore, I'd
like to display differences within each cohort by gender, ethnicity, age, and
disability (cluster bars).  By way of example, un my mind's eye I'd have a
chart for gender that would group four male student cohorts and female
student cohorts and within each cohort (i.e., horizontal bar) create a
stacked bar that displayed semester-by-semester participation for each
cohort/population.  If I'm seeing it correctly, I'd be able to easily compare
changes across time within group (e.g., male students) or display differences
between groups (e.g., male v. female students in the first cohort, in the
second cohort, etc.).  Does this make sense or am I completely off my rocker?
 Can it even be done?  If so, how?

Thanks in advance, your help is very much appreciated!

jim
0
Fillpot (1)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jim Fillpot <Jim@Fillpot.?.microsoft.com.invalid> said:

>I'm curious whether I can create a combination cluster AND stacked bar
>chart.

You can, but it's an exercise in lateral thinking: what does a "stacked"
bar look like when only one of the ranges has any value? Answer, it
looks just like a single cluster bar.

What does the stacked bar where every series except the "cluster" series
has a value look like? Answer, one that isn't the cluster bar.

What does a stack where *no* series has a value look like? Answer, a gap
between clusters. These three techniques together should let you build
exactly the look you want.

(for a bonus, what does a "stacked" bar where one or other series has a
value, but never both, look like? Answer, a bar that changes color
according to a formula, that is, a conditionally-formatted bar)

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Font Size for Values in Charts
Hello! I'm creating very simplistic charts showing just one value. Example: a pie chart showing 97% satisfaction. The 3% will be there but I deleted the text showing the value. My desire is to showcase the 97% - the document will be printed as an 11x17 poster, but I'm doing it in excel b/c we are creating multiple sheets for multiple posters. The problem is that I can't make the 97% any larger than 24 pt. font without the % sign going on a second line. I would like to make the font 48 pt or larger. Also, I can not put the 97% in a text box on top of the chart b/c it's linked...

Need to create a pie chart
I need to create a pie chart, and I am running into some problems. I has been a long time since I have last done this, and was hoping tha someone could help me. I have a column named COMPLETED. I this column it either has a Y or N. I need to have a Pie chart so that it shows the % of Completed Y and of Completed N. I am having some problems coming up with how to set this up. I hav tried the Chart Wizard, however I am just too confussed. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If your data are in A2:A100 (with A1 as a header), then in some empty rang...

Moving Excel Charts into Word Documents: font sizes change
May I please ask you to help me? When I copy an Excel chart and paste it into a Word document, all font sizes change. On the original, the font of the labels on the y-axis is larger than that for the x-axis, and yet once I paste the chart into Word, the font of the labels on the x-axis is much larger than the font of the labels on the y-axis. I have objects in the title of my chart [Brownstone equation - "alpha squared"]. In the orginal [excel chart] these objects are of the same size as the letters in the chart title. However, once I paste the chart into Word, these o...

how do you make a line of a chart change color halfway through?
How could you change the color of a line in a line chart so that at some point on the graph the line changes color? Say like the line chart shows data over the months of a year but at month July, the line on the chart changes from blue to green and is green the rest of the months. I am asking about 1 line being two colors. Hi, You could format each segment of the line. Select the series and then use the Right cursor to move through the segments. Note if you only have 1 series changing a section of the series will cause the legend to report each segment. The other way is to use multip...

scroll bar movement
When I grab and move the scroll bar the cells do not move until I release the bar. How do I make the cells scroll with the bar? I am using Excell 2000. It's annoying (use 2k at home), but that's the way it is. BTW - '03 (at work) doesn't have the problem (don't know about intervening version(s)). -- Regards; Rob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Jeff Ashcraft" <Jeff Ashcraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22E41629-5380-4A3B-85D5-10D37FBC85BD@microsoft.com... > When I grab and move the scroll ba...

Overlay charts in excel
I've figured out how to overlay charts, but can't figure out how to make my colored charts transparent so that the data from both charts can be read (like when using an overhead projector and transparencies). I also download some macro from another question posted on here, thinking it would help, but it didn't. Hi, Try setting the chart and plot areas to having no fill. This can be found on the patterns tab of the format dialog. Cheers Andy Amanda wrote: > I've figured out how to overlay charts, but can't figure out how to make my > colored charts transparen...

Moving Database Paths on a cluster (5.5) KB278464
Config: - Win2k Cluster (SP4) - NT4 domain - Exchange 5.5 (SP4) Requirement: - Need to move the PRIV and PUB IS to a new drive. The KB article KB278464 outlines the correct proceedure, but lists Exchange 5.5 and OS NT4 in the "Applies to" section at the end of the article. My question is, will this proceedure also work properly on the Win2k OS? -- Tim. I believe it should work... "Tim Munro" <Plasmamage@ColdMail.com> wrote in message news:ODC2QsvfEHA.3024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Config: > - Win2k Cluster (SP4) > - NT...

create chart /table excel-save, close & reopen colors change? Why
When I create a chart/table in Excel - save, close & reopen to use again, the colors have changed for my formating. How do I set the formating so that the colors stay the same - I have tried styles with no luck. The colors need to be the company approved. Thank you, Anne, I am unable to reproduce yr problem. Excel should NOT override yr manual settings. However,you can set yr company colours as default under Tools/Options/[Color tab]. Here are the colours Excel uses by default for the workbook. (Under that thin line you see the defaults for fill and line colours.) Hope this...

Problem with code that inspects thread context and dumps stack trace
Hi! Some years ago, I had to debug a Java application that had a deadlock problem. It wasn't so hard, because I've been told about a JVM command (now, I don't even remember how to activate it!) that dumps the status of all threads in an app, including "what they are waiting for" (locks). Now I'm in the "real" world of C++, Win32 applications and MFC (no virtual machines around!). We have many multithreaded applications: what if some bug causes a dedlock, e.g. in a test scenario? We must inspect it, and I'd like to have a tool to simplify my life. Does s...

Need Help Adding Line to Bar Graph #2
Thank you both! Exactly what I needed -- jcstoddar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jcstoddard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1485 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26485 ...

Align Line Charts By Milestone Dates?
I'm a chart neophyte. I have a worksheet with multiple line charts, each line depicting total hours per month per project. I would like to align the lines to a common milestone, like "start of detailed design". Each project of course has a different date for this milestone. Other than knowing that somewhere I'll have to specify the dates of the milestone for each project, I have no idea of what to do. Any help/insight will be appreciated. Thanks, Mike Each data series has a column of dates and a column of percent complete values. I'll use columns A and B in...

View & Insert missing from menu bar!?!?!
Don't know what happened but View & Insert no longer appear in my menu bar. Anyone know how I can add them back in??? All you should have to do is click on them once and they should be there next time you go into that menu. Let us know if that doesn't work... JG "trixiebme" wrote: > Don't know what happened but View & Insert no longer appear in my menu bar. > Anyone know how I can add them back in??? How can I click on something that is not there? "Jonathan G." wrote: > All you should have to do is click on them once and they should...

How do I auto-expanding SourceData range for charts
How do I auto-expand the SourceData range for charts when I add a new row to my data table. I have 49 charts that take 49 data tables. I'd like to be able to just add a new row to each table and have the charts automatically expand their SourceData ranges. Thanks. Vince - You can have your chart autoexpand when data are added. This is done for each series, not for the source data all at once, using dynamic defined names as the chart series data, as described in a couple examples and a lot of links on my web site: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html...

Don't chart X-axis without values.
On a line chart I am plotting two individual columns and then SUM(ming) these two for a total. Future dates of the individual columns have no data BUT the formula for SUM(ming) the two results in zero (0) which is plotted on my chart. I've tried a number of approches to the formula, blank (""), and Null (which results in a string and causes an error. How can I leave my formula in the future dates and not effect my chart. Obviously, with moving from 300k to zero in one week is scary. Thanks, Hank Hank - Excel can't return a NULL or BLANK from a function (not t...

Display Multiple Bar Widths
Does anyone know if there's a way to automatically display different bar widths for different values? For example, I'm working on a market share analysis. I have three product categories A, B, C. Let's say the size of the market for product A is $5M, B is $2.5M and C is $2.5M. Then let's say that the market for product A is owned 50% by Company1 and 50% by Company2. Same for products B and C. What I'm hoping to do is for excel to make the bar for Product A twice as wide as the bar for Products B and C, and shade the bar to show 50% of Product A going to Company1 and...

How do I set up a stacked bar chart using military times?
When my values are time, whenther they are reagular or military, the bottom bar is correct, but the others are not. As anexample, if I want a stacked bar that shows the following 3 times: start work 8:00 lunch 12:30 clock out 16:30 how do I get the bars displayed correctly as well as the "displayed values"? I have just put up a proposed solution for you at:- www.pierrefondes.com - first (top) example on the home page. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks! "Healthcare Quality Analyst" wrote: > When my values are time, whenther they ar...

How to chart "Power Factor"
Can anyone tell me how to create an Excel chart for 'Power Factor', which is an electrical term. Power Factor uses an y-axis 'reference' of 1 (unity), and a typical graph could look like (using Courier New font) that shown below. Power Factors above the reference line are called 'Leading' Power Factors and are positive, and those below the line are called 'Lagging' Power Factors and are negative. | L +0.6| * e | * P a +0.7| * O d | * W I +0.8| * E n | * R g +0.9| * ...

Icon in status bar?
Hello everyone! I want to set icon on status bar of my dialog based application. I`m doing that like this: //.... HICON hIcon=LoadIcon(hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_ICON)) m_StatusBar.GetStatusBarCtrl().SetIcon(0,hIcon); //.... OK! It works, but in status bar is drawn in 32x32 rectangle. How to force application to draw icon in its original dimensions, and how to choose dimensions that I need from the image that contain more than one size? Thank you... Regards, Zeljko >I want to set icon on status bar of my dialog based application. > >I`m doing that...

How do I change the color of the timeline boxes in my Ghant chart
My ghant chart automatically boxes out my time line when I input my start and end dates for each activity. How can I change the color of the time line? I want to make different activitites different colors. What method are you usgint o create this Gantt chart? Have you customised a stacked bar chart yourself using suitably-calculated data? Have you used a template or some clever VBA code? Are you actually using Excel (and which version)? or some other tool (eg Visio) to do this? Tell us more and we can help you more! Adam On 11/03/2010 15:34, iswimfly100 wrote: > My gh...

Accessing the call stack in an Excel VBA macro?
There is a control which lists the call stack members when you are in the VBA programming environment. I need to access this from within a VBA macro at run time. Does anybody have a clue how to do this? According to Ken Getz in the VBA Developer's Handbook... "VBA doesn't provide any method for retrieving this information" -- You would have to write your own code to keep track of calls/releases. -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA (compare stuff, find stuff, remove stuff: http://tinyurl.com/XLCompanion) "Mike Suman" <mcsuman@eptsystems...

New Business Portal pages not showing "Edit Title Bar Properties"
Hi, I have created a new "BusinessPortal WebPart Page" in Business Portal 4.0. I'm able to see the navigation, Company dropdown in the new page but while editing the page i'm not able to see the option "Edit Title Bar Properties" while it was showing for the other pages which comes with BusinessPortal 4.0. How can i edit the Title for a new "BusinessPortal WebPart Page"? Thanks, Mohan Mohan, Thanks for using the newsgroups. I tried your scenario in my environment. After creating the new BP web part page, I chose Site Settings > Edit Page. I...

Chart area color
Is it possible to use more than one color for the line, bar, or column chart's background area? I would like to be able to select 3 ranges on the Y axis to have the background area display in 3 different colors to indicate performance standards. For example, student test grades of 0-50 would be red, 51-80 would be yellow, and 81-100 would be green. If so, how can this be done? Thanks for your input. Rae - Start with this data: Grades Bad 50 Okay 30 Good 20 Select this range and make a stacked column chart, with series in rows. These are your colored bands; format them in red, yellow,...

Income / expense / net comparison over 4 years in one chart
How do I create a chart that compares the Income, Expense and Net Income across multiple years (4-5 years)? By "Income" do you really mean net revenue? Due to the potential changes in magnitude of gross revenue, net revenue, total expense, and net operating income, I would suggest creating three seperate graphs. The first graph would show net revenue, the second total expense, and the last net operating income. This approach would be much simpler for you to create as well as for the viewer to understand than trying to combine all three components. I would use a simple ba...

Charts different data sources
Hi, My problem. I have a workbook with more than 50 worksheets. All the worksheet have the same structure and each I would like to embed 3 different chart, one for income, other for cost and another for Ebitda. I would like to make a template for each chart and copy for the others worksheet. Questions: 1 - How can I make this dynamic as I would like to choose hom many months I would like to show in each chart? 2 - How I keep the reference for the data source in each worksheet? I tried to use the functions offset, 3d range and others functions but I could�t make them work. Can somebo...

Automatically numbering lines and columns in a chart using Excel
I have a question.......I know it can be done, but I was wanting to know if say, you have a grid chart made. How do you go about automatically numbering the lines and columns? ...