charts blanking

I use a spreadsheet file (excell 2002 sp2) in which I have
about 30 charts displaying data taken from the same sheet
different tab.

This has worked fine for several years but all of a
sudden, today all of the charts are blanked out i.e. A
gray scale appears in place of the chart.  When you place
the cursor here and click the chart shows up - but only
until you move the cursor and then it blanks again.

  I have several other spreadsheet files built the same
way but all appear to be working OK, so I don't think it
is Excel itself but must be some file setting or
corruption.

Any idea what causes this and how to remedy?

Thanks
0
mdaviese (1)

Mike -

Some gremlin changed your settings.

Pick the Options command on the Tools menu, and select the View tab.
For Objects, change Show Placeholders to Show All.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Mike wrote:
> I use a spreadsheet file (excell 2002 sp2) in which I have
> about 30 charts displaying data taken from the same sheet
> different tab.
>
> This has worked fine for several years but all of a
> sudden, today all of the charts are blanked out i.e. A
> gray scale appears in place of the chart.  When you place
> the cursor here and click the chart shows up - but only
> until you move the cursor and then it blanks again.
>
>   I have several other spreadsheet files built the same
> way but all appear to be working OK, so I don't think it
> is Excel itself but must be some file setting or
> corruption.
>
> Any idea what causes this and how to remedy?
>
> Thanks

0
jonpeltier (303)

Is it possible to resize chart itself (not chart area)
Hi I have several charts on one sheet and a couple have resized automatically after I had to make a change to the legend. I can't figure out how to re-size the chart itself as every time I click on it a section is selected e.g. axis, series, etc. Can anyone help please? EXCEL 2007 Take the following actions:- 1. Click in the Chart. Chart Tools (highlighted in green) should appear in the right hand side of the Title Bar. 2. Select Chart Tools / Layout tab. 3. Current Selection group / click the drop down arrow and select Chart Area. 4. Now go to one o...

Three line charts on same chart
can I break the y axis to plot three series with total different value on the same line chart and showing their clear paths. Chris, These sites might help: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html http://andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm These examples deal with columns but you can easily apply the same concepts to line charts. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Chris" wrote: > can I break the y axis to plot three series with total different value on the > same line chart and showing their clear paths. Chris - Here's anoth...

Pie Chart: want separate chart for each "RN"
Hi All. I have a report, which contains numerous amounts of data, so there are several subreport in the main report. Each subreport is broken out by "RN". The subreports contain rows of data, counts & percentages. Everything works fine, EXCEPT, the Pie Chart subreport. It is pulling in ALL "RN" #'s, making a very ugly pie chart. So, I want to run the data once for a "TEAM" of "RN's" but have the report separate out as many different reports as there are "RN's". Which it does this for ALL OTHER pieces of data, excep...

Chart Formatting Change
Why does chart formatting (font color, size) in 2007 change when the file is re-opened? (It looked correct when I saved and closed the file.) The changes are relatively random, sometimes occurring on only some of the graphs but sometimes on all of the graphs, and will happen when I open the file this morning but not when I open the file later in the afternoon. I have this same problem and came looking for an answer. Since I haven't found one, I'm going to use a marco that changes it back to my colors upon opening the excel file. If anyone out there has an easier way. I'd l...

Gantt chart in Excel
I have been given an assignment on Gantt charts for my unversity course. I know there are many programs that are made for using Gantt charts, but I have to use Excel. The snag is that the chart has to live, ie when my lecturer changes text values, the whole chart changes accordingly. This removes the obvious solution of just shading the required cells. I've tried several ways, but none of them have worked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me at justinwalls@hotmail.com Many thanks! Justin ...

Linking chart parameters to cells
Is anyone aware of a way of linking chart parameters normally set in the various dialog boxes, to a value in a cell. For example, suppose I'd like the value (Y) axis minimum and maximum value to change based on the value of a certain formula, can I somehow link those values to a cell in the spreadsheet. If not, it'd be cool if I could. Maybe the next version of Excel? >-----Original Message----- >Is anyone aware of a way of linking chart parameters >normally set in the various dialog boxes, to a value in a >cell. For example, suppose I'd like the value (Y)...

Broken Y Axis in Line Chart
Is it possible to create the broken Y-Axis on a Line Chart? A logarithmic axis is not appropriate form my data and I do not want to create a secondary axis (confusing for the reader). I have looked at the methods described by Jon Peltier, Andy Pope, and Tushar Mehta and (if I understand them correctly) they work for column charts and scatter plots respectively. I understand these techniques but my data is categorical (months on X-axis) and numerical on the Y-axis. A column chart is an option but does not convey the temporal trends ant I wish to illustrate. Any and all advice ap...

Scaling XY charts with suppressed starting value
The autoscaling feature of the Excel graphing function seems to have (limited) mind of its own. I'm trying to graph Y-values in the -1.5 t 1.5 range and X-values from 190 to 410 with the minimum from 190 to 29 and the max value from 290 to 410. The autoscaling of Y works fine, but the X-axis always start at 0 while the high value properly sets the maximum. Of course, I could fi the minimum at 190, but that is not what I had in mind. Does anyone know how to overcome this limitation without using a macro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Per - You need to make an XY Sca...

How to stop Pie Chart from using N/A# for values
Hello, I have 2 columns: Column 1 is customer name. Column 2 is sales for the period. If a customer had no sales for the period the sales column will either be N/A# or zero. When I plot in a pie chart, I only want to show customers who had sales for that period. Is there a way to only plot those customers with sales without having to change the range and sort every period? Customer Sales Cust1 $100 Cust2 0 Cust3 $50 Cust4 N/A The pie chart data labels show the customer regardless of sales and if I blank out the customer, the value data label s...

vba create multiple series xl3dline chart
I have a problem trying to programatically create a 3dLine chart, wher it gives me a '1004' error when trying to set any properties o SeriesCollection(2). I can reproduce the error in its simplest form (ignoring my code :-) b using the macro recorder to record creating the chart, as I get th error when I play back the recorded macro. It seems to be a proble manipulating the second (or more) series of this type of chart. If set the charttype to xlLineStacked for example, it works fine. I have attached a crude example in chartdemo.xls, which contains sub's, one that works with a...

Importing customer class blanks out tax schedule
Hi - I used Integration Manager to update (only) the customer class. This caused those particular customer's to have their tax schedule ID blanked out. I set all fields other than the customer class to "Use Default". I was expecting no change to fields other than the customer class. Is this wrong? Ginny IM simulates a person keying in data. When you key data into the Customer Class field, by default, it copies data from the class into other fields (like tax schedule). You may have also changed some of the account numbers associated with the customer. -- Richard L...

Blank reply in emails but can view them in "auto preview"
When recieving a reply to some emails, I see nothing but the original email text without the reply text. The only way that I can see the reply text is if I set Outlook to use "auto preview", but there's nothing there if the message is opened. We are using Outlook 2000 sp3 internet mail (POP3) through a Verizon DSL connection (SMC Barricade router). It also seems to only happen when correxponding to people that are using Exchange Server. I've seen a few posts regarding this issue but I have not seen any resolution. I think it may also have to do with messages th...

Revenue charting
I am trying to chart revenue trends over a monthly period. However, want the series line in the chart to stop at the last day revenue i shown: I want it to disappear from the chart entirely (not drop t zero). I am running into a problem with the following data: MON 2-Feb-04 ='Monthly Detail Summary'!C12 TUE 3-Feb-04 =IF(ISERROR('Monthly Detai Summary'!D12+B8),#N/A,IF('Monthly Detai Summary'!D12+B8=B8,#N/A,'Monthly Detail Summary'!D12+B8)) WED 4-Feb-04 =IF(ISERROR('Monthly Detai Summary'!E12+C8),#N/A,IF('Mo...

Time chart
I need a time chart as in example A1= Henry B1=15 C1=21 A2= Sally B2=12 C2-=18 A3= George B3=11 C3=16 A4= Alex B4=10 C4=14 Henry ------------------------ Sally ----------------------- George -------------------- Alex ----------------- 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 You could simulate the chart with an XY Scatter chart of the data 15 4 21 4 12 3 18 3 11 2 16 2 10 1 14 1 Format the y-axes to show no labe...

How to Add Columns to "Blank" MS Project?
Is there a way to add columns to "Blank" project that comes up when I click on File/New? I want to always have Text1, Text2, etc with the names Renamed on every Project file I open. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CAC558.64747C70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi TKGerdie, Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-) The best way is to set up a project as you want it and then save it as a = template. Please see FAQ Item: 8. New Project Template. ...

chart with dates on the x-axe
how can you change the x-axe into a text x-as when the data are dates ? on specific dates a want to show a specific value. When I want to create e.g. a line-type chart, the values are ok, but the x-axe with the dates becomes a time-ax in stead of showing the real dates from the data. Is there a way to change the dates into text, without making it explicit text (with a ') because I want to use them also for calculating things. ??? -- chriske ------------------------------------------------------------------------ chriske's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...

How do I make a vertical floating bar chart?
I want to make a floating bar chart in Excel, but I want the bars to be orientated vertically rather than the horizontal default. In other words, I want the range of the floating bars to be displayed on the y-axis rather than the x-axis. Can anyone help me? Shane Stamschror Hi, You need to use a stacked column chart with 2 series. The first series provides the 'float'. Format this series to have no fill or border. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "danke_shane" <danke_shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

adding numbers in an excell chart automatically
How to create an ongoing addition of numbers in an excell chart. Or sum of Numbers I should Say. I need the info for work. I think there is an easier way than how I am doing it. Worksheets are the things to use for adding numbers. That's not what a chart is designed to do. -- David Biddulph "sanicay" <sanicay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E94E1035-DC2C-4698-AC32-3439BDB2BDA6@microsoft.com... > How to create an ongoing addition of numbers in an excell chart. Or sum of > Numbers I should Say. I need the info for work. I think there is an >...

Auto filter on blank lines
When I auto filter there is normally blank lines at the bottom but now when it's filtered it's greyed out and I can't add any new lines. ...

lost data source to Word 2007 chart
I created a chart in Word 2007, which when opening and double clicking on the chart automatically opened an excel spreadsheet where the data is input. For some reason, the excel data source no longers opens. The Data section under Chart Tool: Layout; is now grayed out and cannot be selected. How do I locate the Excel Data Source? ...

charting pivot table results by month
I am trying to create a chart that shows monthly totals from pivot table results. Each record has a date in the first field in the format, 01/01/2004. I have been using the Month function on the date field to change it to a number corresponding to the month before creating the pivot chart. This gives me the monthly totals that I need but I think there must be an easier way. Any suggestions? Thanks. Ken Ken - If you use a custom number format of m or mm, your date will appear as just the month's number, 2 or 02 for February. mmm would give you Feb, and mmmm February. This wouldn'...

Chart Wizard won't work
I have classwork to perfoerm on EXCEL, but I am unable to use the Chart Wizard because it is grayed out, and unavailable. I have made certain that I have selected ranges with data in them, so what do I do next??? Perhaps it's not installed? Some versions of MS Office do not install the wizards when the default install method is used. Use Custom install, and choose "Run all from my computer". ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "peg2unic" <peg2unic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:255A90EF-B896-48EF-86DC-5988EEC707C1@microsoft.com....

Moving Data Points on Scatter Chart in 2007
I have used Excel to construct various ship curves in all versions until 2007. I would create a table of offsets (x,y points) and build a simple integration scheme around the table. I would then graph the offsets. I could go into the graph, grab a particular data point and move it either horizontally or vertically. This would update the table and update the integration. I would have the area (or volume) display on the graph. So I could fair a smooth curve by adjusting offsets (with the smooth lines turned on) until I got the area and centroid I needed. Until Excel 2007! I cannot...

auto position of data labels in a line chart
Hi All Does anybody know of a way of automatically having data labels either positioned above or below depending on another cell value? Basically when I update data behind a series of charts, sometimes (depending on the values) its best to have the value labels above and sometimes below. I want the chart to know which is best automatically without me clicking on each series of data labels and manually changing them. I was thinking I could link this condition to a cell (in which I would have a formula telling it what to do). I think the only way that this could be done would be withi...

How to recreate blank mailbox stores?
We've got ourselves into a mess, our server has crashed and whilst it has restarted the mailbox stores have refused to mount. We've tried the obvious things and regrettably concluded that we would need to go back to back up. Unfortunately our backup hasn't been working properly for a couple of weeks now and our local support guy is on holiday We don't store much e-mail on the server anyway. Time is of the essence and our guys need to be able to receive e-mails before the day is out. I've decided that I am prepared to sacrifice the existing data if necessary. Would it ...