Charting with irregularly spaced x-axis

Hi

Trying to make a chart where the x axis is number-of-days
from a start-date, and y axis is a value measured on the
particular date.

For example, the columns may be:

Date		Days from Start		Measurement
02/12/09	1			120
06/12/09	5			134
09/12/09	8			118
18/12/09	17			109

etc.

I want a line chart showing the measurement vs days
which I can do - BUT...

I would like the x axis (days from start) to be
spaced according to the number of days, which as
you can see from the above are not evenly spaced.
In other words, if there have been several days
between measurements, I want a longer gap on the
x axis than if there have been two measurements
taken on consecutive days: I will try to draw it:

 |      .
 |
 | .
 |          .
 |
 |                    .

 +______________________________________________
  0    0   0          1       (Days since start)
  1    5   8          7

Where "." are the measurements taken on a particular day.

I can't find a way to "spread" the x axis according
to the days-since-start column. The spread of the x
axis seems to be constant and doesn't give a true
picture if measurements are not taken on a regular
basis.

Can anyone suggest a way to achieve this?

Also I would like to be able to add new rows and for
them to get automatically added to the chart. Is that
possible?

I have Excel 2003

Thanks in advance
0
privatw (1)

Hi,

create the chart with the XY Scatter chart type, then the X axis will
be scaled with the gaps according to the values.

With your data sample Column A = Date, column B = Days from start,
column C = measurement, set up the XY data series with

Series X values =Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5
Series Y values =Sheet1!$C$2:$C$5

hth

teylyn

--
teylyn

Teylyn  --  'teylyn.posterous.com' (http://teylyn.posterous.com)
teylyn's Profile: 983
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=164473

teylyn

Exchange Server takes more and more HDD space
Hi! I am running Exchange Server 2k on Windows 2k. It's been running fine for more than 2 years. This week, I had an error message ("out of memory...") when I send an email from Outlook Express. I checked the server and realized that the server has only 1.5MB free space on the hard drive. I deleted unnecessary files and made 80MB space. The next day, it was 1.5MB free space again. I checked the size of Exchange folder in Program Files. It counted very slowly and increased little by little. I guess there are very many small files in the folder. Especially the mailroot folder is ...

To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages.
This is driving me crazy. How can I get rid of this message? I have never used Outlook Express. "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take up to a few minutes." "Rufus Chaney" <RufusChaney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47B333C7-3076-4788-A23F-652B389F9A3B@microsoft.com... > This is driving me crazy. How can I get rid of this message? I have > never > used Outlook Express. > > "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may > take > up to a f...

x-y Line Graph question
I have a line graph. X is dates and Y is numeric data. I am plotting 12/1/2005 through 1/30/2006. The problems is my series does not start at the "left most" point of 12/1/2005, it is shifted slightly. And the line does not end at the "right most" point of 1/30/2006. Any ideas will be appreciated. thanks! XL has two distinct chart types even though they look similar, the XY Scatter chart and the Line chart. There is no XY Line graph. I believe you have a Line graph. Double-click the x-axis and from the Scale tab uncheck the 'Value (Y) axis crosses betwe...

Need large gap in chart
I am making a line graph with 2 sets of numbers that are very far apart - one set of numbers is around 7000 to 8000, and the other set is closer to 80,000. Of course, I get one line at the top of the chart that is pretty easy to read, but the line on the bottom that represents the smaller numbers is just TINY and looks pretty much straight. My question is this: is there a way to put a "break" into the graph between the smaller numbered data and the larger ones so they are all easier to read? Like a jagged line showing where the jump occurs or something? Hi, Jon has an exampl...

Excel 2007
When you set reverse categories for the horizontal axis, I noticed that the legend (which I normally placed at the bottom of the chart), did not correspondingly reverse. Is this WAD (working as designed) ? If not, how can i overcome this as the reader would have to mentally "remap" the legend to the bar chart. Thanks very much. Hi, Reversing the Axis categories will not effect the legend order. To do that you need to change the Series Order. In 2007 this is none via the Select Data Source dialog. Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data. Use the Up/Down arrows in the...

X-axis labels in Excel!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Why isn't there an option any longer to change the x-axis labels from default numbers to source data from the spreadsheet? This is ABSURD! Who on earth doesn't label their x-axis??? Leave it to Microsoft to leave out something so basic and essential. At least everything looks pretty. In article <ee989b5.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, eabboud@officeformac.com wrote: > Why isn't there an option any longer to change the x-axis labels from default > numbers to source data from the spreadsheet? > > This is ABSU...

Reinstalling Office X After a HD Failure
My HD had a catastrophic failure and I had to replace it. Now I am = trying to=20 reinstall Office X from the most recent upgrade disk (I've purchased = every=20 upgrade for as long as I have been using Office) and the software is = looking=20 for the older version for upgrade verification. =20 I've systematically "browsed" to the CDs from every earlier verion I = have, but=20 the verification is not accepted. Suggestions? Rodney Dixon <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My HD had a catastrophic failure and I had to replace it. Now I am trying to > ...

Display order of Bar Chart
How do I get a bar chart to display my data in the order I created it rather then in a sort ascending or descending order. I created my vertical axis categories in the exact order I want the bar chart to display the data however, when the chart is created is rearranged into ascending order of the data not in the order of the categories as I developed it. That is not how Excel behaves; when the data is in rows, the first category of the first row is at the bottom of the bar chart and so on, regardless of the y-values best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.s...

Chart
Hello, I created a line column chart on 2 axis. I have four data sets. The first 3 should go on the primary Y axis as columns and the 4th should go on the secondary Y axis as a line. However, Excel wants to automatically put both the 3rd and 4th data sets on the secondary axis as lines. I cannot find any command to change the 3rd data set to go onto the primary axis as a column. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! -Patty On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, Patty = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I created a line column chart on 2 ...

Gantt Chart Missing One Task Line When Printed
Hello! I am completely stumped here with Project 2007. When printing the gantt chart line 30 of my plan is blank. The line number is there, but the task info and bar is blank. It shows up in print preview. All other lines show up fine and the rest of the project prints fine as per my print settings - just missing one line! Printer drivers are updated, software has current update - anyone ever heard of this? I really appreciate your help! Hi Jean, Do you see a different answer if you turn off 3D bars? Tools > Options, View tab. There were some early problems with 3D ...

Charts and "global" changes
Hello all, I'm actually working in Microsoft Access97, which uses MSGraph 2000 for charting, so I thought this was really a "charting" question... not an Access question. I have an XY scatter chart (using just points... no X or Y error bars or lines) all laid out just fine, but I have a couple of questions that would make my work a lot easier. When the data first displayed on the chart, every data point had a different "style"... circles, triangles, x's, etc... I had to go into every one individually and change them to a black dot at size 3. Isn...

Pie chart
Is there an pie chart type where you can explode just one of the sets of data on the chart? I have access to both Excel/Powerpoint 97 and 2003, but there doesn't appear to be any differences in what's available for pie charts. Is there an add-in or something for variations on these pie or other charts. Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions. Diana Create a regular pie chart in Excel Click on the pie to select it (each slice will have a black handle on its outer edge) Click on the slice that you want to explode (only that slice will now have handles) Drag out the select...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

how excel calculates the major units on an axis when MajorUnitIsAuto property set to true #2
I need to know, how excel calculates the major units on an axis when MajorUnitIsAuto property set to true. We are porting an existing excel chart application to .net with help of a third party tool for charting. If MajorUnitIsAuto property set to true, excel automatically calculates the major unit.Need to know what algorithm excel uses to calculate the Major Units. Thanks in advance, Mathew Microsoft has posted an article which tells how the minimum and maximum scale values are determined, in terms of this mysterious major unit, but I have seen nothing about how this major unit is calcula...

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...

sizing a chart
Two Questions: (1) I have two charts that are exactly the same just showing different data. Is there an easy way to make these charts the exact same size? (2) How can I get them to line up with border lines I have on my worksheet so that they look right on the printout? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have. Hold the Alt key while moving and resizing the charts, and they will stick to the cell boundaries. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Jordan" <Jordan@discussions.microsof...

Adjusting column widths to fit text plus extra space
I can get Excel to adjust one or more columns to fit the data by selecting the columns and double-clicking on one of the column header borders. The result is the smallest possible width for the existing data. This is a little too tight for optimum viewing. Is there a way to tell excel to choose a width that is slightly wider? In Word, there is a *Cell Margin* setting for tables. Is there anything similar in Excel? Column Auto-width has no cell margins parameters that can be set. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 06:50:36 -0700, Jennifer Murphy <JenMurphy@geospace.org>...

How do I create a 4-d chart?
I am trying to create a chart with 4 dimensions. In effect, I need a 3-D column chart where the vertical bars are "stacked" colmns. How can I do this? Evanr Have you heard about Tufte's "small multiples" or Cleveland's "trellis" displays? These approaches create a series of small plots instead of trying to put everything into a single overly complex chart. I would stay away form 3D charts in Excel. Trellis is a trademarked by Insightful software. I use the term "panel charts" to reflect trellis and small multiple charts in Excel. I have...

Shading a portion of the space between two lines
I need to graph a two lines that intersect. Each line has 13 points and they intersect at point 6. I only want to shade the area between the lines from points 8-13 (This is where the points between the two groups differ significantly). My points for line 1 are: 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 and the points for line 2 are 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 16, 20, 25, 36, 49, 56. Does anyone have any advice on how to shade just the area between the lines from points 8-13? Adjust the data in the following example so the duplicate values in column D occur not at the first and last points but at ...

This one is tricky....Macro to save file as cell value x in direct
Hi Two cells A1 & B2 I am trying to create a Macro to attach to a button to Save an .xls as "A1".xls in directory R:/SALES/Team 318/"B2" instead of typing it in all of the time.... Any helpers? Past attempts at this have failed.....the winner will get a big MVP vote! Absolute respect Andy Try something like: Sub Test() Dim mypath As String Dim sfile As Range, sdir As Range mypath = "R:\SALES\Team 318\" Set sfile = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1") Set sdir = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B2") ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filen...

Equation in a chart
Dear all There is any possibility to add in the area of a chart a box or a text box or another way and to make it with a simple = to bring me a value of a cell? either a number or a percentage? I currently using Excel XP edition Thanks in advance Manos Hi try the following: - insert this textbox - select the textbox and hit F (to get into the formula bar) - now enter your formula. e.g. ='sheet1'!A1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Manos wrote: > Dear all > > There is any possibility to add in the area of a chart a > box or a text box or another way and...

Drop down list for graphs/charts
My boss wants a drop down box in Excel that will give us about ten different graphs. I did all ten of these graphs individually on separate tabs but my boss wants one tab with a drop down box that when we choose one of the groups, it will give us that graph. Can this be done? Based on the drop-down, in a separate range select the data which you want to plot. And plot this in one graph only. For e.g. you have data A1:A10 for the first graph, B1:B10 for the second. Lets say in M1:M10 use a formula which will get the data from A1:A10 or B1:B10 based on the drop-down selection. Plot M1:M10 o...

On the Y axis how do I make 0-100 big and then 100-500 small?
I have small numbers and then big numbers on the same chart. To better represent all of the numbers I want 0-100 on the Y axis to be spread out, showing a small intervals from each number, then from 100-500 I want the Y axis to shrink and show large intervals between numbers You can make a custom axis using a dummy XY series, then selectively rescale your data to fit. Here are some examples of custom axis scales: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartIndex.html#AxisScales - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http:/...

Missing menu bar when chart is selected
I have a spreadsheet that I have been using for a couple of years but now when I select a chart I lose my menu bar (file, edit, view etc). Also, I am no longer able to right mouse click. If I select elsewhere on the sheet my menu and mouse operations returns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried resetting my worksheet menu bar by selecting tools/customise toolbars but this doesn't help. When you activate a chart the Worksheet Menu Bar (WMB) normally disappears and the Chart Menu Bar (CMB) takes its place. The CMB looks exactly the same except that it has a Chart menu...

can't center a category label on a line chart
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000603030901060204040401 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Yesterday I got some good help with figuring out the differences between the line chart and xy chart. I've had to go with the line chart. I've pretty much got it the way I want it. I've posted my data below. The < means prior to 2007. In Excel 2003 I could easily center the Year between the Major vertical gridlines (every forth one, since this is quarterly data). But with my pres...