Charting Text #2

Below sample data I am trying to chart but I'm not sure if Excel can do this.
 It is basically a record of animals (tags) and where they have been spotted.

I am trying to create a chart (maybe a scatter) with Location and Month on
the X & Y axis and the tag data to appear to show a sighting.  I have created
a work around using a pivot table but the person looking at this chart is not
an Excel user and I want to keep it simple.

Any suggestions?

Location	Month	Tag
NW	Jan	J33
NW	June	J34
SW	May	J33
SW	June	J35
E	Oct	J36
E	Nov	J35
W	May	J33
W	Apr	J34

0
MFC (35)

Hi,

Insert new blank columns B and D. In B2, enter the following formula and
copy down. This will give each location a unique number.

=IF( COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2)=1,MAX(B$1:B1)+1,VLOOKUP(A2,A$2:B2,2,FALSE))

In D2, enter the folloing and copy down. This will give each month a number.

=MONTH(1&C2)

Plot an x-y chart of columns B and D.
Hide both sets of axis labels.
Create two new dummy series as below, and plot the numbers as two new x-y
series on the chart.

NW	1	0
SW	2	0
E	3	0
W	4	0

Jan	0	1
Feb	0	2
Mar	0	3
Apr	0	4
May	0	5
Jun	0	6
Jul	0	7
Aug	0	8
Sep	0	9
Oct	0	10
Nov	0	11
Dec	0	12

This will give you points along both axes. You can then use something like
Rob Boveys Chart Labeller add-in to label all three sets of points with data
labels, your tags, the locations and the month name.

No doubt Jon or Andy will come up with a much simpler methodb but I can
email you the file if you like.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10297321.aspx
0
djc (61)
12/4/2008 9:27:52 AM
Thank you Dave,

I will try your solution.  I would be grateful if you could email the file
to me.  What is the best way to give you my address ?

"Dave Curtis" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Insert new blank columns B and D. In B2, enter the following formula and
> copy down. This will give each location a unique number.
>
> =IF( COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2)=1,MAX(B$1:B1)+1,VLOOKUP(A2,A$2:B2,2,FALSE))
>
> In D2, enter the folloing and copy down. This will give each month a number.
>

> =MONTH(1&C2)
>
> Plot an x-y chart of columns B and D.
> Hide both sets of axis labels.
> Create two new dummy series as below, and plot the numbers as two new x-y
> series on the chart.
>
> NW	1	0
> SW	2	0
> E	3	0
> W	4	0
>
> Jan	0	1
> Feb	0	2
> Mar	0	3
> Apr	0	4
> May	0	5
> Jun	0	6
> Jul	0	7
> Aug	0	8
> Sep	0	9
> Oct	0	10
> Nov	0	11
> Dec	0	12
>
> This will give you points along both axes. You can then use something like
> Rob Boveys Chart Labeller add-in to label all three sets of points with data
> labels, your tags, the locations and the month name.
>
> No doubt Jon or Andy will come up with a much simpler methodb but I can
> email you the file if you like.
>
> Dave
>
> url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10297321.aspx

0
MFC (35)
12/28/2008 12:11:00 AM
Hi,

Please keep your threads together, starting a new thread for every response
makes it very difficult for us to follow.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"MFC" <MFC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you Dave,
>
> I will try your solution.  I would be grateful if you could email the file
> to me.  What is the best way to give you my address ?
>
> "Dave Curtis" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Insert new blank columns B and D. In B2, enter the following formula and
>> copy down. This will give each location a unique number.
>>
>> =IF( COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2)=1,MAX(B$1:B1)+1,VLOOKUP(A2,A$2:B2,2,FALSE))
>>
>> In D2, enter the folloing and copy down. This will give each month a
>> number.
>>

>> =MONTH(1&C2)
>>
>> Plot an x-y chart of columns B and D.
>> Hide both sets of axis labels.
>> Create two new dummy series as below, and plot the numbers as two new x-y
>> series on the chart.
>>
>> NW 1 0
>> SW 2 0
>> E 3 0
>> W 4 0
>>
>> Jan 0 1
>> Feb 0 2
>> Mar 0 3
>> Apr 0 4
>> May 0 5
>> Jun 0 6
>> Jul 0 7
>> Aug 0 8
>> Sep 0 9
>> Oct 0 10
>> Nov 0 11
>> Dec 0 12
>>
>> This will give you points along both axes. You can then use something
>> like
>> Rob Boveys Chart Labeller add-in to label all three sets of points with
>> data
>> labels, your tags, the locations and the month name.
>>
>> No doubt Jon or Andy will come up with a much simpler methodb but I can
>> email you the file if you like.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10297321.aspx

How to select series in chart?

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

chart MAcro to change on activecell

printing 2 charts on single page

transparent areas in charts?

Multiple stacked bar charts

Offline folder problems #2

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

Chart Legend Color Index Assignment
Looking for VBA code to run on Workbook_Open to ensure a Legend having up to 10 different variables does NOT "automatically" assign to same color to 2 different variables. TIA - Bob Check out the color palette (Tools menu > Options > Color tab). The chart uses the bottom two rows of colors for its data, then when it runs out it cycles through the rest of the palette. If the palette has been customized by someone unfamiliar with this behavior, you may get duplication of colors. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTe...

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

VCard issue #2

parameter for text