charting locations over time instead of numbers

I am new to charts in Excel.  But nothing I have found leads me to believe
the following is possible for Excel, hence the question.

My three variables are: location, date, and mission number (two letters
followed by a four digit number in a single cell).  All three variables are
related in my worksheet by row, with column headers across the top of the
worksheet.

For my chart, I want to have the various locations displayed vertically on
the side of the chart on the y axis, with the associated date displayed
horizontally across the x axis of the chart.  I'd like to have the mission
number displayed on the chart at the intersection of the correct
location/date position (could be a label on the data point or similar).  In
the perfect chart option, when a mission occurred at the same location as a
previous mission, I'd like in on the same vertical position on the chart and
simply moved horizontally based on the date.

Anyone have an idea?  Thanks in advance
0
Bullseye (6)

Bullseye:

It sounds like you want to make a dot plot. you want location on Y axis,
date on X axis and you want to label point with mission number.

A dot plot is an XY chart with a custom Y axis that displays text rather
than numbers.

Here's a link to a how-to example on my website.
http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_dot_plots.htm

I also have a discussion on custom axes which will show you details of how
to make a custom axis. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_custom_axis.htm

Kelly

http://processtrends.com

"Bullseye" <Bullseye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to charts in Excel.  But nothing I have found leads me to believe
> the following is possible for Excel, hence the question.
>
> My three variables are: location, date, and mission number (two letters
> followed by a four digit number in a single cell).  All three variables
> are
> related in my worksheet by row, with column headers across the top of the
> worksheet.
>
> For my chart, I want to have the various locations displayed vertically on
> the side of the chart on the y axis, with the associated date displayed
> horizontally across the x axis of the chart.  I'd like to have the mission
> number displayed on the chart at the intersection of the correct
> location/date position (could be a label on the data point or similar).
> In
> the perfect chart option, when a mission occurred at the same location as
> previous mission, I'd like in on the same vertical position on the chart
> and
> simply moved horizontally based on the date.
>
> Anyone have an idea?  Thanks in advance

0
dkod (205)
2/15/2007 3:37:26 PM
Kelly,

This is a great option...just one problem.  I have gone everything thing you
show in your examples...but for some reason I run into a problem in step 4.
When I paste special, I get the vertical pight purple squares on the y-axis,
but it also moves all my data points into a vertical column as well instead
of leaving them where they were.  I must be doing something wrong but I have
tried variations and they all give the same result.  Any thoughts?  Thanks
again for pointing my in this direction.  At least I can now successfully
plot two of my three variables :-)

Bullseye

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

> Bullseye:
>
> It sounds like you want to make a dot plot. you want location on Y axis,
> date on X axis and you want to label point with mission number.
>
> A dot plot is an XY chart with a custom Y axis that displays text rather
> than numbers.
>
> Here's a link to a how-to example on my website.
> http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_dot_plots.htm
>
> I also have a discussion on custom axes which will show you details of how
> to make a custom axis. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_custom_axis.htm
>
> Kelly
>
> http://processtrends.com
>

> "Bullseye" <Bullseye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am new to charts in Excel.  But nothing I have found leads me to believe
> > the following is possible for Excel, hence the question.
> >
> > My three variables are: location, date, and mission number (two letters
> > followed by a four digit number in a single cell).  All three variables
> > are
> > related in my worksheet by row, with column headers across the top of the
> > worksheet.
> >
> > For my chart, I want to have the various locations displayed vertically on
> > the side of the chart on the y axis, with the associated date displayed
> > horizontally across the x axis of the chart.  I'd like to have the mission
> > number displayed on the chart at the intersection of the correct
> > location/date position (could be a label on the data point or similar).
> > In
> > the perfect chart option, when a mission occurred at the same location as
> > previous mission, I'd like in on the same vertical position on the chart
> > and
> > simply moved horizontally based on the date.
> >
> > Anyone have an idea?  Thanks in advance

0
Bullseye (6)
2/17/2007 10:59:05 AM
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Bullseye <Bullseye@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>This is a great option...just one problem.  I have gone everything thing you
>show in your examples...but for some reason I run into a problem in step 4.
>When I paste special, I get the vertical pight purple squares on the y-axis,
>but it also moves all my data points into a vertical column as well instead
>of leaving them where they were.

It sounds as if you've got the "Replace existing categories" box
checked. Uncheck it to avoid the range of zeroes being used for every
series x-values.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

On the Paste Special window Options:

1. Upper left:  Check Add cells as: Select new series
2. Lower left:  Check Categories (X values in First Column)
3. Replace Existing Categories: Uncheck Replace Existing Categories

....Kelly

"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> Bullseye <Bullseye@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>>This is a great option...just one problem.  I have gone everything thing
>>you
>>show in your examples...but for some reason I run into a problem in step
>>4.
>>When I paste special, I get the vertical pight purple squares on the
>>y-axis,
>>but it also moves all my data points into a vertical column as well
>>instead
>>of leaving them where they were.
>
> It sounds as if you've got the "Replace existing categories" box checked.
> Uncheck it to avoid the range of zeroes being used for every series
> x-values.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
dkod (205)
2/17/2007 1:30:22 PM
I tried that a few times, no help.  I think I may be failing in a more basic
way.  According to what I see in your picture in the tutorial, it appears
that the source for the paste special (ie the selection I have copied at the
time) are the column of zero's and the column of number series zero through
whatever the number of rows I have...is this correct?  Is there something
else I am missing?  It seems so simple, yet everthing I do, it moves all my
data plots into a vertical column.  thoughts?  Thanks again for your time &
expertise!

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

> Bullseye:
>
> On the Paste Special window Options:
>
> 1. Upper left:  Check Add cells as: Select new series
> 2. Lower left:  Check Categories (X values in First Column)
> 3. Replace Existing Categories: Uncheck Replace Existing Categories
>
> ....Kelly
>

> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> > Bullseye <Bullseye@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >>This is a great option...just one problem.  I have gone everything thing
> >>you
> >>show in your examples...but for some reason I run into a problem in step
> >>4.
> >>When I paste special, I get the vertical pight purple squares on the
> >>y-axis,
> >>but it also moves all my data points into a vertical column as well
> >>instead
> >>of leaving them where they were.
> >
> > It sounds as if you've got the "Replace existing categories" box checked.
> > Uncheck it to avoid the range of zeroes being used for every series
> > x-values.
> >
> > --
> > Del Cotter
> > NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> > del@branta.demon.co.uk,
> >    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
Bullseye (6)
2/17/2007 2:10:00 PM
Bullseye:

Send me your file and I'll take a look.

Here's my anti-spam e-mail - edit and send the file.

koday*at*processtrends*dot*com

>I tried that a few times, no help.  I think I may be failing in a more
>basic
> way.  According to what I see in your picture in the tutorial, it appears
> that the source for the paste special (ie the selection I have copied at
> the
> time) are the column of zero's and the column of number series zero
> through
> whatever the number of rows I have...is this correct?  Is there something
> else I am missing?  It seems so simple, yet everthing I do, it moves all
> my
> data plots into a vertical column.  thoughts?  Thanks again for your time
> &
> expertise!
>
> "Kelly O'Day" wrote:
>
>> Bullseye:
>>
>> On the Paste Special window Options:
>>
>> 1. Upper left:  Check Add cells as: Select new series
>> 2. Lower left:  Check Categories (X values in First Column)
>> 3. Replace Existing Categories: Uncheck Replace Existing Categories
>>
>> ....Kelly
>>

>> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >
>> > It sounds as if you've got the "Replace existing categories" box
>> > checked.
>> > Uncheck it to avoid the range of zeroes being used for every series
>> > x-values.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Del Cotter
>> > NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
>> > del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>> >    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3
>> > instead.

0
dkod (205)
2/17/2007 3:52:27 PM
I show how to make this kind of chart on my web site. Perhaps a different
set of words might help you get it:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Bullseye" <Bullseye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried that a few times, no help.  I think I may be failing in a more
>basic
> way.  According to what I see in your picture in the tutorial, it appears
> that the source for the paste special (ie the selection I have copied at
> the
> time) are the column of zero's and the column of number series zero
> through
> whatever the number of rows I have...is this correct?  Is there something
> else I am missing?  It seems so simple, yet everthing I do, it moves all
> my
> data plots into a vertical column.  thoughts?  Thanks again for your time
> &
> expertise!
>
> "Kelly O'Day" wrote:
>
>> Bullseye:
>>
>> On the Paste Special window Options:
>>
>> 1. Upper left:  Check Add cells as: Select new series
>> 2. Lower left:  Check Categories (X values in First Column)
>> 3. Replace Existing Categories: Uncheck Replace Existing Categories
>>
>> ....Kelly
>>

>> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >
>> > It sounds as if you've got the "Replace existing categories" box
>> > checked.
>> > Uncheck it to avoid the range of zeroes being used for every series
>> > x-values.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Del Cotter
>> > NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
>> > del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>> >    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3
>> > instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/17/2007 4:09:27 PM
Jon Peltier <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> said:
>I show how to make this kind of chart on my web site. Perhaps a different
>set of words might help you get it:
>
>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

But beware, that's not just a different set of words, but a slightly
different technique: Kelly's technique uses all XY series and a labelled
dummy series for the category Y-axis; Jon's technique uses a horizontal
bar chart series for the category Y-axis instead.

A third tutorial that I like (it's the one I learned dot plots on) is
Charley Kyd's at ExcelUser.com:

http://www.exceluser.com/dash/dotplot.htm

The technique here is similar to that in Jon's tutorial: horizontal bar
chart for the labels, XY series for the dots.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

- Jon
-------

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> Jon Peltier <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> said:
>>I show how to make this kind of chart on my web site. Perhaps a different
>>set of words might help you get it:
>>
>>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html
>
> But beware, that's not just a different set of words, but a slightly
> different technique: Kelly's technique uses all XY series and a labelled
> dummy series for the category Y-axis; Jon's technique uses a horizontal
> bar chart series for the category Y-axis instead.
>
> A third tutorial that I like (it's the one I learned dot plots on) is
> Charley Kyd's at ExcelUser.com:
>
> http://www.exceluser.com/dash/dotplot.htm
>
> The technique here is similar to that in Jon's tutorial: horizontal bar
> chart for the labels, XY series for the dots.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/19/2007 6:37:33 PM
Jon:

I find that XY chart  based dot plot gives me maximum flexibility,
particularly when I want to build a panel chart.

Here's an example of a two level Y axis label.

http://processtrends.com/images/chart_doc_auto_emiss_after.gif>link

...Kelly

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>I forgot that Kelly uses a different combination. The bar chart axis labels
>are sometimes more robust, particularly in that you often can get longer
>text before Excel forces a line break.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
>> Jon Peltier <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> said:
>>>I show how to make this kind of chart on my web site. Perhaps a different
>>>set of words might help you get it:
>>>
>>>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html
>>
>> But beware, that's not just a different set of words, but a slightly
>> different technique: Kelly's technique uses all XY series and a labelled
>> dummy series for the category Y-axis; Jon's technique uses a horizontal
>> bar chart series for the category Y-axis instead.
>>
>> A third tutorial that I like (it's the one I learned dot plots on) is
>> Charley Kyd's at ExcelUser.com:
>>
>> http://www.exceluser.com/dash/dotplot.htm
>>
>> The technique here is similar to that in Jon's tutorial: horizontal bar
>> chart for the labels, XY series for the dots.
>>
>> --
>> Del Cotter
>> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
>> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
dkod (205)
2/19/2007 10:15:50 PM
Link error - sorry.

"Kelly O'Day" <dkod@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Jon:
>
> I find that XY chart  based dot plot gives me maximum flexibility,
> particularly when I want to build a panel chart.
>
> Here's an example of a two level Y axis label.
>
> http://processtrends.com/images/chart_doc_auto_emiss_after.gif>link
>
> ..Kelly
>
> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>>I forgot that Kelly uses a different combination. The bar chart axis
>>labels are sometimes more robust, particularly in that you often can get
>>longer text before Excel forces a line break.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> But beware, that's not just a different set of words, but a slightly
>>> different technique: Kelly's technique uses all XY series and a labelled
>>> dummy series for the category Y-axis; Jon's technique uses a horizontal
>>> bar chart series for the category Y-axis instead.
>>>
>>> A third tutorial that I like (it's the one I learned dot plots on) is
>>> Charley Kyd's at ExcelUser.com:
>>>
>>> http://www.exceluser.com/dash/dotplot.htm
>>>
>>> The technique here is similar to that in Jon's tutorial: horizontal bar
>>> chart for the labels, XY series for the dots.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Del Cotter
>>> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
>>> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>>>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
dkod (205)
2/19/2007 10:29:36 PM
I guess I go in cycles. Sometimes I prefer one way, sometimes the other. If
it's a uniformly spaced set of labels, sometimes the bar chart seems like
less hassle than defining a bunch of data labels. If it requires a whole set
of customizations, like a panel chart, then the XY series is better because
the scale you define gets reused for different purposes (axis ticks,
gridlines, etc.). I chose a bar chart for the dot plot because it's uniform,
and if you need to extend the axes, you don't have to redefine a set of data
labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Kelly O'Day" <dkod@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Jon:
>
> I find that XY chart  based dot plot gives me maximum flexibility,
> particularly when I want to build a panel chart.
>
> Here's an example of a two level Y axis label.
>
> http://processtrends.com/images/chart_doc_auto_emiss_after.gif>link
>
> ..Kelly
>
> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>>I forgot that Kelly uses a different combination. The bar chart axis
>>labels are sometimes more robust, particularly in that you often can get
>>longer text before Excel forces a line break.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> But beware, that's not just a different set of words, but a slightly
>>> different technique: Kelly's technique uses all XY series and a labelled
>>> dummy series for the category Y-axis; Jon's technique uses a horizontal
>>> bar chart series for the category Y-axis instead.
>>>
>>> A third tutorial that I like (it's the one I learned dot plots on) is
>>> Charley Kyd's at ExcelUser.com:
>>>
>>> http://www.exceluser.com/dash/dotplot.htm
>>>
>>> The technique here is similar to that in Jon's tutorial: horizontal bar
>>> chart for the labels, XY series for the dots.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Del Cotter
>>> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
>>> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>>>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

one more time index/match
I know I asked this same type of question yesterday but for some reason I cannont get it to work. Here is my problem: B2 � has a list to choose from either 5kv, 15kv, 25kv, � B3 � has a list also to choose from 8, 10, 12, 500 B4 � here is my problem: I need B4 to look up B2 and match the size to sheet2 column B Then take the value in B3 match it with the value in sheet2 column D And input the number located in column F in that same row across. I am pretty sure this can be done but I am having a hard time trying to index and match where I need to find two values from two comumns. Thanks fo...

Auto Populate Time
I am trying to create a employee time tracking sheet, I can auto populate the time and date no problem for each record i.e. login, logout however once I perform that task I need that data to write to a different cell on a different worksheet based on the date criteria and remain there when the date changes. Any suggestions? did you try copy=pastespescial-values (not testex) "JAG" <JAG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A41842EE-0D4A-485F-8ABF-FBBCCF8C0847@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a employee time tracking sheet, I can auto populate the >...

Rotate Time Line dates
Hi, This is my last question (for the time being). How to rotate the dates on a time line bar by 90 degrees (left or right)? In my attempts, the dates are unreadable because they overlap. I will overlook the proper command. -- Mvg, Frans ...

Cells not recognised for charts
I have a table of public domain data from Nomis (The UK Gov't office that provides data on employment). I have created the table manually and it works fine. The Nomis one will not display as a chart. I have copied the formatting of the manual one to the Nomis version, so it's not that. All cells are 'general' in both tables. If I double click in each cell, it does something to it and it will then be recognised but I cannot see anything which tells me what the difference is before and after. If anyone can help me understand what the issue is, and even better, how to solve i...

Excel chart, changing into sections to color
I have a line chart. The user is dividing the chart, manually, with verticle lines. In one section, he wants the chart to be red, in the next section he wants it blue and the third section he wants it yellow. I think it's a neat concept but in trying everything I can think of, I'm not thinking it's possible. The lines color cannot be changed mid-stream. Any thoughts?? Do you want the lines or the background to change color? Here are examples showing in principle how to change colors behind the lines: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartIndex.html#Background - Jo...

Automatically entering a number of tables when prompted.
Hi im new to this. Through work I have created a table of activities and persons details for a youth centre. I use a word document to enter and track the usage. The Problem is only some of the tables are relevant depending on the activity / day of use. So I want to only show these when required, and auto insert x amount of tables when prompted. i.e. Day (Field box) Activity (Field box ) =Depending on the activity choosen will insert relevant table of information required, ie court size, number of persons, refs, book ref etc No of Participants (Box type in number) =Pr...

Special chart
Hi everybody I'm getting desperate, trying to make a non standard chart with excel It's so simple i don't get why i can't achieve to do it. I join a jp of the chart i'm thinking of (not enough confident with my english t try to explain it here !). You guys sure know how to make it : actually, it's very very ver important for me (three years of study nearly depend on it !). Thank u all by advance Seamu Attachment filename: dd.jpg Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=40519 -- Message posted from ht...

Labelling at xy scattered chart
I am working on a xy scattered chart which has in x number of days and in Y depth. I want to put labels on different points but respecting a x-y location (I mean at a cetain depth on a certain day). I want these labels to be automatically written and updated as chart grows bigger with time passing and depth increasing. Thanks for help !! -- kl There are several third party Excel add-ins which allow you to link data labels to the contents of worksheet cells. Two good (and free) ones are: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-...

Third Party Charting Add-ons/Plug-ins/Controls
Can somebody suggest any third party Charting Add-ons/Plug-ins/Controls that expand the charting capabilities of MS Excel? Such that may be code-controlled in VB or VBA. Hans Hans - What is it you are trying to accomplish? The capabilities of Excel charting are broader than most people imagine. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Hans Wolf wrote: > Can somebody suggest any third party Charting > Add-ons/Plug-ins/Controls that expand the charting capabilities of MS > Excel? >...

how to display full path instead of filename
Hello In a MDI app, how can I display full path of the doc in the titlebar of the window? Thanks Vaclav hi first u get the full path of the file by using CFile::GetFilePath. it returns the full path of the file. then update the window title bar by using SetWindowText naren "Václav Jedlièka" wrote: > Hello > > In a MDI app, how can I display full path of the doc in the titlebar of the > window? > > Thanks > > Vaclav > > > Thank you very much But I had the CFrame CDocument CView architecture in mind. In the meantime I found I...

Charting Smoke drift in winds based upon varying speed and altitud
Does anyone have any idea how Excel might be used for the subject problem. Hoping to get some sort of a chart that would show a predicted downwind pattern of smoke particles at a particular distance based upon wind speed. -- Thanks, Jerry Presumably you have a model that makes numerical predictions of smoke particle distributions? If so, you need to think of a way to graphically display this predicted data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Jott" <Jott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

How do I count odd numbers in a range?
Could someone please help me!!! I am trying to count how many odd and even numbers there in a range. I have tried to use the 'countif' , 'iseven' and 'isodd' formulas. However, I have been unsuccessful. Can someone please let me know if this can be done? Here's a formula from an older post by Peo Sjoblom that seems to do what you want: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(A1:A22,2)=1)) Adjust the range as necessary. tj "Rob" wrote: > Could someone please help me!!! > > I am trying to count how many odd and even numbers there in a range. I have > trie...

Pivot charts in powerpoint
Hi, I'm trying to create a presentation that includes pivot charts. The reason I want to do this is that there are numerous permutations to cover - thus the pivot. In the interim I have copied the charts as a link - but this is not ideal because I have to keep going back to the spreadsheet which looks messy during a presentation. It would be great if the pivot chart filter could be used in ppt. I'm using PPT 2007. Thanks, Graeme Open the custom animation pane. Select the Excel object on the slide. Choose Add Effect | Object Actions | Open (or Edit -- I don...

Change default Contract View to Active instead of Draft
When you are itn eh account view and select the contracts link the default view will show you DRAFT contracts instead of Active Contracts. Since this is a entity that is embedded within an Entity there is no way to modify the default view to show Active. To reproduce what I am reffering to: Open an account record and click on the contracts link, it will show you the Draft contracts and then you have to manually change it to Active contracts with no way to make this default. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the mos...

2007 has a fit each time i want to hyperlink text
Hello, I have a project where i need to add many links to a document, however each time i select text and click the "linking" button, Publisher has a fit for around 40 seconds then I am able to add a link. I cant find any "product service pack updates" for publisher 2007, just for office (which i will see now if that will update publisher (as i only have publisher 2007, not office. When i say has a fit, it freezes up with 99% CPU useage, then after 40 seconds or so springs back into life, I have maybe 1000 links to add to my document and cant have publi...

Working Time calculation
I would like to generate report for those who late to work. But the database time is in text format, so i change it to short time using code as below. Is it correct ? & how do i set a calculation for total time late in HH:MM:SS as my working time is 09:00 Format(IIf(IsNull([dbo_Punctual.TrTime]),#12/30/2010#,[dbo_Punctual.TrTime]),'Short Time') AS [TRANSACTION TIME] "Nancy Tang" <NancyTang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1A7B165-2340-4BF7-8447-5C38B1D63EAA@microsoft.com... >I would like to generate report for those who late to ...

TRUE/FALSE NUMBER CLOSER/NEARER??-please help anyone
hi all, can anyone help me with this problem. i am after a formula that produces a TRUE or FALSE when 2 or mor different numbers are the closest to the objective number. below are some examples. 500 is 275 closer to 500 than 400:answer: FALSE is 400 closer to 500 than 275:answer :TRUE basically the formula should be like this:which is closer to 500, 27 (false) or 400 (true). or 15 is 16 closer to 15 than 17:answer:TRUE is 17 closer to 15 than 16:answer:FALSE hope everyone can understand the examples. i also help someone out there can help me with this formual. thankyou for reading this THR...

sum and minus columns and rows at the same time
How do I use the minus feature to subtract numbers in a row and then keep a running total in the corresponding column? I have tried everything I know and I can't seem to get it done right. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Excel 2000
I have been using the Excel Program for several years (home use) but not to a 1/10th of its potential. I want to create an invoice for my business whereby the invoice number automatically prints in sequencial order every time I ask it to print and to remember the last number which was printed - if that makes any sense. The invoice will be a template and not completed "on-screen". Is this possible?:confused: --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I think it gets too dangerous to mechanize this a lot. If sheets are lost and have to be reprinted, you could have more...

adding minutes (> 60 ) to military time
I am using a spreadsheet with military time expressed as hhmm (no ":"). I need to be able to add time intervals, expressed in minutes (not i decimals of hours) to these military times to get estimated timef o completion in the same time format (HHMM). For example, at 1835 w started a project estimated to take 145 minutes complete. I can do th math in my head to see that 145 minutes = 2 hours and 25 minutes for a ETA of 2050 but I can't make the spreadsheet do it. I'd appreciate an help Thanks Do -- grilla7 ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Simple Date/Time Macro
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "9/16/2009" Range("B1").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "9:25 AM" Range("C1").Select End Sub I want to set up a simple workbook that enters the above information on the current line in the sheet. When I recorded the keystrokes I wanted, I ended up with the following macro, which only works once. Starting with the second line, running the macro puts the date in the right place, skips Column B and then leaves the cursor in R1C1. How do I get this macro to enter all the information on the current line (date in c...

Updating charts in Excel
For some reason, my charts no longer seem to update when the source data itself is updated. The source data cells are actually formulas themselves, but they are updating with the new information just fine. It's very strange that the table the values are drawn from have changed and are current but the chart itself still shows old numbers. The only way I can fix it is to right click, select source data, then re-enter the source data cells. (Actually I change one cell and then change it back and it updates.) Does anyone have any idea why my workbook is no longer updating cells? By...

How do I get a column to appear along the horizontal axis of chart
I have two adjacent numerical columns; when I select them to create a chart Excel chooses to plot both columns vertically side by side. Instead of that I want the left column to appear along the bottom of the chart and the right column to be vertical. This is probably very simple but it is doing my head in. Any suggestions most appreciated. Hi, Sounds like it's a Scatter graph you want to produce - just select XY (scatter) as your chart type and it should get the result you want. You can then add a trend line to get linear representaion of your data. Hope this works/helps. Andr...

when the size of view change,how can I also change size of the font,chart in this view
all: I want to change the size of font and chart go with the view's size changing. what can I do . thx for anyone respone. &best regards. terrcy.j terrcy wrote: > all: > > I want to change the size of font and chart go with the view's size > changing. > > what can I do . > > > thx for anyone respone. > > &best regards. > > terrcy.j > > Handle the WM_SIZE message in the view. It is passed the new size. To change the font you will have to call the CFont's DeleteOjbect, then cal...

How to get current date & time in a specific time zone
Hi folks, How can I get the current time of a specific time zone? For example, my workstation was set in "(GMT+08:00 Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi)", how can I get the relative datetime in "(GMT-06:00 Central Time (US & Canada) with daylight saving changes". Rgds, Marco >How can I get the current time of a specific time zone? Marco , Have a look at the TzSpecificLocalTimeToSystemTime & SystemTimeToTzSpecificLocalTime APIs. Dave ...