Charting for a certain timeframe

Hello,

I am learning the in's and outs of excel and charting and need som
help.  I have a series of numbers that correlate to a time.  I need t
chart it based on the hour it falls in, and am having very little luck
Can anyone help please?  Below is the data that I have

Type.......CG.........RET........OTH.......DATE........TIME
CG............1...........0............0........10/10........16:40
OT............0...........0............1........10/10........17:09
CG............1...........0............0........10/10........17:20
RET..........0............1............0........10/10........18:01
CG...........1............0............0.........10/10......18:19

...etc...

I would like to create a bar or line graph that represents the amoun
of each type (CG,OT,RET) for each hour (4P, 5P, 6P)....any help will b
greatly appreciated..

--
dok11
dok112's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1058

Hi dok,

You can use a Pivot Table to Group the time interval in hourly increments.

If you need more help, email me separately and I will send you a workbook
that shows how to do this.

Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

"dok112" <dok112.1dxdvy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I am learning the in's and outs of excel and charting and need some
> help.  I have a series of numbers that correlate to a time.  I need to
> chart it based on the hour it falls in, and am having very little luck.
> Can anyone help please?  Below is the data that I have
>
> Type.......CG.........RET........OTH.......DATE........TIME
> CG............1...........0............0........10/10........16:40
> OT............0...........0............1........10/10........17:09
> CG............1...........0............0........10/10........17:20
> RET..........0............1............0........10/10........18:01
> CG...........1............0............0.........10/10......18:19
>
> ..etc...
>
> I would like to create a bar or line graph that represents the amount
> of each type (CG,OT,RET) for each hour (4P, 5P, 6P)....any help will be
> greatly appreciated...
>

> --
> dok112
> dok112's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10581
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=268001

0
mail953 (171)

Protecting only certain cells in a worksheet
Hi. I have a template that where I want users to update certain cells only. I was able to accomplish this by protecting the worksheet while unlocking the cells that need to be updated. The problem is that the rows containing the unlocked cells are grouped. I want the user to be able to ungroup them if necessary. I have tried selecting the entire rows and unlocking them but seems the grouping thing still does not work. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Regards, Sumit Khanna I think your only choice is to give users a macro to run that does the unmerging. The macro wou...

How to rotate a line-chart?
Is there a way to rotate the chart 90 degrees clockwise. The chart is as I want it to be only tilted. I've tried to approach the problem by changing the in-data (switching the values with the category) but that just made things worse, - because i have several functions in the same chart. -- Borgas ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Borgas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28660 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483325 What is the chart type for your chart? "Borgas...

Combination charting with two axis
I would like to create a combination chart with three chart types: 1. line chart to show month to month accum total growth for the year. 2. a single bar for each month showing the target. 3. a stacked bar for each month showing two actual total comprise of two sub-groups. I can not figure how to combine the bars and obtain one stacked bar and one single bar. The bars are either all stacked or all single. You have to fake the clustered-stacked appearance through careful staggering of the data: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Then copy the range for the "li...

Want to chart teen sons responsiblity
Trying to graphically prove whether my son is worthy of a car. I have a spreadsheet with this header row: Date Time Promise Actual time Commitment Actual Commitment Task/Help Actual Task/Help Plus/Minus I plan to manually enter the "Plus/Minus" on a 1-10 scale with 5 being expected, the norm. So I want the chart/graph to populate the results of that "Plus/Minus" with the Date on the left (x-axis?) and the results on the bottom (y-axis?). I tried doing it but it is a mess. Thanks in advance for your help! Using Office 2003 "drumz" wrote: > Trying to gr...

Protecting certain cells #2
How can I lock only certain cells in excel. I dont want to lock the whole sheet, only the cells that have formulas in them. ...

Combining different charts on a single chart
Hello, I would like to combine different charts on a single chart, like having several subplots on a single chart. I admit the description is not very useful, so I attached what I am aiming for (a heat map from the IMF), and in the excel file with what kind of data I am dealing with. To plot a single chart it is working well (for ex. for charting TS A or TS B), but ideally I would like to combine TS A and TS B on the same chart. Any ideas ? Cheers, Charles +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Goal - Heat Map.jpg ...

Saving Pivot Chart Alterations
Hi, I am creating a pivot chart and then altering the colors, alignment etc. However, everytime I change a parameter from drop down lists, the colors default to original. How can I avoid this. Satya This is a known problem in Excel 2000. There's some info in the following MSKB article, which suggests recording a macro as you apply the formatting: XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904 satya wrote: > I am creating a pivot chart and then altering the colors, > alignment etc. However, everytime I change a paramete...

My chart is not showing; it's all grayed out.
I created a very simple 3-D pie chart which used to work just fine. Recently, everytime I open the file, the chart is all grayed out. I deleted it and recreated it over and over again. It just won't show anymore. Just grayed out! Anyone has any idea why? Hi, Check the setting Tools > Options > View > Object: Show All is checked. Sounds like you currently have Show Placeholders set. Cheers Andy mmm wrote: > I created a very simple 3-D pie chart which used to work just fine. > Recently, everytime I open the file, the chart is all grayed out. I deleted > it a...

Print out certain forms automatically
Hello everyone, I am designing a spreadsheet for my company, an insurance brokerage, to be used as a quote sheet. When we send out quotes, we attach certain forms (out of about 50 total) to the back of the quote, which reflect the limits of the coverage and things of that nature. Right now, we pull (by hand) each of the required forms for each account and attach each one physically, and it is very time consuming. Can I set up a list in this Excel spreadsheet with check boxes that will allow us to select the ones printed with the quote? Will this require putting every form into the Excel f...

Weeks in Gantt Charts !!!???
I Gantt Chart, the weeks start on a sunday and not on a monday. Is there a way to change this ? ...

my chart is grey when not clicked on it. why?
In Excel, my chart becomes grey when not clicked on it (making it impossible to print, as far as I know). Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Using XP, Excel '03. Thanks! Hi, You need to set Object to Show All. Tools > Options > View > Objects > Show All Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "RobJ" <RobJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FABFD23-5957-4644-A96C-F0A14187E6FC@microsoft.com... > In Excel, my chart becomes grey when not clicked on it (making it > impossible > to print, as far...

Nice looking graphs/charts in Access forms
I am building an Access system that was originally developed in Excel. It is primarily a data storage system (hence the conversion to Access) but its presentation is primarily done with graphs/charts. Is there anyway I can create nice looking graphs to replicate the ones created in excel? I've tried using the Chart 11.0 component but it looks pretty ugly compared to excel.. and I need to be able to let the user do specify criteria on the fly to manipulate the graph so the graph needs to be able to redraw itself quickly & look good (the Chart 11.0 component resizes the graph poorly &...

How do I get my chart to show data across the new year?
I have a data chart of attendance. It covers every Sunday's attendance from June 2009 to June 2010. However, the line graph stops at 12/27/09. For some reason it won't show the graph past that. I have checked the source data and it covers all the way through June 2010. What am I missing? Look at the Source Data parameters in the chart. Chart menu/ Source Data ... -- David Biddulph Susan H. wrote: > I have a data chart of attendance. It covers every Sunday's > attendance from June 2009 to June 2010. However, the line graph > stops at 12/27/09. For...

How do I align, data labels and leaders on a pie Chart in Excel
When you have many data values displayed in a Pie Chart, how can you align the leaders and text neatly, instead of doing it manually, one ny one? ...

Restricting mailing to certain Distribution Lists
Is there a way to restrict mailing to certain distribution lists? What we have is a distribution list that contains all of our employees with our company. We want to restrict the mailing to this group internally to only a select group of individuals. How would you accomplish this? Thanks everyone, Jermaine Go to properties of DL, Click on Exchange general on the bottom select Only from and add whom you like to be received e-mails from this DL, or you could say From everyone except and respective selection to the list Cheers oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu ____________...

11.3.3 update won't apply to a certain machine
Greetings, We have one MacBook Pro which will not accept the 11.3.3 update, even after removing and reinstalling Office 2004 (by dragging the Microsoft Office 2004 folder and AutoUpdate application to the trash), and then attempting the update again. The error is (paraphrasing) "The installer can't find an appropriate version of software to update." My understanding is the 11.3.3 updater is a comprehensive rollup update, and can apply to any version of Office 2004. Is there a particular file the installer looks for to check for an appropriate version? (We worked around t...

Publish charts as PNG
Hello, The Publish process from Excel to Web transforms charts to Gif files, resulting in poor resolution quality. Is it possible to improve the quality by transforming to other pictures types or by any other means? Thanks Avi You can save a chart as *.png before posting that *.png only to Web But I don't know how to do this through>Button>Publish Sub SaveAspng() ' Saves the active chart as a png file ' Prompts for a file name and directory Dim FileName As Variant If ActiveChart Is Nothing Then MsgBox "Select a chart to export.&qu...

How do I eliminate empty cells from plotting on chart
How do I eliminate empty cells from plotting zeros on my chart? I am working on a simple chart that plots weight loss on Y axis and date on X axis. I plot my weight values that I record once a week. The data series is part of a spreadsheet that records diet information on a daily basis. However, because the series of values had six empty cells between weight values, the chart shows each weight value okay but in between you see six zero values. When displaying the chart I go to tools options/chart tab and under plot empty cells as, I click on Plot empty cells as not plotted, and Plot v...

Sizing a Pie Chart (reduce margins)
I can't figure-out how to make my Pie Chart larger - without making the entire chart larger (ie. I want to reduce the margin space around the Pie). Any suggestions? Hi, You need to increase the plot area. To select this image a box around the pie and click in the area that would be a corner. Or use the up/down arrow to cycle through the charts major elements. Cheers Andy lkoyne wrote: > I can't figure-out how to make my Pie Chart larger - without making the > entire chart larger (ie. I want to reduce the margin space around the Pie). > Any suggestions? -- Andy ...

'Closing' a chart window
Hello, When an embedded chart is in its window, clicking the 'X' of the window merely removes the window but does not remove the chart (chart object). Is there a way to remove/delete the chart when clicking on the 'X'? Thanks/Cheers. Marc R. Bertrand Clicking the 'X' closes the window and leaves the chart selected. Use the Delete key next. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <59bb2e05.0312151111.68702369@posting.google.com>, mb@goa...

Charting Time #2
Hi I have a temperature graph that I need to chart over time. From 0 to 168hrs but the Log chart in Custom Types gives me even spaces between the times which is not what I want .25mins to 168 hrs? If I was to plot the graph in minutes it would be too vast - huge! Is there any add-ins available to do this type of graph. Thanks -- Kind regards Ann Shaw No add-ins necessary, just use Excel. You can put your data in decimal hours if you want, or enter it as hh:mm format. Don't include text labels in the same cell, or Excel will treat the times as categorical labels. Make an XY char...

Bar Chart Legend Key
I have several stacked bar charts. In some the legend keys are square, in others rectangular. Same font size in all. How can I make them all the same - i don't really mind whether they are square or rectangulat, I just want them to be consistent! I've seen them as rectangular when in a combo chart with a line chart series. The squares are stretched out to match the line and marker in the legend for the line series. The only control you have is indirect, based on whether you add this extra series or not. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Soluti...

Adjust scale of chart to match real world
Hi- I'm plottig a series of x,y points for designing model rocket nose cones in Excel. I've got everything set up correctly but have two problems- 1. What settings would I use on the x and y axis so that my chart properly displays the correct proportion of my nose cone? I'm assuming that the x and y axis should both start and end with the same values- is that correct? 2. And, after I get the proportion correct, is there a way to print out the chart to match real world dimensions? For example, I'm plotting my dimensions in inches. Can I somehow print out the chart so that...

Charting cells across worksheets?
I have some reports that I imported into Excel. Each report makes its own worksheet according to date(e.g. Dec sales totals = Sheet1, Jan sales totals = Sheet2, etc...) within the same file. I would like to chart one particular cell in each worksheet according to the date, also listed in the worksheet but I cannot figure out how to select values across worksheets. Is it possible to chart the same cell across worksheets and if so how(something similar to Sheet$1!$D$6)? Hi fi your sheet names are in column A enter the following in column B: =INDIRECT("'" & A1 & "&#...

How can I change typesetting (spacing, etc.) of bar chart axis lab
I'm using Excel 2000 (though I have access to other versions), and I'm trying to create a series of stacked-bar charts which have a uniform plot area and which list 5-6 word X-axis labels right-justified in 9-point bold Arial on a single line. Unfortunately, adjusting the plot area produces random results with the x-axis labels, which typically seem to want to be centered and written across two lines, rather than one. What's especially odd is that the chart area is very large, but the labels adjust themselves in such a way that there's a massive amount of empty space o...