Charting Filtered Data

I have an excel sheet that has a bunch of data imported to it from SQL
Server 2k.  I need to either pull all the relevant data from a date
typed in by the user which that data returned will be used to build my
charts,
or
find a way to build the chart from filtered data where the entire table
is imported, but the user selects the data to filter on. (this idea is
probably not a good idea as the table is already at 11k records and
grows by roughly 20 records a day).

--
BCullenward
BCullenward's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25106

To show only filtered data, select the chart, then Tools | Options... |
Chart tab | Active chart section | select the 'Plot visible data only'
checkbox.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Multi-disciplinary business expertise
  + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

In article <BCullenward.1xityd_1130349928.4464@excelforum-nospam.com>,
BCullenward.1xityd_1130349928.4464@excelforum-nospam.com says...

> I have an excel sheet that has a bunch of data imported to it from SQL
> Server 2k.  I need to either pull all the relevant data from a date
> typed in by the user which that data returned will be used to build my
> charts,
> or
> find a way to build the chart from filtered data where the entire table
> is imported, but the user selects the data to filter on. (this idea is
> probably not a good idea as the table is already at 11k records and
> grows by roughly 20 records a day).
>

> --
> BCullenward
> BCullenward's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25106
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=479532

0
Tushar

Chart wizard funcitonality in Excel 2007?
I hope I'm missing something in Excel 2007. In Excel 2003, the chart wizard gives you access to lots of options when you create a graph--graph type, data range, the various series (including the X axis labels), the chart title and axis titles, gridlines, legends, and others. It doesn't take long to create the graph with most of the options you want and then tweak it pretty quickly. In Excel 2007, it seems that every option is a separate button/menu/choice. Setting the chart title, the x-axis title, and the y-axis title are three different operations. Ditto for pretty much everyt...

Creating a Combination Bar Chart with 2 Lines
I am trying to create a bar chart with 2 line series. The Y-axis for the vertical bars would be on the left and the Y-axis for the 2 line series would be on the right (3 series were defined). The horizontal axis for all series are calendar months (Jan, Feb, etc.) Every time I setup the chart my chart only displays a single line, ignoring the other line series. The vertical bars come out fine. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Thanks Bill Falzone Don't use the built in types. Make the chart using all columns. Select a series that you want to change (click on it right in th...

Hidden data when pasting from html page into Excel?
I have a situation where I copy a report, which is generated as an html page, into Excel for analysis. When a new copy/version of the report is available, I copy and paste the new data over top of the old in Excel. I've noticed that the size of my Excel file is growing after each copy/paste situation. To manage this, I can delete the worksheet where I paste the data and reconstruct it. After doing nothing else, saving the workbook results in an immediate reduction of file size. If I simply select everything on the sheet and delete, the file size does NOT go down; I have to delet...

Outlook 2002 and Retrieving Data Error Message
OS is Windows XP SP1 Email - Outlook 2002 SP3 Error Message: Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <server name>. You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Other Related Issues: At times, the message displays the correct server name and sometime it does not. At times, it displays the name of an active directory server. This only happens to workstations located in an remote office connecting to the exchange server via ADSL\VPN connection. We have one exchange 2003 server - public...

Add the same field twice to a pivot table but filter one of them?
In my datasheet, I have a "cost" column and a "date" column so each cost has an associated date. In my pivot table, I've added the "cost" as a field, which shows the total and this is fine. However, I'd like to add the "cost" as a field again and this time selecting which dates to include in the cost number so that I have two cost fields side by side. Is something like this possible? Hi That is not possible in the same PT. You will need to set up a second PT based upon the same data set as the first but do NOT use the same Pivot Cache to save ...

map data (x-y axis) with diffent series name
I have a set of x-y coordinate data set and i would like to plot them showing the respective series name. Is there an automatic way of doing this without haing to plot the data points separately. eg Name x y A 1 6 B 2 3 C 3 4 D 4 2 E 5 5 .. . . .. . . .. . . I will like to have a plot of x and y with A, B, C as series name without having to plot the points one after the other. Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Char...

How do I turn the pivot chart into a list with all cells filled?
I have the pivot chart and would like to copy and paste it so that all fields are filled Select the pivot table. Choose Edit>Copy Select the cell where you'd like to paste the copy Choose Edit>Paste Special Select Values, click OK There are instructions here for filling the blanks: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html gianna wrote: > I have the pivot chart and would like to copy and paste it so that all fields > are filled -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Best tool for adding a pivot chart like chart to a report?
Is it the PivotChart form or should I used the MSChart OCX? Which is easier to set up/configure to display the data properly? (A multi-column, multi-entity bar chart) Which is the most flexible? And where can I find tutorials on using both? Thanks Kyle Jedrusiak ...

Creating a time chart
Can someone tell me if this is possible. I want to be able to create a chart that represents a week. There will be seven bars and each bar will represent the day my business is open. I want to be able to enter starting times in one column, let's say column B and a quitting times in column C. These two columns represent Sunday. I want D and E to represent Monday. I'll do this for all seven days. Is there a way I can create a stacking bar chart (or any chart) that will place a bar representing that employee's shift in the chart. All bars will not start on the horizontal axis, b...

paired bar chart
Is it possible to create a paired bar chart in Excel? please define paired bar chart? "abj2" wrote: > Is it possible to create a paired bar chart in Excel? See Jon Peltier's site on Tornado Charts http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html "abj2" wrote: > Is it possible to create a paired bar chart in Excel? ...

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Ser
Hi I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail then gets stuck in my outbox. I still receive all email and this only happends over one particular broadband connection??? If i use dial up it works and if i go to some other broadband connection it works... any ideas? _VERITAS_ wrote: > Hi > I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from > the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail > then gets stuck in my outbox. I s...

cannot filter excel files in "files of type"
I have Outlook 2003, and when I try to add an attachment, I cannot filter based on Excel files in "Files of type". Excel is the listed but other like Word are. The entire Office 2003 suite is installed on the PC and I tried reinstalling to no avail. Also, Customize is grayed-out under the tools menu in Outlook\new mail message. Please help me out. thanks. Sorry, I mean to say Excel is NOT listed under "Files of Type" "wli2k2" wrote: > I have Outlook 2003, and when I try to add an attachment, I cannot filter > based on Excel files in "Files ...

How to filter out Leads with "follow-ups"?"
Does anyone know how to set up filers in Advance Find to only pull up Leads with follow-ups? or how can you "flag" or identify Leads with follow-ups within the Leads module without having to go to tasks. Thanks. "Denise" <Denise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1DBCD73-DAC7-4F79-8446-B904E8B6EFBD@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to set up filers in Advance Find to only pull up > Leads > with follow-ups? or how can you "flag" or identify Leads with follow-ups > within the Leads module without having to go to tasks....

Saving data #2
Hi all, I need to save data (results) from a base spread sheet program that i use on a weekly basis. i am in the middle of building this program, and have just discovered macros, but this, along with links is about my current knowledge of excel how can i automate to accumulate data from the base spread sheet (program) when i clear all data from the program to produce fresh results the following week, and to keep past data up to date and available for further use. Any help would be appreciated. legepe With a combination of formulas and dynamic named ranges, it is possible to just add the ...

Automating transfer of data in cells
I have a time management spreadsheet with data stored against work type and date. I need to transfer this data into a similar but more comprehensive spreadsheet and wonder whether it is possible to automate this task by using the work types and dates in a macro (I have almost 10 months of data to transfer), along the lines of check date, check worktype, where argument is true enter data from cell. I think I need to use visual basic, but I can't find out how in the help screens. Any advice is much appreciated. This is not difficult providing you keep your data in simple tables...

Get Access Data into Excel
Hi All, I am using excel macro to get data from access database. My sql query gives me 5 records or more than that. I am able to pull it different cells. But I want all the 5 results in single cell. Please help im not exactly sure what your trying to do, but maybe something like this will do the trick dim accval as string accval=rs!:XXX rs.movenext accval=accval & " " & rs!:xxx loop it till rs.eof=true hth dmoney "fi.or.jp.de" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using excel macro to get data from access database. >...

Cut'n'Pasting data
Greetings ! I have a CSV data file wot looks something like this - "1529.17698720957","133.597550559965" "1685.21901149326","132.817184396522" "1900.00000000000","130.300887834893" "2193.34485206410","121.730777157435" "2363.17295960769","114.937652855693" "2523.01169878763","108.544103288496" "3240.77088467590","87.805735336415" "3590.69860622591","81.680775462264" "4229.19543928027","78.487652800160" This data i...

How to access data buffers in a completion routine for a KMDF driv
I'm porting a WDM upper filter driver to KMDF version. I have two questions about data accessing in a completion routine. 1. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data from Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and the data was set by function driver). How to do this for my KMDF driver? 2. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data by calling MmGetSystemAddressForMdlSafe(Irp->MdlAddress, NormalPagePriority)( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and t...

Automatically moving data #4

Making sure data is saved on closing application
Hi, I have built myself the following application from 'Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days' chapter 'Day 14 - Retrieving Data from an ODBC Database' http://serghei.net/docs/programming/c++/ty%20visualC++6%2021%20days/ch14/ch14.htm The application lets you edit and add records to a database (as well as just retreive them). The application uses recordset flags in code to make sure that data is saved if you edit one record and move to another. However, there is no code to make sure new or edited data is saved when the application is exited. After having poked about, I have...

refer to data on multiple worksheets using hlookup/look up data on many worksheets?
Hi I have data on many worksheets in the same workbook. Is it possible to look up data on multiple worksheets using Hlookup, which means can the second argument in the formula refer to multiple sources? If it is not possible, is there any other way I can do so? I would like to select and display data according to a fixed order, whereby the data is located in one of many worksheets in the same workbook. For eg, I have stock returns of many firms in many worksheets. Say I would like to display in a single worksheet the returns of Firm D, Firm Z, Firm R; whereby the data of these 3 fir...

Can I add a baseline value to a chart?
I have a chart that shows results of tests taken on different dates to show improvement. I need to add a baseline to the chart showing the Desired Result. From an earlier reply: You can add the lines to the chart by using extra data series. Here is a collection of examples. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Jeanine" <Jeanine@...

Pivot charts in Excel 2011
Can anyone confirm that Pivot Charts are not supported in Excel 2011 for Mac? ...

use excel to input data into dbf
Pls advise how to use excel to input data into dbf One approach would be to save your worksheet as a DBF file. Excel offers dBase II, III, and IV formats in the Save As Type drop-down box. Bill "akung" <akung410@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OuPsVww$EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... Pls advise how to use excel to input data into dbf But I only want to input data record by record so no need to input the whole dbase "Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message news:O$mZg10$EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > One approach would be to save...