Charting data points and show a target range on the same chart.

Can anyone offer advise on how to make a chart of data points (line) with in
a particular range of target values?  Speciffically, I am try to chart the pH
values of my fish tank.   I know how to plot the data points on a line graph,
but I'd like to add a visual "highlighted" target range section.  Ie, my data
records the pH for three days (8.2, 8.4, 8.5).  pH on the y-axis and the date
on the x-axis.  The acceptable range for the pH values for a saltwater tank
is 8.1 - 8.5  How can I indicate this target range within the chart?  Once I
learn how to do this I can apply it to other tests (nitrates etc..)
i'd sure appreciate some help...

If it were me, I'd plot this using a control chart.   Take a look at Jon
Peltier's example here:

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html

"Minireefkeeper" wrote:

> Can anyone offer advise on how to make a chart of data points (line) with in
> a particular range of target values?  Speciffically, I am try to chart the pH
> values of my fish tank.   I know how to plot the data points on a line graph,
> but I'd like to add a visual "highlighted" target range section.  Ie, my data
> records the pH for three days (8.2, 8.4, 8.5).  pH on the y-axis and the date
> on the x-axis.  The acceptable range for the pH values for a saltwater tank
> is 8.1 - 8.5  How can I indicate this target range within the chart?  Once I
> learn how to do this I can apply it to other tests (nitrates etc..)
> i'd sure appreciate some help...

0
BarbR (262)
4/16/2005 1:50:01 AM
There are several ways to do this.  The example illustrates an approach that
uses a combined line - stacked column chart:

To add the highlighted range and assuming you acceptable range is 8.1 - 8.5,
set your data up like below.  The first column is the date or time of your ph
reading.  The second column is you ph reading.  The third and fourth columns
will be used to set up highlighted range.  The third column is the bottom of
the range you want to highlight.  The fourth column is the top of the range
you want to highlight.

4/16/2004	    8.3	8.1	0.4
4/17/2004	    8.6	8.1	0.4
4/18/2004	    8.4	8.1	0.4
4/19/2004	    8.2	8.1	0.4
4/20/2004	    8.4	8.1	0.4
4/21/2004	    8.6	8.1	0.4

Assuming the data set above spans the range A1:D6, create a Stacked Column
chart based on the entire data set.

Next, click once on the series in the stacked column chart that contains
your actual data (it's the bottom column within each stacked column).
Right-click on your mouse and select Chart Type -> Line ->OK.

Click once on the bottom set of columns.  Right-click on your mouse and
select Selected Object.  In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the
Patterns tab.  Set the Border = None and the Area = None.

Click once on the middle set of columns (they should be the only columns
appearing in the chart now.  Right-click on your mouse and select Selected
Object.  In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the Patterns tab.  Set
the Border = None.  Finally, still within the Format Data Series dialog box,
go to the options tab and set the gap width to zero.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Minireefkeeper" wrote:

> Can anyone offer advise on how to make a chart of data points (line) with in
> a particular range of target values?  Speciffically, I am try to chart the pH
> values of my fish tank.   I know how to plot the data points on a line graph,
> but I'd like to add a visual "highlighted" target range section.  Ie, my data
> records the pH for three days (8.2, 8.4, 8.5).  pH on the y-axis and the date
> on the x-axis.  The acceptable range for the pH values for a saltwater tank
> is 8.1 - 8.5  How can I indicate this target range within the chart?  Once I
> learn how to do this I can apply it to other tests (nitrates etc..)
> i'd sure appreciate some help...

A second, and easier method is to use a stacked area chart.  Assuming the
same data set,

4/16/2004	8.3	8.1	0.4
4/17/2004	8.6	8.1	0.4
4/18/2004	8.4	8.1	0.4
4/19/2004	8.2	8.1	0.4
4/20/2004	8.4	8.1	0.4
4/21/2004	8.6	8.1	0.4

Select the range.  Go to the Chart Wizard and, under the standard types,
select -> Area - > Stacked Area.  Go though the rest of the Chart Wizard
prompts until your appears on you page.

Click once on the series at the bottom of the chart.  Right-click on you
mouse.  Select Chart Type -> Line -> OK.

Click once on the series at the bottom of the chart.  Right-click on you
mouse.  Select Selected Object.  In the Format Data Series -> Patterns Tab,
set the border = None and the Patterns = None.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"John Mansfield" wrote:

> There are several ways to do this.  The example illustrates an approach that
> uses a combined line - stacked column chart:
>
> To add the highlighted range and assuming you acceptable range is 8.1 - 8.5,
> set your data up like below.  The first column is the date or time of your ph
> reading.  The second column is you ph reading.  The third and fourth columns
> will be used to set up highlighted range.  The third column is the bottom of
> the range you want to highlight.  The fourth column is the top of the range
> you want to highlight.
>
> 4/16/2004	    8.3	8.1	0.4
> 4/17/2004	    8.6	8.1	0.4
> 4/18/2004	    8.4	8.1	0.4
> 4/19/2004	    8.2	8.1	0.4
> 4/20/2004	    8.4	8.1	0.4
> 4/21/2004	    8.6	8.1	0.4
>
> Assuming the data set above spans the range A1:D6, create a Stacked Column
> chart based on the entire data set.
>
> Next, click once on the series in the stacked column chart that contains
> your actual data (it's the bottom column within each stacked column).
> Right-click on your mouse and select Chart Type -> Line ->OK.
>
> Click once on the bottom set of columns.  Right-click on your mouse and
> select Selected Object.  In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the
> Patterns tab.  Set the Border = None and the Area = None.
>
> Click once on the middle set of columns (they should be the only columns
> appearing in the chart now.  Right-click on your mouse and select Selected
> Object.  In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the Patterns tab.  Set
> the Border = None.  Finally, still within the Format Data Series dialog box,
> go to the options tab and set the gap width to zero.
>
> ----
> Regards,
> John Mansfield
> http://www.pdbook.com
>
> "Minireefkeeper" wrote:
>
> > Can anyone offer advise on how to make a chart of data points (line) with in
> > a particular range of target values?  Speciffically, I am try to chart the pH
> > values of my fish tank.   I know how to plot the data points on a line graph,
> > but I'd like to add a visual "highlighted" target range section.  Ie, my data
> > records the pH for three days (8.2, 8.4, 8.5).  pH on the y-axis and the date
> > on the x-axis.  The acceptable range for the pH values for a saltwater tank
> > is 8.1 - 8.5  How can I indicate this target range within the chart?  Once I
> > learn how to do this I can apply it to other tests (nitrates etc..)
> > i'd sure appreciate some help...

That was EXCEPTIONALLY helpful!  Thank you.  I have numerous applications I
can apply this too.  Thanks so much,
MiniReefKeeper

"John Mansfield" wrote:

> [...]
> > go to the options tab and set the gap width to zero.
> >
> > ----
> > Regards,
> > John Mansfield
> > http://www.pdbook.com
> >
> > "Minireefkeeper" wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone offer advise on how to make a chart of data points (line) with in
> > > a particular range of target values?  Speciffically, I am try to chart the pH
> > > values of my fish tank.   I know how to plot the data points on a line graph,
> > > but I'd like to add a visual "highlighted" target range section.  Ie, my data
> > > records the pH for three days (8.2, 8.4, 8.5).  pH on the y-axis and the date
> > > on the x-axis.  The acceptable range for the pH values for a saltwater tank
> > > is 8.1 - 8.5  How can I indicate this target range within the chart?  Once I
> > > learn how to do this I can apply it to other tests (nitrates etc..)

You're welcome.  Additionally, I've added an explanation to my site for
documentation.

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/horizontal_color_bands_stacked_area_chart/

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"MiniReefKeeper" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Assuming the data set above spans the range A1:D6, create a Stacked Column
> > > chart based on the entire data set.
> > >
> > > Next, click once on the series in the stacked column chart that contains
> > > your actual data (it's the bottom column within each stacked column).
> > > Right-click on your mouse and select Chart Type -> Line ->OK.
> > >
> > > Click once on the bottom set of columns.  Right-click on your mouse and
> > > select Selected Object.  In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the
> > > Patterns tab.  Set the Border = None and the Area = None.
> > >
> > > Click once on the middle set of columns (they should be the only columns
> > > appearing in the chart now.  Right-click on your mouse and select Selected
> > > Object.  In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the Patterns tab.  Set
> > > the Border = None.  Finally, still within the Format Data Series dialog box,
> > > go to the options tab and set the gap width to zero.

Wit U Talkin Aboot Ya BigFat Wamk

0
hayleigh (1)

timeline chart within a scatter plot
I have an excel scatter plot that displays some point information when the mouse cursor hovers over the data point. The information displayed are beginning and end time for different events that occured for that particular data point. What I would like to do now is be able to chart a timeline chart that will display the different time event when I click on a datapoint. Has anyone done anything similar to this? A chart that can generate another chart in excel? Thanks, You can use the click event to trigger a VBA procedure that creates the second chart. Here's an article about chart ...

Plotting 1 curve from 2 separate x-axis data
I have stock portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily. After portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December. Plots easily. These data are on 2 separate worksheets. Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year. The first 6 months is easy. How can I plot a continuous curve for the whole year without having to insert the first 6 months worth on the last 6 months worksheet? Not sure I explained this very well, but --- Dave The easiest way is to have both sets of data on one (a new?) worksheet. Then you can plot as with one or two series. Copy a...

Mounting old Data Stores
Hi. Due to problems with Win2003 SBS, I did a reinstall of Win2003 SBS sp1 from original CD-s. Before 'deleting' the old Windows, I made an ASR tape backup of the running server. It seams the ASR backup backed up only drive C: with all relevant data. As other data were on drive D: (Exchange data files, SQL data files,...), I backed up the D: drive too to a separate tape in a separate ntbackup session. Before the backup I used Exmerge to export all users mailboxes. Later I imported those mailboxes in a new Exchange installation. Unfortunately the user forgot to told me, they hav...

Chart templates?
There are 24 tabs in my workbook and each needs a columnar color-coded chart relevant to the spreadsheet data. Is there a way I can do 1 master chart, then export/copy to all other tabs to populate each chart with the appropriate tab's data? ...

Import external data-text files but placed in the next column rather than next empty row
I want to import text files in to one worksheet. The text files are sent daily and all the same format. However the text file names change buy an incremental number. Is it possible to create a macro that imports these text files, ignoring their exact filename but from the same source directory into one worksheet. Can you use wild cards for the name e.g. "********.txt"? At the moment I can manually do this, by selecting the cell below the last record then using the process "Get external Data" and following the wizard which works fine. As soon as I try to create a m...

OWA Not show messages
Users messages and folders can display in OWA but when a user clicks on the message to read it they got an Internal 500 error. I am using Exchange 2000 SP3 on a Windows 2000 SP4 Box. Any ideas on what cause this? Thanks ...

Frx: linked data worksheet summing error
We use linked data worksheets for some of our reporting. The column format displays both current period and YTD. The YTD column is not calculating the correct amounts from the worksheet. For example, if we were in period 12, it would sum the YTD column as follows. period 1: add 12x period 2: add 11x period 3: add 10x period 4: add 9x ....and so forth period 12: add 1x Obviously, this gives us a huge error in the ytd column. Anyone have an idea why this is occurring? We are using the /cpo format for the linked worksheet. Thanks ...

Help! Selecting data according to date range
I'm attempting to setup a worksheet for reminding employees to rene their licenses. I have input the data where the data range is from ro 3 - 84 (this could increase or decrease with hiring/firing, etc.). Th columns range from A - K with column H being *date*. I would like to start a new sheet (sheet2) in this workbook with th range of months in a year. In each monthly section it would search th data range in sheet 1 and return the records with the correspondin dates for that month. For example: If a employee's license expires i January, the entire record for that employee would...

Pivot Table chart field buttons
I have a pivot table chart with several field buttons across the top. How can I move them to the side? Thanks in advance for your help! You should be able to drag the field buttons from the page area to the column area. What happens when you try to move them? Jeff M wrote: > I have a pivot table chart with several field buttons across the top. How can > I move them to the side? > > Thanks in advance for your help! -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

about inserting data
hi, i am new to this newsgroup. I have little knwldge in Excel. How to create tables in Excel file. and also i want to execute the quries. How can i do that. thanks, regards, koti ...

Printing ORG chart
Hello. I have just created my first excel org chart. WOW- i am boggeled. It is a large org chart. When I started creating it the chart kept getting smaller because of my margins so i expanded them. Now I am finished. I need to print. The org chart actually starts in colum BT line 88 and ends in column DA line 167. Excel says it's 98 pages long but that's because of the page breaks. When I try adjusting the page breaks the chart gets to little to view. I would like the chart to print on one page which should be possible. I am trying to move the chart to column a line 1 so I can...

Need help with data validation format
I'm trying to make this format mandatory when someone enters his/her data in a cell. The format would be this : "### ###". Therefor, if the worksheet user doesn't enter a chain like this one : "113 244", the data just won't enter. And yes, the space beetween the 3 first and last numbers has to be there. I can't seem to find anything in the Data / Validation menu that enables me to do this :confused:. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~...

Adjustable print range
Morning, I have a file with 11 sheets and I need a macro to print sheets 2 and 4-11. The print ranges are changeable every time on sheets 4 to 11. Sheet 2 I need to print A20:N34 Sheets 4 to 11 I need to print A1:OX In order to find the X I have a list of numbers in col R. Starting in row 1 to row X I have numbers greater than 0. Row X will have a number > 0 and row X+1 = 0, always. Example 1 – in col R I have numbers that do 8 8 8 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 - print range needed is A1:O13 Example 2 – in col R I have numbers that do 3 3 3 3 1 2 3 4 0 0 0 0 0 0...

searching data
Is there a way in Excel to search multiple worksheets to collect "hits" of a particular entry? I have a 5-sheet workbook with about 2000 customer names, and I want to see if I have duplicates or repeats over all 5 sheets. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way in Excel to search multiple worksheets to >collect "hits" of a particular entry? I have a 5-sheet >workbook with about 2000 customer names, and I want to see >if I have duplicates or repeats over all 5 sheets. >. > This feature is available in Excel XP & 2003 -- in the Fin...

Using countif with a range of dates
Column Z contains multiple dates ranging over 10 years. I am trying to count the number of cells in Column A that are between two dates (e.g., 01/01/07 - 01/31/07.) I tried using =SUM((COUNTIF(Sheet2!Z:Z,"<01/31/07"))-(COUNTIF(Sheet2!Z:Z,">01/01/07"))) however, the count if not correct. The result is 3,172 via the above formula which is wrong. Using a filter, I know the correct result is 56, but I cannot correct my formula to reflect. Many Thanks! =COUNTIF(Sheet2!Z:Z,"<="&01/31/07)-COUNTIF(Sheet2!Z:Z,"<"&01/01/07) -- W...

Manual pie charts
Is there a way that I can create a blank, quartered pie chart that I can shade per quarter as needed? In A1:A4 enter 4 identical numbers (1,1,1,1) Make a pie chart Format the chart to make the colors white and the borders black Now you have a circle divided into four quarters. Put you could have done with the the Paint drawing program! best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "jumpinjujubeez1" <jumpinjujubeez1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43D38C65-89E3-4339-ABDF-59423A845703@microsoft.com... >...

Can a chart reference the local page
I have a weekly page of data, with charts on that page that reference that data. Each week I copy the page and rename it for the new week, but the charts (and pivot table) keep pointing back to the old week. How can I set up the charts to reference the data on the same page as the chart? Copy the whole sheet, with the embedded chart on it. Copy the new data, and paste it in place in the copied sheet. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Mike H" <MikeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

export public folder data?

How to select data series to format? (alternative needed)
Is there an alternate way to select a data series to format in an XY Scatter chart? The only way I know of is to move the cursor close to the series line and right-click. But if the chart includes many data series and the lines are close together, it is difficult, if not "impossible", to select the desired line. I am looking for a method that presents me with a list of all the data series, and I select the one I want to "right click" (i.e. open the menu that include format, add trendline and clear, among others). Or something else that would not be so difficult to use. ...

Support Contracts using "Points" not time or incidents
Help! We are in the process of implementing the service module of CRM, and I am trying to replicate our existing support points model without much success! We sell a variable number of support points to each customers and then every time we resolve a problem for them we deduct a variable number of points from their contract. >From what I can see so far, the only contract types within CRM are date coverage, time allotments, or incidents. At first I thought that the incidents model would be perfect for our needs, BUT the problem is that it only deducts one point/incident for each resolved...

Show Day of Week
How do I modify the following to show my what day of week was the createdate? SELECT o.CustomerNumber, o.OrderID, CONVERT(char(10), o.CreateDate, 101) as DateCreated, CONVERT(char(2), o.CreateDate, 108) as HourCreated, o.CreateName, datename(dw, getdate()) as Day FROM dbo.tblORDER O with (nolock) inner join dbo.tblOrder_Line OL with (nolock) On o.OrderID = Ol.OrderID Where o.CreateDate Between '8/01/09' and '8/01/10' and o.CreateName Not Like 'YED' and OL.ProductID In('AGA04426','AGA04538',) On Aug 16, 9:03=A0am, Qas...

Getting Excel's charting capabilities from Access
Hi, i currently export from Access to Excel in order to leverage Excel's advanced charting features. Is there a way to generate those Excel charts directly from Access? thx vince In Access, you could use the TransferSpreadsheet method to send the data to Excel. Then, in your Excel workbook, you could use Workbook_Open code to create the chart as the file is opened. vince wrote: > Hi, > i currently export from Access to Excel in order to leverage Excel's > advanced charting features. > > Is there a way to generate those Excel charts directly from Access? > &...

Data Not Displaying
I am having a weird instance with my report not showing a couple of data. This report is based on a table and has 7 groups. The weird instance is on group 1, where some of the data appeared but not all. For example, here are my data : ColA ColB ColC ColD .... So far, I have detected that in ColC, the data does not show in all rows. Ex.: I have 13 rows all together, but in rows 3 and 6, Col C is blank. I checked the data in the table and they're all there. It is just not showing up on the report. I checked the Conditional Formating for this textbox, but there i...

Selectively protect cell data
I would like to , when a cell is empty, be able to enter data, but, once data is entered have the cell protected. Is there any way to do this. I'm a novice. thanks for any help. Ken Ken, here is one way, Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) '******unlock all cells in the range first********* Dim MyRange As Range Const Password = "123" '**Change password here** Set MyRange = Intersect(Range("A1:B10"), Target) '**change range here** If Not MyRange Is Nothing Then Unprotect Password:=Password MyRange.Lock...

Pivot table returns "Problems obtainig data"
Office 2000 Prof. SR_1 with SP4. Created a Form in Access to display data from one "My table" using the Form "Excel Pivot Table". Exported "My table" and this Form to others databases. Works OK in all computers. In one computer is giving the following error message when trying to REFRESH de data: EXCEL Problems Obtainig data. Even when I tried to create it a new Form in that database using the same imported table, gives the same error message. ...