Charting blanks as spaces

I know you can chart blank cells as spaces by clicking it in the
options...this is a little different.

The cell it is charting as an if function in it to display a blank cell.
example:

=if(D3="","",D5-D3)

So when D3 is blank it should display in cell D6 a blank. But when it charts
it, it charts it as a zero. I want it to chart it as a gap.

I tried =if(D3="",NA(),D5-D3), This way i get a "#N/A" error in my cell,
which i can hide through conditional formating. but when i click display>data
labels>values in chart options it displays "#N/A" instead of a gap.

I need to somehow display a gap.

Please help
0
Todd1369 (159)

something like =if(D3="",DISPLAY NULL VALUE,D5-D3)

what can i put in there to make it a null value

"Todd" wrote:

> I know you can chart blank cells as spaces by clicking it in the
> options...this is a little different.
>
> The cell it is charting as an if function in it to display a blank cell.
> example:
>
> =if(D3="","",D5-D3)
>
> So when D3 is blank it should display in cell D6 a blank. But when it charts
> it, it charts it as a zero. I want it to chart it as a gap.
>
> I tried =if(D3="",NA(),D5-D3), This way i get a "#N/A" error in my cell,
> which i can hide through conditional formating. but when i click display>data
> labels>values in chart options it displays "#N/A" instead of a gap.
>
> I need to somehow display a gap.
>
> Please help
0
Todd1369 (159)
6/30/2009 6:34:01 PM
Hi,

When I plot a chart with NA() and turn on Data Labels, everything looks good
here.  What version of Excel are you using?  I tried it in 2003 and 2007.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Todd" wrote:

> I know you can chart blank cells as spaces by clicking it in the
> options...this is a little different.
>
> The cell it is charting as an if function in it to display a blank cell.
> example:
>
> =if(D3="","",D5-D3)
>
> So when D3 is blank it should display in cell D6 a blank. But when it charts
> it, it charts it as a zero. I want it to chart it as a gap.
>
> I tried =if(D3="",NA(),D5-D3), This way i get a "#N/A" error in my cell,
> which i can hide through conditional formating. but when i click display>data
> labels>values in chart options it displays "#N/A" instead of a gap.
>
> I need to somehow display a gap.
>
> Please help

Need to show percentage reduction on bar chart
Hi. I have a chart with two stacked columns on it. Say the values on the left stack are 200, 100, 80 and on the right stack 120, 40, 20. I want to display the totals on top of each stack ie 380 and 180. Secondly to the right of the right hand stack I want to show the percent reduction in each component. So 40%, etc. Is there a way to do these two tasks? Thanks. Put the totals (380, 180) into the worksheet, and add these as a new series. The series will be added as another stack, but right click on it, choose Chart Type, and select a line type to change it. The points are aligned ...

Blank E-mail #3
When I send an e-mail it comes through blank to the recipient. How do I fix this Try typing a message in the body before you send it. Ray at work "Edward Moalem" <moalem@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:017e01c3a303$4eb4b180$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When I send an e-mail it comes through blank to the > recipient. > > How do I fix this > > If your using SpamEnder it causes a conflict. And yes Ray I did type a message in the body of the e- mail LOL >-----Original Message----- >Try typing a message in the body before you send it. > >Ray at ...

saving a chart
When I make an excel chart, and save it, then try to later retrieve it, I get back to the spreadsheet and have to start over with a new chart. Can you save a chart with the properties you selected for the chart intact? The only way around this so far is to copy the chart to the clipboard and then open in an image program I am using PAINT for that. What version of Excel are you using? I do not have this problem. "Glenn Vatter" wrote: > When I make an excel chart, and save it, then try to later retrieve it, I > get back to the spreadsheet and have to start over with a ...

Trendlines in Pivot Charts
How do I add a trendline to a chart based on a pivot table? Is it possible Thanks Leroy - Did you try this? Right click on a series, and select Add Trendline from the pop up menu. This works in Excel 2000 and XP (2002), and presumably for 2003 as well; Excel 97 didn't support pivot charts. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Leroy wrote: > How do I add a trendline to a chart based on a pivot table? Is it possible? > > Thanks Jon - I am having a similar problem - I hav...

A "C" in the middle of my chart
There is a "C" or "(" that is showing up in the middle of my Excel bar chart, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Any ideas? Thanks, Em Move the cursor slowly up to the character (it's a textbox) until the cursor changes to the four arrow icon, click once to select the textbox, and press Delete. It might be easier to select the textbox if you select the "Select Objects" button (looks like a cursor arrow) on the Drawing toolbar. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Peltier...

insert blank line when text changes
Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to write a macro or something else... so while scrolling down a list everytime the text changes (in this case a name) a blank line would be inserted. Hi try the following macro. It tests column A and inserts a blank row if the values change Sub insert_rows() Dim lastrow As Long Dim row_index As Long lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.count, "A").End(xlUp).row For row_index = lastrow - 1 To 1 Step -1 If Cells(row_index, "A").Value <> Cells(row_index + 1, "A").Value Then Cells(row_index + 1, "A").Ent...

Table and Chart
I have three variables: Screen (month and year), Eligible (yes/no), and Enrolled (yes/no). Screen starts on March 2005 and will continue for several years to come. I want to create a column chart that shows for each month and year the number of people who were eligible and enrolled. Below is a sample of the data. I think I want something like this: IF A:A = Jan-05, then count B:B and C:C of the same row where A:A is the column for Screen B:B is the column for Eligible C:C is the column for Enrolled Once I have the table I should be able to do the graph. I'm sure though I&...

Creating Bubble Charts
How do you create a bubble chart that displays the legend as a description of the 3rd variable (the bubble size)? For example, how would you create the following bubble chart where the x-axis is column B, y-axis is column C, bubble size is column D and legend is column A? A1: B1:Gross Rev C1:Net Income D1:# of Plants A2:East B2:830,000 C2:35,000 D2:26 A3:West B3:620,000 C3:54,000 D3:13 A4:North B4:150,000 C4:80,000 D4:40 A5:South B5:41,000 C5:15,000 D5:35 Any insight will be helpful! Hi Tina I would create a bubble chart and use one of the following tools for labelling the...

Access 2007 graph/chart
I have created an access graph in Microsoft Office XP Professional using a union query. I have now moved the database into Access 2007. When I look at the graph in design view everything is fine. When I switch to form view, the window around the graph is present but no graph. If I click on the window, the graph appears as seen in design view (correct). How can I make the graph load properly? Is this a focus issue? Would appreciate any help. Thanks. Arnold ...

bubble chart
Hi ... Have about 10 bubbles there. Need to format data labels of ALL 10 bubbles at the same time. (I wanna select Alignment > label position > center, that means moving all 10 data labels to the center of the bubbles) Any method that i can do it in one go, without the need to select and format it one by one ? Using Excel 2002. Thanks. Hi, If the bubbles are all different series then no. You can reduce the time by using F4 which will repeat the command. So format one data label and then select another and press F4. Cheers Andy dstdst123@excite.com wrote: > Hi ... > >...

How do I keep chart/data link when copying worksheet
I have a worksheet for each month within a file - each worksheet has data tables, and some charts generated from that data. With Excel 2003, when I copied a worksheet within the same file (for example, to create the July sheet, by copying the June sheet) the charts in the new (copied) July sheet correctly linked to the July data. When I do the same in Excel 2007, the charts in the July sheet link back to the June data instead. I have looked through the options and cannot see how to do this. Is the data on the same sheet as the chart? In 2003, if the chart was on a different worksheet, ...

Using Defined Names in Charts
I am using Office 2002. I am trying to create a chart that has only one Series called Data. The values for DATA is a name called SCROLL_DATA. The name has been defined using the Insert-Name-Define action. The workbook is called Quality Escapes.xls I have entered the following in the values box as I have seen many instruction as follows =Quality Escapes.xls!SCROLL_DATA What am I doing wrong. -- bobburg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bobburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22006 View this thread: http:/...

How do I remove spaces at the beginning of cells?
I have a column of names I need to sort. Unfortunately, some of the cells have 1 or 2 leading spaces, which cause the zero-leading spaces to be sorted, then the one-leading space, then two-leading space. And since there are over 3000 names to be sorted, doing them by hand is problematic. One way... Use a temporary helper column and enter a formula like this: =TRIM(A1) Copy that formula down as far as needed. Then, select the entire range of formulas and do: Right click>Copy Right click>Paste Special>Values>OK Compare the 2 columns and make sure the helpe...

Paste a chart as a link?
Can you paste a chart as a link within the same workbook? I have a large workbook, with a different worksheet for each location. Each of these worksheets has a large data range which I add to each month. Next to the data range I have a corresponding chart. This makes it easy to update the chart each month, by dragging the color-coded range for the entire data series. What I need to do is display all of the charts together in one worksheet. I’ve tried moving them all to a separate worksheet, but then it’s difficult to update them. (no more color ranges) Is there an easier way to ...

Live Charts in PPT 2007
Is it possible to do the following: 1. Create an Excel Spreadsheet in PPT 2. Create a chart from the data in that spreadsheet 3. Link the embedded spreadsheet to the chart so that data changed in the PPT reflects in the chart. 4. In presentation mode, keep the spreadsheet live to that I can change data and have it reflect in the chart without dropping out of presentation mode? I do a lot of sales presentations and I'm hoping to be able to update information on the fly without "going behind the curtain." Thank you. 1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. Yes. 4. Don'...

I need a gap when the result of a formula is blank or zero
Hello everyone, I have a line chart that plots the evolution of an economic indicator over the months. Each of the 12 cells plotted (the source range) has a formula. It fetches a value from a dabase. For all the months to come, the formula shows "" (like empty cell) or a blank (" "). I might use zero, were it needed. But what I need is that beyond the current month, the line makes a gap (no dots) instead of treating formulas as zeroes. Are there any parameters or options that could help me? Thank you Vicente Soler Hi, Use NA() instead of zero or "". Charts ...

Excel 2002 parameter query returns some blanks instead of data
Hello and thanks up front... (I'm going bonkers), It's invoice time, so in my "Job Records" file, I'm using a parameter query (Excel 02, Microsoft Query) to return only those records that occur in one specified month. In the original Excel "Job Records" file on which the query is based, one column of data, labeled "PO", lists purchase order names (e.g. "VBL" for a verbal Purchase Order) or numbers (e.g. "102509"). The column is automatically formatted by Excel as "General", and I just let it ride. A second co...

conditional formating for a blank cell
i'm trying to do the following conditional formatting: if the date in the cell is less than TODAY(), make the cell red. if the cell is blank, leave the cell blank with white shading. i've tried the following: cell value is equal to ="" cell value is equal to "" formula is =AND(E8="",E8<TODAY()) and some others that i can't remember at the moment. i've searched this forum and tried all the ideas i could find. anyone have any other ideas? =E8<TODAY() HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >i'm trying to do the follo...

Timeline chart from text containing cells
I have seen great tips here for creating Excel timeline charts from numerical data. My question may be far afield but here it is: is there a way to create a timeline chart from a table organized as follows: 1) Years 2004 to 2009 as column headings, columns B-G 2) Product descriptions as row titles in column A 3) keywords (such as "RE", "EX", "FS") in the intersecting cells Can Excel convert these key words to distinctive symbols (such as a square bullet, round bullet, diamond shaped bullet) and create a timeline chart? So it's like a Gantt chart with...

How do Bar chart where Bar colour changes with different data Valu
hi, I would like to develop a Bar chart, which changes its bar colour for different data values. e.g for a cell format and to change colour of a cell for different values we can use conditional format. Hi, Have a look an Jon's example of conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy Zeeshan wrote: > hi, > I would like to develop a Bar chart, which changes its bar colour for > different data values. e.g for a cell format and to change colour of a cell > for different values we can use conditional format. -- Andy Pope, Micro...

How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel?
I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible when my charts are created. Can I set new color defaults for charts created in Excel? Hi, You can set the colours for chart lines and fill. Menu Tools > Options. On the Color tab is a set of colours for Line and Fill. Cheers Andy pro user wrote: > I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end > up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible > when my char...

Line Spacing #2
How do I vary line spacing within a Cel? Bernie Beal. Hi Bernie, Varying line spacing within a cell can be done by hitting the Alt key followed by the Enter key within the cell to force a wrap around of text in that cell. To add more free lines, just keep hitting Alt- Enter. Hope that helps. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Kim Hartnet www.excelwell-excel-templates.110mb.com "The best place on the net for free & inexpensive Excel templates, macros and spreadsheets" ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~...

blank epay data
I use MSMoney 2005 epay to pay bills. A transaction has just cleared my bank in the number range used by MSMoney but has blank information. Looking at MSMoney, I can see where I used epay for check numbers #5908 and #5910. The phantom transaction is #5909 and it is totally blank, except for the money amount, date and check number To make matters worse, #5008 was the last epay transaction I performed on my old machine, and #5910 is the first known transaction on my new machine. I copied the files from the old machine to the new machine. After I discovered this problem I went back...

blank field in rule OE6
How can i add a rule that an empty subject will be removed The reason is that you cannot add a blank field Any idea's ThanX Anthony Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Antho...

chart hide number in Y axis
Hello I would like to do the following : in the axis of a graph : show the numbers from 1-100, hide the numbers 100-500 and show 500-600 I have been trying to format the axis but there is no option for this I think the only way might be to work wity a secondary y axis Any suggestions ? cheers Petra - Do you want to break the axis between 100 and 500? Try my example: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html or a similar example on Tushar Mehta's site (http://tushar-mehta.com). Do you want to keep the axis, complete with tick marks and the proportional spaci...