Chart with merged rows

Another question for EXCEL gurus !

I have a  chart with 56 rows (corresponding to 56 weeks in a year),
each of which is composed of merging 7 rows (corresponding to 7
days/week). How can I get a graph with the values in these merged
columns ? Selecting these and clicking the chart icon does not produce
anything !

X-axis C, Y-axis - D
A                   B                        C                D
13. Aug.	Sunday	                     33	       23:55:00
14. Aug.	Monday
15. Aug.	Tuesday
16. Aug.	Wednesday
17. Aug.	Thursday
18. Aug.	Friday
19. Aug.	Saturday
20. Aug.	Sunday	                    34	      30:55:00
21. Aug.	Monday
22. Aug.	Tuesday
23. Aug.	Wednesday
24. Aug.	Thursday
25. Aug.	Friday
26. Aug.	Saturday

Thank you !

0
iyerns (4)

You may want to try this technique.. i've used it for situations
similar to the one you describe.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse_thread/thread/8fb7746b4cc1ca0b/138e5b586f7a5e13?lnk=gst&q=visible+rows+filter&rnum=1#138e5b586f7a5e13

I am not 100% sure you will get what you are looking for as I suspect
excel will interpret your y-axis as time of day values.

HTH
-Will

iyerns@gmail.com wrote:
> Another question for EXCEL gurus !
>
> I have a  chart with 56 rows (corresponding to 56 weeks in a year),
> each of which is composed of merging 7 rows (corresponding to 7
> days/week). How can I get a graph with the values in these merged
> columns ? Selecting these and clicking the chart icon does not produce
> anything !
>
> X-axis C, Y-axis - D
> A                   B                        C                D
> 13. Aug.	Sunday	                     33	       23:55:00
> 14. Aug.	Monday
> 15. Aug.	Tuesday
> 16. Aug.	Wednesday
> 17. Aug.	Thursday
> 18. Aug.	Friday
> 19. Aug.	Saturday
> 20. Aug.	Sunday	                    34	      30:55:00
> 21. Aug.	Monday
> 22. Aug.	Tuesday
> 23. Aug.	Wednesday
> 24. Aug.	Thursday
> 25. Aug.	Friday
> 26. Aug.	Saturday
>
> Thank you !

I asked in your previous thread which data you wanted to plot where in what
kind of chart. This doesn't answer my question, only restates the initial
problem.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<iyerns@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Another question for EXCEL gurus !
>
> I have a  chart with 56 rows (corresponding to 56 weeks in a year),
> each of which is composed of merging 7 rows (corresponding to 7
> days/week). How can I get a graph with the values in these merged
> columns ? Selecting these and clicking the chart icon does not produce
> anything !
>
> X-axis C, Y-axis - D
> A                   B                        C                D
> 13. Aug. Sunday                      33        23:55:00
> 14. Aug. Monday
> 15. Aug. Tuesday
> 16. Aug. Wednesday
> 17. Aug. Thursday
> 18. Aug. Friday
> 19. Aug. Saturday
> 20. Aug. Sunday                     34       30:55:00
> 21. Aug. Monday
> 22. Aug. Tuesday
> 23. Aug. Wednesday
> 24. Aug. Thursday
> 25. Aug. Friday
> 26. Aug. Saturday
>
> Thank you !

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/26/2006 1:59:17 AM
Any kind of chart would be ok, say bar graph.
X-axis Column C, Y-axis - column D

Jon Peltier wrote:
> I asked in your previous thread which data you wanted to plot where in what
> kind of chart. This doesn't answer my question, only restates the initial
> problem.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> <iyerns@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Another question for EXCEL gurus !
> >
> > I have a  chart with 56 rows (corresponding to 56 weeks in a year),
> > each of which is composed of merging 7 rows (corresponding to 7
> > days/week). How can I get a graph with the values in these merged
> > columns ? Selecting these and clicking the chart icon does not produce
> > anything !
> >
> > X-axis C, Y-axis - D
> > A                   B                        C                D
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > 13. Aug. Sunday                      33        23:55:00
> > 14. Aug. Monday
> > 15. Aug. Tuesday
> > 16. Aug. Wednesday
> > 17. Aug. Thursday
> > 18. Aug. Friday
> > 19. Aug. Saturday
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > 20. Aug. Sunday                     34       30:55:00
> > 21. Aug. Monday
> > 22. Aug. Tuesday
> > 23. Aug. Wednesday
> > 24. Aug. Thursday
> > 25. Aug. Friday
> > 26. Aug. Saturday
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Thank you !

0
iyerns (4)
8/26/2006 12:33:33 PM
First of all, let me remind you that if you start with properly prepared
data, so many tasks in Excel become much easier. Merging cells or inserting
blank rows and columns may help with readability of tables, but it screws up
charting, pivot tables, and many other Excel capabilities. It's better to
have multiple data ranges, linked together to assure they all reflect the
same data; one range can be formatted appropriately for charting (but not
shown to the readers of the spreadsheet), and another range can be formatted
for easier human comprehension or because someone's stupid manager likes it
that way.

Merging cells can cause all kinds of problems, in fact, including
interfering with Excel's ability to recognize how to parse data ranges for
such tasks as charting. As you've discovered. If you can do away with
merging of cells, I urge you to do so. Often you can simulate merging of
cells through formatting of borders, or by using the Center Across Selection
horizontal alignment.

If you decline to follow this advice, you can still chart the data. However,
you cannot rely on Excel to parse the range using the Data Source dialog.
Instead, in step 2 of the Chart Wizard or in the Source Data Dialog from the
Chart menu, click on the Series tab, and explicitly select the ranges for
the Name, Values, and X Values or Category Labels. Note that Excel will not
assume one point per merged cell, but rather one point and enough gaps in
the data to account for the rest of the cells that comprise each merged
cell.

- Jon
-------

> Any kind of chart would be ok, say bar graph.
> X-axis Column C, Y-axis - column D
>
> Jon Peltier wrote:
>> I asked in your previous thread which data you wanted to plot where in
>> what
>> kind of chart. This doesn't answer my question, only restates the initial
>> problem.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> <iyerns@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Another question for EXCEL gurus !
>> >
>> > I have a  chart with 56 rows (corresponding to 56 weeks in a year),
>> > each of which is composed of merging 7 rows (corresponding to 7
>> > days/week). How can I get a graph with the values in these merged
>> > columns ? Selecting these and clicking the chart icon does not produce
>> > anything !
>> >
>> > X-axis C, Y-axis - D
>> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > A                   B                        C                D
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > 13. Aug. Sunday                      33        23:55:00
>> > 14. Aug. Monday
>> > 15. Aug. Tuesday
>> > 16. Aug. Wednesday
>> > 17. Aug. Thursday
>> > 18. Aug. Friday
>> > 19. Aug. Saturday
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > 20. Aug. Sunday                     34       30:55:00
>> > 21. Aug. Monday
>> > 22. Aug. Tuesday
>> > 23. Aug. Wednesday
>> > 24. Aug. Thursday