Chart to show response to a question. One of answer 15 choices.

I know this will be simple but I can't figure it out. On a number of given
dates I ask how happy people are and get a number of responses between 1 and
15. I then need to plot the number of occurences of those individual respones
i.e. two people were 2, three people were 7 etc. I guess it might be a simple
X/Y but I just cannot fathom it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Nick.

Hi,

You need to create a summary table of possible responses and tally.

Assuming responses are in A1:A15

in B1:B5 are the value 1 to 5, which are the available responses.
in C1 use =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$15,B1)
copy down thru C5

Now create a column chart on B1:C5

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"PirateSam" <PirateSam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know this will be simple but I can't figure it out. On a number of given
> dates I ask how happy people are and get a number of responses between 1
> and
> 15. I then need to plot the number of occurences of those individual
> respones
> i.e. two people were 2, three people were 7 etc. I guess it might be a
> simple
> X/Y but I just cannot fathom it out.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards, Nick.

0
Andy
11/6/2009 3:28:32 PM
You first need to generate the data. I.e., create either a PivotTable with
Chart (seems a bit overkills for this scenario) or use a few COUNTIF formulas
to determine how many people gave a particular response on each day. Then
plot the formulated data.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"PirateSam" wrote:

> I know this will be simple but I can't figure it out. On a number of given
> dates I ask how happy people are and get a number of responses between 1 and
> 15. I then need to plot the number of occurences of those individual respones
> i.e. two people were 2, three people were 7 etc. I guess it might be a simple
> X/Y but I just cannot fathom it out.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards, Nick.

Is is me? Or is Excel 2007 Charting Lame?
Maybe I'm missing something. If so, let me know. The process of creating a chart is unintuitive and cumbersome. A big step backwards from 2003. The manual says to just select your data and insert the chart. What I find is that 95% of the time, I have to re-do the data selection. If I highlight two columns and insert the graph, Excel thinks both columns are two different series instead of x and y axis. I create two columns, label one of them "X", one of them "Y". Put some numbers below that. Now insert an XY chart. One would think that it could figure out "...

100% Stacked Bar chart, two bars, want percent as well as real value
I am attempting to chart the following: Series 1 - Values over the prior 30 days Series 2 - Values over the prior 12 months I would like to show both data series as 100% bar charts, so users of the information can compare percentage of the last 30 days with percentage of the same piece of data over the last 12 months. So, for example the two data series might look like this: Series 1 20 25 45 65 Series 2 211 324 403 822 I want to display both the actual value, and the percentage of the total, for each series, in the labels. For some reason, showing percentage is not an option. Why is th...

"Show Placeholders" in options/view menu does'nt work.
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...

VC .net 2003 IDE subfolder question
I've been using VC6 for a long time, but finally switched to VC .NET 2003 ... in VC6 I was able to put subfolders within a project. But now I can only place subfolders within a SOLUTION (i.e. subfolders are "outside" of the projects). Is there some way to add a folder within the project? When I say "subfolder" I don't mean Windows directories, I mean just in the classview to visually categorize my classes within a project. My projects are pretty large and I just don't want to have to browse the huge list of classes in class view if I'm only working on a spe...

Show which cell has MAX, MIN values?
At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN formulas. Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or MIN value? At least the row number? Ed Ed, To return the row =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false) or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999 =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1)) or to return other matching information, like a name in column A =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE)) HTH, Bernie MS E...

two checking accounts data downloads to just one of the accts
I have two checking accounts with our bank and when I download transactions into Microsoft Money for either account, all the transactions go to only one of the accounts set up in Money. I was prompted for the first download to our "main" account. Then when I went to download for the other account, I wasn't prompted where to download to... and all the transactions went into the first account. Did that make sense? My bank required we switch to Money from Quicken, so I am new to this. Tried to search in users guide and online for help. Help would be much appreciated - ...

Migrating Mailboxes from one domain to another domain
I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to do something and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I need to migrate user mailboxes from one server to another, easy enough right... well here is where my issues are. server one is in say abc.local domain server two is in say xyz.local domain there are the same users in both domains, with the same naming convention. so to clear that up if i have a user called ttest in domain abc, user ttest is also in xyz. the old administration had seperated these domains due to function and security, but now they want to...

Ten calendar harm one of the products
Ten calendar harm one of the products www.laptop-battery-inc.co.uk/spy-pen.htm ...

Show email address instead of contact name
How can I make Outlook 2000 show the typed email address instead of resolving to the contact name in printouts of the contacts list and in the address boxes of email ? For example, I have a list of contacts in a custom list view with the email fields showing. Several of the entries in the email fields have resolved to the name of the contact. I want to see their email address not their name again. Also, a second example. I have three email addresses for a person, in the Email1, Email2, and Email3 fields. I go to send an email and instead of selecting the default from the addressbook/contact ...

Numbers Chart
I need a 10x10 chart of numbers 1-100 with the numbers vertical. I'm sure there is a quickie way to do it. thanks, CB -- C and A Bredt Top left corner of chart: =ROW(A1)+10*(COLUMN(A1)-1) Copy to a 10x10 area. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "C and A Bredt" wrote: > I need a 10x10 chart of numbers 1-100 with the numbers vertical. > I'm sure there is a quickie way to do it. > thanks, CB > -- > C and A Bredt > Highlight the cells, format > Cells > Alignment and make it 90 degrees. "Luke...

Text Boxes added to Chart Series
How do I keep text boxes that I've added to a data series with the column they belong on? If I change the size of the chart in anyway, I have to move the text boxes back to their respective spots on the chart. Text boxes are not added to a series, but to the chart. This prevents their sticking to any particular points. Could you add them as data labels? If you use a built-in position (i.e., don't drag them around) they will stick with their associated points - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://P...

Access 2007 03-15-07
Hi,Back-end database is located at server. There are 10 clients with 10front-end databases. I want to restrict clients to reach form and reportdesigns and their codes. How can I do it in Access 2007 ?Thx for help! I believe this answer is covered in your previous posted titled "Restricting Front-ends".-- David CongerSoftware Development Engineer in TestMicrosoft Office Access** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. **"Art Vandaley" <kestafir@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e$ixVG0ZHHA.4420@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...> ...

I cannot get "Send" to show up in Toolbar
I think I'm set up for Outlook use, but there is no "Send" button. ?? Iuse Outlook all the time at work--I'm just rying to set it up at home. vincem wrote: > I think I'm set up for Outlook use, but there is no "Send" button. ?? > Iuse Outlook all the time at work--I'm just rying to set it up at home. Have you set up an email account? -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk "Gordon" wrote: > vincem wrote: > > > I think I'm set up for Outlook use, but there is no &...

how to only show first 20 words of a memo field
I have a memo field on a form, how can i show the first 30 characters and add 3 periods after the first 30 words. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200711/1 Use the Left function and add 3 periods: Left(string, length) & "..." "sheniece via AccessMonster.com" wrote: > I have a memo field on a form, how can i show the first 30 characters and > add 3 periods after the first 30 words. > > -- > Message posted via AccessMonster.com > http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums...

Changing info from one worksheet to the next
Hi all. I have linked my 55 sheets to one which is great. What i need to know now if possible. Each sheet has the same question over 11 columns Each row is dated and a numeric number from 1 - 10 in each row Now on the master sheet where everything is linked, is there a way that If i changed the date on the master sheet it would reflect the answers from the row with that date? At present the answers showing is for 01/03/10, but i would like to look at the totals for 08/03/10 and show the answers from each sheet for that date. I could have a sheet for each week, but im hoping there i...

Simple menustrip merge question...
I've got an MDI container form with it's own menustrip control. The menustrip gets merged with any forms opened inside it. No problems. Most are set for MatchOnly or Append. The MDI has an 'About' that I always want to be at the end. But any menu items that get appended always go to the end. How can I change this? ...

RMS should allow you to choose more than one item at a time
RMS should allow you to choose more than one item at a time, this would be helpful in creating PO's. Mutiple item selection is a standard in every software; you really dropped the ball with this one. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

Showing intenet headers on recieved mail
How? I can see how to do it in OE but not Outlook.... "Paul Williams" <paulfoel@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cf82h3$2f6$1@titan.btinternet.com... > How? I can see how to do it in OE but not Outlook.... > > View-Options ...

power options issue 06-15-10
After I click on Control Panel and then Power Options and set my monitor and hard drive to turn off in 15 minutes of inactivity nothing turns off. The only setting that works is turning off the monitor in 1 minute and the hard drive in three minutes. I am not sure what is causing this issue or how to rix it. Task Manager | Processes tab: What's still running in the background? Any Scheduled Tasks which might be interfering? What's your Automatic Updates setting? David Black wrote: > After I click on Control Panel and then Power Options and set my monitor &g...

Side bar chart chinging size
I'm trying to update a side bar chart but every time I open the chart the size of the chart changes in length. Can anyone help me to correct this problem. I have made sure that I sized the chart to 100%, clicked off the auto scale, but nothing has helped. ...

Excel Re-Calc causes network traffic and very slow response times.
Platform: Excel Ver 2003 SP2 Windows XP SP2 Microsoft SBS Server 2003 Workstations: P4 2Ghz, 512 Mb Ram Problem: I have an excel file with hundreds of vlookup and indirect formulas. It has no links to any other spreadsheets. The file resides on a shared network drive on our server. When users do a recalc or change a number in the file causing a recalc it takes about 7 seconds... however after a bit of experimentation I find that if we open the file and then disconnect the workstations network cable the recalc takes less than one second ! Tried saving the file to the local drive of a workstati...

Country not showing up on POS screen
We process many international orders through online channels. When we put the work order into POS, the country doesn't show up on the POS screen. It is kinda hard to type the customers address into the USPS mail program without the country. Please tell me there is something we can do that will make the country show up on the screen so we do not have to add several steps to our processing to find it. (If Z-FIRM's Endicia add-in did International, this would not be an issue.) Mickie you can use the CAPTION FIELDS in CUSTOMER. This information will be displayed in your HTML B...

XML Schema Validation Question
Hello, How can I use XSD to ignore certain nodes of an XML document. Specifically, we have an event that I want to define using XSD. I then want to validate incoming XML events with that XSD. However, I want the payload section of the event to be freeform and thus, *NOT* validated. Is there a way to define a node (and all of it's contents) in an XSD so that the validator requires that the node exists, but does not attempt to validate the contents of the node? Example of the event: <MyEvent> <Header attribute1="true" attribute2="23"/> <Payl...

How do I freeze a chart from scrolling
I want to freeze a chart so as I scroll through data it will not go up or down, I dont want it to be frozen in a horizontal position. Is there a way this can be done? Hi, You would need to freeze a number of rows at the top of the sheet and place the chart there. Or use New Window to create a copy of the worksheet. One would display the chart then other would be used to scroll through the data. Cheers Andy dannie wrote: > I want to freeze a chart so as I scroll through data it will not go up or > down, I dont want it to be frozen in a horizontal position. Is there a way >...

Question about redistributing riched20.dll
I'm developing a freeware project with a "niche audience" of end-users that may have obsolete, "dinosaur" computers with Win95 and Win98-FirstEdition. The application is being upgraded from using a plain multiline MFC CEdit control to using MFC's CRichEditCtrl for better formatting. Win95 only comes with an old version of riched32.dll RICHED32.DLL 4.00.0834.0839 Win98-FE comes with an obsolete version of riched20.dll that is missing several capabilities (RMB context menu, \highlighting, and \sa space-after don't seem to work correctly, plus other glitches) R...