Chart to show response to a question. One of answer 15 choices.

I know this will be simple but I can't figure it out. On a number of given
dates I ask how happy people are and get a number of responses between 1 and
15. I then need to plot the number of occurences of those individual respones
i.e. two people were 2, three people were 7 etc. I guess it might be a simple
X/Y but I just cannot fathom it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Nick.

Hi,

You need to create a summary table of possible responses and tally.

Assuming responses are in A1:A15

in B1:B5 are the value 1 to 5, which are the available responses.
in C1 use =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$15,B1)
copy down thru C5

Now create a column chart on B1:C5

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"PirateSam" <PirateSam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know this will be simple but I can't figure it out. On a number of given
> dates I ask how happy people are and get a number of responses between 1
> and
> 15. I then need to plot the number of occurences of those individual
> respones
> i.e. two people were 2, three people were 7 etc. I guess it might be a
> simple
> X/Y but I just cannot fathom it out.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards, Nick.

0
Andy
11/6/2009 3:28:32 PM
You first need to generate the data. I.e., create either a PivotTable with
Chart (seems a bit overkills for this scenario) or use a few COUNTIF formulas
to determine how many people gave a particular response on each day. Then
plot the formulated data.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"PirateSam" wrote:

> I know this will be simple but I can't figure it out. On a number of given
> dates I ask how happy people are and get a number of responses between 1 and
> 15. I then need to plot the number of occurences of those individual respones
> i.e. two people were 2, three people were 7 etc. I guess it might be a simple
> X/Y but I just cannot fathom it out.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards, Nick.

Help
Hope someone can see the error of my way. I have a workbook saves as a template. Each week I receive a new excel file (data dump) from payroll timesheets of all the employee's hours charged to the different job codes and projects they worked on for the week. With this file open, I run the below macro. I only use two colunms, job numbers and hours from the original file. I copy the two columns, then open the template, paste the data into the newly created file, input the week ending date in a cell (that cell is referenced in the chart title), then do a save, then ask for it to calculat...

How to assign datalabels to a scatter chart, obtaining the labels.
How to assign data labels to the points of an xy scatter diagram (excell 2003)? The labels are to be fetched from a column in the data sheet, but not from one of the columns containing the x- and y-values. This should be possible. How can I do this? Thanks in advance. You can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to add labels. It's a free add-in that you can download from his web site: http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Jos Koot wrote: > How to assign data labels to the points of an xy scatter diagram (excell > 2003)? The labels are to be fetched from a col...

IFS File Type Question
We have Exchange Server 2003 installed on a Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition. Originally, the Information Store was located on the C: drive. We then installed a sepearate drive to house the Information Store and the log files are still written to the C: drive. In the c:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA directory, there are several files that are 256K each dating back to 11/2003 with a file extension of .IFS. There are also several of these files dating back to 4/2004 in the L:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\Employee Mailboxes folder on the L: drive where our information store is located. Can...

Mailbox Manager Question
Dear all, Does anyone know how to set Recipient policy to just effect certain selected users. I try to set up a policy to delete inbox of certain personnel on a periodic basic but what I get is the policy applies to all mailbox. I am using Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server, all with latest patches. Please help. Thanks. Regards, Kueh. Hi Kueh, You can do this by setting a common value for an attribute on each of these users (in ADUC). You could use Extension Attribute1/Custom Attribute 1, and the value might be mailboxManager. Then when creating your mailbox manager policy,...

transfer investment account from one .mny file to another
Hi, I am using Microsoft Money Plus Home & Business version 17.0.150.1415. I use it to keep track of my personal finances in one .mny file, and I use it to keep track of business finances in another .mny file. In the .mny file for my business, I just created an Investment account and added about ten stocks to it. I should have created this in my personal .mny file. Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can move this one investment account (and the stocks included in it) from my business .mny file to my personal ..mny file? Thanks in advance, Paul -- Paul Kraemer In m...

Serialization Question #3
MFC provides CArchive in support of serialization. We can save and open an object in a persistent way. Here is my furthur question: How to derive a class from CArchive and let it remember the current caret position and clipboard objects such that we get the same environment when we open the object next time. You don't derive from CArchive for this. You would derive a different class, such as CSmartEdit, from a CEdit, that would serialize the edit control and also the GetPos() values. That has nothing to do with CArchive. And it would be a Really Bad Idea to modify the clipboard withou...

pivot chart mystery fields
I've been given the task to reverse engineer an excel pivot chart that an ex-employee created. When i look at the data source it pulls in all the fields from a particular table from an access database. However, once it gets to Step 3, and i select Layout, all of a sudden there are these extra fields that have appeared from no where! The data in these extra fields is used as grouping for the pivot chart. There is nothing in the query telling it to create extra fields, it just pulls everything from the table. When i told the chart to list all formulas (thinking they might be calcu...

question....Can a query retrieve data from a streaming java table?
I have been told it cant but would like to make sure by asking a few more technically minded people.............. If it can would someone like to let me know how to go about capturing some data? thanks ....... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Birthdays showing up twice or more
My Outlook 2003 is showing birthdays multiple times for one person. Yet, the contact is only in my Contacts folder once. How can I get rid of the additional birthdays on the calendar? I have deleted them in the past, last year. But they are back again. John Are you importing your contacts into new psts? If the calendar item is created by the contact (and not getting duplicated by syncing with a PDA) you should only have one unless you edit the date or something that makes the contact think it needs to create a new one. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook...

Label Question
I have a report that is grouped by lawsuit type. Example Civil, Class Action. In the lawsuit_type footer I have a count that counts each group. The current label is Lawsuit Type Count. Is there a way so myb label can say Civil Count and then for the section with Class Action say Class Action count? I am not sure of the syntax. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Change the label to a text box and set the control source to something like: =[LawsuitType] & " Count" -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "scott04" wrote: > I have a report that is groupe...

show only the required part of the sheet
i want excell to display only the selected part of the sheet where there is data in it and rest all should not be displayed. e.g. from a1 to aa155 should only be displayed. select the entire row 156 shift end down to highlight the rest of the sheet hit Ctrl 9 (hides rows) select column AB shift end right to highlight the rest of the sheet and press Ctrl 0 ( hides columns) to unhide rows highlight the entire sheet (by clicking on the top left corner)and press Ctrl shift 9 column Ctrl shift 0 -- davesexcel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ daves...

Stop sheet showing when Using Datapig's Force Users to enable macr
Hi, I think this is probably not do-able I'm using Datapig Technologies example to force users to enable macros When the workbook is closed all sheets other than a warning sheet are very hidden so that if the workbook is opened with macros disabled then the user can only see a warning sheet saying to close and open with macros enabled. Then on opening with macros enabled the waring sheet is very hidden and the other sheets can be seen. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheets("Warning").Visible = True Sh...

Is using XmlSerializer the right choice?
Hi all I'm learning XML and .NET and I saw an example of using XmlSerializer to deserialize an XML file to get the corresponding object in memory. I found it very useful for my purpose. However, for simple properties it works for me, but I actually need a bit more than just properties. For example, my class actually contains a collection of strings as well, now is using XmlSerializer the right choice? I don't know how many there will be, but ideally I can just create a file (say an XML) and add as many strings as necessary such that they will be added to the collection of th...

Rotating Stock Charts in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have read the threads on rotating Excel charts and realise that Stock charts cannot be rotated there. But I must rotate and put side by side 4 such charts (High-Low-Close). I cannot rotate them in Word or Powerpoint - the rotate function is disabled. I can rotate them and appose them very well in Appleworks but then I lose a lot of definition in the chart and the text. Any solution either in Microsoft or Appleworks <br> Thanks, <br> Kev Kev_Astan@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating...

Question for the MVP's
For the Dynamics MVP's who hang out here, it looks like Convergence and the MVP summit overlap this year. Are you going to one or the other and why? Mark (dynamicaccounting.net) ...

Question #5
"How to customize the menus by an individual user ?" My teacher ask me this question today. i wish that excel really had the USER feature, or is he meaning user accounts in windows 2000/xp. thanks for helping. If you want to know how you can customize an Excel menu here are some places to look. Toolbars, Custom Buttons and Menus http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/toolbars.htm Custom Menus in Excel 97 , Tip 53 "Menu Maker", John Walkenbach. http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip53.htm As far as whether it is an Excel question or a Windows question goes, I...

Is Money Still a Good Choice?
Folks, I have been a Money user since 1999 when it was free. Prior to that I was a Quicken user and I am currently using Money 2003 Deluxe. I have read through many of these threads in this newsgroup via Google and I realize a few things: 1. Many people in this NG use this program to extents WAY beyond what I do currently and have knowledge of it's capabilities and liabilities. 2. It seems that each succeeding version of Money gets bigger and more bloated while simultaneously getting less stable and useful overall. I am getting older each year like everyone else, and I would like to get...

Rules and ALerts question
Using Office 2003 and Windows XP. I put a new Rule and Alert in the system and having a problem. When I ask the program to run the rule now, it works BUT when it simply is running, the rule does not work. Why should this be? I am removing an item by the subject and moving it to deleted files. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Is it possible that more than one rule is acting on a particular message and producing unexpected results? Try adding "stop processing more rules" to your rules and see if that helps. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent t...

Reporting Services will not show URL
Working with a Windows 7 Professional machine with an x 64 AMD processor. Trying to install SQL Express 2008 Advanced Services. The problem occurs in the reporting services - after the install. During the install we pick the "Install Native Mode default configuration" for reporting services. The install completes with "SUCCESS" for all components. When we go to reporting services, the URLs for WebServices and Report Manager are both blank. If we go to "advanced" and either edit or add a port... we can see the progress messages "Reserving por...

Can't Include more than one data range in chart

Move Exchange '03 from one server to another?
Hi, I've gotta move exchange onto another machine but cannot find any documentation on this for V2003. Is it as simple as moving the information store and pointing the clients to the new server? Thanks in advance The simplest method would be to install the new server into the Administrative Group, then moving the mailboxes to the new server. Wait about a week before decommissioning the old server, this way when your Outlook clients login, because the server is in the same Admin group, they will automatically be redirected to the new server without you having to manually change their ...

Outlook 2003 and mail server question...
I have Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 on different PCs, but they both have a behavior that I find baffling. I have to keep some files on the mail server to be able to access them from work and home, but to keep the mail server from filling up, I thought I'd make sub folders on my desktops and place messages I want to keep in them. When I do, they are no longer in my inbox, but they are still on my hosting company's mail server. Why don't messages get deleted from the mail server when they are removed from the Inbox in Outlook? IMHO, that's the way it should work....not ...

How can you clear multiple transactions at one time?
When balancing a checking account, I enter the statement date, ending balance and click next. All of the transactions that have an E are not marked as C. However if the balance is not correct, I have to uncheck everything and start matching transactions to the paper/electornic statement to find the missing entry. My question is... How can I clear All of these transactions at once. I have been clicking each entry to change it back from a C to an E. When I have 50 transactions in a month, this is a pain. There should be a way to mark or clear multiple entries at once. Does anyone kn...

How to show customer payment?
Hi everybody. I just started using Money 2003 Deluxe for my business (services-based). I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow print a statement or receipt that would show Customer address info, when they paid, for what project, remaining balance, etc. I tried the statements but it doesn't provide all the info I need. I also tried the invoice designer with no luck. Does anyone here have any ideas or methods for getting around this? Would certainly appreciate any help with this. Jason ...

How do I email a 6-page newsletter so all 6 pages show up?
I created a 6-page newsletter but when I email it only the 1st page shows up. Anyone know how to get it all to send & not show the editing lines & box outlines??? Send it via PDF. There are free converters around. Most, if not all, folks have the Acrobat Reader. Your lines and outlines will not show up. If you aren't sure turn them off in the View menu. What version Publisher are you using? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+pdf+converter -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "cklabunde" &...